lung nodules

jojo's
jojo's Member Posts: 2

New at this.  Had a CT in March and they found nodules in both of my lungs 3mm - 8mm.  Follow up scan in June 72 days later the nodules had double in size with the 8mm staying the same.  Family Dr wants to wait 6 months and see if the nodules grow anymore??????  I know they are small but they doubled in 72 days. 

Comments

• funshine
    funshine Member Posts: 26
    edited September 2016 #2
    dont wait

Get an oncologist and another doctor. Would he wait? NO@! I dont want to scare you but dont think all doctors give you the correct advice. I made that mistake and now im stage IV when I could have been stage 1 or 2 if I would have questioned the doctors the first time. Get a second and 3rd opinion if your still not satisfied. I learned the hard way, dont make the same mistake

• Dusty51
    Dusty51 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2016 #3
    Definitely don't wait!

Definitely don't wait!  Fortunately my primary doc kept pushing for the next step.  It was first a "spot" on lung.  She then ordered a CT and it showed it was a 11mm nodule.  She then ordered a PET scan.  Even though that showed no activity she then ordered a bioposy.  The doc doing biopsy could get only one sample from nodule because it was pretty small and that sample came back negative.  Even though that came back negative she called me and said that she was going to the next step and send me to a thoracic surgeon to "make sure".  I went in to see him and he immediately said he was 99% sure it was cancer.  I was in surgery the next week, had my follow up just a few days ago and confirmed it was cancer!  Very low grade, very slow growing.  I am one of the lucky ones; I'm cancer free now but still need my follow up CTs every 6 months for two years and then one a year after that util the 5 year mark.  BUt if my primary care doc wouldn't have pushed for each step, who knows what would have happened.  I owe her a huge thank you.  DONE'T WAIT!!!!!!

• dennycee
    dennycee Member Posts: 857 Member
    Until a nodule has achieved 1

Until a nodule has achieved 1 cm (10 mm) It is too small to biopsy.  It is likely to yield a false negative.  As you may have noticed, the OP mentioned that the surgeon was not able to get an adequate sample when he biopsied the 11mm one.  There was not enough genetic material to test for modifications. 

• Sharon2424
    Sharon2424 Member Posts: 3
    4 mm nodule in lower left lung1 year

just got call from doc Regarding CT results..said had 4 mm nodule in lower left lung but need to wait 1 year for retest.  I understand that 4 mm is too small to biopsy and that not all are cancer.  Just want to know if anyone thinks waiting an entire year is ok????  Thanks...

• z
    z Member Posts: 1,414 Member
    edited March 2017 #6

4 mm nodule in lower left lung1 year

just got call from doc Regarding CT results..said had 4 mm nodule in lower left lung but need to wait 1 year for retest.  I understand that 4 mm is too small to biopsy and that not all are cancer.  Just want to know if anyone thinks waiting an entire year is ok????  Thanks...

Sharon

I had a 7mm and was rescanned in 3 months and it grew to 1.2 so had to come out.  Had a vats to removed lower right lobe.  Upon follow up scan found a 4 mm nodule in left lung and rescanned in 3 months and it was gone.  1 year is to long to wait.  I would say 3 or 4 months would be good.  I had a prior cancer so maybe thats why they scanned after 3 months.  I had the vats on 9-23-2010 and so far so good.  BTW, I was a 35 year smoker and quit with my 1st cancer in 2009.  I wish you well and keep us updated.  Lori

• Sharon2424
    edited March 2017 #7
    Thank u Z

i am glad to hear u r ok.  I am a bit worried.  I smoked over 35 yrs too...now on e-cigs w occasional real cig.  My doc seemed to think needed to wait....should I call her and Insist on at least 6 min rescan.  My husband is very disabled and needs me.  So if is cancer need to cure ASAP.

Maybe she is waiting due to size and no other respratory problems.  only spoke to nurse not doc.

• z
    z Member Posts: 1,414 Member

Thank u Z

i am glad to hear u r ok.  I am a bit worried.  I smoked over 35 yrs too...now on e-cigs w occasional real cig.  My doc seemed to think needed to wait....should I call her and Insist on at least 6 min rescan.  My husband is very disabled and needs me.  So if is cancer need to cure ASAP.

Maybe she is waiting due to size and no other respratory problems.  only spoke to nurse not doc.

Sharon

Hello, we are fortunate to have found nodules early.  They can come and go, but to be safe I would want a scan in at least 4 months, and it could be gone.  I don't think the doctor would wait a year if it was their ct scan.  I would tell them just what you posted that you need to be here for your husband and want to stop any problems before they get out of hand.  I wish you well.  Lori

• Sharon2424
    edited March 2017 #9
    Thx again.

i will call my doctor and ask for a sooner scan and remind her of my situation and see what she says.  It would ease my mind to know.  Also relieve some stress regarding my husbands care.  I dont think I am gonna tell hubby at least not yet.

• Vinny C
    Vinny C Member Posts: 3
    Get a PET Scan and go see a

Get a PET Scan and go see a cancer Dr not a reg one.  Get a head of things