mental and physical exhaustion after surgery

Tucdon
Tucdon Member Posts: 19

I had surgery to remove my right kidney 5 weeks ago, and now t seems i am tired all the time and if  try an use my mind to for a while I get disoriented and extremely tired. I have pains but I figure they come with the surgery hopefully my Dr. s correc twhen he says they will get better. My right testicule is the worst. I am a service technician so the mind thing conerns me.Hope sme one can give a clue.

Comments

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    edited June 2017 #2
    A few more weeks and months to go

Tucdon,

I had just turned 59 when I was nephed almost 15 years ago. At 5 weeks and over 60 you are going to take a little longer than 5 weeks to recover. On the bright side I water skied 11 months later for my 60th birthday.

Icemantoo

• Steve.Adam
    Steve.Adam Member Posts: 463 Member
    edited June 2017 #3
    Hi Tucdon

I had my right kidney removed in February this year.  I was quite tired at first but got progressively better.  i was pretty much OK after 2 months.  I didn't have too much mental tiredness.  My right testicle was no longer sore after about a month but is still larger then the left.

Steve.

• Jan4you
    Jan4you Member Posts: 1,330 Member
    Sorry to hear about your

Sorry to hear about your struggles, Tucdon. Sometimes it can be the side effects of meds, including GENERAL anethesia which takes it time to be fully eliminiated. Sometimes we are more sensitive in processing our medications (not just pain meds) if you have a sluggish liver and now your one kidney.

BUT you could be anemic. If you are, it makes you really tired and sluggish too. Ask to have your iron checked. They sell Slow FE over the counter. I had to ask my surgeon to check my iron even though he thought I should be fine. It was low. 

This too shall pass. Make sure you are getting proper nutrients into your healing body as well.

Sending you healing vibes and hugs, 

Jan

• Tucdon
    icemantoo said:

A few more weeks and months to go

Tucdon,

I had just turned 59 when I was nephed almost 15 years ago. At 5 weeks and over 60 you are going to take a little longer than 5 weeks to recover. On the bright side I water skied 11 months later for my 60th birthday.

Icemantoo

Thx

Thanks for the support, it is nice to hear from someone else.

• Tucdon

Hi Tucdon

I had my right kidney removed in February this year.  I was quite tired at first but got progressively better.  i was pretty much OK after 2 months.  I didn't have too much mental tiredness.  My right testicle was no longer sore after about a month but is still larger then the left.

Steve.

Thx

Thanks Steve,

I know I am trying to push it but sometims it just don't seem like I'm going anywhere.I'm still doing the breahting machine to try and keep my oxygen levels up. Hoping that would keep me more cognitive.  Thanks

• Tucdon
    edited June 2017 #7
    Jan4you said:

Sorry to hear about your

Sorry to hear about your struggles, Tucdon. Sometimes it can be the side effects of meds, including GENERAL anethesia which takes it time to be fully eliminiated. Sometimes we are more sensitive in processing our medications (not just pain meds) if you have a sluggish liver and now your one kidney.

BUT you could be anemic. If you are, it makes you really tired and sluggish too. Ask to have your iron checked. They sell Slow FE over the counter. I had to ask my surgeon to check my iron even though he thought I should be fine. It was low. 

This too shall pass. Make sure you are getting proper nutrients into your healing body as well.

Sending you healing vibes and hugs, 

Jan

Thx

Thanks Jan,

I am taking an iron supplement, and l am using the breathing exerciser making sure my oxygen els stay up. I know my age is a factor but I have a hard time adjusting to the mental part of getting so tired so quick. I am taking minimal meds no pain killers.   Thanks for huggs and Vibes                                                                                               Thanks again Don

• Tucdon
    edited June 2017 #8
    Tucdon said:

Thx

Thanks for the support, it is nice to hear from someone else.

hx

Can't wait till I get where your at. Did you get back to work soon after surgery?

• Dutch1
    Dutch1 Member Posts: 152
    Try to take your time with recovery

For me, sleeping in the afternoon was a normal thing for weeks after surgery.  This eventually went away for me after a while.  Your surgery will likely leave you with some long term limitations as compared to what you could and could not do before the surgery.  Those mystery abdominal pains will eventually go away, too.  Although, for me, that was a slower process.  It isn't a quick recovery.  Try to take your time.

Dutch

• Jan4you
    Jan4you Member Posts: 1,330 Member
    Hi Don! Glad to hear you are

Hi Don! Glad to hear you are on an iron supplement. My concern is if you are getting enough nutrients needed for healing. Try PROTEIN smoothies with fruit and veggies, but make sure you are adding protein to drink. AND no, you wont even taste the veggies. 

And are you exercising by walking? Sleeping ok? 

I would NOT blame everything on age. Rather it could be do to being de-conditioned. I have had 4 abdominal surgeries with multiple medical conditions that surgery could complicate my recovery.  I didn't not have the severe lack of energy, but that's me. Trust me, I am grateful. 

Not that we need to know, but I wonder if you are worried about anything, or anxious perhaps. THAT can zap your energy too.

Healing vibes and gentle hugs,

Jan

• Retcenturion
    Retcenturion Member Posts: 240 Member
    Post op tired

Hey Don..a little younger and just alittle futher from surgery than you. The swelling took about a month to get back to normal for me. There is a recent thread on this topic that you might want to look up about the swelling. I have found that if I have a poor night of sleep I fade during the day..if I can fit it in I lay down for a bit. At 6 weeks surgeon said to continue what I did pre op and listen to my body if something is feels  wrong dial it back. Hope this helps.

