Glioblastoma- lack of symptoms?

Hi- My 77 year old mother just passed away 3 months ago from Glioblastoma. Now that time has passed I am more and more confused about her death because she had no real symptoms (at least that she told me about). She was found unconscious, rushed to the hospital and died 3 days later. We tried to get her to surgery (which would have helped with the bleeding she had in the brain) but the doctors told us if she made it to surgery she would only have 6-8 months to live.  She would need chemo and radiation. In the hospital, she was awake for a few hours and was paralyzed on the right side of her body. She could talk a little but I did not tell her the prognosis. I am pretty sure she assumed she had a stroke. The next day she started stuggling to breathe two days later we had to take her off the ventilator and she died. I was told by the doctors that it was a blessing she did not suffer because Glioblastoma can be a hard way to die. But I am still in shock because it all happened so fast. I guess in my own selfish way I wish I could've said good bye. She was not only my mother but my best friend.

I am struggling here with the sudden loss of my mother and I am looking for any answers. When I was in the hospital with my mother and the doctors were telling me my mom was dying I didn't know what questions to ask. Where were her symptoms? How did we not know this? Now when I research the cancer, I am learning there are lots of signs.  Has anyone ever heard of someone dying quickly without knowing they had Glioblastoma? My Mom never even knew what happened. It was almost like she had an aneurysm. If you know anything about this please let me know.

I know she didn't suffer and that is about the only thing that brings me peace.

Thank you.

Comments

• karent26
    karent26 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Julie

Hi Julie

I was diagnosed with GBM in July 2016... this year... I had very few symptoms... it wasn't until after I was diagnosed that I remembered my touch of tiredness... small weight loss that I put down to a change in eating habits... after a lifetime of being a chocoholic I stopped eating as much so I put my weight loss down to that... I had been having a few problems with words but put that down to needing a holiday... your mum probably felt the same...did the same I was diagnosed... operated on... put on Chemo and Radiation in a matter of 5 weeks... I have read so much about GBM that although I'm not scared of death... I am worried about what my family are going to go through as I leave this life... if I was in your Mums shoes... I would want it the same way... quick and pain free... because it's not about quantity... it's quality... I finally starting feeling ok after all my treatment and being taken off chemo because my body can't tolerate it and I am starting to notice swelling... headaches and strange feelings inside my skull... vision problem and fatigue... I am fighting with myself over... do I ring the Dr before or after Christmas... I don’t want to ruin our possible last Christmas together... so don't blame the Dr's they did the right thing... GBM is aggressive and as nasty as hell... it totally depends on what part of the brain it grows in... for the symptoms and llife expectancy... your mother wouldn't have wanted to put you through more or go through more herself because I know I wouldn't and don't want too... love to you and yours... oh and I know your Mum loves you and is watching over you and wants you to be happy xxx

• JCee
    JCee Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2017 #3
    Lack of symptoms until serious apparently common

Bless your heart from mine...my 70 year old partner of 12 years was in fantastic physical shape right before his diagnosis.  I'm an RN in an acute care hospital and saw the most minor of things.  He was leaving lights on; he left the stove top burner on, and was seemingly distracted at times.  He'd gone on a trip with his primary care physician who also noticed nothing.  It was only when, funnily enough, that he left the toilet seat up a half dozen times that I finally insisted he see his doctor who in turn ordered an MRI.  We were all stunned at the images.  It ended up being a grade 4 gliosarcoma...pretty rare.

Everyone we've dealt with states that we were lucky (if you can say such a thing).  Most GBMS aren't revealed until after a stroke or seizure.

Anyway you consider it, death by brain cancer is horrible.  I do hope you find peace.  We haven't had any since November. It's like being in a zombie nightmare from which we will never awaken.

• juliekahan
    juliekahan Member Posts: 4
    JCee said:

Lack of symptoms until serious apparently common

Bless your heart from mine...my 70 year old partner of 12 years was in fantastic physical shape right before his diagnosis.  I'm an RN in an acute care hospital and saw the most minor of things.  He was leaving lights on; he left the stove top burner on, and was seemingly distracted at times.  He'd gone on a trip with his primary care physician who also noticed nothing.  It was only when, funnily enough, that he left the toilet seat up a half dozen times that I finally insisted he see his doctor who in turn ordered an MRI.  We were all stunned at the images.  It ended up being a grade 4 gliosarcoma...pretty rare.

