Another Chemo Treatment Done

Monday I had my 2nd chemo treatment.  Actually since I had both carbo/taxol this time my dr considers it my first treatment.  The one in October was actually just carbo to get a head start on treating anything floating around.  It went very well.  I am seeing a radiation oncologist on Dec 5 because she wants to do radiation on the vaginal cuff which is the place it may reoccur first and I did have 1 para aortic and 1 pelvic lymph node affected (which were removed along with all other signs of the disease), so she is being very aggressive and proactive to treat anything that may reoccur down the road.  I agree completely.  I don't know anything about the radiation treatment.  There seems to be external and internal??

She also is give me 7 treatments of carbo/taxol due to the studies say at this time 7 is the best.  So far day 2 and on steroids until tomorrow which will be my 3rd day so we will see how Thursday and the weekend go.  She said I will get really tired from the taxol but luckily my blood counts, especially my white count, was very good so no Neulasta this time.  Hopefully (knock on wood) it will stay high. 

Released to go back to work part-time on Monday, for 6 hours a day.  I have a desk job and my boss is putting me in my own office to stay more isolated from the rest of my peeps so that will help a lot.  She is a very remarkable boss and is so exicted I am coming back.  Anything I need she is more than willing to do so I am very lucky to have her.  Praying you are all doing well.   Hugs & prayers,  Maryanne

Comments

• Soup52
    Soup52 Member Posts: 908 Member
    Glad to hear your chemo went

Glad to hear your chemo went well so far:) if they are treating the vaginal cuff it will be internal radiation also known as brachytherapY. I had three brachytherapy treatments and also 5 weeks of external radiation. There is a thread I believe on ladiaties going through radiation treatments. Best of luck! I had agressive treatment and I'm still here:)

• Nellasing
    Nellasing Member Posts: 528 Member
    Hi Maryanne

It is so good to hear that your 2nd chemo went well.  Keep us posted as you go along. 

I had good blood counts til the 3rd round.  I was turned away that day given a nupegen shot and returned the following Wed. and from that treatment on I had a neulasta shot after each treatment.  Everyone is different but that is my experience.

So glad they are working with you at your job and that you feel supported!  These treatments tend to be cumulative so it will help that they understand.

Thinking of you (((HUGS))) and prayers  <3

• janaes
    janaes Member Posts: 799 Member
    edited November 2016 #4
    I want to wish to luck with

I want to wish to luck with your job.  Some of the ladies here did just fine working during chemo.  I hope it goes as well for you.  Having a sit down job and a good and helpful  boss will sure help.   Im so glad my new boss is working with me.  Take care of your self.

hugs janae

• MAbound
    MAbound Member Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited November 2016 #5
    Soup52 said:

Glad to hear your chemo went

Glad to hear your chemo went well so far:) if they are treating the vaginal cuff it will be internal radiation also known as brachytherapY. I had three brachytherapy treatments and also 5 weeks of external radiation. There is a thread I believe on ladiaties going through radiation treatments. Best of luck! I had agressive treatment and I'm still here:)

Vaginal Cuff RT

I'm not having brachytherapy, but they are treating the vaginal cuff externally by recalibrating the image guided 3D-CRT to give a "boost" to the vaginaly cuff area. I don't know if this is something new that they do or just an alternative to brachytherapy to treat that area.

• Mmpeterson
    Mmpeterson Member Posts: 124
    edited November 2016 #6
    janaes said:

I want to wish to luck with

I want to wish to luck with your job.  Some of the ladies here did just fine working during chemo.  I hope it goes as well for you.  Having a sit down job and a good and helpful  boss will sure help.   Im so glad my new boss is working with me.  Take care of your self.

hugs janae

I am so happy you are doing

I am so happy you are doing well back at work Janae!  I am looking forward to it.  Getting out for a bit each day to see people that have supported me tremendously through this.  It helps keeps my positive attitude going.  Good luck to you as well and hope you continue to stay healthy.  Hugs to you, Maryanne

• Mmpeterson
    MAbound said:

Vaginal Cuff RT

I'm not having brachytherapy, but they are treating the vaginal cuff externally by recalibrating the image guided 3D-CRT to give a "boost" to the vaginaly cuff area. I don't know if this is something new that they do or just an alternative to brachytherapy to treat that area.

Interesting, I may have to

Interesting, I may have to ask about that on Dec 5.  Thank you for letting me know!  Hugs, Maryanne

• Kvdyson
    Kvdyson Member Posts: 789
    MAbound said:

Vaginal Cuff RT

That is exactly how/where my

That is exactly how/where my external radiation was delivered (in addition to the surgical margins and lymph nodes adjacent to the margins). It's worked for me so far (knock-on-wood). Hope it works for you, too! Kim

• rcdeman
    rcdeman Member Posts: 263 Member
    I don't want to start a new

I don't want to start a new thread, so I'm posting this here, but it seems that my mom's hair has started to fall out in large amounts about two days ago (15-16 days after her first chemo session). So far, she's still suffering from fatigue and back ache (tiredness). She has taken to wearing a back brace to minimize the tiredness. Has anyone else suffered from back pain/tiredness during their chemo treatments (other than Janae)?

