Allergie reaction

Who has an allergic reaction to taxol?

My first chemo with taxol I made uneasiness and fall of tension

Comments

• Nellasing
    Nellasing Member Posts: 528 Member
    edited December 2016 #2
    They give you steriods etc. to keep from having one

they will also watch you very closely and have something on hand should you have a reaction.  Try not to worry- you are in good hands I'm sure.  (((HUGS)))

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member

I had a reaction within seconds after getting it.  I had to premedicate the night before too and they gave me their "cocktail" prior to starting the Taxol.   I ended up with hot chest pain, red hot face, hallucinations and a extremely high BP.   They stopped the infusion immediately and gave me some stuff to stop the reaction.   They changed me to Gemzar.   I had no reaction to that except instead of going once a month for six months I had to go every other week for my treatment 

• Red Dahlia
    Red Dahlia Member Posts: 16

I had a reaction to Taxol during my first treatment.  It was within a few seconds of administration.  I too had all the premeds prior.  The nurse was sitting there talking to me when lights started flashing and swirling on the wall in front of me, and I immediately felt flushed and had chest pressure. The nurse called for help, they put me on oxygen and started giving me more Benydryl.  I recovered quickly.  They gave me more meds and tried it again about 30 minutes later.  I never had a reaction again... although I did start taking ativan prior to each chemo.  because I was always nervous after that.  I was told that once your body has "seen" the taxol, it wouldn't react.  I am also a person who couldn't even take cold medicine without feeling like my hair was standing up, so I may just easily react to things.  From what I was told the reaction rate is fairly low. 

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    edited December 2016 #5

I had a reaction to Taxol during my first treatment.  It was within a few seconds of administration.  I too had all the premeds prior.  The nurse was sitting there talking to me when lights started flashing and swirling on the wall in front of me, and I immediately felt flushed and had chest pressure. The nurse called for help, they put me on oxygen and started giving me more Benydryl.  I recovered quickly.  They gave me more meds and tried it again about 30 minutes later.  I never had a reaction again... although I did start taking ativan prior to each chemo.  because I was always nervous after that.  I was told that once your body has "seen" the taxol, it wouldn't react.  I am also a person who couldn't even take cold medicine without feeling like my hair was standing up, so I may just easily react to things.  From what I was told the reaction rate is fairly low. 

I forgot about the flashy

I forgot about the flashy lights - I called it stars

• paris11
    paris11 Member Posts: 159
    edited December 2016 #6
    Sandrine,

Sandrine,

Le taxol est utilisé aux États-Unis. L'infirmière prendra de vous. J'ai eu taxol en 2008, 2010 et 2013. Je n'ai aucun cancer aujourd'hui.
    Amour et prières.
    Connie

• derMaus
    derMaus Member Posts: 558 Member
    edited December 2016 #7
    Kaleena said:

I forgot about the flashy

I forgot about the flashy lights - I called it stars

First Chemo

I had my first chemo today and had a very mild reaction to the taxol. They stopped it, fed in some more buffer drugs, then started it again at half-speed which worked up to full speed after a half-hour. I had no further problems, but the nurse said a reaction can come up any time, not just the first. Has anyone else had that experience?

At least, because they had to give me so much Benedryl, I was able to come home and fall right to sleep. I was really afraid of the 3-day steriod high some people have reported.  

I also fasted beginning yesterday morning, and will break my fast tomorrow morning. This isn't much of a tragedy, since I had a radical hysterectomy three weeks ago today and still don't have much appetite. Many of you here have reported lessening side effects with such an approach; I'll report back on how it goes for me.

Take care, my friends. B 

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,352 Member
    edited December 2016 #8
    derMaus said:

First Chemo

I had my first chemo today and had a very mild reaction to the taxol. They stopped it, fed in some more buffer drugs, then started it again at half-speed which worked up to full speed after a half-hour. I had no further problems, but the nurse said a reaction can come up any time, not just the first. Has anyone else had that experience?

