Long term drug effectiveness

Options
Dutch1
Dutch1 Member Posts: 152

I have had great success with Votrient.  The RCC had come back twice in my chest and Votrient has been very effective in controlling it.  Obviously, I'm very happy about that.  

It's been about 18 months under the Votrient treatment.  Whether it's Votrient or some other chemo drug, what are some stories from our group as to expeiences with the longer term use of a single chemo drug.  How long did it work for you?  Can the right drug in the right cancer scenario work for years rather than months?  What do you understand to be the medical implications of long term use?  

Thanks for any input you can offer.

Dutch

Comments

• rhominator
    rhominator Member Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    3 Years on Votrient

Hi Dutch,

I was on Votrient for 3 years.  I had my ups and downs with side-effects, but I was able to land a new job and keep working while I was on it.  Now I'm on Opdivo, going on 6 months.  I hope it works long term too.

Implications of long term use? Stage IV and I'm still here! Laughing  No, really, Votrient made me weak and fatigued, which was a demoralizer. But as soon as I was off the drug I immediately got my energy back, and I'm working on restoring my strength and fitness.  Although, my dark hair isn't returning as fast as my fitness--it's still mostly white. FrownWink

• Dutch1
    Options
    Thanks for the info.  I see

Thanks for the info.  I see some similarities in our situations.  Best wishes to you.

Dutch

• cubsfan9
    cubsfan9 Member Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Sutent 4 1/2 yrs

Good Morning!

Husband has been on Sutent for 4 1/2 years with mostly stability after the first year.  As the oncologist put it, "sometimes you strike out and sometimes you hit a home run".  We are thankful that we got the home run!

Implications?  While each round is a little different, we pretty much know what to expect and know when something is 'off'.  I don't think the side effects have lessened, but they aren't significantly worse either.  We have learned ways to stay ahead of things and that helps.  Kidney function has remained steady, other labs are so-so with some blood counts being borderline.  Unless something changes--either growth or worsening side effects--the plan is to continue on Sutent.

• Dutch1
    Options
    cubsfan9 said:

Sutent 4 1/2 yrs

Good Morning!

Husband has been on Sutent for 4 1/2 years with mostly stability after the first year.  As the oncologist put it, "sometimes you strike out and sometimes you hit a home run".  We are thankful that we got the home run!

Implications?  While each round is a little different, we pretty much know what to expect and know when something is 'off'.  I don't think the side effects have lessened, but they aren't significantly worse either.  We have learned ways to stay ahead of things and that helps.  Kidney function has remained steady, other labs are so-so with some blood counts being borderline.  Unless something changes--either growth or worsening side effects--the plan is to continue on Sutent.

I hope to match your husband

I hope to match your husband's success.  My run with Sutent was about a year.  

Thanks for the info.  Best wishes.

Dutch