Are Ground-Glass Opacity Lung Nodules cancer?

CessnaFlyer
CessnaFlyer Member Posts: 110
edited March 2016 in Lung Cancer #1

My wife had a CT scan this week and they found at least 35 bilateral ground glass nodules and opacities ranging in size from 0.3 cm to one that is 1.6 cm. They are in all lobes. The report states there are a couple solid-appearing 0.3 cm ground-glass opancities. A biopsy is scheduled in which they go into the lung with a needle. My wife fears it's cancer, and is worried. Has anyone else had Ground-Glass Opacity Lung Nodules? I should also mention that my wife had a bout of phenomena several months ago and I am wondering if this is the result of the phenomena.

Comments

• z
    z Member Posts: 1,414 Member
    Cessnaflyer

Hello, I have not heard of fuzzy sections either.  I just know that a needle biopsy sometimes doesn't work because it has to get into the questionable area and sometimes good tissue will be found and the biopsy be inconclusive.  You might want to post your question on Inspire as well, there are a lot of poster there.  I wish you both well. Lori

• denistd
    denistd Member Posts: 597
    z said:

Cessnaflyer

Hello, I have not heard of fuzzy sections either.  I just know that a needle biopsy sometimes doesn't work because it has to get into the questionable area and sometimes good tissue will be found and the biopsy be inconclusive.  You might want to post your question on Inspire as well, there are a lot of poster there.  I wish you both well. Lori

Ground Glass

Yes I had a small ground glass opacity nodule, had a vats section and it did turn out to be cancer but they had removed it all with the biopsy, That was in 2012 and all is still clear.

• dennycee
    dennycee Member Posts: 857 Member
    Not all ground glass nodules

Not all ground glass nodules are cancerous but enough of them are that she shouldn't put off the biopsy.  Nodules can form as a result of pneumonia, cold, allergens, vapors and radon.  Best not to push it with nodules of that size.  If there's a silver lining here its that you don't say she is symptomatic.  Is that true?   

Where are the larger nodules located?  Is there time to inquire about an EBUS biopsy?  (EndoBroncial Ultra Sound).  Its less invasive.  If she's already had it please let us know the outcome. 

• CessnaFlyer
    dennycee said:

Not all ground glass nodules

Not all ground glass nodules are cancerous but enough of them are that she shouldn't put off the biopsy.  Nodules can form as a result of pneumonia, cold, allergens, vapors and radon.  Best not to push it with nodules of that size.  If there's a silver lining here its that you don't say she is symptomatic.  Is that true?   

Where are the larger nodules located?  Is there time to inquire about an EBUS biopsy?  (EndoBroncial Ultra Sound).  Its less invasive.  If she's already had it please let us know the outcome. 

GGO's in wife's lungs.

Thank you everyone for the responses. Here's what the CT scan report says:

"1. Multiple (at least 35) bilateral ground glass nodules and opacities, ranging in size from 0.3 cm to 1 x 1.6 cm, in all lobes. A couple more solid-appearing 0.3 cm left lower lobe micrododules are present. 1 x 1.6 cm groundglass opacity in right lower lobe is amenable to CT-guided biopsy. At a minimum, follow-up chest CT is recommended in 3-6 months."

My wife recently was treated with 5 different antibiotics for double phenomena and still has a cough and weezing, but she is able to jog several miles a day. She has a new doctor and he thinks what she has is called MAC and suggested the biopsy be cancelled and that instead a bronschoscopy be done instead. In short, he thinks she has a MAC infection and that this is not cancer, but that he is open to doing a biopsey if the bronscopy doesn't show a MAC infection. 

• dennycee
    dennycee Member Posts: 857 Member

GGO's in wife's lungs.

Thank you everyone for the responses. Here's what the CT scan report says:

"1. Multiple (at least 35) bilateral ground glass nodules and opacities, ranging in size from 0.3 cm to 1 x 1.6 cm, in all lobes. A couple more solid-appearing 0.3 cm left lower lobe micrododules are present. 1 x 1.6 cm groundglass opacity in right lower lobe is amenable to CT-guided biopsy. At a minimum, follow-up chest CT is recommended in 3-6 months."

My wife recently was treated with 5 different antibiotics for double phenomena and still has a cough and weezing, but she is able to jog several miles a day. She has a new doctor and he thinks what she has is called MAC and suggested the biopsy be cancelled and that instead a bronschoscopy be done instead. In short, he thinks she has a MAC infection and that this is not cancer, but that he is open to doing a biopsey if the bronscopy doesn't show a MAC infection. 

The bronchoscopy is an

The bronchoscopy is an excellent suggestion.  

• CessnaFlyer
    dennycee said:

The bronchoscopy is an

The bronchoscopy is an excellent suggestion.  

We're keeping our fingers crossed and hope it's not cancer.

She will have the test in a few weeks

• Kathyp1
    Kathyp1 Member Posts: 1
    Wife’s ground glass opacities

I have ground glass opacities.  They are scar tissue from pneumonia and ARDS,which is acute respiratory distress syndrome.  I’m a survivor.  I wondered if this would be helpful.