At least, because they had to give me so much Benedryl, I was able to come home and fall right to sleep. I was really afraid of the 3-day steriod high some people have reported.  

I also fasted beginning yesterday morning, and will break my fast tomorrow morning. This isn't much of a tragedy, since I had a radical hysterectomy three weeks ago today and still don't have much appetite. Many of you here have reported lessening side effects with such an approach; I'll report back on how it goes for me.

Take care, my friends. B 

B, I was monitored with a

B, I was monitored with a blood pressure cuff the entire time I got the Taxol as a reaction is always possible.  I am not sure why you fasted, was that recommended by the doctor?  I have not heard that, but maybe they have changed things since I got chemo four years ago. I would suggest calling the office and seeing if that is right.  Chemo has made many of us lose our taste and not want to eat and losing weight is not want the doctors want.  I really had to force myself to eat throughout the entire time, and then, I tried to eat protein to help my poor, little marrow so it would keep producing red and white blood cells. 

I also remember my first IV Benedryl.  Wow!  I had never experienced anything like THAT before.  Thank goodness my treatment was given while I was in a bed.  

You are going to amaze yourself in this journey.   

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member
    derMaus said:

First Chemo

Take care, my friends. B 

Taxol reaction

i had a reaction to Taxol number 3 about have way through, very similar to Red Dahlia.  They also stopped it,  gave more Benadril and when on. I never had another reaction to the Taxol and I have had many.

i was also told the exact opposite about fasting. I was told to always eats something.  Sat next to a lady who decided it would be a good idea to not eat and it was an unpleasant experience for not only her, but for the rest of us who were sitting close by.  They did give her anti nausia meds, but they do take a while to work.

B.  Glad  you made it through chemo #1. That is the hardest one

Lou Ann

• Editgrl
    Editgrl Member Posts: 903 Member
    edited December 2016 #10

B, I was monitored with a

B, I was monitored with a blood pressure cuff the entire time I got the Taxol as a reaction is always possible.  I am not sure why you fasted, was that recommended by the doctor?  I have not heard that, but maybe they have changed things since I got chemo four years ago. I would suggest calling the office and seeing if that is right.  Chemo has made many of us lose our taste and not want to eat and losing weight is not want the doctors want.  I really had to force myself to eat throughout the entire time, and then, I tried to eat protein to help my poor, little marrow so it would keep producing red and white blood cells. 

I also remember my first IV Benedryl.  Wow!  I had never experienced anything like THAT before.  Thank goodness my treatment was given while I was in a bed.  

You are going to amaze yourself in this journey.   

Fasting

Actually, I have read quite a bit lately about short term fasting in combination with chemotherapy enhancing the effects of the chemo and protecting normal cells.  The theory is that normal cells switch from growing and reproducing to internal maintenance. However, cancer cells don't make the switch and become more susceptible to the chemo as their energy source is depleted.  There have been some very interesting studies in mice that showed dramatic differences in mice who were deprived of food during chemo and those who were not.

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member
    Lou Ann M said:

Taxol reaction

i had a reaction to Taxol number 3 about have way through, very similar to Red Dahlia.  They also stopped it,  gave more Benadril and when on. I never had another reaction to the Taxol and I have had many.

i was also told the exact opposite about fasting. I was told to always eats something.  Sat next to a lady who decided it would be a good idea to not eat and it was an unpleasant experience for not only her, but for the rest of us who were sitting close by.  They did give her anti nausia meds, but they do take a while to work.

B.  Glad  you made it through chemo #1. That is the hardest one

Lou Ann

Differences

Thankfully, I am again reminded how wonderfully, uniquely different we each are.  And so are our doctors, and support crew.  What is good for one may not be for the next person and what is not so good for one may be the exact anwser for someone else.  So glad for all the research that is going on.  We all have to go with treatment options that weare comfortable with.