She still gets twinges of pain and discomfort in her pelvic area and her appetite is small. She also has to use the restroom very often (I'm not sure if this is the effect of the removal of so many of her lymph nodes). So far, there is no sign of neuropathy and her lymphadema is not as bad as it was immediately after surgery. Thankfully, it doesn't seem she has too much trouble with constipation and her nausea and dizziness has been minimal. Her second chemo session is this coming Monday 11/21. Please pray that this session goes well without any complications as well!

(Anyone else undergoing their first chemo treatments currently? I know Maryanne and Scotgirl are.)

Love and prayers,
    Rebecca

• Editgrl
    Editgrl Member Posts: 903 Member
    MAbound said:

Vaginal Cuff RT

I've heard of this before

Back in January when I was considering radiation, my radiologist also told me that I wouldn't have to have both external and brachytherapy, that they could design a plan to encompass the vaginal cuff through external rads.

• Mmpeterson
    rcdeman said:

I don't want to start a new thread, so I'm posting this here, but it seems that my mom's hair has started to fall out in large amounts about two days ago (15-16 days after her first chemo session). So far, she's still suffering from fatigue and back ache (tiredness). She has taken to wearing a back brace to minimize the tiredness. Has anyone else suffered from back pain/tiredness during their chemo treatments (other than Janae)?

She still gets twinges of pain and discomfort in her pelvic area and her appetite is small. She also has to use the restroom very often (I'm not sure if this is the effect of the removal of so many of her lymph nodes). So far, there is no sign of neuropathy and her lymphadema is not as bad as it was immediately after surgery. Thankfully, it doesn't seem she has too much trouble with constipation and her nausea and dizziness has been minimal. Her second chemo session is this coming Monday 11/21. Please pray that this session goes well without any complications as well!

(Anyone else undergoing their first chemo treatments currently? I know Maryanne and Scotgirl are.)

Love and prayers,
    Rebecca

Hi Rebecca, last Monday my dr

Hi Rebecca, last Monday my dr added the Taxol and she did tell me that I will get very tired because of it.  It is day 5 after chemo and I haven't gotten to the point of exhaustion but around 6 at night I start to get worn out so I get to bed early.  Other than that I am doing good (knock on wood) and hope it will continue through the rest of my treatments.  Many of the ladies commented that sometimes they will do fine one treatment and then not so good with another.  My dr oncology nurse told me that they get easier with each treament so I will see.  That would be a good thing but everyone's body reacts different.  My blood work came back really good so no Neulasta patch, thank goodness.  Once in a while my knees will get achy but that may be because of the changing weather here is Texas.  I was able to get a head start on the constipation this time around and still take my Colace, Senokot, and Miralax 2x a day.  I do get tiny little red bumps on my skin that start to itch and I am sure it's the chemo causing this but I use Dial antibacterial soap and Eucerin Intensive Therapy lotion and it seems to help.  My hair hasn't come out yet but I am sure by next week it will so I have my wig ready to go.  Other than that, still eating and I am drinking a gallon of purified water everyday.  I will certainly keep you and your Mom in my prayers everyday that she will do great with her upcoming treatment.  Hugs & prayers!!!  Maryanne

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member
    rcdeman said:

Love and prayers,
    Rebecca

Hi, Rebecca

i did have quite a bit,of bone pain in my back and legs after I had Taxol.  It usually only lasted a few days.  I took one hydrocodone at night so,I could sleep for about two days.  It seemed to bother more at night.  Fatigue seems to be a very common side effect and so is loss of appetite.  I didn't get neuropathy until I was done with front line treatment.  It still bthers me at night a few days a week, but it is getting better.  

Hugs and prayers to both of you,

Lou Ann

• rcdeman
    rcdeman Member Posts: 263 Member
    Thanks for your replies, Lou

Thanks for your replies, Lou Ann and Maryanne! Glad to have your support.

I know that everyone reacts to chemo differently. Maryanne, my mom doesn't have the problem with the itchy red bumps, but starting today (one day after her second chemo session, she's developed a red flush to her face. It looks similar to getting sunburnt, but just in her face area. She says her face feels hot, but there is no itchiness. Has anyone had this occur to them as well?) Either way, I'm glad it doesn't seem to be bothering her too much.

She still feels okay today, other than fatigue and her back (spine) feeling tired. She's also developing mild neuropathy in her left toes (and to a lesser degree on her right feet). Her fingers still feel fine, fortunately.

Maryanne, I'm glad you are doing well with your treatments so far. No neulasta or neupogen shot here either so far although her RBC count is low and platelet count is high. Her WBC count is borderline low, but even before chemo, my mom has always had low blood counts. Let's pray that you and my mom continue to plough through these treatments without complications!

