Red dots appearing under skin, what next

ten days after 1st  chemo have itchy under the skin, flat, blood red small spots, hurtful if I scratch otherwise would not know they are there - several on my thigh, one on my chest, now one on my cheek - what next, everyday something new, yesterday bloody nose. Barely a day since first chemo that I haven't had something off the long laundry list of possible side affects. Need one day to feel like I am on the upswing before chemo #2. Yesterday was the best day, got buzzed and loved it because it was on my terms, absolutely liberating. Has anyone experienced the red spots? So angry tonight, roller coaster of emotions is overwhelming, I feel bipolar, like I am possessed. Wow!

Comments

• Nellasing
    Nellasing Member Posts: 528 Member
    I didn't notice red spots....

that doesn't mean they weren't there.... lol  my skin did get dry.  I use essential oils and some good ole etra virgin cold pressed olive oil- it doesn't leave me feeling oily and my skin is nice and soft.  Don't neglect your feet ;)  they need rubbing and attention too.  It helped me to keep track of how the neuropathy was progressing. 

Yes, the emotional roller coaster is a lot isn't it?!  It is a lot to take in and you add the steriods and drugs to the mix and it kind of rocks your world.  Know that it's normal.  You will find your way little by little as you go along.  In the meantime we are here for you.  It usually took me about 2 weeks before I started to feel more like myself and everything to calm down- yup, right before the next treatment ;)  Hang in there- your good days are coming!

(((HUGS)))

• MAbound
    MAbound Member Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited October 2016 #3
    Call Dr.

Do those spots itch that you're scratching them? What you are describing sure sounds like you may be having an allergic reaction. You definitely want to tell your doctor or chemo nurses about it as it could get more severe the next time you are exposed to whatever is causing it, including your chemo drugs. Another possibility to consider might be Shingles, although the rash would be more likely following nerve pathways.

I had a couple of bloody noses during chemo, too. With the colder weather upon us and heating your home you may need to up the humidity you currently have in your house to help control that. Let your Dr. or  chemo nurses know about that too in case they can give you any other suggestions about it. Your body is going through a lot right now, so it is important not to wait and let little issues become big ones. 

• DrienneB
    DrienneB Member Posts: 182

Usually the first day or two after chemo I had a red blotchy face. I don't think I noticed spots anywhere else. MAbound is right that you should be sure to talk about it with your care team.Applause over here for any moments of fun and gusto you can manage during these weeks of treatment!

-j

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    edited October 2016 #5
    I had a rash on my head

I had a rash on my head during chemo. Had to use an antibiotic ointment on it. I also go that firey red to purple on my cheeks about day 2.

If you haven't read 'Ladies going through chemo' .... It is a great thread where several documented their side effects during chemo last year.

I hope your good days come up soon!

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• janaes
    janaes Member Posts: 799 Member
    Your not alone.  I felt like

Your not alone.  I felt like i was bipolar too.  Chemo just puts a person on a rollar coaster ride for sure.  As i am finished with chemo now and four weeks out i can see myself less and less on that ride.  It just reminds me how hard it was. You are doing such a great job and am proud of you for your hard work.  Glad you got to shave your head especially on your terms.  Doing what feels good for you is great.

Hugs, Janae

• Nellasing
    janaes said:

Your not alone.  I felt like

Your not alone.  I felt like i was bipolar too.  Chemo just puts a person on a rollar coaster ride for sure.  As i am finished with chemo now and four weeks out i can see myself less and less on that ride.  It just reminds me how hard it was. You are doing such a great job and am proud of you for your hard work.  Glad you got to shave your head especially on your terms.  Doing what feels good for you is great.

Hugs, Janae

LMBO!!!

It wasn't til I read your response that I understood - thought I'd tell on myself so you all can laugh along- when she said she "got buzzed" I thought she'd drank or smoked something ;) I figured - ok- now as I read your comment back I realize she was talking about shaving her head!!!!  THAT is making me howl.... my hubby is quite alarmed at what on earth is going on with me..... SO FUNNY :p    Hope you all get a chuckle too (((HUGS)))

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member
    edited October 2016 #8
    Nellasing said:

LMBO!!!