Hugs and prayers to all, Lou Ann

• Nellasing
    Nellasing Member Posts: 528 Member
    edited December 2016 #12
    derMaus said:

First Chemo

Take care, my friends. B 

You made it- YAY!

Hi B- so glad you made it through your first one without too much trouble.  They slowed my 1st one way down because I got really light headed but I never had a problem after that.  My cheeks got really really pink and stayed that way for a day.  I never had trouble sleeping and I think it was the drugs to keep me from reacting to the Taxol.

I work with a Naturopath who specializes in oncology and she has me on a number of supplements, Iv therapy and a decoction. I also got acupuncture 3 days before and the day after chemo and weekly thereafter.   They are the same as I have been on since I got diagnosed.  We would stop them all 48 hrs before chemo and resume 48 hrs after chemo and I would begin the protein sparing ketogenic diet during that time.  Editgirl is right about why they think this will help.  I have to say reading the reports of others is the only way that I know how easily I made it through the side effects.  I never threw up or lost my appetite and my tastes never changed, the aches and pains only lasted about 3 days and though I got weaker and more fatigued each treatment I still was able to continue walking some.  I did get neutropenic and have to have the Neulasta shot from my 3rd treatment on.  My neuropathy seems to be in my feet and mostly in and under my toes- probably very little compared to others.  My vision got quite blurry at times and I got dizzy often- those are calming down the further away from chemo I get.

Again, everyone is different, so what happens for one or doesn't happen for another may or may not be the case for you.  Prayers as you go through whatever side effects come up.  You are doing great and we are so happy to hear from you!!!!  Keep us posted (((HUGS)))

• Kvdyson
    Kvdyson Member Posts: 789
    edited December 2016 #13
    derMaus said:

First Chemo

Take care, my friends. B 

derMaus, it's great to hear

derMaus, it's great to hear that your first infusion went pretty well and that the nurses were on top of things. Hopefully the rest will be even easier for you.

I agree with the others about asking your oncologist before fasting on your own. I was told to eat a light breakfast and lunch during my treatments (mine lasted 3-days each) and then a dinner that was heavy on protein. Your body needs it to start re-producing the good cells that the chemo kills.

In addition, I was told to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate - but not just to drink plain water. My onc nurses recommended drinking G2 Gatorade along with watered-down fruit juices, and lemon water. The hydration ensures that your body expels the chemo timely.

Please keep us posted on how you are feeling. The next couple of days may be a bit of a roller coaster for you so just hang in there. This too shall pass. Kim

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,352 Member
    edited December 2016 #14
    Editgrl said:

Fasting

Actually, I have read quite a bit lately about short term fasting in combination with chemotherapy enhancing the effects of the chemo and protecting normal cells.  The theory is that normal cells switch from growing and reproducing to internal maintenance. However, cancer cells don't make the switch and become more susceptible to the chemo as their energy source is depleted.  There have been some very interesting studies in mice that showed dramatic differences in mice who were deprived of food during chemo and those who were not.

Thanks, Chris!  I learned

Thanks, Chris!  I learned something new and will put that in my back pocket.  Never know when I need to pull that out.

• Editgrl
    Editgrl Member Posts: 903 Member
    edited December 2016 #15

Thanks, Chris!  I learned

Thanks, Chris!  I learned something new and will put that in my back pocket.  Never know when I need to pull that out.

I know!

I didn't read about this until after I was finished with chemo.  Though I have to say, I've always been leery of fasting because I am so slender.  I do do intermittent fasting (14-16 hours between dinner and breakfast) a couple of times a week.  That seems to be manageable.

• derMaus
    So far so good...

