Met bone pain from radiation

scor2016
scor2016 Member Posts: 10

Hello, This is my first time posting.  My husband was diagnosed March 30 with RCC.  He had his left kidney removed on April 24th.  Tumor size was 12cm.  He has a solitary bone met to the sacrum area.  He has received 10 radiation treatments which ended on May 26th.  He is having severe pain.  Is this normal and how long does it last? This is all new to us. Btw he is 56 and has always been healthy.  

Comments

• todd121
    todd121 Member Posts: 1,448 Member
    Welcome

Sorry you have to be here. I just wanted to welcome you and say hi. I don't know about the pain from the radiation because I've never had it. I hope someone else will chime in with that information.

Wishing you the best,

Todd

• scor2016
    Thank you Todd. I wish I didn

Thank you Todd. I wish I didn't have to be here but I'm sure no one does. But this is a good place to find out what others have experienced and gain some knowledge.

• foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    edited June 2017 #4
    Yes.

My experience has been painful but not always. Radiation may initially hurt quite a bit. Radiation has been very effective for me. After a couple/ few weeks the pain relief is incredible and the mets have been stopped in their tracks. I remember when radiation wasn't considered effective. It has done wonders for me. There is no reason for you to think differently at this point.

• Bellafelice
    Bellafelice Member Posts: 57 Member
    Pain from radiation

My hubby had pain in his 2 spinal mets during the course of the radiation (he had 5 SBRT sessions for 2 spinal mets). He was so concerned he contacted the oncology radiologist as well as some super nice people on this board-and he was reassurred that pain from radiation is totally norma. In addition that pain also came and went for several weeks after the radiation was done. The oncology radiologist told him to take some Ibuprofin for the pain as he said it was due to inflammation. Hope this infor helps. (another great site to ask questions about kidney cancer is Smart Patients-excellent resource and wonderful people).

• Jan4you
    Jan4you Member Posts: 1,330 Member
    I cannot answer your question

I cannot answer your question, but glad you are here! Thankfully others can help you. SmartPatients.com is also a good site.

Just want you to know I will be thinking and praying for you and your hubby. DId you hear Olivia Newton John just got diagnosed with mets to sacrum.

Hope he gets some relief. Do the doctors have any answers for you ??

We're here for you all the way. Sending you healing vibes and HOPE!

Hugs, Jan

• Abunai
    Abunai Member Posts: 173 Member
    Radiation therapy

I underwent ten doses to a met in my T6/T7 region in October of last year and just had, today, my third dose, out of five, for two Mets in my L5 and my S1 (sacral) regions.

I didn't experience any pain or discomfort either time. The S1 tumor that currently being treated is believed to be pushing against my sciatic nerve and causing sciatica symptoms that I'm experiencing. Crossing my fingers.

I hope that what others have said is correct and that any treatment-caused pain will go away quickly.

• scor2016
    Jan4you said:

I cannot answer your question

I cannot answer your question, but glad you are here! Thankfully others can help you. SmartPatients.com is also a good site.

Just want you to know I will be thinking and praying for you and your hubby. DId you hear Olivia Newton John just got diagnosed with mets to sacrum.

Hope he gets some relief. Do the doctors have any answers for you ??

We're here for you all the way. Sending you healing vibes and HOPE!

Hugs, Jan

Thank you for the prayers. I

Thank you for the prayers. I know that is what keeps us going. The doctors have basically told him the pain is coming from inflammation to the met and the sciatic nerve and it should get better with time.  He goes to the medical oncologist later this month.  I wonder what kind of treatment they will give him?  Thank you all for making me feel welcome and having someone to talk to makes me feel better.  Blessings to you all!

