Stage 4 NED 8 Years

Randy33
Randy33 Member Posts: 69 Member

Saw my onc yesteday for my annual visit. My CEA was 2.5 which is within my normal range of 2-3 so I am still cancer free. Eight years down and two to go before I can considernmyself cured. Just wanted to let everyone know in case you are following a similar program to mine. For those new to the Board I do the following to prevent recurrance:

1. Exercise

MWF-AM-walk 1 hr then 20 min yoga

PM- 20 min high intensisty workout then 1 hr weightlifting

TThS- AM-walk 1 hr the 20 min yoga

PM-run 1 hr

Sun- walk 1hr then 20 min. pilates

2. Diet- Mediterranian, no sugar, no processed grains, no red meat. Lots of veggies, fruit,fish  green tea, tumerric.

3. Supplements- asprin, multi-vitamin. fish oil, vit. D, reveratrol, co-q-10, probiotic

4. Avoid stress

5. Prayer

6. Visualize your anti-bodies attacking your cancer cells

I also started intermitten fasting. Two 24 hr fasts a week.

So that is my plan. I will report back next year on my status. Good luck and best wishes to all of you.

Randy

Comments

• kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    edited November 2016 #2
    So happy to hear it!

What you are doing is working, Randy.  I'm so happy for you!

Kirsten

• Joan M
    Joan M Member Posts: 409 Member
    edited November 2016 #3
    Amazing! Thanks for sharing

Randy,

Thank you so  much for sharing your health and diet routine.  I was diagnosed at stage 4 the end of February.  All doctors I have seen say that they cannot operate on me at all due to the number of tumors in my liver.  I have been on chemo since March 2016. I had 8 rounds with Oxaloplatin, 5FU, leucavorin and Avastin, now am on a maintainence regime for the rest of my life.  The scans all show that the tumors continue to shrink and the CEA has been  under 5 since June 2016.

I have increased the amount of exercise. It has been hard for me to follow a strict diet such as you do, but I will try much harder seeing how well it has worked for you. 

Look forward to your updates!

Joan

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Good news!

Thanks for the update, Randy. I'm glad you have a handle on everything, and wish you continued sucess. 

I continue to try, abeit not very hard, to keep myself on a healthy diet with exercist. 

SUE

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    Good for you! It makes me so

Good for you! It makes me so happy when someone has cheated cancer of another victim. You have a very strict treatment regimen. I wouldn't be able to stick to the Mediteranean diet at all. Its almost impossible to keep sugar ou of our diets and many things turn into sugars once consumed. I wish I could get more exercise but I've had a majoy health issue since the cancer and just walking around is really tough, my stamina is very low. I'm hoping to get into yoga soon, possibly whatever they call it- chair yoga? sitting yoga?- something like that because if I do too much I pay for it for days afterwards.

Anyway, thank you so mush for sharing your story of hope and what you're doing about it. Best wishes for the future!!!!

Jan

• Bellen
    Bellen Member Posts: 281 Member
    Joan M - Maintenance Regime

Hello Joan M - Would you tell us more about your maintenance regime - what chemo cocktail and how often you would have it.  I am having folfuri + avastin (3 treatments so far for CRC + several liver mets) - will have CT scan after 3 mos.  Wishing you well.  Bellen

• Joan M
    edited November 2016 #7
    Bellen said:

Joan M - Maintenance Regime

Hello Joan M - Would you tell us more about your maintenance regime - what chemo cocktail and how often you would have it.  I am having folfuri + avastin (3 treatments so far for CRC + several liver mets) - will have CT scan after 3 mos.  Wishing you well.  Bellen

Maintainence chemo

Bellen, I sent you a private message but will post here too.

I recieved a total of 8 rounds of Oxaliplatin, Leucovorin, Avastin, and 5FU began in March 2016, had chemo every two weeks and finished first part of July.  The end of July I started on the maintainence chemo:  a 30 minute infusion of Avastin and then 2500 mg of Xeloda split in morning and afternoon doses for 14 days and then 7 days off. 

This chemo schedule was prescribed by Dr. Axel Grothey at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester.  My first doctor told me that I would have 12 rounds of  Oxaliplatin, but Grothey said they have found that more 8 rounds can cause permanent neuropathy and other side effects, and that the curative benefits from 10 or 12 rounds is not statistically significant.  He felt that looking at my overall health and reactions to the chemo that I would likely live for "many years".  I am trusting him because I have done well so far with chemo with minimal side effects.  My tumors continue to shrink and CEA levels keep going down. 

My doctor here in Fargo said he wants me to go to MD Anderson for targeted immunotherapy if (he actually said "when") my cancer gets worse.  I would like to get the hope they will find a cure soon, so I don't have to be on chemo forever. 

I pray for many more years of life!

Joan

• Trubrit
    edited November 2016 #8
    Joan M said:

Maintainence chemo

Bellen, I sent you a private message but will post here too.

I recieved a total of 8 rounds of Oxaliplatin, Leucovorin, Avastin, and 5FU began in March 2016, had chemo every two weeks and finished first part of July.  The end of July I started on the maintainence chemo:  a 30 minute infusion of Avastin and then 2500 mg of Xeloda split in morning and afternoon doses for 14 days and then 7 days off. 

This chemo schedule was prescribed by Dr. Axel Grothey at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester.  My first doctor told me that I would have 12 rounds of  Oxaliplatin, but Grothey said they have found that more 8 rounds can cause permanent neuropathy and other side effects, and that the curative benefits from 10 or 12 rounds is not statistically significant.  He felt that looking at my overall health and reactions to the chemo that I would likely live for "many years".  I am trusting him because I have done well so far with chemo with minimal side effects.  My tumors continue to shrink and CEA levels keep going down. 

My doctor here in Fargo said he wants me to go to MD Anderson for targeted immunotherapy if (he actually said "when") my cancer gets worse.  I would like to get the hope they will find a cure soon, so I don't have to be on chemo forever. 

I pray for many more years of life!

Joan

Flagged

Posts will duplicate if you hit the back button. You have to go to the top of the page and hit Colorectal Cancer and then it doesn't duplicate. Well, thats my theory. 

When it happens to me, I just flag the post and then the admins delete it.  I flagged your double post for you. 

TRU

• Joan M
    Thanks Trubrit

Thank you for the tip.  I dont know how to do an "about me" page either.  Could you please me send a private message explaining how to I can do that or how to start a blog?

• Trubrit
    Joan M said:

Thanks Trubrit

Thank you for the tip.  I dont know how to do an "about me" page either.  Could you please me send a private message explaining how to I can do that or how to start a blog?

I replied to your message, twice. Good luck!

TRU

• traci43
    traci43 Member Posts: 773 Member
    edited November 2016 #11
    Woohoo!!!!!

Awesome news indeed!  Happy dance for you. I hope you continue with clear scans.  Traci