New to board: stage 1B vulvar cancer

This has been a strange journey for me.  I guess my story is more of a cautionary tale:  if something doesn't look or feel quite right, get it checked out sooner rather than later.

I was diagnosed with vulvar cancer in September of this year, after complaining of increasingly excruciating pain.  I had felt the strange little bump before, but I mistook it for a pimple or an ingrown hair.  So my family began giving me such advice as "just pop it," "take a needle to it and drain it out," or "put Vicks Vapo-rub on it to bring it to a head."  (I didn't do any of that.)  After sitting down or climbing into the family SUV became too painful, I finally asked to be taken to the ER.  I thought it was a Bartholin cyst, so I put that on the sign-in page.  

Long story short, it wasn't a Bartholin cyst, but this ER didn't have a women's doctor.  So off I went to the county hospital, where I spent five hours waiting before being examined.  The obstetrics resident thought it was herpes, but I told her that was impossible.  The biopsy came back with a diagnosis of VIN3 squamous cell carcinoma.  Since then, I've pretty much taken up residence at the county hospital, be it in the gynecology clinic, internal medicine, the pharmacy, or various testing facilities.  

My surgery (a radical vulvectomy) is scheduled for December 15, so I'll be spending Christmas in bed.  The doctors gave me a good idea of what I can expect during the surgery and in the few days after that.  But mentally, I don't know what to expect.  I don't have any family members who understand what I'm going through.  It's embarrassing to talk about it with the male relatives who ask what kind of cancer I have.  I guess I'm worried about my dad and brother as much as I am about myself.  I've read that I could become incontinent and have trouble using the bathroom.  How long does it take to recover?  I've read varying time lengths.  Is the cancer likely to return?  That's the type of thing I worry about.

To everyone else who suffers from "female cancers," let's hold hands and crawl to the finish line together.

Comments

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited November 2016 #2
    January, you will be welcomed

January, you will be welcomed with open arms and please know that all the gyn cancer ladies stick together.  

I think we all can relate to your fears, but I would suggest trying taking this one day at a time.  You can't get too far ahead of yourself.  The women here (Other gyn, Ovarian, and Uterine boards here) are a friendly, helpful group so no question is out of bounds - or at least I have not found one yet.  

Be gentle with yourself right now and I hope talking about things here has helped you feel a little better, at least for now.

Hugs darling.  We are not afraid to talk about theses things.

• JanuaryDaybreak
    JanuaryDaybreak Member Posts: 21 Member
    edited December 2016 #3
    Thanks for the welcome,

Thanks for the welcome, NoTime.  Innocent

One of the doctors called me today to inform me that my surgery has been moved up a week, to this upcoming Thursday.  That's assuming that the pre-op labs go as they should and no other complications arise.  The medical team is going to try to reschedule my pre-op lab work and anesthesiology visit, but I won't know until tomorrow whether that's a go.  I do have one more pre-op appointment with the gynecologic oncologist on Tuesday.  As glad as I am to take another step toward dealing with the cancer, I'm also apprehensive.  My brother's already had to rearrange his work schedule once; now he's going to have to give his manager even less notice.  (My brother's going to be taking me.)

Usually I'd do winter baking, but I'm going to be pretty weak after the surgery.  My brother had his heart set on brownies, so I made a batch for all of us.  I'm just physically and mentally zapped this week.

• NoTimeForCancer
    January, assuming the surgery

January, assuming the surgery is a go, please take care of yourself.  If you have questions, don't hesitate to call the doctor's office with questions.  I guarantee they are used to them and they probably have heard them before.  Everyone is different and responds differently to surgery so take it easy afterwards - don't overdo it.  It sounds like your brother is a GOOD GUY and I am happy for you.  

Please come back and let us know how it all goes.  Praying for a speedy recovery.

• Editgrl
    Editgrl Member Posts: 903 Member
    edited December 2016 #5
    January

I see that your surgery is scheduled for tomorrow.  You probably won't see this beforehand, but please know that we are all pulling for you to have a successful surgery and an easy recovery.  I very much understand about the winter baking; just tell your brother he's going to have to make those brownies last!

