My mother has Glioblastoma Stage 4 Cancer

I am in desperate need of help and understanding. My mother was diagnosed October 2014 with stage 4 Glioblastoma Brain cancer. There were two tumors, one they removed part of, and another they tried to treat but looks as though now has doubled in size. She cannot drive, has memory lose, and some of her motor skills and sight are weakened. Beyond that, the most difficult part for me, is it has completely changed her behavior. She has had tanrums, spits out hateful things at times, belittles my father and my siblings, manipulates our words and our help... I am struggling to find the will to help while continuing to take the abuse. I don't know what to do. We were best friends before this, I know the brain cancer has something to do with the change, but it is so difficult and hurtful. Am I the only one having this experience? I feel like I am wrong for feeling this way while she is dying. I want to be there for her, but I also want to keep my sanity. 

Comments

• SASH
    SASH Member Posts: 421 Member
    Taking the abuse

I understand where you are coming from.  She isn't herself as the tumor is causing her to lash out.

My dad was diagnosed with Stage 4 Glioblastoma on Feb 1, 2015.  While he is normally ok with it, there are times that he lashes out at me and my mom.  This is more from frustration than anything because he now can't do everything he had done previousy.  We try and just let it go, but it isn't that easy. 

Since I too am I survivor and he saw what I went through, this might be why he is determined to go through the treatments and fight.

• luv4mymom
    luv4mymom Member Posts: 1
    My mom was just diagnosed in

My mom was just diagnosed in  September. Her tumor that was removed was in the right frontal lobe. It caused personality changes as well. The steriods are also causing some of the anger. Since they have given her a stronger pain pill and an anti anxiety med, she has gotten a lot better but i know exactly what you are talking about. It is so scary and just hearbreaking. 

• ChristyH
    ChristyH Member Posts: 1
    luv4mymom said:

My mom was just diagnosed in

My mom was just diagnosed in  September. Her tumor that was removed was in the right frontal lobe. It caused personality changes as well. The steriods are also causing some of the anger. Since they have given her a stronger pain pill and an anti anxiety med, she has gotten a lot better but i know exactly what you are talking about. It is so scary and just hearbreaking. 

My Mother was just diagnosed with glioblastoma grade IV

How is your mother?  I have searched the internet for someone to relate with.  My mother was diagnosed with a glioblastoma grade IV on December 12, 2015.  Her tumor is inoperable and is already very advanced.  

How are you coping?

• punit_iaf
    punit_iaf Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2016 #5
    GBM grade 4

my father was diagnosed with GBM grade 4 last year in may. He was doing fine for 6 months but from last 6 months he has lost a lot of weight as we went through surgery then chemo and radiation.Now he has stopped swalling water but he is able to eat food. Can anyone suggest me any method or way out that i can make him consume water.

• JOinMO
    JOinMO Member Posts: 9
    BFF has GBM grade 4

My dear friend of almost 30 years was diagnosed with inoperable grade 4 GBM in May.  What is the location of your mother's tumors?  My friend's tumor is located in her frontal lobe (primarily in left lobe but has spread to right).  I have been told by her oncologist it will eventually cause her to have personality changes.