Radiation on my neck

Lou Ann M
Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member

i saw the radiaction oncologist today and will be starting radiation on Monday.  They did both the consultation and planning session both today so we wouldn't have to drive back another time this week.  Looks like it will be for 15 times.  They made me a mask to wear to keep head in one place and did a CT scan so they can plan.  I have never thought that I was closterphobic , but I guess I am. Being pinned down with the mask on my head and being stuffed into a CT scan machine sent me into a wild panic.  All I could do was scream for help and no one came for a while.  The technician finally came and ask if  I could stand it for 20 more second.  Those were the longest 20 seconds of my life.  For the,radiation on Monday they are going to cut eye, nose, and mouth holes, and I won't have to go into into the CT scan so maybe I can make it.  My daughter and a good freind both suggested that I ask for sedation or an anxiety med before.

Lou Ann

Comments

• Nellasing
    Nellasing Member Posts: 528 Member
    oh my gosh!!!!

Lou Ann- you poor thing!!!  That made me hold my breath and started my heart pounding just reading that!  I am SO SO SORRY you had that happen and I hope that they give you something to help with that feeling in addition to the holes they are going to put in it- I can't understand why they didn't come right away when they heard you!  That isn't right- someone should come and at least let you know they haven't disappeared and that they heard you for pete's sake! 

We will sure be thinking of and holding you up in prayer on Monday- will they be 15 consecutive or????  Big ole (((HUGS))) coming your way- keep us posted <3

• MAbound
    MAbound Member Posts: 1,168 Member
    Had no idea

I had no idea that's what you'd be facing with this type of radiation. I am amazed that they thought anyone could go through a CT with that kind of thing on. You'd think that they'd have some experience and would've known to cut the holes first and to offer some sedation before proceding. It just sounds inhumane what they put you through. When I had an MRI last year, they gave me a panic button to hold to let them know if I was freak'n and I wonder why they couldn't have given you something like that? Wow, just wow!  What time are your treatments scheduled for?  I want to be there, at least in spirit, when you start going through this next week. Visualize me holding your hand and praying with you and we'll do what we can to get you through this.

Hugs, 

Pat

• Editgrl
    Editgrl Member Posts: 903 Member
    Absolutely ask for some anti

Absolutely ask for some anti-anxiety meds.  This is one of those cases where it is absolutely appropriate.  No reason you should have to go through that kind of panic.

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,353 Member
    edited January 2017 #5
    Lou Ann, I had never thought

Lou Ann, I had never thought about how they do radiation to the head and neck until I started to read about it a few years ago.  I wondered if I would feel like you did and could see it is very possible.  I have no doubt you will ask them for something to help you relax or sedate.  You are in my prayers.  

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    Lou Ann, I agree with the

Lou Ann, I agree with the others. Please ask for an anti-anxiety med... I panic even with covers over my head so I can only imagine what you went through. I hope the procedures are better with the holes and MEDS!

I'll be thinking of you LouAnn. Feel the hugs from all of us.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• cindy0519
    cindy0519 Member Posts: 173
    I agree with your family and

I agree with your family and others....ask for and take something to help relieve your anxiety. VERY warranted and no reason to "tough it out" despite feeling like you should.  Your in my prayers!

• Soup52
    Soup52 Member Posts: 908 Member
    edited January 2017 #8
    Oh Lou Ann I'm so sorry!! Yes

Oh Lou Ann I'm so sorry!! Yes, ask for anti anxiety meds for sure.

• janaes
    janaes Member Posts: 799 Member
    Im sorry for the tough time

Im sorry for the tough time you had.  Im hoping they give you a panic botton when they do it next time.  I had that for my MRI.  If you have to do it 15 times i would want you to be as compfortable as posible. 

• Kvdyson
    Kvdyson Member Posts: 789
    I agree with everyone's post

I agree with everyone's post and you may also want to ask them ahead of time whether there is anything you can do to help mitigate some of the side effects of the actual treatments. My neighbor had radiation in the same area and experienced some short-term radiation burns in the area which made it hard to swallow for a little while. Hopefully your experience will be better since radiation treatments have come a long way these last few years but it's better to be safe than sorry. Good luck to you and know that I'm sending out positive thoughts and vibes your way! Kim

• MAbound
    MAbound said:

Had no idea

I had no idea that's what you'd be facing with this type of radiation. I am amazed that they thought anyone could go through a CT with that kind of thing on. You'd think that they'd have some experience and would've known to cut the holes first and to offer some sedation before proceding. It just sounds inhumane what they put you through. When I had an MRI last year, they gave me a panic button to hold to let them know if I was freak'n and I wonder why they couldn't have given you something like that? Wow, just wow!  What time are your treatments scheduled for?  I want to be there, at least in spirit, when you start going through this next week. Visualize me holding your hand and praying with you and we'll do what we can to get you through this.

Hugs, 

Pat

Thinking of you

Hoping that today was easier than you were thinking it was going to be. ((LouAnn)). 

• janaes
    After I saw kims recent post

After I saw kims recent post it made me think about my cancer I had 20 years ago.  I did have radiation on my neck.  I did have trouble swallowing after words and they gave me a persciption that mumbed the inside of my throught and it made it feelbetter for a short time. It was something I drank and it made it a bit easier to eat. Maybe you wont have the side effects though because i had 20 daily treatments if i remember right.  It was at least that much.  It sounds like yours will be less.

• Kvdyson
    Kvdyson Member Posts: 789
    Thinking about you today

Lou Ann, I'm thinking about you today and hoping that your treatment went well! Kim

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member
    edited January 2017 #14
    No luck today

Had another panic attack when they put the mask on and tightened it up.  I now have anxiety meds t take an hour before treatment.  We will try again tomorrow.  Lou Ann

• Nellasing
    Nellasing Member Posts: 528 Member
    edited January 2017 #15
    Yikes!

You'd think in this day and age they could make this something less resembling torture - so sorry Lou Ann- keep us posted- we'll be praying  (((HUGS)))

• janaes
    edited January 2017 #16
    Im glad you got the new

Im glad you got the new medications.  Hope that works for you tomarrow.  I will be thinking of you

• Editgrl
    Editgrl Member Posts: 903 Member
    I don't understand why they

I don't understand why they didn't suggest anti-anxiety drugs after your panic attack last week.  So sorry you had to go through that again.  Hope things are better for you tomorrow.

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,353 Member
    edited January 2017 #18
    Ditto to Chirs' comments.

Ditto to Chirs' comments.  Thinking of you Lou Ann!

• Soup52
    Soup52 Member Posts: 908 Member
    Prayers Lou Ann!

Prayers Lou Ann!

• MAbound
    We are all with you during this!

I am so sorry that you are still having such a hard time Lou Ann. I googled images of face masks for neck radiation to get a better idea of what it is you are dealing with and can't believe that anti-anxiety meds aren't SOP for undergoing this. I hope that the meds help you and that the actual time you have to endure wearing the mask is very brief, but understand even just the setup for each dose is not going to be easy for you. You are the strongest woman on this board with all you have already been through. Please just close your eyes during this and think of the good days you've had during earlier treatments....go to your happy place....anything but focusing on what's scaring you, as hard and impossible as that probably sounds right now. Sending my prayers and strength that this will get better for you.

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    edited January 2017 #21
    LouAnn,

LouAnn,

I agree with our other friends!

Hope tomorrow brings you to a calm place and that you get through the procedure with no issues.

We are right there with you!

Love and Hugs,

Cindi