1.3 cm non aggressive tumor

wcco9203
wcco9203 Member Posts: 43 Member

Hello,

I have been told there is a 1.3 cm tumor on my right kidney 70% cancer or 30% benign.  I am opting for partial neph for piece of mind and to get on with my life.  Does anyone know the chances of reccurance? my doctor told me around 4%.  Those seem like pretty good odds.  

Comments

• donna_lee
    donna_lee Member Posts: 1,041 Member
    With cancer, I hate to make sure bets,

But the size of your "whatever" gives you extremely good odds.  Have your partial, get the path report and listen to the Doc.  Recurrence does happen, but usually with a larger mass.  You are "lucky" that for whatever reason, the symptoms for something made you see a Dr. and the mass was found very early.

Keep on the path you're on and let us know after you have it removed.  The surgery should be relatively easy, you will be uncomfortable for several days, and optimistically have a speed recovery.

Good Luck and take care of the rest of yourself.

donna_lee

p.s.  You're new.  If you need to find out about the person who posts, assuming they've written a brief bio, click on the user name to see what they have to say about when,where,what, why, etc. their cancer came to light.

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    edited May 2016 #3
    I agree with your doctor

One lucky Guy/Gal,

Not fun hearing that you may have Kidney Cancer, but lucky enough to catch it before it can misbehave. Take the 4% recurrance with a grain of salt. Any further misbehaving will be caught early by regular scanning and dealt with accordingly.

Icemantoo

• hardo718
    hardo718 Member Posts: 853 Member
    Welcome WCCO

Wow, caught that little bugger early!  I had a left partial neph in Oct. 2012 via robotics.  I was 59 at the time.  Although I've never felt that weak in my life, I was home 2 days later and only took pain meds once after I got home.  Uncomfortable? yes, but no real pain.  It's advisable to have some meals prepared in advance, unless of course you have someone to do that for you.  Drink plenty fluids and if you can, get one of those velcro lumbar supports.  It really helps when you're trying to move around a bit, as in getting in an upright position to walk, etc.  Just will help to make you feel like everything will hold together.  Another poster will mention using ice with it to help keep swelling down.  Great idea.  I went back to work after 3 weeks, wish I would have waited another week, due to the nature of my job at the time, but each person is different of course.

Other than that, just do as your told by your doctors and follow-up as they suggest.

Donna~

• wcco9203
    icemantoo said:

I agree with your doctor

One lucky Guy/Gal,

Not fun hearing that you may have Kidney Cancer, but lucky enough to catch it before it can misbehave. Take the 4% recurrance with a grain of salt. Any further misbehaving will be caught early by regular scanning and dealt with accordingly.

Icemantoo

I guess I don't understand, I

I guess I don't understand, I was under the impression the smaller the tumor, the less likely of recurrence.  I am scared, but can't let my family see it.  my doctor told me that this is about as good as it gets with a tumor like this.  He said not a death sentence by any means.  He feels like he can take it out, and do scans every 6 months for the first 3-5 years, and after that you can spread them out.

• wcco9203
    What is the likelyhood of

What is the likelyhood of recurrence of a 1.3cm tumor if found to be cancerous?  Any opinions?

• daisybud
    daisybud Member Posts: 541 Member
    edited May 2016 #7
    Welcome

I mine was 2.5 cm, a partial, clear cell rcc and I was told 5-10% reoccurrence.  Thats what he said when I tried to pin him down to an answer :-) I had it done this past February so I know how you feel about concern over reoccurrence. Hang in there till you get a pathology. Maybe you will be in the 30%  I'm getting follow-ups every 6 months for 2 years and annually after. 

Kim

• daisybud
    daisybud Member Posts: 541 Member
    Oops

Forgot to add benign after the 30%.  Don't want to scare you anymore.  

Kim

• wcco9203
    daisybud said:

Welcome

I mine was 2.5 cm, a partial, clear cell rcc and I was told 5-10% reoccurrence.  Thats what he said when I tried to pin him down to an answer :-) I had it done this past February so I know how you feel about concern over reoccurrence. Hang in there till you get a pathology. Maybe you will be in the 30%  I'm getting follow-ups every 6 months for 2 years and annually after. 

Kim

Do you have any anxiety?  Or

Do you have any anxiety?  Or can you give me advice on how to cope day to day?

• wcco9203
    icemantoo said:

I agree with your doctor

One lucky Guy/Gal,

Icemantoo

I read where you had this 14

I read where you had this 14 years ago.  How big was yours, and what kind of prognosis did they give you back then?  My doctor is telling me that this is very curable and beatable?  That I should expect to live a full life

• icemantoo
    Anxiety

wcco,

Unfortunately being told out of the blue that you probaly have Kidney Cancer is enough to scare the s--t out of anone. It sure scare th s--t out of me 14 years ago. And than to top it off they wasnt to yank out your kidney. You are going thru perfectly normal feelings. You are here amongt those who have been there and done that. Your possible tumor is so small that you barely make the cut to join our club. Everything will turn out fine for you. Years down the road you will look at ths as a mere bump in the road thru life.

