Follow Up on my Recurrence

Rocquie
Rocquie Member Posts: 868 Member

Hello friends,

I had a CT scan late last week and saw my hematologist/oncologist yesterday. Bottom line: my disease is stable and no treatment is needed at this time. I don't need to see the doctor again for six months (unless something changes). So, Yay!

In April, I had 3 minimally enlarged lymph nodes in my abdomen which doctor thought indicated my follicular lymphoma was relapsing, which it has a nasty little habit of doing. My newest report indicates that one of the nodes is the same, one has shrunk by half, and the other is nearly imperceptible. Doctor said it may not even be lymphoma but rather swollen nodes for another reason. Because of their location and the fact that I am asymptomatic, he doesn't think any further testing is clinically advisible at this time and I agree. 

The downside to my CT scan shows some scarring in my lungs, I have had some shortness of breath, though I have tried to ignore it. I have recently had some heart tests done and all are normal. He has referred me to a pulmonologist and I will update after that appointment.

Doctor did tell me that chemo could cause lung damage. He mentioned that he has another patient who had the same chemo as me and is now on oxygen all the time. Yikes. I asked the doctor what drugs could cause this. He said Rituxan can cause it, Cytoxin can cause it, and Neulasta can cause it!  News to me. 

Thank you for all the prayers and I hope everyone is feeling blessed right in this moment.

Hugs to all,

Rocquie

Comments

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,803 Member
    edited September 2016 #2
    Super

Roc,

I'm delighted regarding the good news.  It has to be a relief.

If you have followed my comments regrading lung impairment over the last two years or so, you know what I have shared already. I have fought severe shortmess of breath since I began chemo in 2009.  For others who may be new, I'll do a thumbnail recap:  Bleomycin is the worst chemo regarding lung damage, but I do not think you received it (it is not in R-CHOP or EPOCH).  Rituxan has little association with long-term lung harm, so I would very much doubt a Rituxan causality.

Adriamycin (a drug in CHOP, EPOCH, and many other combinations -- one of the most common chemos in use) is strongly associated with shortness of breath, but due to heart damage, not the lungs. As you have apparantly had an Ejection Fraction test for heart damage, that would not be the cause (Ejection Fraction is tested via ultrasound ordianrily).  You specified that you had "recently had some heart tests." If you did not specifically have an ejection fraction calculation done, I would request one. It is the definitive determination for heart function.  It does NOT involve a stress test, etc.  But be aware: A "perfect" score of ejection fraction is 65%. The tech said I had "about 65%", and I thought that I was doomed !

I just spent three years with a pulmonologist, who discovered that I had developed fibrosis in the base of both lungs (loss of about 20% of both), undeterminable causality, but he believes it was from reflux, not chemo.  Fibrosis is incurable and essentially untreatable, except for the symptoms.  " Scarring" of lung tissue is the same thing as "fibrosis.". Fibrotic tissue becomes tough, and can no longer exchange gasses in and out of the blood.

My pulmonologist said there was no way to isolate the causality in my case.  He also discovered that I have non-allergic asthma, and an inhaler has had me breathing relatively normally since I began it (Symbicort, with a Proair emergency backup).

I hope that in your case the causality is more readily identifiable and treatable/curable.  But a pulmonologist is the obvious best next stop on your journey.  I wish I had been sent to one years earlier.   

I'm glad your journey is a journey now promising new hope, in the sense that the lymphoma scare seems to have passed for now, and hopefully forever,

max

• Jeff148
    Jeff148 Member Posts: 184
    Great News..Thanks

That is an answer to prayer!!! I'm sooooo glad to hear it. I can't add anything to the Master's (Max) analysis. Max you are a gift to us...Thanks

• PeprmntPat55
    PeprmntPat55 Member Posts: 70 Member
    edited September 2016 #4
    Rocquie that is great news!

Rocquie that is great news!  So happy to hear it and what an encouragement to others.  

