Blocked portal vein

Dannielle
Dannielle Member Posts: 11
Has anybody who has liver cancer or known anyone with liver cancer who had a blocked portal vein? My dad is going on Nexavar and we were wondering if it will shrink it. Any info will be helpful. Thank you!

Comments

• XtremediverHCC
    XtremediverHCC Member Posts: 63 Member
    I had a Portal Vein
    I had a Portal Vein Thrombosis following my last recurrence of HCC. It was treated by Warafin pills and blood was drawn every week or two to check on my blood counts. It was 15cm and eventually it dissipated and has not returned. Don't know if Nexavar itself will help, however.
  • mydeardad
    mydeardad Member Posts: 7
    Nexavar
    My father has stage IV liver cancer with a tumor in the portal vein. He has taken Nexavar and had Thermo-spheres implanted. From what I understand, Nexavar will not shrink the existing tumors. It is supposed to stop new growth. It is the radiation from the Thermo-spheres that will shrink the tumor.

The nexavar was too much for his body, even though he was only taking half of the recommended dose. We see his oncologist this Friday and hopefully his counts are well enough that the chemo can be restarted.
  • mydeardad
    mydeardad Member Posts: 7
    Nexavar
    My father has stage IV liver cancer with a tumor in the portal vein. He has taken Nexavar and had Thermo-spheres implanted. From what I understand, Nexavar will not shrink the existing tumors. It is supposed to stop new growth. It is the radiation from the Thermo-spheres that will shrink the tumor.

The nexavar was too much for his body, even though he was only taking half of the recommended dose. We see his oncologist this Friday and hopefully his counts are well enough that the chemo can be restarted.
  • bluequail
    bluequail Member Posts: 1
    mydeardad said:

Nexavar

nexavar
    Since we are already into October, I hope your dad's oncologist had some good news for him.

Back in 11/07, my dad was diagnosed with advanced liver cancer. He was given 3 months by his doctors. At that time, we were told that his largest tumor was 11cm X 7cm, and that there were numerous satellite tumors.

The very day that Nexavar was pulled from clinical trials early (because it was showing to be so successful), the doctor wrote a prescription for my dad for it. My dad was started on it, and even though it didn't shrink the growth of the largest tumor, it did stop any more growth of it. Unfortunately, even more satellite tumors started growing.

He ended up having a combination of the Nexavar and TACE treatments. That was back in 2008 and he is still alive today, in 2012.

But that year that he was originally diagnosed, in February (2007) he had had a CT scan done to see if he was able to start treatment for Hep C, and there were no growths at that time. By 11/07, that largest tumor was eleven centimeters by 7 centimeters.

The hospital that oversaw his treatment was University of NM hospital on Lomas Blvd. in Albuquerque.

I hope this information helps you or anyone at some level.
  • Suzieste
    Suzieste Member Posts: 3

I had a Portal Vein
    I had a Portal Vein Thrombosis following my last recurrence of HCC. It was treated by Warafin pills and blood was drawn every week or two to check on my blood counts. It was 15cm and eventually it dissipated and has not returned. Don't know if Nexavar itself will help, however.

Hi my dad have liver
    Hi my dad have liver cancer,from HVB and portal vein thrombosis he is on nexavar we had ablation he was ok and now the doctors are saying that the thrombosis is bigger and they can't do anything.please tell me why with the Warafin thinners did you have good results??because no one doctor suggest that.thank you
  • XtremediverHCC
    XtremediverHCC Member Posts: 63 Member
    Suzieste said:

Hi my dad have liver
    Hi my dad have liver cancer,from HVB and portal vein thrombosis he is on nexavar we had ablation he was ok and now the doctors are saying that the thrombosis is bigger and they can't do anything.please tell me why with the Warafin thinners did you have good results??because no one doctor suggest that.thank you