Lou Ann, other than minor bone joint pain (maybe an exacerbation of arthritis?) and spinal cord fatigue, my mom doesn't seem to have that bad so far. I've bought her some egg-shell membrane tablets so she can take them when she's feeling it, but it doesn't seem she needs them too often. She's starting to develop the neuropathy, but I've heard that neuropathy eventually heals to a certain degree. I'm hoping this is the case for you! Are you still doing well on Keytruda? No abysmal side effects or anything?

Fighting!
    Rebecca

• Mmpeterson
    edited November 2016 #14
    rcdeman said:

I know that everyone reacts to chemo differently. Maryanne, my mom doesn't have the problem with the itchy red bumps, but starting today (one day after her second chemo session, she's developed a red flush to her face. It looks similar to getting sunburnt, but just in her face area. She says her face feels hot, but there is no itchiness. Has anyone had this occur to them as well?) Either way, I'm glad it doesn't seem to be bothering her too much.

She still feels okay today, other than fatigue and her back (spine) feeling tired. She's also developing mild neuropathy in her left toes (and to a lesser degree on her right feet). Her fingers still feel fine, fortunately.

Maryanne, I'm glad you are doing well with your treatments so far. No neulasta or neupogen shot here either so far although her RBC count is low and platelet count is high. Her WBC count is borderline low, but even before chemo, my mom has always had low blood counts. Let's pray that you and my mom continue to plough through these treatments without complications!

Lou Ann, other than minor bone joint pain (maybe an exacerbation of arthritis?) and spinal cord fatigue, my mom doesn't seem to have that bad so far. I've bought her some egg-shell membrane tablets so she can take them when she's feeling it, but it doesn't seem she needs them too often. She's starting to develop the neuropathy, but I've heard that neuropathy eventually heals to a certain degree. I'm hoping this is the case for you! Are you still doing well on Keytruda? No abysmal side effects or anything?

Fighting!
    Rebecca

Hi Rebecca - very happy your

Hi Rebecca - very happy your mom is through her second treatment.  I do get sometimes warm and it's not a hot flash.  It just kind of comes and goes but doesn't last very long.  No neuropathy and I am hoping to not have that side effect but you just never know.  Let your mom know that I am praying for her and your family that she will continue to do well.  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving.   Many hugs and prayers!  Maryanne

• Nellasing
    Nellasing Member Posts: 528 Member
    rcdeman said:

Fighting!
    Rebecca

Glad your mama is doing ok- they told me it was from the steriods they give you for the taxol-   Maybe someone will have more indepth info but that's what I was told as I had it too directly after chemo.  I have some crazy hot flashes- I get so hot my poor bald head sweats... lol  I do have some hair up there now.  My neuropathy is mostly in my toes and top part of my foot on my right side- they cut my last two treatments back by 25% on the taxol because the Dr. said that the effect is cumulative and could be permanent so keep mentioning it to them - always mention everything to them as a matter of fact- the flushing and anything else- they have so much experience- it is better to let them decide if it's nothing to worry about right?  (((HUGS)) and continued prayers <3<3

• MAbound
    MAbound Member Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited November 2016 #16
    Kvdyson said:

That is exactly how/where my

That is exactly how/where my external radiation was delivered (in addition to the surgical margins and lymph nodes adjacent to the margins). It's worked for me so far (knock-on-wood). Hope it works for you, too! Kim

Thanks

Thanks for the well wishes Kim. I seem to be getting through RT w/o too many issues other than some internal soreness afterward sometimes...usually towards the middle of the week or later. Having the weekends off seems to help me recoup. The advice I got to take probiotics during this seems to have really helped. The hardest part of this seems to have been mental because I was really hoping to not have to do it. I was pretty emotional in the beginning, but I've settled down now. Still a ways to go, but I'm getting there! Thanks everybody for all of the help when I was first facing this, I think about you all when I need to keep my mind off of the machine moving around me during treatments. I really hate that tone you hear when the dose is delivered! (Not to mention the really lousy oldies they play to supposedly relax you!)

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    edited November 2016 #17
    Yep, the red face is very

Yep, the red face is very normal and is from the steroids.  My face got almost purple after one of my treatments. It does resolve in a couple of days.

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member
    rcdeman said:

Fighting!
    Rebecca

So far so good

no real side effects from the Keytruda. Or at least nothing that I recognize as a side effect.  M right lower back at my SI joint has been bothering me lot, don't know if if from the PT exercises, arthritis, or maybe if the Keytruda is making my immune system attack the inflamation that is there.  DOes your mom get Decadron/ decamethazone before her chemo infusion. It is know to cause red cheeks.  It is a serious that helps prevent allergic reactions.

Hugs and prayers, Lou Ann

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,677 Member
    Me, too

I had the red face from steroids but only with the first chemo For some reason.

• Soup52
    Soup52 Member Posts: 908 Member
    I had the red face a few

I had the red face a few times, but it didn't last long for me.