• scor2016

Pain from radiation

My hubby had pain in his 2 spinal mets during the course of the radiation (he had 5 SBRT sessions for 2 spinal mets). He was so concerned he contacted the oncology radiologist as well as some super nice people on this board-and he was reassurred that pain from radiation is totally norma. In addition that pain also came and went for several weeks after the radiation was done. The oncology radiologist told him to take some Ibuprofin for the pain as he said it was due to inflammation. Hope this infor helps. (another great site to ask questions about kidney cancer is Smart Patients-excellent resource and wonderful people).

Thank you for the information

Thank you for the information. It helps tremendously.

• scor2016
    edited June 2017 #10
    foxhd said:

Yes.

My experience has been painful but not always. Radiation may initially hurt quite a bit. Radiation has been very effective for me. After a couple/ few weeks the pain relief is incredible and the mets have been stopped in their tracks. I remember when radiation wasn't considered effective. It has done wonders for me. There is no reason for you to think differently at this point.

Thank you for the information

Thank you for the information.  It helps to know that there is hope.  I have read your posts and you are an inspiration to us all.  God Bless!

• scor2016
    Abunai said:

Radiation therapy

I underwent ten doses to a met in my T6/T7 region in October of last year and just had, today, my third dose, out of five, for two Mets in my L5 and my S1 (sacral) regions.

I didn't experience any pain or discomfort either time. The S1 tumor that currently being treated is believed to be pushing against my sciatic nerve and causing sciatica symptoms that I'm experiencing. Crossing my fingers.

I hope that what others have said is correct and that any treatment-caused pain will go away quickly.

Radiation Therapy

Thank you for your information.  Best of luck to you.  I hope your pain goes away soon.

• Jan4you
    edited June 2017 #12
    Did the doctor help with an

Did the doctor help with an anti-inflammatory medication? Or Tens machine? There are ways to reduce inflammation. 

Hope he gets relief! Pain can wear you down. Knowing it can end soon enough, will help him get through this time.

Gentle hugs, Jan

• scor2016
    Jan4you said:

Did the doctor help with an

Did the doctor help with an anti-inflammatory medication? Or Tens machine? There are ways to reduce inflammation. 

Hope he gets relief! Pain can wear you down. Knowing it can end soon enough, will help him get through this time.

Gentle hugs, Jan

They did prescribe medication

They did prescribe medication which has helped some.  Just taking it day by day.

Thank you Jan

• Jan4you
    Oh, he cannot have NSAIDS

Oh, he cannot have NSAIDS after a nephrectomy. Sorry, I forgot that fact. 

Ice? Getting on all fours to get pressure off the sacrum may help.

Jan

• Jan4you
    Oh, he cannot have NSAIDS

Oh, he cannot have NSAIDS after a nephrectomy. Sorry, I forgot that fact. 

Ice? Getting on all fours to get pressure off the sacrum may help.

Jan

• PK_Chicago
    PK_Chicago Member Posts: 58
    edited June 2017 #16
    Radiation...

I have had radiation twice and never really had much pain - once to the hip and ribs, once to the scapula and near the spine.  It's been over a year and the muscle and connective tissue are still not full recovered.  He should be fine - the whole experience is kind of a trip - when they did my spine they vacuumed me in a plastic sheet in the mold so I wouldn't move!

PK

• PACE
    PACE Member Posts: 22
    edited June 2017 #17
    Met Bone Pain

Any inflammation of the sciatic nerve causes excruciating pain in many (but not all) people. Hang in there. The inflammation will surely resolve. Perhaps not as quickly as one would like. But resolve it will. And all this pain will become a fading memory. 

• Ree_Maryland
    Ree_Maryland Member Posts: 161 Member
    Hi . welcome . sorry you all

Hi . welcome . sorry you all are going through this .I do not know about the bone pain , just wanted to say hi 

• Ree_Maryland
    Ree_Maryland Member Posts: 161 Member
    scor2016 said:

Thank you Todd. I wish I didn

Thank you Todd. I wish I didn't have to be here but I'm sure no one does. But this is a good place to find out what others have experienced and gain some knowledge.

Not only knowledge comfort as

Not only knowledge comfort as well. you came to the right place.