Find Out the Pathology Report Results Tomorrow

sandy23
sandy23 Member Posts: 143 Member
edited March 2017 in Kidney Cancer #1

Oh, the nerves are back in full force!! Not that they ever left.

I have been trying to keep busy.  First my son had the flu for a week and then my daughter for a week so that has filled the two week's time since my husband's surgery.  He is doing really well.  His biggest complaint by far was the gas.

I have said all along that this would be my biggest appointment as far as anxiety.  Of course, I have him having the worst case scenario.  I fear this trip even more than the one for his surgery.  Is that crazy?

My husband doesn't even seem worried.  How does he do that?

Comments

• hardo718
    hardo718 Member Posts: 853 Member
    edited March 2017 #2
    My opinion

I'm sure your husband has some concerns about the pathology, but if I may speak as the person that went thru the surgery, the overwhelming feeling for me was a sense of relief at that point was that Bob the Blob was out and the pathology was secondary.  Now, that being said, please understand that it's not that I wasn't concerned about the pathology, but for me that concern came later.  It's a process, for all concerned, and I truly think sometimes it's harder on the loved ones because of a wanting to make your loved one healthy again, no matter the cost. 

Your thoughts are not "crazy", you will adjust, it takes time.  I'll keep you in my prayers as well. Keep us posted on results.

Best wishes,

Donna~

• BoondockSaint
    BoondockSaint Member Posts: 242 Member
    edited March 2017 #3
    wishing you guys well for a

wishing you guys well for a good report. We had access to the report 2 days after my wife's surgery. I read it the best I could and had some friends who are in the medical field look at it too, also one of my colleagues at work wife is a physician who knows the pathologist personally and we had her look at it as well.

we don't meet back with the surgeon for the one month follow up unti Apr. 13 but knowing what we know thus far has helped ease the tension ten fold.

• sandy23

wishing you guys well for a

wishing you guys well for a good report. We had access to the report 2 days after my wife's surgery. I read it the best I could and had some friends who are in the medical field look at it too, also one of my colleagues at work wife is a physician who knows the pathologist personally and we had her look at it as well.

we don't meet back with the surgeon for the one month follow up unti Apr. 13 but knowing what we know thus far has helped ease the tension ten fold.

How did you access it?  Was

How did you access it?  Was it through a patient area on the hospital site? Thanks!!

• stub1969
    stub1969 Member Posts: 966 Member
    Portal

Most hospitals use a patient portal.  My report was uploaded a couple days after surgery.  All my reports for the matter(labs, surgical, doctor visits) are literally at my fingertips.  Pretty nice!

Stub

• sandy23
    stub1969 said:

Portal

Most hospitals use a patient portal.  My report was uploaded a couple days after surgery.  All my reports for the matter(labs, surgical, doctor visits) are literally at my fingertips.  Pretty nice!

Stub

All of the blood work, EKG,

All of the blood work, EKG, and such are there but not the pathology report.  Wonder why that would not be there.

• BoondockSaint
    BoondockSaint Member Posts: 242 Member
    Yes sandy it was thru a

Yes sandy it was thru a patient portal thru the Urologist office. We also have access to all the info from our local hospital.

The parh report was faxed to the urologist who then scanned it to a file that we could access. That may be why you can't see it yet. I'd call the urologist and see if you could get some info. It's your right to have access to this info.

• sandy23
    I really need help with this.

I really need help with this. We just found out that there was one microscopic area where the cancer entered the fat outside the kidney. The doctor had removed all of the fat and had clear margins but said that this greatly lowers a favorable prognosis. It was 5.5 cm clear cell and had none of the other features. Please help us wrap our minds around this.  Not what we wanted to hear. Did any one else have anything similar?

• Jan4you
    Jan4you Member Posts: 1,330 Member
    Sandy, with those results, I

Sandy, with those results, I can appreciate how you must still feel so uneasy. Hopefully the little c bugger went with the removal of that fatty tissue. I know my Urologist uses a lab test that shows if C has elevated at all with each time he montiors me.

I think it is a waste of time to worry about the "what-ifs" and to use up precious energy to LIVE.

I know, I know, easier said than done.

I also suggest using your faith what ever that may be, faith in your doctor, faith in each other, etc.

Sending you healing, calming hugs,

Jan

• sblairc
    sblairc Member Posts: 585 Member
    edited March 2017 #10
    sandy23 said:

I really need help with this.

I really need help with this. We just found out that there was one microscopic area where the cancer entered the fat outside the kidney. The doctor had removed all of the fat and had clear margins but said that this greatly lowers a favorable prognosis. It was 5.5 cm clear cell and had none of the other features. Please help us wrap our minds around this.  Not what we wanted to hear. Did any one else have anything similar?

This sounds like Stage 3. Doc's wording was alarming, BUT. . .

Many people stage 3 do not go on to ever have it come back. I tried to do my best to look at it that way. It's way more serious than stage 1 or 2, but you can't dwell on that. Trust me, I know what you are going through. I went through a major anxiety and depression even after my husband was cancer free (at Stage 3). It consumed me for months, I was seeing a therapist weekly. It really does not help to dwell on the negative, but only time will prove to heal the stress and heartbreak of seeing a loved one go through it or go through it oneself. 

• sandy23
    sblairc said:

This sounds like Stage 3. Doc's wording was alarming, BUT. . .

Many people stage 3 do not go on to ever have it come back. I tried to do my best to look at it that way. It's way more serious than stage 1 or 2, but you can't dwell on that. Trust me, I know what you are going through. I went through a major anxiety and depression even after my husband was cancer free (at Stage 3). It consumed me for months, I was seeing a therapist weekly. It really does not help to dwell on the negative, but only time will prove to heal the stress and heartbreak of seeing a loved one go through it or go through it oneself. 

Yes, he said stage 3 because

Yes, he said stage 3 because of the microscopic cells on the outer capsule wall that were entering into the fat.  He said he removed a large amount of fat and that was all free other than that one area and the margins were clear.  We were told that if the cells are only into the fat, that it isn't really a huge difference between stage 1 and stage 3 for his size of mass.  Not sure if that's true (it wasn't his actual doctor who said that).