Bracytherapy preperations

janaes
janaes Member Posts: 799 Member

I start brachytherapy in a week from tomarrow.  Wondering what i might need around the house to be ready for any after effects.  I am hoping i dont have any but i guess just in case.  All suggestions wil be helpful.  Thank you very much

Comments

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member
    I had no side effects from

I had no side effects from the brachytherpy.  Very short, took much longer to get dressed.  I was told to stay away from vitamins A, C, and E.  it was the easiest part of the whole treatment for me.  Hope it is for you also.

Hugs and prayers, Lou Ann

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    edited October 2016 #3
    Same for me Janae. Brachy was

Same for me Janae. Brachy was very easy on me. I had slight fatigue and that is it. I finished my Brachy 1/28/16 and have been steady on doing the dialator or other 2 Xs per week. So far, so good. No issues.

I hope you tolerate it the same.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• janaes
    janaes Member Posts: 799 Member
    edited October 2016 #4
    I really hope mine is easy

I really hope mine is easy too.  It took so much preperation for chemo treatments. my life really did revolve around those treatments because there were those days i just couldnt do any thing. 

My nurse mentioned some jel or something (now i cant remember what it was) that i might need for vaginal dryiness.( I think).  Did any one have to deal with that?  Maybe since its not like chemo I will beable to get the things I need when and if the symptoms arive.   It sure would save me a lot a money. 

Thanks for your comments.

Janae 

• Editgrl
    Editgrl Member Posts: 903 Member
    Some women get bladder

Some women get bladder irritation.  AZO works for that.  Just make sure that's what it is and not a UTI.

In my case, I did get a UTI.

• Soup52
    Soup52 Member Posts: 908 Member
    Yes, I had to be checked for

Yes, I had to be checked for a uti but it didn't turn out to be one. The AZO was a help though. I'm not one who had a positive brachy experience. It was painful for me and my radiology oncologist had a bad bedside manner which didn't help. But cheers I just found he has been shipped off to another state. Apparently I wasn't the only one who found him objectionable. But don't listen to me. Best of luck! I'm sure you'll be fine.

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    edited October 2016 #7
    http://csn.cancer.org/node/296985

Janae, I hope you have time to read this thread. It is about radiation and several of our journey entries.

I think it will help you understand what you will be doing.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• Beverly30
    Beverly30 Member Posts: 18

http://csn.cancer.org/node/296985

Janae, I hope you have time to read this thread. It is about radiation and several of our journey entries.

I think it will help you understand what you will be doing.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

HI,

HI,

Can you tell me where I might find information on when not to go with vaginal brachytherapy ?  My cancer was level 1b. I'mean 62 and not sure I want to do it. I haven't spoken with a radiologist yet. I'm still healing from complete hysterectomy .  

• MAbound
    MAbound Member Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited November 2016 #9
    Beverly30 said:

HI,

HI,

Can you tell me where I might find information on when not to go with vaginal brachytherapy ?  My cancer was level 1b. I'mean 62 and not sure I want to do it. I haven't spoken with a radiologist yet. I'm still healing from complete hysterectomy .  

Final Pathology yet?

Have you had your post-op appointment yet and recieved your final staging based on the pathology reports? My stage kept changing till it went to labs at 3 different institutions. Final staging and where your cancer started is going to influence your level of risk for recurrence and what kind of post-op treatment will be recommended. In any case, you may find this article helpful. I posted it in the previous thread just a few minutes after your last post there, but you probably haven't seen it yet.

file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/Cancer_Network_-_The_Value_of_Pelvic_Radiation_Therapy_After_Hysterectomy_for_Early_Endometrial_Cancer_-_2014-07-08.pdf