THank you to my wonderful friends who responded to my post. I feel so fortunate to have found a community like this, even though none of us want to be here ;) .  RE: fasting, I didn't ask about it, I just did it based on studies and other friends who've had chemo. Since I have such limited appetite after my surgery, I have little incentive to eat anyway. I fasted from Sunday morning, chemo on Monday, then broke my fast early Tuesday morning. Right before I left for chemo, I was having horrible stomach acid due to stress, so I had two swallows of milk, which settled everything right down and I had no further problems. I did take a bottle of water w/lemon squeezed in it, and I drank that throughout treatment (although I'm still not drinking as much as I'm supposed to). Before I went to bed Monday, I ate two teaspoons of sugar-free jello to settle my stomach again. I do feel okay today, if tired and ever-so-slightly hung over, so if this is the worst I get I'll take it as an endorsement of my limited fast. I do know enough about biology to understand the reasons why it's recommended, and would work, even if I can't get up to the entire 60-72 hours as done in clinical trials. For me, knowing that I went into chemo with weakened cancer cells makes it worthwhile! I will continue to post updates on this as I go along - who know, by treatment four, I could be eating the furniture!  Best wishes, B

• derMaus
    edited December 2016 #17
    Kvdyson said:

derMaus, it's great to hear

derMaus, it's great to hear that your first infusion went pretty well and that the nurses were on top of things. Hopefully the rest will be even easier for you.

I agree with the others about asking your oncologist before fasting on your own. I was told to eat a light breakfast and lunch during my treatments (mine lasted 3-days each) and then a dinner that was heavy on protein. Your body needs it to start re-producing the good cells that the chemo kills.

In addition, I was told to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate - but not just to drink plain water. My onc nurses recommended drinking G2 Gatorade along with watered-down fruit juices, and lemon water. The hydration ensures that your body expels the chemo timely.

Please keep us posted on how you are feeling. The next couple of days may be a bit of a roller coaster for you so just hang in there. This too shall pass. Kim

THanks, Kim! Actually I wasn

THanks, Kim! Actually I wasn't told anything about eating, so I'm not going against any directions per se, or so I would tell the nuns were I still in Catholic school :).  Good reminder about the Gatorade, I'm going to get some of that right away. I generally drink water or iced/green tea with lemon in it, but can sure see how the Gatorade would be a better proposition.

• Kvdyson
    Kvdyson Member Posts: 789
    edited December 2016 #18
    derMaus said:

THanks, Kim! Actually I wasn't told anything about eating, so I'm not going against any directions per se, or so I would tell the nuns were I still in Catholic school :).  Good reminder about the Gatorade, I'm going to get some of that right away. I generally drink water or iced/green tea with lemon in it, but can sure see how the Gatorade would be a better proposition.

Green Tea During Treatment

derMaus, I was told to not drink green tea during treatments as it contains antioxidants which may help the cancer cells grow. Maybe you should check with your oncologist about it just to be sure in your case? There are many diffferent opinions on the subject so your onc may be fine with it.

• Soup52
    Soup52 Member Posts: 908 Member
    Kvdyson said:

Green Tea During Treatment

derMaus, I was told to not drink green tea during treatments as it contains antioxidants which may help the cancer cells grow. Maybe you should check with your oncologist about it just to be sure in your case? There are many diffferent opinions on the subject so your onc may be fine with it.

I was also told not to drink

I was also told not to drink green tea during treatment.

• MAbound
    MAbound Member Posts: 1,168 Member
    derMaus said:

Antioxidants

Besides green tea because of the antioxidants it has,  I was also told no fish oil supplements or fatty fish during chemo because it can induce chemoresistence. Anybody else told that?

• pinky104
    pinky104 Member Posts: 574 Member
    MAbound said:

Antioxidants

Besides green tea because of the antioxidants it has,  I was also told no fish oil supplements or fatty fish during chemo because it can induce chemoresistence. Anybody else told that?

Fish Oil

I'm lucky to be a 6 year survivor of stage IVb UPSC.  I've been taking fish oil for a very long time (years before I got cancer).  I don't drink any kind of tea, green or otherwise) or coffee, and the only fish I eat is tuna, which I don't have very often.  The fish oil apparently didn't induce chemoresistance in me, or I wouldn't still be here (knock on wood!).