Measurement on CT Scans

2»

Comments

• DAC677
    DAC677 Member Posts: 59
    todd121 said:

Glad to!

This information is very important, and they don't explain it to patients very well at all. I've even heard of patients not even being told the type of cancer they have (or even that they have cancer!). I wish they did a better job of educating us. At least we have this forum so we can help each other understand it better.

You tend to think of tumors as solid and maybe shaped like a sphere like a golf ball. Actually they can grow more like a plant/roots of a plant even. With some areas branching out from the main mass. If you think of it that way, it might help you to visualise it.

I had a lymph node last year that was identified as "growing" on the CT scan because twice in a row it had increased in dimension slightly. Then I saw a pulmonologist who pulled up a scan from 2 years ago and compared the current to the previous measurement and it was the same size. That's when I got to see how they measure it. The thing they are looking at is really, really blurry. The CT scan doesn't make a clear picture. They use something like an digital measuring tape and they drag it from one side to the next, and because it's so blurry, where they place the two sides can vary a great deal based on the person doing the measuring.

I can't tell you if the variation you saw is typical or if it tells you if the thing is shrinking, growing, or staying the same. Hopefully they will get it out soon and let you know what's going on and I hope it's all good news.

Best wishes,

Todd

Medical Records

One thing to add is that most people dont relaize they have a right to every one of their medical records, from scans to bllodwork to path reports. you paid for it and its yours. some hosptials make getting it easy and in some cases its harder and you have to fill out a form with the medical records department. The trick is reading it correctly and thats why we need to experts. But if you want to see what they are reading or take it to another doctor or take it home and study so you can go back in to see the doc with some questions tee'd up thats your right. If your doc doesnt like answering all your questions then you need a new doc

• todd121
    todd121 Member Posts: 1,448 Member
    edited February 2017 #23
    DAC677 said:

Medical Records

One thing to add is that most people dont relaize they have a right to every one of their medical records, from scans to bllodwork to path reports. you paid for it and its yours. some hosptials make getting it easy and in some cases its harder and you have to fill out a form with the medical records department. The trick is reading it correctly and thats why we need to experts. But if you want to see what they are reading or take it to another doctor or take it home and study so you can go back in to see the doc with some questions tee'd up thats your right. If your doc doesnt like answering all your questions then you need a new doc

Scan Results/Blood Tests

I get copies of everything and take them home with me. Sometimes they won't release them until the doctor has seen them, but you have a right to them for sure. In the beginning, I even got copies of my CT scans. And I don't mean the test report/summary. I'd go and actually get the CD with the images on them. I don't do that anymore, but you can and do have a right to them. When you go get a second opinion, they are probably going to want you to have all the test results sent over.

Todd

• sandy23
    sandy23 Member Posts: 143 Member
    edited March 2017 #24
    Moved this to new thread -

Moved this to new thread - sorry for posting in the wrong thread.

• Ree_Maryland
    Ree_Maryland Member Posts: 161 Member
    edited March 2017 #25
    Well I am on my third year of

Well I am on my third year of having my right kidney removed ,having MRI done and dreading the MRI .takes 1 hr and I do not do well with inclosed areas . So I take a valuim[ msp] one hr before tests. But I will be glad when it is done and my Dr reads the results April 5th. I am nervous. anxity is high right now . HOPE ALL IS WELL WITH THE FOLKS ON HERE , WISHING EA AND EVERYONE NED .