It wasn't til I read your response that I understood - thought I'd tell on myself so you all can laugh along- when she said she "got buzzed" I thought she'd drank or smoked something ;) I figured - ok- now as I read your comment back I realize she was talking about shaving her head!!!!  THAT is making me howl.... my hubby is quite alarmed at what on earth is going on with me..... SO FUNNY :p    Hope you all get a chuckle too (((HUGS)))

Me too,  Glad you straighten

Me too,  Glad you straighten that out for me.  You really aren't supposed to,do,the,other while.you are on Chemo..  I am kind of slow on the uptake sometimes.  once a lady at church told me her husband had fallen off the wagon, and I thought he had actually fallen off a wagon.

Lou Ann

• Editgrl
    Editgrl Member Posts: 903 Member
    Nellasing said:

LMBO!!!

Nellasing

I thought the same thing, too, when I read it the first time.  Guess where our minds are at lol!

• Scotgirl
    Scotgirl Member Posts: 31
    edited October 2016 #10

I Want to thank everyone for their responses to my "red spots" question. I did put a call into my chemo doctor and may be seeing the doctor's nurse on Tuesday since I will be at the treatment center for my first radiation so they can assess the spots. It happens that the spots have increased in quantity since this past Friday on the backs of my hands, forearms, lower front legs, and now one on my cheek, ugh! and they are also itchy. From the research I did over the weekend, it could very well be an allergic reaction to the Carbo/Taxol. The other possibility is thrombocytopenia which is low platelets. Platelets are cells that stop bleeding by helping the blood clot. These cells are made in the bone marrow. This can cause reddish, purplish spots. The lesser of these two evils I suppose would be an allergic reaction, not sure, but my #2 chemo is week from this Tuesday and I continue to experience one side affect after another. Audiologist/ENT is tomorrow for the ear discomfort from #1 chemo. I fear chemo #2 for more than a few reasons, the bone and nerve pain that I experienced and also fear if my white cell count has dropped I will be looking at a Neulasta (time released) shot which I already decided won't be my choice. Neulasta is notorious for causing extreme bone pain with a real possibility of rupturing the spleen. I will be asking my doctor for Neupagen which can be given daily until the white cell count has been increased which can be checked after first two shots minimizing the potential bone pain. I may also ask for a modification in my treatment approach. I need to have my doctors listen to me as a whole person and recognize that the protocol originally prescribed for me just because of the type of cancer cell may not be suitable for me. 

• Kvdyson
    Kvdyson Member Posts: 789
    edited October 2016 #11
    Scotgirl, sound like you've

Scotgirl, sound like you've done your homework. Hopefully your doctors will work with you so that you can continue treatment with no more negative side effects. Please keep us updated. Kim

• Scotgirl
    Update after chemo #2 - feeling utterly defeated

I am feeling rather hopeless tonight after having had my #2 chemo this past Tuesday. I was neutropenic 2 weeks before #2 chemo but my ANC did increase from 1 - 4, so that I was able to have #2 chemo but I am now on the grid for possibly bone stimulator which in light of the fact that I got extreme bone pain with the Carbo/Taxel I am scared for #3. I also experienced even more new side affects with #2. Strange I have sore skin from my face/skull, down arms, rib cage, sternum, legs, etc. Feel bruised if I gently run my fingers over my skin, not muscle or bone like last time. Some bone pain and nerve sparks that hit randomly and with intensity. My teeth still ache, again my left ear is achy and stuffy (have a #2 appt with audiologist to see if chemo #2 caused earring loss), also sore throat. Plus I now have neuropathy in the tip of my index fingers and bottom of my feet slightly. skin is also not surviving to well, red rashy dots now peeling. I don't know when to call "uncle". I now see myself as a sensitive patient and maybe the designed treatment with the Carbo/Taxel is just to toxic for me. It seems like the doctors are more interested in completing the protocol for my cancer than taking a step back and looking at me as a whole person. Constipation nearly did me in tonight and I now have corner mouth sores which I have been so, so careful to avoid because of my low  cell count. Maybe a modification in my chemo protocol or something, I don't how much longer I should forge on.  I'm tough but this physical breakdown that continues to happpen each time is almost too much. I was wondering if perhaps anyone had some words of guidance. I am almost ready to give up on the chemo. Anything other perspectives would be appreciated. I'm exhausted . . .  

