How to ask for a referral

emmybeth
emmybeth Member Posts: 6

My 37 year old brother was recently diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer (non-small cell). He is growing weaker every day and his oncologist is insisting on more tests. We've yet to begin treatment of any kind and are becoming highly frustrated and helpless.  I've consulted several physicians I work with and they have been very adamant about asking my brother's oncologist for a referral to MD Anderson. However, we are nervous about our approach in the request for a referral. We've been told that some physicians may take offense to the request and deny.  Can anyone share an effective approach in obtaining this referral so we are not denied the opportunity of clinical trials, second opinions, etc.. We are truly desperate. I reside in Texas, my brother in Ohio. I'm corresponding with everyone via e-mail, text, phone. Any and ALL feedback would be so greatly appreciated. Time is of the essence. Thank you, Emily

Comments

• emmybeth
    Correction.....Initial

Correction.....Initial diagnosis by CT was stage IV lung, however, after bronchoscopy and pathology, it is stage 3B (non-small cell)

• Allyson Frame
    Allyson Frame Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2016 #3
    Hi Emmy

Check your private messages.

• eclc
    eclc Member Posts: 18
    edited August 2016 #4

Emily,

Check out the MD Anderson web page.  There's a link for requesting an appointment.  I don't know that you need a referral to get a second opinion.  If your brother's insurance requires a referral for a second opinion, it could just come from his GP.

I'm seeing Dr. Reza Mehran at MD Anderson and highly recommend him.  MD Anderson was actually my FOURTH opinion and I decided to go with them.  Other opinions were Johns Hopkins, Memorial Sloan Kettering and Walter Reed.  Rergarding offending your current Oncologist, this I can guarantee...If anything happens to your brother, HE will have another patient....YOU will not have another brother.  If you're not happy with your current medical team...find another. 

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have...

pat

• emmybeth
    eclc said:

Emily,

Check out the MD Anderson web page.  There's a link for requesting an appointment.  I don't know that you need a referral to get a second opinion.  If your brother's insurance requires a referral for a second opinion, it could just come from his GP.

I'm seeing Dr. Reza Mehran at MD Anderson and highly recommend him.  MD Anderson was actually my FOURTH opinion and I decided to go with them.  Other opinions were Johns Hopkins, Memorial Sloan Kettering and Walter Reed.  Rergarding offending your current Oncologist, this I can guarantee...If anything happens to your brother, HE will have another patient....YOU will not have another brother.  If you're not happy with your current medical team...find another. 

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have...

pat

Thank you Pat! Yes, I

Thank you Pat! Yes, I completely agree. I only ask because time is of the essence and I'd like to start whatever treatment we can as soon as possible.  The thought of wasting more time on finding a new Oncologist to approve this referral is discouraging, yet if necessary, we will. We find out tomorrow if he will be open to MD or not.  For some reason, the thought of MD Andersong and clinical trials is the hope I'm desperately grasping on to at this point. ((sigh, sigh, sigh))   

• emmybeth
    edited August 2016 #6
    Moving assistance

I've been researching "moving assistance for cancer patients" and am coming up empty handed. I reside in TX, my brother in OH. He is getting weaker by the day and packing up his apartment (as small as it may be) has become a challenging feat. I'm finding many other programs such as cleaning, wigs, financial, but nothing on moving.  He will be renting one more month, then moving to my family's farm (literally 1 mile away). Does anyone know of a local moving company in the 44270 zipcode that is willing to assist in this transition?? Or even a program which supports this? He has not stayed in his apartment since date of onset due to fear of being alone.  Any and ALL feedback would be so greatly appreciated. We have limited resources. Our family consists of seniors capable of getting my brother to his appointments, but not physically capable of taking on a move. Thank you in advance!!!!

• Allyson Frame
    edited August 2016 #7
    Hi Emmy

The Cleveland Clinic is close to your zip code also. Have you tried them for a second opinion? Stark Community Services may be able to help (I think that zip code is Stark County): Community Services of Stark County, Inc. (330) 455-0374; United Way: United Way of Central Stark County (330) 455-4636; Not sure if he is a Veteran or not, but here is Veterans Service Commission of Stark County, (330) 438-0457 110 Central Plaza S, Canton. Hope this helps! Ally

• emmybeth
    edited September 2016 #8

Hi Emmy

The Cleveland Clinic is close to your zip code also. Have you tried them for a second opinion? Stark Community Services may be able to help (I think that zip code is Stark County): Community Services of Stark County, Inc. (330) 455-0374; United Way: United Way of Central Stark County (330) 455-4636; Not sure if he is a Veteran or not, but here is Veterans Service Commission of Stark County, (330) 438-0457 110 Central Plaza S, Canton. Hope this helps! Ally

Got him in with Taussig

Got him in with Taussig Cancer Institute! Thank you Allyson!

• Allyson Frame
    emmybeth said:

Got him in with Taussig

Got him in with Taussig Cancer Institute! Thank you Allyson!

I'm so glad! Let us know how

I'm so glad! Let us know how it goes!!

• eclc
    eclc Member Posts: 18
    Any News?

Hi Emily,

Any news on your brother?  Is Taussig taking action?  Has he started chemo yet?

Hoping things are moving along for you now.

pat