Suzieste, I honestly do not
    Suzieste, I honestly do not have any idea why Warafin was prescribed for my thrombosis and why it worked so well on me. I had RFA 2 years after resection surgery. My HCC occurred following my clearing the Hep-C virus through treatment by the same doctor who treated my Cancers. Portal Vein Thrombosis is blood clotting inside the vein; it is not cancer per se. If your father has a Portal Vein Tumor, that is different and may be why your doctors aren't mentioning treatment with Warafin. Warafin is merely a blood thinner and the Portal Vein supplies 75% of the blood through the liver. I hope this helps and will clarify any questions you might have. Good luck and make sure you get the doctors to explain exactly what is happening with you father.
  • Suzieste
    Suzieste Member Posts: 3

Suzieste, I honestly do not
    Suzieste, I honestly do not have any idea why Warafin was prescribed for my thrombosis and why it worked so well on me. I had RFA 2 years after resection surgery. My HCC occurred following my clearing the Hep-C virus through treatment by the same doctor who treated my Cancers. Portal Vein Thrombosis is blood clotting inside the vein; it is not cancer per se. If your father has a Portal Vein Tumor, that is different and may be why your doctors aren't mentioning treatment with Warafin. Warafin is merely a blood thinner and the Portal Vein supplies 75% of the blood through the liver. I hope this helps and will clarify any questions you might have. Good luck and make sure you get the doctors to explain exactly what is happening with you father.

Thank you so much!

Thank you so much!
  • LISAmaried
    LISAmaried Member Posts: 6
    bluequail said:

nexavar
    Since we are already into October, I hope your dad's oncologist had some good news for him.

Back in 11/07, my dad was diagnosed with advanced liver cancer. He was given 3 months by his doctors. At that time, we were told that his largest tumor was 11cm X 7cm, and that there were numerous satellite tumors.

The very day that Nexavar was pulled from clinical trials early (because it was showing to be so successful), the doctor wrote a prescription for my dad for it. My dad was started on it, and even though it didn't shrink the growth of the largest tumor, it did stop any more growth of it. Unfortunately, even more satellite tumors started growing.

He ended up having a combination of the Nexavar and TACE treatments. That was back in 2008 and he is still alive today, in 2012.

But that year that he was originally diagnosed, in February (2007) he had had a CT scan done to see if he was able to start treatment for Hep C, and there were no growths at that time. By 11/07, that largest tumor was eleven centimeters by 7 centimeters.

The hospital that oversaw his treatment was University of NM hospital on Lomas Blvd. in Albuquerque.

I hope this information helps you or anyone at some level.

Thank you so much bluequail
    My father just received the results of his first PET scan after his therasphere treatment, unbeleivably, 60% of the tumor is now dead and shrinking. His cancer center told him it is the best response they have ever seen. I have been trying to find information on quality of life and life expectancy after therashphere, but it is very hard to find this info. Maybe because of the relative newness off the treatment? All I know is your post has made me very happy. My dad had a 8.5cm tumor, and no other liver disease. I knew the fact cancer is the only disease he is fighting helps his odds, but to know your dad has lived for five years, puts me over the moon. Dad has been so positive all along, telling me and my step mom that he just KNOWs he will beat this. I am an only child and I learned that he had liver cancer 12 hours before I found out my mom has lung cancer, so I have really needed some kind of hope to hold onto. His news yesterday and finding your post today is it. I knew miracles can happen, I am praying we are receiving one. The best news is he is coming to visit with me and his grandchildren for Thanksgiving. I cannot wait to give him that hug!!Bless you for sharing your information.
  • coopsternow
    coopsternow Member Posts: 1
    Tumor in portal Vein

Hello, I am the daughter of a man who has had the whipple surgery about 20 years ago, with a "feeler" (Piece of the Tumor) left in his portal vein after surgery because they couldn't remove it. 

Just recently he has been told the tumor in his portal vein is now growing again, .. I am looking for any information on this, what are the options for treatment, what is longevity, prognosis?? any information is helpful.? any treatment options that has helped anyone? any survivors?

Thank you for your help.

• Tumor in portal Vein

Hello, I am the daughter of a man who has had the whipple surgery about 20 years ago, with a "feeler" (Piece of the Tumor) left in his portal vein after surgery because they couldn't remove it. 

