The Other Side

2»

Comments

• hardo718
    hardo718 Member Posts: 853 Member
    edited February 2017 #22

Manual Compositing

Queen Victoria went to Scotland to open the Forth Railway Bridge it was, of course, National news of course, it was reported in the Times of London, that "Having cut the ribbon, Her Majesty passed over the bridge"

The copy was sent to London and the compositor created the front page. With practiced fingers he arranged the letters: "Having cut the ribbon, Her Majesty p . . ." The soon to be unemployed artisan reached for a vowel . . . and picked up an 'i'.

It was not noticed until after the paper went to press.

Oops!

Hahahahahahaha

• JerzyGrrl
    JerzyGrrl Member Posts: 760 Member

Not my urologist

When I made the comment about farmyard costumes I forgot that my photo has a horse in it.  That is not my urologist.

I don't mind if the nurses dress up, but I think I prefer more serious minded surgeons.

And it hurts when you laugh, right?

Steve.

Regarding laughter, belly laughs and guffaws are out for a while, plus also the kind that makes tears run down your cheeks and your sides ache. And don't even think about the kind of laughter that makes you gasp or fall out of your chair.

Chuckles and snickers are fine (We have candy by those names in the US, don't know if you're familiar with the former). So are giggles. I was laughing the next day post-op. I figured I needed all the endorphins I could get. 

• medic1971
    medic1971 Member Posts: 225 Member
    Waiting game

I waited 4 months between finding the mass and surgery so I know what you are going through.  I will admit that it was a good feeling when they rolled me into the surgery.  The wait was over, D-day and H-hour was here.  

Recovery was a bit harder than I thought, but it wasn't too bad.  Post-op day 2 was the worst.  I was tried, didn't feel good, hadn't slept well, and just wanted to get back to my hotel room and sleep in a real bed.  Everyday after that got a little better.  

I was off work for 6 weeks, but I could have gone back in 3 if I needed to.

Good luck!

• foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    edited February 2017 #25
    I had it easy.

I had surgery just a few days after dx. I was admitted through the ED due to uncontrollable pain. I trusted the surgeon and I recovered easily. If I had been able to wait for surgery I would have been able to choose a specialty hospital. Steve, sit back, trust your hospital team, and do what they say. Everyone knows their job. Many are exceptional. You are getting a front row seat to observe and benefit from their expertise. I suggest you start looking forward to doing the most important thing in your life. I am not going to say enjoy it, but you can see where I'm going with this..

• Steve.Adam
    Steve.Adam Member Posts: 463 Member
    edited February 2017 #26
    JerzyGrrl said:

Regarding laughter, belly laughs and guffaws are out for a while, plus also the kind that makes tears run down your cheeks and your sides ache. And don't even think about the kind of laughter that makes you gasp or fall out of your chair.

Chuckles and snickers are fine (We have candy by those names in the US, don't know if you're familiar with the former). So are giggles. I was laughing the next day post-op. I figured I needed all the endorphins I could get. 

Snickers

We have snickers but I've never seen chuckles.  I wish we had Giggles.  I'd buy those.

I had my appendix out when I was 12, in 1974.  I was in an adult ward.  There was only one other kid my age there.

I told him it only hurt when I laugh so naturally he tortured me with jokes all day.

I'm sure they were lousy jokes but I couldn't help laughing anyway.

Steve.