Mind if I join the club?

Acerider
Acerider Member Posts: 3

Good morning, all. I've been diagnosed with RCC (left kidney, Stage 3) and am scheduled for a radical laparoscopic nephrectomy Aug. 9th. It's all a little surreal still, and I'm not certain it's sunk in completely, but I've been reading up anyway in an effort to be better-informed about any potential lifestyle changes  (activity, diet, etc.). I have an excellent surgeon and no real concerns about the procedure itself, so I'm finding that the hardest part right now is the wait to get this thing out of me. I hope to add to the success stories I've read on this board. Thanks for reading, and have a great day!

Comments

• stub1969
    stub1969 Member Posts: 966 Member
    Good morning, Ace

And welcome to the club no one wants to join.  "Surreal" is putting it lightly.  I was diagnosed just over a year ago and had a partial late August 2016 at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN.  I, too, had an excellent surgeon, but I stilll felt like I was hit by a truck and then backed over by it.....several times.  In any event, I'm sure if you've read some of the posts on this board, you realize that there are some amazing members here.  Ask questions over the next couple days leading up to your surgery and keep us updated post-surgery.  We're here to help and support you.

Blessings----Stub

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    So sorry you have to be here

So sorry you have to be here but it's a wonderful place for support and information. I agree that waiting is nerve wrecking. Hopefully all this will soon be behind you. All the very best to you!

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Initiation

Ace,

Your iniiation is right  around the corner.

Icemantoo

• Max57
    Max57 Member Posts: 177 Member
    Stage 3

I hate to say welcome...but you with us now I hope you recover very soon .....but how did you know you stage 3 ? That's going to be determined by the pathological  lab after the surgery 

• Acerider
    edited August 2017 #6
    Max57 said:

Stage 3

I hate to say welcome...but you with us now I hope you recover very soon .....but how did you know you stage 3 ? That's going to be determined by the pathological  lab after the surgery 

My surgeon staged it based on

My surgeon staged it based on the size as shown by the CT scan and the fact that I was passing blood, which was how this whole thing came to light to start with. I had no indication at all that this was happening until the blood. 

Thank you for the well -wishes.

• Acerider
    stub1969 said:

Good morning, Ace

And welcome to the club no one wants to join.  "Surreal" is putting it lightly.  I was diagnosed just over a year ago and had a partial late August 2016 at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN.  I, too, had an excellent surgeon, but I stilll felt like I was hit by a truck and then backed over by it.....several times.  In any event, I'm sure if you've read some of the posts on this board, you realize that there are some amazing members here.  Ask questions over the next couple days leading up to your surgery and keep us updated post-surgery.  We're here to help and support you.

Blessings----Stub

Thank you. I know that as far

Thank you. I know that as far as the procedure itself goes, I'm going to go to sleep for a while and it'll be over when I wake up. It's being hit by the truck while I'm asleep that I'm not excited about :)

• sblairc
    sblairc Member Posts: 585 Member
    edited August 2017 #8
    Pre-surgical staging: An educated estimation I think.

As previously said, the only staging really worth counting on is pathological staging after the surgery. They need to get a microscopic view of where the cancer is located, where it moved toward and such. It gets weighed, stained, measured, and your surgeon also gets a visual inspection of internal organs. The other part of staging will also come from additional tests such as chest and abdominal CT (in case you didn't have a chest CT) so a view of your lungs can be obtained. If you are interested, the staging is called TN. There is good information online about it. 

Usually when there is blood, the tumor is considered "locally advanced" but not always. I had a friend get his kidney cancer tumor "downgraded" after surgery to Stage 2 from Stage 3 as it was actually not infiltrating anywhere critical. My husband has a Stage 3 tumor that his surgeon described as 'way better than he originally thought would be possible" after the surgery. 

Best wishes to you. 

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    I was peeing straight blood

I was peeing straight blood for hours and that's why they sent me for a CT scan. Turned out to be Stage 1a RCC. So all that bleeding doesn't necessarily mean it's an advanced stage. I was told it was close to the collecting duct and hence all the blood.

• Bay Area Guy
    Bay Area Guy Member Posts: 618 Member
    Sorry for your membership in

Sorry for your membership in the club.  Take some comfort in the fact that the surgery is laparoscopic.  It's still not fun, but it's a darn sight better than an open procedure.

May your surgery be boring and uneventful and may your recovery be swift.

Remember to walk as soon as the nurses tell you.  It really does help the healing process.

• hardo718
    hardo718 Member Posts: 853 Member
    edited August 2017 #11
    Welcome Ace

As others have stated, pre-pathology staging should be taken with a grain of salt.  Best wishes and please keep us posted.

Donna~