Just recently he has been told the tumor in his portal vein is now growing again, .. I am looking for any information on this, what are the options for treatment, what is longevity, prognosis?? any information is helpful.? any treatment options that has helped anyone? any survivors?

Thank you for your help.

Vein Reconstruction

Hi Coopsternow,

One of the reasons why three other leading surgeons told me I was not a candidate for surgery was the location of the tumor.  But, at Columbia Presbyterian in NYC, the highly-skilled surgical team used techniques learned from performing over 2000 liver transplants to reconstruct my vena cava.  I feel very fortunate and am grateful to them for saving my life. 

Most surgeons are very good, but not ALL surgeons are experts at treating every conceivable way that liver cancer presents its ugliness. 

It is encouraging to hear that your Dad survived twenty years from the initial surgery and best on finding the right answer so he can do another twenty years!

PM me if you feel I can be of any assistance.

• husbandsadvocate
    husbandsadvocate Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2017 #12

Vein Reconstruction

Hi Coopsternow,

One of the reasons why three other leading surgeons told me I was not a candidate for surgery was the location of the tumor.  But, at Columbia Presbyterian in NYC, the highly-skilled surgical team used techniques learned from performing over 2000 liver transplants to reconstruct my vena cava.  I feel very fortunate and am grateful to them for saving my life. 

Most surgeons are very good, but not ALL surgeons are experts at treating every conceivable way that liver cancer presents its ugliness. 

It is encouraging to hear that your Dad survived twenty years from the initial surgery and best on finding the right answer so he can do another twenty years!

PM me if you feel I can be of any assistance.

Liver cancer, portal vein thrombus diagnosis

Hi, Fortunate2BAlive:

My husband has been diagnosed with liver cancer.  Internal medicine doctor sent him to a gastroenterologist, had MRI, gastroenterologist said nothing he could do, sent him to oncology surgeon, oncology surgeon said nothing he can do, may have 18 months to live with radiation, sent him to intravenous radiologist, nothing he can do, but that he may live another 6 months, now sending him to a medical oncologist to be put on Nexavar.  He is 72 and in excellent health otherwise.  Told that Nexavar may or may not help, has side effects and may only extend his life by another month to 6 weeks, in addition to the 6 months he was told he may live.  I am amazed by some of the comments I am reading here, especially yours.  Is he not being offered any solution because of his age?  His parents lived to be in their 90's.  I have really lost faith in most of the doctors where I live and I supposedly live in a town with some of the best hospitals in the country.  One year ago, he was told he had two small spots on his liver that were too small to biopsy and told not to come back by this doctor.  He was feeling bad so we went to another doctor for another opinion in January, and now all of this one year later .....and being told nothing can be done.  We are shocked.  Is he too old to look for other opinions? 

Would appreciate your input.  Thanks.

• sadhika_ganti
    sadhika_ganti Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2017 #13
    Portal Vein Blocked,Tumor and Cirrhotic Liver with tumor.

My Husban has portal vein cancer. His liver is infected I mean cirotic. We suppose to tray to transplant the liver and during the process doctor did PET scan. It was very hard for us to know his Porta vein has Thombiss and tumor also. This tumor is ditect as cance. Doctor sent back us home and given 3 months medicine. He is very thin and very week. Doctor sugest to start the Chemo, however his helth is not in that condition to abserb the chemo. We are really very hard condition to see his health. Please if any one has such case please share the ideas how to shrink his tumor?

• sherry123
    sherry123 Member Posts: 26
    edited March 2017 #14
    Royal Propolis

I know someone who has liver tumor shrinked by having Royal Propolis. Some cancer caused by inbalanced hormon. Those treatment in hospital, treat you also hurt you, that's why people die shortly after some expensive treatment. Why more any more people died from cancer? I know a couple of people doctor diagnose them as cancer, they go back to their own country, doctors say they don't have cancer. It's pretty tricky to deal with doctors, there's very little transparancy in this industry, doctors are all independant, you can't take any photo in hospital by law, really a black hole. Cancer is a disease doctor can give you any treatment and not responsible for it. I think research the reputation of doctors is very important, you know first reason people go to this industry is making more money today, more money also makes more power.