• Steve.Adam
    Tucdon said:

Thx

Thanks Steve,

I know I am trying to push it but sometims it just don't seem like I'm going anywhere.I'm still doing the breahting machine to try and keep my oxygen levels up. Hoping that would keep me more cognitive.  Thanks

Hi again Tucdon

It sounds like your recovery is slower than mine was. My only suggestion is to eat good quality food and take things slowly while still tired.

Steve.

• Tucdon
    Dutch1 said:

Try to take your time with recovery

For me, sleeping in the afternoon was a normal thing for weeks after surgery.  This eventually went away for me after a while.  Your surgery will likely leave you with some long term limitations as compared to what you could and could not do before the surgery.  Those mystery abdominal pains will eventually go away, too.  Although, for me, that was a slower process.  It isn't a quick recovery.  Try to take your time.

Dutch

Thx

Thanks Dutch,

I maybe fighting the nap because I was  trying to get myself in my lf routine ,Dumb.I think I am realizing that it is  a process a long process.

• Tucdon
    Jan4you said:

Hi Don! Glad to hear you are

Hi Don! Glad to hear you are on an iron supplement. My concern is if you are getting enough nutrients needed for healing. Try PROTEIN smoothies with fruit and veggies, but make sure you are adding protein to drink. AND no, you wont even taste the veggies. 

And are you exercising by walking? Sleeping ok? 

I would NOT blame everything on age. Rather it could be do to being de-conditioned. I have had 4 abdominal surgeries with multiple medical conditions that surgery could complicate my recovery.  I didn't not have the severe lack of energy, but that's me. Trust me, I am grateful. 

Not that we need to know, but I wonder if you are worried about anything, or anxious perhaps. THAT can zap your energy too.

Healing vibes and gentle hugs,

Jan

yes

W    Jan, your right I have stuff on my mind ... ie regular life stuff, but I am trying to put it all on the back burner.

• Tucdon
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply, it is hard to get a nights sleep but when I do it does make a differance,the nap thing I do when I get tired. I'm trying to get back in my routine as best I can. I was wondering if you could tell me where to find the article on the swelling issue. I guess my body and mind needs to get on the sam page huh.

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Tucdon said:

Thanks

Thanks for the reply, it is hard to get a nights sleep but when I do it does make a differance,the nap thing I do when I get tired. I'm trying to get back in my routine as best I can. I was wondering if you could tell me where to find the article on the swelling issue. I guess my body and mind needs to get on the sam page huh.

Swelling

Tucdon,

Most of the swelling goes down by the end of the first year. I still have what is left od a love handle after almost 15 years.

Icemantoo

• foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    Until you

have had a major organ removed, it is fair to say you never saw the train that hit you coming. Now you know what it is like. There is a wide range of  variables each of us encounter. No one and no procedure is the same. There are so many physiological adjustments to be made it is best to be patient and deal with the impact as you find the new you. It hasn't been that long. The questions I would ask are, "What was your pre-neph fitness level? Are your expectations reasonable?"  It always takes time. 90 days with rehab, 3 months without. Until more time goes by, no big deal.

• Steve.Adam
    edited June 2017 #18
    Tucdon said:

Thanks

Keyword search

Use the keyword search feature to track down older posts that might interest you.

Maybe try 'testicle' or 'swelling'.

Steve.

• beemurguia
    beemurguia Member Posts: 57
    Hello there...Im 5 weeks post

Hello there...Im 5 weeks post neph and feel exhausted too!!! My energy levels are low but apparently also from being anemic.  Lost a lot of blood during surgery almost required a transfussion...so make sure your not anemic.  Some surgeries can involve a lot of blood loss and it takes a while to build up your hematocrit levels.  I have to take Iron supplements for now.  Good luck and take it easy.  

• Tucdon
    edited June 2017 #20
    foxhd said:

Until you

have had a major organ removed, it is fair to say you never saw the train that hit you coming. Now you know what it is like. There is a wide range of  variables each of us encounter. No one and no procedure is the same. There are so many physiological adjustments to be made it is best to be patient and deal with the impact as you find the new you. It hasn't been that long. The questions I would ask are, "What was your pre-neph fitness level? Are your expectations reasonable?"  It always takes time. 90 days with rehab, 3 months without. Until more time goes by, no big deal.

thx

Thanks Your are right is a whole different hit than anyone I have had up to this pin. Before surgery I was working ten hours a day and working aroun the house. It just seems now that my mental and physical stamina go away quick and I hope it wil get better as time goes on.

• Tucdon
    edited June 2017 #21

Hello there...Im 5 weeks post

Hello there...Im 5 weeks post neph and feel exhausted too!!! My energy levels are low but apparently also from being anemic.  Lost a lot of blood during surgery almost required a transfussion...so make sure your not anemic.  Some surgeries can involve a lot of blood loss and it takes a while to build up your hematocrit levels.  I have to take Iron supplements for now.  Good luck and take it easy.  

hx

Yeah they said that they almost lost me due to a thieman loss,so now I'm taking vitamin 12 complex. I lost the first seven days after the surgery. My mental and physical stamina seem to go away quick nd at the same time. It is also hard to oncentrate on things but it s getting better. hope all goes well with you.I am five weeks out myself but it s getting better every day.I do take an Iron supplemet as well.