Survivor

Just wanted to let all the newbies who are out there.. I am a stage 4 colon cancer survivor completely NED for 6 years 9 mths!!!!!! There is hope!!!! Hugs to all!!!!

Lisa _R

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

It has been a tough year, with losses and folks having reucurrences.

How wonderful it is to hear your news. 

I am thankful for your continued NED and I am thankful to you for posting.

TRU

• nateswife
    nateswife Member Posts: 65
    Hi Lisa, thanks for the

Hi Lisa, thanks for the encouragement and good news. I read your profile and see that you had "too many tumors to count." Where were they located? You had a liver resection and I'm wondering how much of your liver was cancerous? Im asking because my liver is 30-40% covered in tumors (last I knew) and I've been told that a resection isn't possible because of the size and location of the tumors. 

• danker
    danker Member Posts: 1,276 Member
    me too

I was only stage 2 boardering on 3 at age 77.  Now 84 NED for 6 yrs. Obviously there is much hope!!!

• Lisa_R
    Lisa_R Member Posts: 59
    nateswife said:

Hi Lisa, thanks for the

Hi Lisa, thanks for the encouragement and good news. I read your profile and see that you had "too many tumors to count." Where were they located? You had a liver resection and I'm wondering how much of your liver was cancerous? Im asking because my liver is 30-40% covered in tumors (last I knew) and I've been told that a resection isn't possible because of the size and location of the tumors. 

It was explained that my

It was explained that my liver looked like a spotted leopard . . 1 was 8cm... I did chemo till all but the last one was down to 2 cm... they only took 20% of my liver . . 

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    edited November 2016 #6
    Congrats

6 years 9 months is so great to read....

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    edited November 2016 #7
    Hooray! Thanks for the

Hooray! Thanks for the wonderful update!!

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited November 2016 #8
    Thanks for sharing Lisa, we

Thanks for sharing Lisa, we need to hear stories of battling back and living free of this scourge, it inspires.................................Dave

• nateswife
    nateswife Member Posts: 65
    Lisa_R said:

It was explained that my

It was explained that my liver looked like a spotted leopard . . 1 was 8cm... I did chemo till all but the last one was down to 2 cm... they only took 20% of my liver . . 

Platelets

Did your platelets ever get in the way of treatment? I had hoped that chemo would shrink all my liver tumors to the point that surgery is possible, but my platelets keep dropping so I've been on less & less chemo and right now have had to stop. Am hoping that they'll come back up.

• Micheleamw1
    Micheleamw1 Member Posts: 9
    edited November 2016 #10
    Thank you so much for sharing

Thank you so much for sharing.  My dad is now stage 4 after being a stage 3c survivor for 13 years.  Best, Michele 

• John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    edited November 2016 #11
    Staging

For what it's worth.....

They refer to that condition as "stage 3c with metastasis"; the staging does not change from the original staging.

Hoping he does well!

John

• mokomapa
    mokomapa Member Posts: 24
    edited November 2016 #12
    10 years

10 years and 7 months!  Never give up!!!

• kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    edited November 2016 #13
    10 years here

10 years and 3 months!  Keep trying, always.  

• kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    edited November 2016 #14
    nateswife said:

Platelets

Did your platelets ever get in the way of treatment? I had hoped that chemo would shrink all my liver tumors to the point that surgery is possible, but my platelets keep dropping so I've been on less & less chemo and right now have had to stop. Am hoping that they'll come back up.

Platelets - finicky little guys

Yes, platelets, neutrophils, and neuropathy caused me to have to delay treatment more than once.  It's frustrating, but you really want to be optimized as much as possible before each treatment.  It's just another detour on your journey, but you will get there.  Hugs.

• byrdstrong
    byrdstrong Member Posts: 3
    thanks

THanks for your comment. My husband, 35 year old vegeterian cross country runner was diagnosed a week ago with stage 4 colon cancer. We are just starting the journey and are very scared. (well, I am!)

• Colonchick
    Colonchick Member Posts: 36 Member
    edited December 2016 #16
    Hooray! I'm one of the

Hooray! I'm one of the newbies that need to hear the positive!!! Again, I'm so happy for you!!!!!

• Joan M
    Joan M Member Posts: 409 Member
    So good to hear your story Lisa!

How long did it take fot the 8cm tumor to shrink so small?  Was the chemo what shrunk it?  I have 20 tumors and have been told they cannot operate on me due to the number and location.  Chemo has been shrinking the tumors, but not even 50% reduction yet.  Have you been on any long term chemo like Avastin or Xeloda?

Joan