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member
    Scotgirl said:

Update after chemo #2 - feeling utterly defeated

I am feeling rather hopeless tonight after having had my #2 chemo this past Tuesday. I was neutropenic 2 weeks before #2 chemo but my ANC did increase from 1 - 4, so that I was able to have #2 chemo but I am now on the grid for possibly bone stimulator which in light of the fact that I got extreme bone pain with the Carbo/Taxel I am scared for #3. I also experienced even more new side affects with #2. Strange I have sore skin from my face/skull, down arms, rib cage, sternum, legs, etc. Feel bruised if I gently run my fingers over my skin, not muscle or bone like last time. Some bone pain and nerve sparks that hit randomly and with intensity. My teeth still ache, again my left ear is achy and stuffy (have a #2 appt with audiologist to see if chemo #2 caused earring loss), also sore throat. Plus I now have neuropathy in the tip of my index fingers and bottom of my feet slightly. skin is also not surviving to well, red rashy dots now peeling. I don't know when to call "uncle". I now see myself as a sensitive patient and maybe the designed treatment with the Carbo/Taxel is just to toxic for me. It seems like the doctors are more interested in completing the protocol for my cancer than taking a step back and looking at me as a whole person. Constipation nearly did me in tonight and I now have corner mouth sores which I have been so, so careful to avoid because of my low  cell count. Maybe a modification in my chemo protocol or something, I don't how much longer I should forge on.  I'm tough but this physical breakdown that continues to happpen each time is almost too much. I was wondering if perhaps anyone had some words of guidance. I am almost ready to give up on the chemo. Anything other perspectives would be appreciated. I'm exhausted . . .  

So sorry

So sorry that you are having to go through this.  I had the Neulasta shot after each Taxol/carbo infusion so my white cells and neutrophils stayed within the low normal range.  I had a lot of problems with my platelets and red blood cells though. My doctor reduced the dosage of both and lengthen the time between indusions and that helped somewhat.  It was supposed to help with the neuropathy too.  I was given ice booties and I could have had ice mittens also during the Taxol infusion to help with neuropath.   There are things that can be done to help.  I was also given Benedril and Decadron to help.with allergic reactions with the,pre meds that they gave me.  It helped me with rashes.  I use Biotene as a mouth wash I that keeps my mouth moist enough that I haven't had any mouth sores.  My dentist recommended it.  There are other medications that can be,prescribed to help with Sores.  You should not have to suffer like,you are.  Keep talking to your doctor and,nurses.  They really should be listening to you.  I know they say you shouldn't change,horses in kid stream, but I bet you could if they won't listen to you.

Hugs and prayers, Lou Ann

• MAbound
    MAbound Member Posts: 1,168 Member
    Agree

That just doesn't seem right if your doctors are just pushing you through chemo without making any adjustments to your treatments when you are having all of these serious issues come up. I agree with Lou Ann. Time to get some other opinions and even switch oncologists if it comes down to that. Chemo's not easy, but what you're experiencing seems a bit alarming and it's surprising that your doctor isn't making any adjustments to deal it. I'd question that and get some other input. 

• bluehyacinth
    bluehyacinth Member Posts: 52 Member
    I had a simiar rash while on

I had a simiar rash while on chemo and it spread. Nothuing really helped and now more than 6 months later I still get an itchy rash where the original rash started. I was on an antiviral for a few days, but that did not help so I just put up with it. I hope you feel better. Mine was not an allergic reaction just an "unspecified" rash probably due to low everything and all the toxic chemicals infused.

• Nellasing
    edited November 2016 #16
    That sounds familiar and awful

So SORRY to hear that you are having those side effects!!!  My skin used to ache like I was coming down with the flu- it would be so tender to touch.  That only lasted a few days- like they said the worst (nadir) between days 5-8.   I became neutropenic before my 3rd treatment- they had to give me neupogen and send me home til the following Wed. and after that I had to have the neulasta after each treatment.  My feet by the last few treatments were really getting uncomfortable- my Dr. instructed them to run the drip slower and to reduce the taxol by 25% which they did for the last 2.  I didn't get a rash during but I have a weird rash on my left foot now.  Little red dots under the skin and parts of it do itch.  My teeth also ached and now when I get a long hot flash (ugh those things- my head sweats!) anyway, my teeth or gums feel like they are throbbing.  It only lasts a little while and it goes away but it has happened more than once.  I didn't have the hearing thing- although I was more sensitive to sound- what it did to me is make my vision blurry- it tends to come and go.  I am waiting a bit to see if it clears up before I see the eye Dr.