Be gentle with yourself and let yourself heal.

• JanuaryDaybreak
    Thanks for the encouragement,

Thanks for the encouragement, notime and editgrl.  Cool

I came home Sunday afternoon and am on bed rest.  The surgery lasted about six hours, but from what the attending doctor said, the cancer was completely removed, and the lymph nodes were free of cancer.  There is a lot of home care to keep up with, but I have not been in much pain.  The surgical area smarts a bit where the sutures are, and the incision for one of the lymphadenectomy drains is leaking a bit.  But overall, progress is all right.  My follow-up appointment with the gynecological oncologist is next week.

I think the psychological aspects are harder for me right now.  I can't force myself to actually look at the surgical area.  In a way, I feel incomplete, as if I am now somehow "less" than before, when I had one thing that identifies me as a normal, functional person.  Don't get me wrong, I am glad that the cancer is gone.  I just wish I understood why I got it.  And I remain hopeful that I can feel whole again.

Love to all.

• NoTimeForCancer
    edited December 2016 #7
    January, that is great news

January, that is great news on clear lymph nodes!!  Fantastic!!  

This is still one step at a time, you will get there but you don't have to be there yet.  Keep being kind to yourself and sleep is good.  

• Editgrl
    Hi, January.

Sounds like you got the best news you could get at this stage.  I'm glad that the surgery went well and that you are not in much pain.  You will eventually feel "whole" again, but as NoTime said, it will take some time.

As to why you got cancer?  I think we all have run that question over and over again in our minds, especially those of us who had none or few of the risk factors.  At some point, I have looked at my life and seen some things that I know affected me physically that may have played a role and I have taken steps to change those.  But the reality is that neither I nor any of us will ever really know for sure.  One thing I will say is that it has made me really value my body and take care to nourish it in many different ways, more than I did before.

Right now after surgery, rest and healing is paramount.  Keep us posted about your post-op.

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,678 Member
    edited December 2016 #9
    January

I hope you are healing well and coping a little better every day.  I can't see the parts of me that have been surgically altered.  It has to be so much harder for you.

• JanuaryDaybreak
    Thanks, everyone.

Sorry for the delay in response.  I've been spending most of my time either in bed or at a doctor's office.  Even though I'm not ready to go back to school for substitute assignments yet, I think I'm making steady progress.  An aunt was nice enough to send $50 for Christmas, another aunt brought dinner over, and a teacher friend made a big batch of penne pasta for us.  

Fortunately, I was able to get one of the lymph drains taken out this past Tuesday, but Dr. K (the gynecologic oncology fellow) agreed with me that the other one's not ready to come out.  I'm starting to get some painful lymphedema in that leg, but Dr. K said that was to be expected, and should be OK once the drains are ready to be removed.  I see him again next week to check on the drain, and then I go for my first appointment at the radiation oncology clinic.  Dr. K's great, but I do wish a visit to the gynecology clinic didn't always take upwards of four hours.  :(

I still have trouble coming to terms with the idea that I'm "incomplete," but my brother reminded me that I never have to think about what I'm missing except when I'm alone.  Mastectomy patients, meanwhile, are reminded every day because they see the results and get stared at.  I hadn't thought of it that way until he said that.  But my brother's great.  He usually takes me to my appointments (he works nights), but I was able to get a ride from the ACS for the radiation appointment.

Many, many thanks again for all the kindness, love, and care.  I'm touched and humbled.

• NoTimeForCancer

Thanks, everyone.

Sorry for the delay in response.  I've been spending most of my time either in bed or at a doctor's office.  Even though I'm not ready to go back to school for substitute assignments yet, I think I'm making steady progress.  An aunt was nice enough to send $50 for Christmas, another aunt brought dinner over, and a teacher friend made a big batch of penne pasta for us.  