Everyone we've dealt with states that we were lucky (if you can say such a thing).  Most GBMS aren't revealed until after a stroke or seizure.

Anyway you consider it, death by brain cancer is horrible.  I do hope you find peace.  We haven't had any since November. It's like being in a zombie nightmare from which we will never awaken.

thank you

Thank you for your kind words. I never checked back to look if anyone repied to my story until now....a year after my mom died. I was (and still am) so desparate to understand how one minute she was fine and then died so quickly. She too seemed distracted at times and was tired. I never would've thought she had a malignant tumor. I know I am blessed that she never knew that  because that would have scared her so much. Thank you for sharing your story. I am thinking of you and your words helped me a lot. Monday she will have been gone 1 year.

Julie

• juliekahan
    karent26 said:

Hi Julie

Hi Julie

I was diagnosed with GBM in July 2016... this year... I had very few symptoms... it wasn't until after I was diagnosed that I remembered my touch of tiredness... small weight loss that I put down to a change in eating habits... after a lifetime of being a chocoholic I stopped eating as much so I put my weight loss down to that... I had been having a few problems with words but put that down to needing a holiday... your mum probably felt the same...did the same I was diagnosed... operated on... put on Chemo and Radiation in a matter of 5 weeks... I have read so much about GBM that although I'm not scared of death... I am worried about what my family are going to go through as I leave this life... if I was in your Mums shoes... I would want it the same way... quick and pain free... because it's not about quantity... it's quality... I finally starting feeling ok after all my treatment and being taken off chemo because my body can't tolerate it and I am starting to notice swelling... headaches and strange feelings inside my skull... vision problem and fatigue... I am fighting with myself over... do I ring the Dr before or after Christmas... I don’t want to ruin our possible last Christmas together... so don't blame the Dr's they did the right thing... GBM is aggressive and as nasty as hell... it totally depends on what part of the brain it grows in... for the symptoms and llife expectancy... your mother wouldn't have wanted to put you through more or go through more herself because I know I wouldn't and don't want too... love to you and yours... oh and I know your Mum loves you and is watching over you and wants you to be happy xxx

thinking of you

Thank you for your words and story. I am so sorry you are going through this. What you said helped me so much. I understand what my mom would've thought if she would've lived to hear her diagnosis. I am sending love and healing your way. I am thinking of you today and always.

XOXOXO

• Jo's Daughter
    Jo's Daughter Member Posts: 1

thank you

Thank you for your kind words. I never checked back to look if anyone repied to my story until now....a year after my mom died. I was (and still am) so desparate to understand how one minute she was fine and then died so quickly. She too seemed distracted at times and was tired. I never would've thought she had a malignant tumor. I know I am blessed that she never knew that  because that would have scared her so much. Thank you for sharing your story. I am thinking of you and your words helped me a lot. Monday she will have been gone 1 year.

Julie

Julie, 

Julie, 

My mom is in the hospital at this very moment. We are waiting to see if it is glioblastoma or lymphoma. Just last week she was fine and her independent, energetic, self. Now, she is someone who is very different. Has developed OCD, extreme memory loss, unresponsive at times. My heart goes out to you. Her decline is happening very rapid. God Bless you.

• juliekahan

Julie, 

Julie, 

My mom is in the hospital at this very moment. We are waiting to see if it is glioblastoma or lymphoma. Just last week she was fine and her independent, energetic, self. Now, she is someone who is very different. Has developed OCD, extreme memory loss, unresponsive at times. My heart goes out to you. Her decline is happening very rapid. God Bless you.

your Mom

Hi! Thank you for your response. What did the doctor say? Your Mom sounds just like my mom....everything happened so fast. Please let me know what is happening when you have a chance. I don't get notifications when someone writes but I will check back every day.

Thinking of you every day. Stay strong, Julie