well that was exciting

foxhd
foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member

I finally was scheduled for my scans last thursday to find out how my nivo and radiation have been working out. But during the week I had had a couple of hypotensive episodes with SOB. I tried to ignore it as these scans were important. Aren't they all? Anyway, next thing I know I am in the cardiac recusitation unit in the E.D. with atrial flutter with a pulse of 215 and a chaplain standing over me. As I joked with the medical staff while they are ready to hit me with the paddles, my heart  stabilized. After some medication changes and a few days in the hospital I'm back home and am as beligerent as usual.

This cat (I mean fox) keeps using up his 9 lives. Just 2 things bothered me. I didn't get my scans. Oh well, maybe next week. And I told the medical staff that the only thing that made me nervous was the chaplain ready to give me last rights. Or whatever it is religious people get. I thought for sure that meant I was checking out. I actually told the chaplain that I have been to the finish line before and there is nothing on the other side and I was comfortable with that. I told them all I'd be OK as I had a lot of group karma coming my way.

Well now I'm home. I've got a t-time for tuesday. I'll walk the 18. And life goes on. Another week or two and I'll find out how I've done with the nivo and I'll let you all know.

Comments

• hardo718
    hardo718 Member Posts: 853 Member
    edited July 2016 #2
    No checking out allowed!!!

What the heck Catman, I mean Fox!  How many lives have you used up?  We need you & your wisdom, we aren't done with you yet.

In all seriousness though, are you feeling ok?  (I hope)

Love & Hugs,

Donna~

• Pandabear1011
    Pandabear1011 Member Posts: 123 Member
    edited July 2016 #3
    Dang!!

Glad they got that all figured out for you. Enjoy your golf game on Tuesday. Sending you lots of good karma...:)...Hugs, Panda

• Allochka
    Allochka Member Posts: 1,060 Member
    Fox, take care of yourself

Fox, take care of yourself and good luck with scans!

• Jan4you
    Jan4you Member Posts: 1,330 Member
    edited July 2016 #5
    Oh my dear, I hope you are

Oh my dear, I hope you are writing ALL of this down so they can make it a movie of the week, or marathon!

Gosh, ENUFF!

BTW: It isn't really called the last rites, per se, via the Catholic Church. I wonder why they would call  a Priest if you are not afflilated to any religion, much less Catholic. Anyway, its prayers for your HEALING now and for  the healing and comfort of those who love you. I have witnessed this rite many times when I worked Hospice. It is comforting, even to a non-believer. For what all that's worth to you.

Glad you were able to tell us, alive!! But I wouldn't hold it past you that when you find out there IS an after life, you come back on here to let us know! After all, YOU'd be the best witness to that fact! LOL. I know you do not choose to believe it..I  know.

Hugs to my huggable one,

Jan

• donna_lee
    donna_lee Member Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited July 2016 #6
    You outfoxed them....again

And I'm glad you're here to talk about it.  Just keep on sneeking around and don't let anyone catch you.

Love & hugs

donna_lee

• foxhd
    does anyone

else have as much fun as me? They were surprised that I didn't have a cardiac arrest or at least stroke out. ...OUCH!.. just pinched myself. Yep. still alive, alert, and no deficits. I made them promise that if I was on my way out that they would say so. I told them I had to die with my middle fingers extended to say, "Screw you cancer! You didn't get me." I kept them laughing and told the joke about the old couple sharing a meal at McDonalds.

My daughter works at a home care agency that I worked at. The cardiac dept. manager always has dirty, sexist remarks. She told my daughter that she would love to be my nurse. I told her I would love to have her as my nurse as long as she took my temperature alot. LOL!

Anyway, all appears stable. Worked in the yard today and I'm golfing tomorrow. Damn grimm reaper will have to track me down. I'm not sitting still.

All you guys keep me alive with your thoughts and prayers. Karma. What goes around, comes around. Thank you. FLY. Fox loves you.

• JerzyGrrl
    JerzyGrrl Member Posts: 760 Member
    edited July 2016 #8
    Hovering...?!

Oh, dear, if there's one thing well-trained chaplains are NOT supposed to do, it's hover or stand over people.  Come by and see how you're doing, yes. Come by and see if there's anything you need, anyone you want to come by or be notified, yes.  Come by not looking as though they're dressed like an undertaker, yes. 

I hope you let the chaplain know that was definitely NOT the best way for you to wake up and why Laughing -- !

Jerzy

• donna_lee
    donna_lee Member Posts: 1,041 Member
    Mouths of babes

We had baby chicks when my daughter was little...3-4 yrs.  She was playing nurse with them and decided to use the "butt mometer".  Now is that what you really want the nurse to do for you?  and frequently?

Donna

• foxhd
    hardo718 said:

No checking out allowed!!!

What the heck Catman, I mean Fox!  How many lives have you used up?  We need you & your wisdom, we aren't done with you yet.

In all seriousness though, are you feeling ok?  (I hope)

Love & Hugs,

Donna~

lives..

Donna, besides being stage 4 for 5 years, this is at least the 3rd time I almost won the lottery. I'm going to say that a lifetime of being a runner is why I'm still here. Distance runners can just "go a little bit longer," and can hang on. There have been times that all I had to do is just let go and it would have been over. I'm just not ready.

• foxhd

Dang!!

Glad they got that all figured out for you. Enjoy your golf game on Tuesday. Sending you lots of good karma...:)...Hugs, Panda

Panda,

nice to see you posting. So glad you are remaing ned. So cool. The doctors felt that I was having an adverse reaction from my afib medication. They changed my medication and I responded to it quickly. All good news. FLY.

• foxhd
    edited July 2016 #12
    Allochka said:

Fox, take care of yourself

Fox, take care of yourself and good luck with scans!