Im feeling blessed just hearing your good news :-)

• illead
    illead Member Posts: 884 Member
    edited September 2016 #5
    Great news

Hi Roquie.

Sorry I am late in writing.  I am so happy to hear your good news, what a relief that is for us.  Don't think you need that on your plate right now.  Hoping for a good report from the pulmonologist.

Thinking of you (always).

Becky

• paella
    paella Member Posts: 81
    edited September 2016 #6
    Yep, good news indeed!

So glad to hear the postive news, Rocque...have you seen the pulmonologist?

Best, Paella

• Rocquie

Super

Roc,

I'm delighted regarding the good news.  It has to be a relief.

If you have followed my comments regrading lung impairment over the last two years or so, you know what I have shared already. I have fought severe shortmess of breath since I began chemo in 2009.  For others who may be new, I'll do a thumbnail recap:  Bleomycin is the worst chemo regarding lung damage, but I do not think you received it (it is not in R-CHOP or EPOCH).  Rituxan has little association with long-term lung harm, so I would very much doubt a Rituxan causality.

Adriamycin (a drug in CHOP, EPOCH, and many other combinations -- one of the most common chemos in use) is strongly associated with shortness of breath, but due to heart damage, not the lungs. As you have apparantly had an Ejection Fraction test for heart damage, that would not be the cause (Ejection Fraction is tested via ultrasound ordianrily).  You specified that you had "recently had some heart tests." If you did not specifically have an ejection fraction calculation done, I would request one. It is the definitive determination for heart function.  It does NOT involve a stress test, etc.  But be aware: A "perfect" score of ejection fraction is 65%. The tech said I had "about 65%", and I thought that I was doomed !

I just spent three years with a pulmonologist, who discovered that I had developed fibrosis in the base of both lungs (loss of about 20% of both), undeterminable causality, but he believes it was from reflux, not chemo.  Fibrosis is incurable and essentially untreatable, except for the symptoms.  " Scarring" of lung tissue is the same thing as "fibrosis.". Fibrotic tissue becomes tough, and can no longer exchange gasses in and out of the blood.

My pulmonologist said there was no way to isolate the causality in my case.  He also discovered that I have non-allergic asthma, and an inhaler has had me breathing relatively normally since I began it (Symbicort, with a Proair emergency backup).

I hope that in your case the causality is more readily identifiable and treatable/curable.  But a pulmonologist is the obvious best next stop on your journey.  I wish I had been sent to one years earlier.   

I'm glad your journey is a journey now promising new hope, in the sense that the lymphoma scare seems to have passed for now, and hopefully forever,

max

Lungs

Hi Max, yes I have followed your problems with your shortness of breath. I'm happy that your pulmologist has you breathing better these days. Hopefully, mine will too.

Thanks for your reply,

Rocquie

• Rocquie
    Jeff148 said:

Great News..Thanks

That is an answer to prayer!!! I'm sooooo glad to hear it. I can't add anything to the Master's (Max) analysis. Max you are a gift to us...Thanks

Jeff

As always, thanks for your prayers and best wishes!

Rocquie

• Rocquie

Rocquie that is great news!

Rocquie that is great news!  So happy to hear it and what an encouragement to others.  

Im feeling blessed just hearing your good news :-)

PP55

In the time I have been a member of this forum, I have been encouraged by so many others. It is what keeps me coming around. And I pray that I can encourage others.

Rocquie

• Rocquie
    illead said:

Great news

Hi Roquie.

Sorry I am late in writing.  I am so happy to hear your good news, what a relief that is for us.  Don't think you need that on your plate right now.  Hoping for a good report from the pulmonologist.

Thinking of you (always).

Becky

Becky (and Bill, of course)

I think of you often as well. It is always good to hear from you and I keep "assuming" that all is well with Bill's Mantle Cell?  

Hugs,

Rocquie

• Rocquie
    Paella

I have not seen the pulmologist yet. Still waiting for appointment. . .

And how are YOU? I hope your strength is returning from your SCT. 