I agree with everyone- do keep talking to the Dr., the PA, the chemo nurses- anyone who will listen and perhaps armed with the info you get here they might hit on something to keep you more comfortable or a change that will help.

You are in our prayers  (((HUGS)))  <3<3

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    edited November 2016 #17
    I'm so sorry you're having

I'm so sorry you're having all these bad side effects.  I made it through three chemos and called it quits.  My hands, feet and the left side of my face which were all a combination of numb and tingley, peeled off in sheets.  My nose bled all the time and I never had had a nose bleed my entire life.  I had so many horrible side effects - even a slight stroke - but never once did my oncologist suggest we change anything, reduce dosage, wait a week, etc.  

My GP said his job was to kill the cancer; her job was to save ME.  Some people just cannot tolerate chemotherapy.  My last chemo was December 8, 2015 and TODAY while getting out of the car, stepped on my still numb left foot and fell into the door wacking my left elbow and landing on my left knee which I am icing right now.  Luckily I see my GP tomorrow morning.  

I agree with the other ladies - get a second opinion.  I am sure glad I did or I probably wouldn't be on this earth anymore.

Love,

Eldri

• Scotgirl
    edited November 2016 #18
    Thank you everyone, so kind to take the time with your responses

i am blown away by everyone on this discussion board. You all make me feel like I am not crazy for thinking there must be some modification to my course of treatment that can be implemented. Unfortunately, when my chemo oncologist office called me back today regarding the new sympthoms from chemo 2, I just got more of the same talk. someone subbing for my doctor's head chemo nurse proceeded to tell me my neuropathy might not be as bad as I think it is even after I suggested using the number scale, 10 being I need a walker or a cane to be mobile. I put the peripheral neuropathy at a 5/6 and this is only #2 treatment of 6. I know that it will be cumulative and is not reversible. I felt as if he wasn't listening to me and treating me as an individual. Isn't my perception my reality. I had also requested a new consult with my oncologist before #3 treatment on Nov 29, so we can discuss possible changes. The conversation was very upsetting, my husband had to take the phone and again requested a consult with my doctor and before hanging up he said to my husband "we are working on it" and hung up. This is not what I was expecting from Memorial Sloan Kettering, Basking Ridge, NJ satellite treatment center after surgery in Manhattan, NYC, loved my surgeon, expectations were so high but they have plummeted. Waiting to hear from my doctor for the appointment I requested. Thanks again ladies, your experiences and support are invaluable in helping me get to the other side!

• janaes
    janaes Member Posts: 799 Member
    edited November 2016 #19
    I am so sorry your medial

I am so sorry your medial team isnt working with you.  Ive had some problems with my medical oncogist too.  Fortunatly he worked with me on neropathy.  Mine was getting worse and worse after each treatment and just before my 4th chemo my doctor suggested that i change meds to toxatere (sp).  I think i still got some neropathy after the change for the next 3 treatments but i do still think it turned out better than not changing.  My problem was i started getting a back ache during chemo treatments and told him at each visit and he did nothing.  He just listened and didnt say a word.  It wasnt until i went to my GP that i finally got someone to give me a MRI.    Oh by the way you are not crazy.  This group helped me so much to help me not feel crazy.  This stuff is just hard and the people who have gone through it just get it!!   I hope you get in to have your insultation with your doctor.

Hugs Janae

• Kvdyson
    Kvdyson Member Posts: 789
    Scotgirl, this is your life

Scotgirl, this is your life and your treatment. If you feel like you are being subjected to bad treatment then you should seek out a second opinion at another cancer center or go above this doctor's head. Just because it is MSK does not mean they don't have bad doctors there. You deserve to be treated better and to have your concerns acknowledged. If the treatment saves your life but leaves it in ruins then what exactly is the point. Hoping that it all works out for you. Kim

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    Oh, Scotgirl, I feel for you!

Oh, Scotgirl, I feel for you!  Even when I had to use a wheelchair because the neuropathy in my feet was so bad, my doctor wouldn't even talk to me or offer any changes.  You are lucky you have other options; I didn't.

Do not give up - get a second or third opinion!!  There are wonderful oncologists out there and a whole lot of stinkers - find a wonderful one!!

Love,

Eldri