Allochka,

Thank you. Stable scans will be a victory. That's all I'm asking. It's been 12 weeks or so on nivo. There will be no confusion over the results. I just hope that I can stay on nivo and enjoy the lack of side effects.

• foxhd
    Jan4you said:

Oh my dear, I hope you are

Oh my dear, I hope you are writing ALL of this down so they can make it a movie of the week, or marathon!

Gosh, ENUFF!

BTW: It isn't really called the last rites, per se, via the Catholic Church. I wonder why they would call  a Priest if you are not afflilated to any religion, much less Catholic. Anyway, its prayers for your HEALING now and for  the healing and comfort of those who love you. I have witnessed this rite many times when I worked Hospice. It is comforting, even to a non-believer. For what all that's worth to you.

Glad you were able to tell us, alive!! But I wouldn't hold it past you that when you find out there IS an after life, you come back on here to let us know! After all, YOU'd be the best witness to that fact! LOL. I know you do not choose to believe it..I  know.

Hugs to my huggable one,

Jan

Always the sweetie pie

Jan, the chaplain is a member of the ED team. Huge dept. At least 77 rooms and still the halls are full of patients.

I have said in the past that if there is a heaven, I don't want to go. As a physical therapist I would have nothing to do. No one would need knee or back rehab. Everyone could walk or fly around so I couldn't help out there either. Playing golf would stink always shooting 18. I'd be bored to tears. I say "cook my remains and let them blow in the wind." Every piece would hold my spirit and just maybe I could do life all over again in a million other forms. Not as in reincarnation but another way. Maybe some of my molecules will influence how others think or smile. Or maybe my artistic side will influence the beauty of nature. Get the picture? And yes I do get many hugs. I can pick yours out of the bunch any day. Thank you and many times back in return. Love you babe.

• foxhd
    donna_lee said:

You outfoxed them....again

And I'm glad you're here to talk about it.  Just keep on sneeking around and don't let anyone catch you.

Love & hugs

donna_lee

Donna,

I sometimes wonder what I look like in others eyes. And you've watched my entire trip. I tend to be able to let go of these experiences I've had with my cancer. Then just move on. Keeps me from going more nuts. Living forward. BTW, did you ever think we were related?

• foxhd

Taking temperatures

You do realise they dont need to use your mouth to take your temperature dont you? To paraphrase Andrew Lloyd Weber "Any Orifice will do.".

Change phaser setting from 'stun' to 'dull'.

You should read 'Reaper Man' by Terry Pratchett.  Or "Mort" When DEATH takes an apprentice and starts worring 'about whats it all really about? Really. when you get right down to it.'

Existential crises and death dont really go so well together. And there is also the problem of God's irritating teenage daughter, Susan.'

Read these two brilliant, hilarious, thoughtful and funny books. And stop being so damn interesting!

Rooting for you mate (Oh, and I meant Mort before Reaper Man)a great read.

Foots

Sometimes I wonder what the hell you're talking about. Your students must miss your intrique. Get that hip in order. Then we can sit back and wait for the next lighning strike. You and I always have something going on. We need a good long streak of boring.

• foxhd
    edited July 2016 #16
    JerzyGrrl said:

Hovering...?!

Oh, dear, if there's one thing well-trained chaplains are NOT supposed to do, it's hover or stand over people.  Come by and see how you're doing, yes. Come by and see if there's anything you need, anyone you want to come by or be notified, yes.  Come by not looking as though they're dressed like an undertaker, yes. 

I hope you let the chaplain know that was definitely NOT the best way for you to wake up and why Laughing -- !

Jerzy

Jerzy,

It didn't take long to admire your humor and attitude. Have you got a biker background? You look just like our dog Cooper.

• foxhd
    Donna,

After working over 40 years in health care, with mostly women, nothing is sacred. I've heard women say things few other men have. She was very funny and graphic. Being able to shoot one back at her was very funny. Even after not seeing her for 10 years or so. A good friend is a good friend for life. Right Donna?

• Airie
    Airie Member Posts: 45
    edited July 2016 #18
    Fox-

Fox-

So not surprised you once again looked death in the eye and won. You've also won the hearts of many on this site. Your candor, honesty and humor are so appreciated! Cheers to boring!

Cherie

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    Since you seem to have 9

Since you seem to have 9 lives, you have quite a few more to go :) Can't believe the cardiac scare; just what you needed. If I'd seen a chaplain standing over me I'd have probably wet the bed. Glad its ok now and wishing you a very boring, uneventful scan.

• JerzyGrrl
    JerzyGrrl Member Posts: 760 Member
    foxhd said:

Jerzy,

It didn't take long to admire your humor and attitude. Have you got a biker background? You look just like our dog Cooper.

Hey, thanks

Hey, thanks.

My grandparents rode a motorcycle, maybe 90-100 years ago. Don't know what kind. Dad rode in the '30s and '40s. His favorite was an Indian with enough engine for several bikes. He told me if he ever caught me on the back of a bike, he'd kill whoever the bike belonged to, so of course I had to rebel and date some guys who were into motorcycles, right? I learned to ride, but never got my own bike. So, it's been quite a few years, but yeah. 

Tell Cooper that The Boy says, "Yo!" (And that he has a cyclist background). 

• Vanda58
    Vanda58 Member Posts: 1
    Hello stage 3 kidney cancer survivor

Hello I am new to this site. In jan a 10cm mass was found on my right kidney had a radical nephretomy to removal my right kidney stage 3ta  clear cell and go back in August for ct scan it seems like every single pain or ache I get it, I worry that it has spread and now that it is getting  close to scan time I am feeling so anxious, just praying that it comes back with good results and best of luck and prayer to all of you too!!