Icemantoo

• wcco9203
    edited May 2016 #12
    icemantoo said:

Anxiety

wcco,

Unfortunately being told out of the blue that you probaly have Kidney Cancer is enough to scare the s--t out of anone. It sure scare th s--t out of me 14 years ago. And than to top it off they wasnt to yank out your kidney. You are going thru perfectly normal feelings. You are here amongt those who have been there and done that. Your possible tumor is so small that you barely make the cut to join our club. Everything will turn out fine for you. Years down the road you will look at ths as a mere bump in the road thru life.

Icemantoo

Thank you!  Your kind words

Thank you!  Your kind words are helping me tremendously.

• Footstomper
    Footstomper Member Posts: 1,237 Member
    wcco9203 said:

Do you have any anxiety?  Or

Do you have any anxiety?  Or can you give me advice on how to cope day to day?

Anxiety

Constant companion, I am afraid. But you tumour is a tiddler and you assuredly can live a full and normal life. As someone once said, You have nothing to fear, but fear itself.

• icemantoo
    wcco9203 said:

I read where you had this 14

I read where you had this 14 years ago.  How big was yours, and what kind of prognosis did they give you back then?  My doctor is telling me that this is very curable and beatable?  That I should expect to live a full life

My prognosis 14 years ago.

Mine was 2.6 cm at the initial CT and 4.2  cm at biopsy after surgery. I think the measurements are more accurate now. They told me my 5 year survival rate was 85% which at 59 much of the mortality as you grow older is natural anyway and nowadays the non survival rate is much lower than 15 % anyway. You were given a recurrance rate of 4% which tranlates into a 5 year survival rate close to 100%. My thoughts about your prognosis are that if you are not around 10 or 15 years from now it is going to be as a result of something other than Kidney Cancer. As for what your doctor said above he is as honest and accurate as can be.

Icemantoo

• wcco9203
    edited May 2016 #15

Anxiety

Constant companion, I am afraid. But you tumour is a tiddler and you assuredly can live a full and normal life. As someone once said, You have nothing to fear, but fear itself.

Thank you.  

Thank you.  

• wcco9203
    icemantoo said:

Mine was 2.6 cm at the initial CT and 4.2  cm at biopsy after surgery. I think the measurements are more accurate now. They told me my 5 year survival rate was 85% which at 59 much of the mortality as you grow older is natural anyway and nowadays the non survival rate is much lower than 15 % anyway. You were given a recurrance rate of 4% which tranlates into a 5 year survival rate close to 100%. My thoughts about your prognosis are that if you are not around 10 or 15 years from now it is going to be as a result of something other than Kidney Cancer. As for what your doctor said above he is as honest and accurate as can be.

Icemantoo

It's obvious you ate very

It's obvious you ate very knowledgeable in this area.  I take it you have done tons of research, and are full of useful information.  You are definitely easing my mind.

• hardo718
    hardo718 Member Posts: 853 Member
    edited May 2016 #17
    Anxiety

Goes with the territory I'm afraid to say.  So many negative connotations linked to the word "cancer".  Just try to keep in mind that it was caught VERY early and chances are you'll be around for a very long time.  Personally I try to think of it as one of those life lessons, there's something in all of this I need to learn.  Why?  I'm not quite sure yet.  I hope maybe it's merely so I can be an example to others.  Honestly, some days I do better with the lesson than others.  I certainly have days that I still freak out.  I suppose some of that is normal and I've never been equipped with great coping skills, so recently, literally just a couple of weeks ago, I have started some counseling to try and get a better grip on it. 

Hope some of this may help you, if nothing else just to let you know you're not alone.

Donna~

• wcco9203
    edited May 2016 #18
    icemantoo said:

Icemantoo

Being that I am only 49, I am

Being that I am only 49, I am hoping for another 30-40 years.  I know what you were saying.  I wish I could have your positive outlook today, but a I am hoping it comes with time.

• Sheeple
    Sheeple Member Posts: 19
    Before I had my little 2.5 cm

Before I had my little 2.5 cm mass removed my surgeon told me I would need a scan 3 months after surgery and annually from that point on. After getting my 3 month scan he changed his recommendation and told me no further follow up scans or x-rays were necessary. At first I thought he was crazy but further research on my part revealed that for some doctors that is indeed the recommended advice for patients with a T1a tumor. The odds are that good that it won't be coming back. The odds that I will die from something other than this cancer are more than twice as great and I don't feel a need to be on the constant look out for these other things or to live in a bubble. So with that my next scan will only be when symptoms indicate one should be done. It has been 2.5 years since my surgery and I've had no indications anything is going on. When I had that tumor I had lost a lot of weight in a very short time, that's the original reason I went to the doctor. Once it was removed my weight recovered fairly quickly. So I'm hoping my body will respond in the same manner again should that cancer revisit me. 

• marosa
    marosa Member Posts: 334 Member
    I agree that cancer is

a very scary thing to hear!  But if it is, yours is really as good as it gets. Take a day at a time.  You will soon be back to normal and anxiety and fear will lessen.  many of us would like to be in your case scenario but I'll just speak for myself, I know I would definitely be!  Sending good vibes

• foroughsh
    foroughsh Member Posts: 779 Member
    edited May 2016 #21
    I agree with your doctor, the

I agree with your doctor, the kidney tumors are usually malignant but a 1.3 cm is too small to make you worried, it's caught early and weather or not it's malignant, you could be cured by nephrectomy.

Forough