Staging (John?) Others Am I Stage IV?

NewHere
NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member

Really does not make a difference with the stats and the rest.  But I know there was discussion about whether stages change or how it is called.  I recall John having some information, that it is your initial stage with Mets to elsewhere.  So in other words, I was diagnosed as IIIC with spots too small to know for sure in the lungs.  

So one of the spots appear to actually have been a met that was there at the time of the initial surgery.  Does that mean I am Stage IV or Stage III C with Mets to the lungs?  (Pending the surgery and confirmation of course that it is colon in my lung.)

Like I said, I am not going to get bogged down with the stats and the rest, but for some reason I find this interesting.  That if it was a bit bigger and could be read as a tumor at the time I would have been IV.   I need to find better hobbies ;)

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    edited August 2016 #2
    Stage IV

I would say Stage IV.  

I know people and their Onc's differ on how they call a stage, but when my liver met (which was also present at diagnosis, but they thought it was a hemangiona) was diagnosed as a tumour, my Oncologist told me I was now a Stage IV. 

If someone asks what stage, I will tell them IV and then watch their shock at how wonderful I look Cool . Yeah, feed my ego. No, what I like is to give others a postitive outlook on Cancer and not that its just a death sentence. 

So, my friend. I am sorry that you are dealing with new/old mets, and just go with whatever feels good to you as far as staging. 

SUE

• NewHere
    Austin Powers Moment

I am stage One Billion... ;)

• funshine
    funshine Member Posts: 26
    NewHere said:

Austin Powers Moment

Austin moment

You made me laugh out loud with that one. Im an Austin powers fan and I have to tell you humor is the best medicine. I watch Austin powers all the time especially when I need to get myself out of a rut.

Part of recovery is having a lot of humor aroundWink

I would also say your a stage IV. Once it has moved onto other organs other than the origination organ its IV. Im a stage IVB because I have colon cancer met to liver and both lungs.

these sites are very helpful.

I wish you well with your journey and keep the humor...

• John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    Cancer staging......

Cancer staging......
    Since you asked me? You will find the correct answer on many of the cancer "dot org" websites. To simplify your quest, an easy site to maneuver is this one:

http://www.cancer.org/treatment/understandingyourdiagnosis/staging

To wit:
    "A cancer’s stage does not change
    An important point some people have trouble understanding is that the stage of a cancer is determined only when (or soon after) the cancer is diagnosed. This stage does not change over time, even if the cancer shrinks, grows, spreads, or comes back after treatment. The cancer is still referred to by the stage it was given when it was first found and diagnosed, although information about the current extent of the cancer is added (and of course, the treatment is adjusted as needed)."

My initial dx was 3c pending surgical opinion. After surgery, I was labeled stage 4. A stage 1 can have advanced metastis and will carry a label of "stage 1 with metastis". The original stage does not change.

I hope that ends the confusion?

Be well,

John

• NewHere
    edited August 2016 #6
    Thanks John

Yup, that is the general thing I recall you discussing.  It is interesting that this spot has been here since the beginning for me but it was too small to tell for sure.  If it was a bit bigger when this all started it may have made me Stage IV right from the get go (all the other things they have been watching seem not to have changed)   But even then until it comes out and they look at it under a scope, it could be another cancer and not a met of the colon cancer I guess.

I feel a bit healthier as a Stage IIIC in lieu of Stage IV Cool

• John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    NewHere said:

Thanks John

Yup, that is the general thing I recall you discussing.  It is interesting that this spot has been here since the beginning for me but it was too small to tell for sure.  If it was a bit bigger when this all started it may have made me Stage IV right from the get go (all the other things they have been watching seem not to have changed)   But even then until it comes out and they look at it under a scope, it could be another cancer and not a met of the colon cancer I guess.

I feel a bit healthier as a Stage IIIC in lieu of Stage IV Cool

"I feel a bit healthier as a Stage IIIC in lieu of Stage IV"

Haha... It's all in the mindset! If you can shake the fear factor you can live forever?

Listen, even the most positive leaning individuals die of cancer; it's nothing that you or I can control; I truly wish it was that easy.

But allowing fear to direct you isn't in your best interests either. You have a built-in survival instinct, call it intuition, or whatever you feel it is, but it's a built-in basic animal instinct that each of us were provided with to help us survive against all odds. We survive against all odds when we listen to that inner voice. It's there for a reason!

Animals, insects, plant life, and all living things are blessed with the ability to live against all odds. It's when we ignore the voice within, that we suffer the consequences of those that do not know us; of those that attempt to define what should keep us alive.

Trust thyself. Listen to that voice within and it will not fail you.

It takes courage and confidence, and it's there for a reason: Your survival.

Be well.

John

• tanstaafl
    tanstaafl Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    edited August 2016 #8
    information accrues

Changes in staging often reflect changes in information relevant to your intial diagnosis.   Oops we missed that met on the scan or a later biopsy show it wasn't benign.  In our case, people didn't realize or acknowledge that we had been treating off label at home since my wife's diagnosis and had radically changed the situation. So the earlier views dismissed officially accounting a CT imaged para-aortic lymph node cluster as a metastasis, as well as all the dead stuff in the pelvic areas adjacent to the primary cancer. A year later that para-aortic met was still there, much bigger and nastier when surgery made it official. 

Stage determination starts with TNM staging e.g. T3N1bM0. The TNM staging has some prefix provisions for information settings and treatment.   c - is for a clinical impression when they have a dx with a scope and a scan, p - is for patholoogy after surgery alone (without chemo, radiation yet), and y - for post treatments where yp is for the surgical pathology after chemo- or radiation treatment.  

• funshine
    funshine Member Posts: 26
    edited August 2016 #9
    John23 said:

Haha... It's all in the mindset! If you can shake the fear factor you can live forever?

Listen, even the most positive leaning individuals die of cancer; it's nothing that you or I can control; I truly wish it was that easy.

But allowing fear to direct you isn't in your best interests either. You have a built-in survival instinct, call it intuition, or whatever you feel it is, but it's a built-in basic animal instinct that each of us were provided with to help us survive against all odds. We survive against all odds when we listen to that inner voice. It's there for a reason!

Animals, insects, plant life, and all living things are blessed with the ability to live against all odds. It's when we ignore the voice within, that we suffer the consequences of those that do not know us; of those that attempt to define what should keep us alive.

Be well.

John

staging

Well said John23. Its just a label to fear, dont let it define you.

• traci43
    traci43 Member Posts: 773 Member
    edited August 2016 #10
    NewHere said:

Austin Powers Moment

OMG, Dr. Evil.

LOL

• NewHere
    edited August 2016 #11
    traci43 said:

OMG, Dr. Evil.

LOL

Well

I am not really Dr. Evil, just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night Cool

• NewHere
    John23 said:

Be well.

John

Keep On Rollin'

I have been pretty good about not getting bogged down in stages or all the rest.  Much rather keep on going as best as I can every day.  I have been fortunate in tolerating chemo well and considering "Stage IIIC" cancer, really in good health.  As I say, I wish everyone (if they have to get this) goes generally was well as I do.  Not to say that there are not down moments, but I try to shake those off quickly because the reality of all this can be a bummer ;)

That being said, looks like it is not a met, but a new primary one. Which is actually better than a met.  Go figure.