Follow Up Scans Revisited

Steve.Adam
Steve.Adam Member Posts: 463 Member
edited June 2017 in Kidney Cancer #1

I had a ct scan on Thursday and Today I got my first NED...

But, it might be my last because apparently no further scans are required (except an ultrasound in six months to 'monitor renal bed').

Now isn't that strange? I assumed I'd get a similar follow up protocol to you North Americans.

Are there any other Australians reading this?

The doc I talked to today said my GP could monitor things so I guess I can ask him to refer me to scans every year or so.

Anyway, it's good to be NED. Once again I didn't think I was worried until I felt the wave of relief after getting the all clear.

Other news... My eGFR is 56, down from 66 in early April, so I didn't get the contrast dye. I've been a bit slack with my healthy lifestyle and put on 10kg since the op. Time to get back on track.

Steve.Ned.Adam

Comments

• donna_lee
    donna_lee Member Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited June 2017 #2
    Are you a Duck?

As in you are a really lucky duck.  Congrats and all those fine things we say to those who are NED.

Your docs must be adhering to a rigid protocol on eGFR.  Sob? your eGFR is down to 56!  Mine probably wasn't that high before I had a kidney removed.  I feel like I'm doing fabulous to break 40-43.

Keep up the good work and keep us in the loop about next test schedules.

WAY TO GO!!

donna_lee

• Steve.Adam
    Thanks Donna

Big smile here... Yes, I'm a lucky ducky all right! (Optionally add other rhyming words for emphasis).

The radiologist said the eGFR was in an OK range but they didn't like the recent drop.

There is no test schedule. The Ipswich General Hospital Urology Dept. has pretty much waved goodbye.  The ultrasound in December is checking 'soft mass associated with surgical clamps' if I remember right.

Anyway... I am going to stay away from doctors until at least December.  I will most certainly arrange for follow up scans in future, you can bet on it.

Steve.

• BoondockSaint
    BoondockSaint Member Posts: 242 Member
    Good news Steve. Good news

Good news Steve. Good news indeed!!

I also think it's wise to request future scans.

• foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    Nice! Steve

Seeing people do well makes me very happy. If you can finagle a yearly scan,make it happen. We have seen mets return 5,10, even 14 years later.

• CRashster
    CRashster Member Posts: 241 Member
    OK

This is going to sound weird coming from me...at my last visit, my doc recommended the ultrasound, instead of CT scan deal. I insisted on the scan, if my insurance approves. Mostly, because the docs office has the CT machine and the ultrasound would be at the hospital. That would probably mean 1/2 a day's wait at the hosptial vs 1 hour at the office. Maybe moving to the ultrasound is a better deal now.

• lobbyist0724
    lobbyist0724 Member Posts: 515 Member
    In Canada, we don't do CT for

In Canada, we don't do CT for T1a tumors (US only) and CT is optional for T1 tumors at 24 months and 60 months. Which depends on the risk level, grades, MVI and other prognotic factors. Also, I am sure your age is important too since my doctor mentioned that he doesn't want me to expose to too much radiation.

• stub1969
    stub1969 Member Posts: 966 Member
    Congratulations, Steve

Great news.  Thanks for sharing!

Stub

• daisybud
    daisybud Member Posts: 541 Member
    Great news :)

Good news Steve!

Kim

• Jan4you
    Jan4you Member Posts: 1,330 Member
    edited June 2017 #10
    Good for you, Steve!

Good for you, Steve!

thanks for sharing your good news with us! 

May you know many more good results!

Hugs, Jan

• Steve.Adam

In Canada, we don't do CT for

In Canada, we don't do CT for T1a tumors (US only) and CT is optional for T1 tumors at 24 months and 60 months. Which depends on the risk level, grades, MVI and other prognotic factors. Also, I am sure your age is important too since my doctor mentioned that he doesn't want me to expose to too much radiation.

Mine was T1b

So I guess that is normal here too.

I viewed my scans online and I can't see how they can find anything tiny. I don't know how to 'read' a scan, of course, but the resolution just doesn't seem high enough for small stuff. Maybe there's no point scanning until tumours are bigger than a few cells.

Steve.

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    Congrats! My protocol is

Congrats! My protocol is yearly US, x-ray, and blood work.

• Steve.Adam
    Thank you all

Thank you all for your good wishes and kind thoughts.

Steve.

• sandy23
    sandy23 Member Posts: 143 Member
    Great news, Steve!!  You must

Great news, Steve!!  You must be so relieved.  Thanks for sharing!!

• foroughsh
    foroughsh Member Posts: 779 Member
    Great news Steve

Great news Steve

Every good news each member shares, helps us to remain more and more hopeful, thanks for sharing your news

• JerzyGrrl
    JerzyGrrl Member Posts: 760 Member
    Congrats!

Congrats on the visit from Uncle Ned. As for the extra weight, maybe better to aim for more 10Ks so there's less of the 10kg? Whatever you do, enjoy!

• Allochka
    Allochka Member Posts: 1,060 Member
    Congrats! Hug uncle NED from

Congrats! Hug uncle NED from us! We are in Northern Europe, and husband get 6 months US and bloodwork for his Stage 1a grade 1 tumor plus yearly chest X-ray. However, I'm under impession that his doc is not going to continue follow up imaging 3 years after surgery (I'll never agree to that and hopefully will persuade my husband to continue. US and x-rays are really cheap here)...

• Steve.Adam
    JerzyGrrl said:

Congrats!

Congrats on the visit from Uncle Ned. As for the extra weight, maybe better to aim for more 10Ks so there's less of the 10kg? Whatever you do, enjoy!

10K?

Do you mean 10km runs? I've never been a runner.

Maybe I'm turning into a yo-yo dieter... Nooooooooo.....

Steve.

• JerzyGrrl
    JerzyGrrl Member Posts: 760 Member

10K?

Do you mean 10km runs? I've never been a runner.

Maybe I'm turning into a yo-yo dieter... Nooooooooo.....

Steve.

Nooo...

Steve, running is one of those things that I really don't enjoy doing very much. What's the joke - If you ever see me running, dial 911, because I'm probably being chased by a rabid dog or someone with a knife.

10Ks can most certainly be walked, you know. When I was (much!) younger, I even swam a few. But nowadays walking is good. 

• Steve.Adam
    JerzyGrrl said:

Nooo...

Steve, running is one of those things that I really don't enjoy doing very much. What's the joke - If you ever see me running, dial 911, because I'm probably being chased by a rabid dog or someone with a knife.

10Ks can most certainly be walked, you know. When I was (much!) younger, I even swam a few. But nowadays walking is good. 

Let's go walkin'

Ok, I'm right there with you. :)

Steve.

• Bellafelice
    Bellafelice Member Posts: 57 Member
    Get the CT scans-not ultrasound

Dear Steve-In 2016 (after having been all clear for 8 years) our dr. just ordered a CT scan-it showed no mets. In 2017 he had a some blood in his urine(total coincidence-it was a prostate infection) . Thankfully that caused Dr. to order a CT scan-and 2 mets on the spine were found. He was treated by SBRT and has been on Votrient since March of this year. (By the way in 2015 the mets were there as well but the "radiologist" did not report them). At any rate, go for the CT scan-protect yourself as much as possible. Hope this helps.