Chronic Diarrhea-so tired on dealing with this 4 years after treatments

Lori50
Lori50 Member Posts: 6

In 2013, I had radiation, rectalectomy, ileostomy, take down of the ileostemy 2 months later, and chemo.  They tell me I'm well now but the side effects are nearly unbearable.  The diarrhea is unpredictable and so embarrasing.  Last night, I went to the movies with my husband and our two teenage children.  Upon arriving, I had a terrible stomach ache and as I ran to the restroom I was unlucky and didn't make it.  Yes, I had to stay in the restroom to try and clean up.  My family is very understanding and gracious. Also, being a female the diarrhea gets in the vagina and urethra/bladder which starts this infections!   I really hate having to deal with this.  I try to stay away from highly spicy, greasy, sugary & salty foods.  I also stay away from salads.  Does anyone have tips that I can try?  

I have other side effects but I'm not sure if I can list them because they aren't in the subject line.

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    List as many as you want

I have other side effects but I'm not sure if I can list them because they aren't in the subject line.

You can list, talk, gripe about anything you want, Lori.  Its great to be beating this disease, but sometimes the side effects take the edge off of the joy. 

I'm sorry you are still suffering from such chronic diarrhoea. It can really put a damper on activities away from the home.  I know there are others here with better adivce, but I've read that Lomotil and Immodium can help. 

I wish you the best as you go forward and I hope the problems you are experiencing will abate and eventually go away completely. 

TRU

• lp1964
    lp1964 Member Posts: 1,239 Member
    Dear Friend,

I'm so sorry to hear about your issues. I had my rectum removed and have colostomy now. Even though that's an other set of problems, but very managable. I truly can say I live a full life. Maybe you should consider colostomy yourself. 

All the best!

Laz

• Robert2015
    Robert2015 Member Posts: 5
    Dear Lori,  I can definitely

Dear Lori,  I can definitely empathize with you. I had my reversal almost 2 years ago. I manage many of the same symptoms you are experiencing by watching my diet coupled with Imodium. I have to vary the imodium intake based on what I eat and life events. I generally take 2 Imodium tablets each morning and evening (total of 4).  You are in my thoughts and prayers. 

• abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    A suggestion for you at home: a bidet seat (aka a Washlet)

I have a bidet seat on my toilet which sprays and washes me after bowel movements (or whenever I want).  It eliminates the spread from cleaning up with paper, and is much gentler on the bottom.  I just use paper to dab dry, as the built-in dryer function is pretty weak.  There are several models, and none are cheap.  However, I feel it's money well-spent.  I currently have the CleanSense 1500.  I like that it has a "massage" setting, which simply means the let of water moves back and forth; gets me cleaner.  It also has an in-line water heater.  I got mine from Amazon; fairly easy to install.  Yes, you need an outlet.  The water is from a T-valve on your toilet supply.  It's about $360.  I had a Brondell Swash 1000, but it didn't last well; not worth the money.  If you want any more info, you can private message me.  Alice

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    abrub said:

A suggestion for you at home: a bidet seat (aka a Washlet)

I have a bidet seat on my toilet which sprays and washes me after bowel movements (or whenever I want).  It eliminates the spread from cleaning up with paper, and is much gentler on the bottom.  I just use paper to dab dry, as the built-in dryer function is pretty weak.  There are several models, and none are cheap.  However, I feel it's money well-spent.  I currently have the CleanSense 1500.  I like that it has a "massage" setting, which simply means the let of water moves back and forth; gets me cleaner.  It also has an in-line water heater.  I got mine from Amazon; fairly easy to install.  Yes, you need an outlet.  The water is from a T-valve on your toilet supply.  It's about $360.  I had a Brondell Swash 1000, but it didn't last well; not worth the money.  If you want any more info, you can private message me.  Alice

$25 Bidet

I got a cheap Bidet from Amazon.com for $25 (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TPGPUW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1).   Sure its plumbed into the cold water (quite invigorating) and no dryer, but I have been using it everyday (except when I'm away) for the last four years and its still working just fine.  I use seperate hand towels to dry off after I use it.  I wished I's had one while I was going through radiation. They really are wondreful and every CRC patient should have one. 

TRU

• abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    edited April 2017 #7
    Trubrit said:

$25 Bidet

I got a cheap Bidet from Amazon.com for $25 (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TPGPUW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1).   Sure its plumbed into the cold water (quite invigorating) and no dryer, but I have been using it everyday (except when I'm away) for the last four years and its still working just fine.  I use seperate hand towels to dry off after I use it.  I wished I's had one while I was going through radiation. They really are wondreful and every CRC patient should have one. 

TRU

Good info!

It's good to know that a reasonably priced option exists.  I know I'll have one in my home from now on!  Can't live without it!

Thanks, Tru!

Alice