Living with stage iv non-small cell lung cancer for 5 years

My dad was given 6 months to live when he was initially diagnosed with stage 4 non-small cell lung cancer. It has been 5 years now and he continues to fight the odds. He has been on Tarceva since his diagnosis, no chemo or radiation. He tested "wild type" for the egfr mutation. In addition to Tarceva, he does a lot of alternative treatments to help boost his immune system and keep a positive attitude. This post is intended to provide HOPE for those who are battling with lung cancer.

Comments

• Cynthia_Reed
    Cynthia_Reed Member Posts: 2
    Metastasis

Where all had your father's cancer spread at the time of diagnosis?

• Metastasis

Where all had your father's cancer spread at the time of diagnosis?

Metastasis

Hi Cynthia,

Sorry for the late reply. His cancer had also spread to the surface of his aorta and pleural cavity at the time of diagnosis.

• Gilberto_Farthing
    Gilberto_Farthing Member Posts: 15
    Hey Hopeforlungcancer,Your

Hey Hopeforlungcancer,
    Your father must be the inspiration for others who are surviving from this same situation.
    Thanks For sharing.

• Hey Hopeforlungcancer,Your

Hey Hopeforlungcancer,
    Your father must be the inspiration for others who are surviving from this same situation.
    Thanks For sharing.

Hi Gilberto,
    Thank you for

Hi Gilberto,

Thank you for your comment, he truly is an inspiration. When we started this journey 5 years ago, nobody gave us hope. Today, I hope my dad's story can push other cancer patients to live.

Keep the faith 

• dennycee
    dennycee Member Posts: 857 Member
    So many come here looking for hope.

Thank you for sharing your dad's story.  It will bring hope to many!

• fighting to live

where did your dad get treatment. I am on tarceva now waitung first results of ct scan to see if any improvement,  stage 4 lung cancer.. also had small tumor on brain had gamma radition knife surgery waiting MRI next week for check on this.  I'm fighting for my life alone lost spouse in May 2014 to lung cancer spread to liver bones was to late. I have no family just friends and care givers, I am in my early 60's.  How did he get through all the side effects. did he take 150mg or 100mgand  how often.  what alternative treament is your dad doing.  

• fighting to live

where did your dad get treatment. I am on tarceva now waitung first results of ct scan to see if any improvement,  stage 4 lung cancer.. also had small tumor on brain had gamma radition knife surgery waiting MRI next week for check on this.  I'm fighting for my life alone lost spouse in May 2014 to lung cancer spread to liver bones was to late. I have no family just friends and care givers, I am in my early 60's.  How did he get through all the side effects. did he take 150mg or 100mgand  how often.  what alternative treament is your dad doing.  

Keep The Faith

I am so sorry for your wife’s loss. Please know that you are not alone, we are all here to support you in your battle. My dad is in southern California receiving treatment from a local medical group. He has been on Tarceva 150mg for 5 years straight. His cancer has increased very minimally over the years. The side effects of Tarceva have been very mild and tolerable (i.e., skin rashes, dry eyes, dry nose and upset stomach). He uses special body lotions/creams to help with his rashes and incorporates a lot of holistic treatments, including a special diet to boost his immune system. Most importantly, he maintains a positive attitude. Please feel free to visit my blog to read more about his alternative treatments. I’ll be sending lots of positive energy your way as you await your CT scan and MRI results.

Keep the faith.    

http://survivingstage4lungcancer.simplesite.com/

• johncaster
    johncaster Member Posts: 1
    wow, that's really brave! Did

wow, that's really brave! Did he tried any treatments abroad?

• wow, that's really brave! Did

wow, that's really brave! Did he tried any treatments abroad?

Thank you, Johncaster

Thank you, Johncaster. My dad is the bravest, strongest person I know. He has not tried any treatments abroad.

• lhoo
    lhoo Member Posts: 4
    My mum has been diagnosed

My mum has been diagnosed with Stage 4 NSCL yesterday. Still waiting for egfr mutation and PET scan results. Doc suggested Tarceva. I'm waiting for 2/3 opinions on diagnosis before agreeing on Tarceva. Can you share with me alternative treatments your dad is doing?

GOD bless for the HOPE.

• Hopeforlungcancer
    Hopeforlungcancer Member Posts: 6
    lhoo said:

My mum has been diagnosed

My mum has been diagnosed with Stage 4 NSCL yesterday. Still waiting for egfr mutation and PET scan results. Doc suggested Tarceva. I'm waiting for 2/3 opinions on diagnosis before agreeing on Tarceva. Can you share with me alternative treatments your dad is doing?

GOD bless for the HOPE.

Keep The Faith

I'm sorry to hear that your mom is going through this. There has been a lot of progress made in the field and things are looking up for cancer patients treatment wise. My dad has been on Tarceva since 2010 (no chemo/no radiation). We attribute his strong immune system to his healthy lifestyle (daily juicing, soursop leaf tea, alkaline/organic diet and excercise). Please feel free to visit my blog to learn more about his alternative treatments.

Keep the Faith.  

http://survivingstage4lungcancer.simplesite.com/