Colectomy and nutrition

SandiaBuddy
SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member

I had about 25% of my colon removed along with the tumor--initially they thought they would take out 60%, and I was wondering if this has any effect on the way I absorb nutrition.  The doctors said it would not, but I am learning that what they say is not always fully informed.  Does anyone have experience with nutritional changes after having portions of the colon removed (for example, low Vitamin B levels) and if so, how did you discover it and how do you deal with it?  Thanks for your help.

Comments

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    edited June 2017 #2
    I'm going to say that I've

I'm going to say that I've had no changes. At least nothing I've noticed. I do have to take B12 due to not getting enough which was discovered by blood test but I don't know if it's because of the resection. I had 11 inches removed.

I hope this helps a bit!

Jan 

• SandiaBuddy
    JanJan63 said:

I'm going to say that I've

I'm going to say that I've had no changes. At least nothing I've noticed. I do have to take B12 due to not getting enough which was discovered by blood test but I don't know if it's because of the resection. I had 11 inches removed.

I hope this helps a bit!

Jan 

B12

Similarly, I have started drinking a fortified Brewer's yeast (yuk!) that has a variety of B-vitamins.

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member

B12

Similarly, I have started drinking a fortified Brewer's yeast (yuk!) that has a variety of B-vitamins.

I've never heard of that. A

I've never heard of that. A friend has told me she had her sciatica 'fixed' by taking a bunch of B vitamins heavily over a two week period. I'm having some real probems with my sciatica to the point where it's affecting my quality of life so she suggested this because it worked for her. I read that B12 can help with the myelin sheath that surrounds the nerves so it could make sense. But having taken B12 as a supplement for over two years I don;t think it's going to help me.

Why do you take that?

Jan

• SandiaBuddy
    edited June 2017 #5
    JanJan63 said:

I've never heard of that. A friend has told me she had her sciatica 'fixed' by taking a bunch of B vitamins heavily over a two week period. I'm having some real probems with my sciatica to the point where it's affecting my quality of life so she suggested this because it worked for her. I read that B12 can help with the myelin sheath that surrounds the nerves so it could make sense. But having taken B12 as a supplement for over two years I don;t think it's going to help me.

Why do you take that?

Jan

Back problems/joint pain

It's funny you mention the sciatica, I have experienced it and it is the worst pain I ever felt.  I have had a lot of back pain, knee pain and general joint pain since starting the Xeloda (capecitabine).  The oncologist does not see a link, but it sure seems related to me.  It could be my age, but other than the chemo, I am not doing anything else different, and the pain is almost debilitating, especially the back.  I have also started taking a Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM supplement, plus calcium and vitamin D.  All of these have been linked with a reduction in cancer recurrence in medical studies, so there is a general benefit as well.  I have also thrown vitamin K into the mix.  I don't know if a B-12 gives you all the nutrition you need--it might take a broader spectrum including folate, etc, that you get in the yeast (which is horrible to drink).  I think the colon is involved in absorbing B vitamins, but I have not yet researched it.  But I figure the supplements are not going to hurt and may help with the issue.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Joint pain

'The Oncologist does not see a link'

Ah, bless them! They are good people, but at the end of the day, the patient can tell you exactly what is chemo related. We don't need books, reports or studies. We just know because we expereience them. 

It has taken me a long while to get past the joint pain, but I do see an improvement. its been four years next month. 

Tru

• SandiaBuddy
    JanJan63 said:

Why do you take that?

Jan

B vitamins

Oh, I see I never answered why I take the B vitamins.  Both when I had the cancer and now I have some trouble with a fainting feeling.  I have been thinking it might be related to a lack of B-vitamins.  There is some evidence that the surgery (and likely the tumor before the surgery) changes the way you metabolize nutrients.  Here is an older article I came accross on the the topic: 

http://www.o-wm.com/content/does-intestinal-resection-affect-absorption-essential-vitamins-minerals-and-bile-salts-an-ov