Cheers,

Rocquie

• paella
    paella Member Posts: 81
    edited September 2016 #12
    To Roc

Doing good (some days better than others)- more later.  We're just leaving to take my husband for his colonoscopy.  Since he had prostate cancer back in '10 and was treated at City of Hope - that's where we're going for the colonoscopy.  Spending tonight at a motel near the hospital to avoid his having to be a passenger for 2 hours after having the prep-drink tomorrow at 5 AM.  Back late tomorrow.  Will try to write a bit by this coming weekend.

hugz -  Paella

• Rocquie
    paella said:

To Roc

Doing good (some days better than others)- more later.  We're just leaving to take my husband for his colonoscopy.  Since he had prostate cancer back in '10 and was treated at City of Hope - that's where we're going for the colonoscopy.  Spending tonight at a motel near the hospital to avoid his having to be a passenger for 2 hours after having the prep-drink tomorrow at 5 AM.  Back late tomorrow.  Will try to write a bit by this coming weekend.

hugz -  Paella

Prep

Good plan making the trip early. I don't think it could be done any other way. :-}  I look forward to hearing from you again. . .

Hugs,

Rocquie

• illead
    Hi again

Thanks for your kind words Roquie.  Bill had his 6 mo CT scan today and will see the doc on Tues.  Will let you know what we find out but we're not expecting any surprises.  He is well and feeling good except for some side effects of the "miracle drug", mostly tired and stomach being upset.  Funny thing he can eat spicy and it seems to help.  We have a plethora of Mexican and Thai restaurants here, and the people, so no problem ; )

Hugs back, Becky

• lindary
    lindary Member Posts: 711 Member
    I am glad the reports have

I am glad the reports have come back with good news. It seems in this club even things that others would consider bad news (like shortness of breath) is good news for us. 

My next scans will be the begining of Nov. So I am going through the twitches & aches wondering if it is is back. I also wonder what kind of fall out I will encounter as the result of the treatment. I guess that is why I have occupied myself so much with work and family activites. My husband gets annoyed that I have had cookouts with our kids at least once a month.  It keeps my mind on more positive things. 

• Kaniksu
    Kaniksu Member Posts: 54
    edited September 2016 #16
    Thanks for the update

we choose to look for and appreciate the good now don't we?..Stable, what a blessing for you.. great news to hear.

• illead
    edited September 2016 #17
    good report

Hi Roquie,    

Just wanted you to know that Bill's CT was clear.  We are very thankful of course.  The doc prescribed a new med for his stomach side effect issue and it seems to be doing the trick.  We all just keep on keepin on.

Luv, Becky

• abcma
    abcma Member Posts: 24
    illead said:

good report

Hi Roquie,    

Just wanted you to know that Bill's CT was clear.  We are very thankful of course.  The doc prescribed a new med for his stomach side effect issue and it seems to be doing the trick.  We all just keep on keepin on.

Luv, Becky

I'm so glad that all is well!

I'm so glad that all is well!....Bev

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,803 Member
    edited September 2016 #19
    illead said:

good report

Hi Roquie,    

Luv, Becky

Bill

Delighted to hear it, Becky.  For newbies who may not know, Bill is a first-line and relapse survivor of Mantle Cell, who declined stem cell transplantation for newer, less toxic drugs that have high success against MCL.  Wonderful to follow.  Becky has consulted with the world's leaders in MCL oncology.

max

• illead
    Thanks Max

I too am so sorry about your cousin, it is very sad. You are so right though about the hope we have with lymphoma.  As you know when Bill was first diagnosed in 2011, it was pretty much a death sentence after relapse.  Now they are talking about a cure for MCL in 10 years or less.  So all of us patients and caregivers have a lot to be thankful for.  One of the foremost are the passionate doctors and researchers, and for each of us, we give each other strength.

Best wishes always,

Becky & Bill

• Rocquie
    Becky

Hi Becky,

Thanks for the update on Bill. I'm so happy to hear that he is doing so well. I hope the new stomach med does the trick.

Big hugs to both,

Rocquie