Fortunately, I was able to get one of the lymph drains taken out this past Tuesday, but Dr. K (the gynecologic oncology fellow) agreed with me that the other one's not ready to come out.  I'm starting to get some painful lymphedema in that leg, but Dr. K said that was to be expected, and should be OK once the drains are ready to be removed.  I see him again next week to check on the drain, and then I go for my first appointment at the radiation oncology clinic.  Dr. K's great, but I do wish a visit to the gynecology clinic didn't always take upwards of four hours.  :(

I still have trouble coming to terms with the idea that I'm "incomplete," but my brother reminded me that I never have to think about what I'm missing except when I'm alone.  Mastectomy patients, meanwhile, are reminded every day because they see the results and get stared at.  I hadn't thought of it that way until he said that.  But my brother's great.  He usually takes me to my appointments (he works nights), but I was able to get a ride from the ACS for the radiation appointment.

Many, many thanks again for all the kindness, love, and care.  I'm touched and humbled.

January,  first off, it

January,  first off, it sounds like you have a great brother.  My sisters lived in different states but they always listened when I called and I could never had gone through this without them. 

There are message therapists who specialize in helping patients with lynphedemia. I learned this when I developed it too.  The message is very gentle but there is a process to it.  Maybe your gyn onc can refer you to one.  

While I didn't have your particular type of cancer,  gyn cancer patients have to hang together.  You are not alone. 

• Vajayjay
    Vajayjay Member Posts: 10

Thanks, everyone.

January ~ after reading some

January ~ after reading some of your story I wanted to reach out and let you know you are not alone! Feb will be 1 year since my vulvectomy . Everything you are feeling is normal... I still feel like I lost something and have yet to figure out how to get past it. I can count on one hand the # of times my husband and I have had sex in the last year :( There is another site I found post op that has a lot of us with the same cancer https://www.dailystrength.org/group/vulvar-cancer/discussion/pre-op-prep-for-post-op

it has been very hard to find someone to not only talk to but who has been through this....

please feel free to message me any time!!!

• NoTimeForCancer
    Vajayjay, it is so good to

Vajayjay, it is so good to hear from you.  I am sorry to hear the problems you are having.   It makes me so sad what survivors have to deal with.  Not having vulvar cancer,  you are right that I cannot know what you are going through.  You all are in my prayers. I hope you and January chat.

• JanuaryDaybreak
    Hugs to all

Vajayjay, it's great to meet you.  You have a PM.  Laughing

I had my first visit to the radiation oncologist (Dr. A) today, and I feel...lost.  He didn't know why I was there, and I didn't know why I was there.  Reassuring....no, really.  He had to call the doctors on the surgical team to find out.  Unfortunately, he told me there has been no definitive answer to the question of how beneficial this treatment is for only one questionable lymph node.  He showed me both pros and cons, but told me it was ultimately my choice.  If I do go through with it, I'll have 25 days of treatments:  5 weeks, 5 days per week.  Undecided  

So I'm going to talk to the gynecologic oncologist (Dr. K) next week and find out how many more appointments he thinks I'll need at that clinic.  Once I get a better idea, I'm most likely going to go through with the treatments.  Dr. A stressed that right now, radiation therapy is a precaution, to prevent any recurrence.  He does want me to get something done about the huge swollen mass that's developed.

Right now, I'm trying to think of everything as just another step on this journey.

• Laura2051
    Laura2051 Member Posts: 34 Member
    You are not alone

Hi January, I am a vulvar cancer survivor too.  Lasy July (2016) I had a radical vulvectomy and bilateral lymphectomy. I finished 32 radiations and 6 chemos ending on October 20th. I know how you feel but healing DOES come. I have seen a physical therapist who specialized in lymphoma. She taught me to drain my lymph fluid into my arm pits. She also recommended I wear compression stockings. I have thigh high ones . The why questions we all ask but they lead down a rabbit hole. You have to move forward you can not go back. I understand the healing is not just a physical thing but emotional and spiritual. Take it one step at a time. Try to be mindful and thankful for the blessings you DO have. A positive attitude goes a long way toward your healing. As you think your body will follow. I struggle sometimes but I have to keep moving forward.  I would be willing to talk to you anytime.

• JanuaryDaybreak
    Sorry for being away and not

Sorry for being away and not communicating more.  I do appreciate everyone's warmth and caring.  This is my first week of chemotherapy and radiation therapy, and I am already starting to feel fatigued.  Fortunately, I have only mild chemotherapy once per week, and the radiation oncologist is optimistic about my chances with the daily radiation therapy, since we're focusing on caution and prevention.  So far, everyone has been good to me, and we even get to enjoy hot beverages from the Keurig coffee maker at the radiation oncology clinic.  Tonight my aunt bought burgers because I've been in some minor pain.  

One thing that concerned me is that the cancer is now stage 3A instead of 1B, but I had to dig through my medical records to find out, since no one told me directly.  But my brother was kind enough to buy me an aromatherapy teddy bear to take to chemo.  It's just a reminder that I'm not alone.

I'm just glad to be in good hands with a radiation therapy team that specializes in female cancer.

Thanks again for all the support, ladies.

• NoTimeForCancer
    January, so good to hear from

January, so good to hear from you.  Regarding the fatigue - I would say don't fight it - just sleep.  Sleep is restorative and help heal.   AS for the 3A and 1B stages, those are very different and you might want to ask why you read that after you had been told 1B - that is up to you.  

You have spoke of the kindness of your brother before.  He sounds like a good guy and it is good you have someone special to help you.

You are getting there - you are closer to finishing treatment every day.

• Editgrl
    Hi, January.

Just checking to see how you're doing after your second week of chemo and radiation.  That makes another week closer to the end of treatment!

You crossed my mind and I thought I'd pop over here to see how you were holding up and send some healing energy your way.

• Laura2051
    Laura2051 Member Posts: 34 Member
    Good thoughts for you, January

Hi January. During radiation and chemo I pictured in my mind the cancer going away. I also prayed a lot. After the radiation treatments I would put aloe vera and/ or calendula on the areas that were radiated. I think that drinking aloe vera in your water is helpful as well. Everyday I also went for a walk, even if it was a short one I think this helped with my healing and I continue to walk everyday. Good for the pelvic floor and good for the mind and spirit too. I hope this is helpful to you. Everyday I have to move forward I can't be stuck in the past I can only deal with the now. We are all survivors on this site and you are a survivor too! We are all here to support each other.

• JanuaryDaybreak
    Happy Thursday, cancer sisters.

Thanks so much for checking up on me.  Smile

My third week of chemotherapy/radiation therapy went pretty well.  The radiation oncologist said he's optimistic about my chances, since we're all approaching things from a standpoint of caution and awareness.  One of my cancer sisters at the clinic came up to me unexpectedly and just held me in her arms, wishing me well.  It felt good, and I told her we'd hold hands and crawl together to the finish line.  Everyone at the radiation oncology clinic has been good to me, from the medical team to the reception staff to the valets who park our vehicles for free.  I feel fortunate to be shown so much concern during this leg of my cancer journey.  I'm meeting courageous and kind women in the ladies' dressing room, and it's making me hopeful.

So far, I haven't had much of a problem with nausea or most of the other side effects.  I'm just tired most of the time.  During my weekly talk with the radiation oncologist, he was less than delighted with some 'yucky stuff' he saw during his examination.  Fortunately, he said I just need to use Neosporin and really focus on getting the area clean every time.  So I'm going to take his advice and see how it looks next week when talk to him. 

I also talked to the social worker at his office this week, and it was a productive meeting.  She gave me a lot of useful information, and told me I should have no trouble getting at least some of the financial assistance available out there.  So I've been following up with some of the places she mentioned.  Fingers are crossed.  One made me feel especially hopeful for some reason.  It's called the St. Vincent de Paul Ministry.  My radiation oncologist's middle name?  Vincent de Paul.

Aloe vera water sounds interesting.  I could definitely use something for the redness and the swelling, and natural remedies do sound better.

Much love to all of you, my sisters.  

• NoTimeForCancer
    January - so good to hear

January - so good to hear from you.  You are 'sounding' good.  I pray things continue in this direction.

Hugs.  (Yes, nothing beats the real thing!)