Journey beginning - emotional today.

Sitting home after recovering from a laparoscopic biopsy.   Still cannot wrap my head around this reoccurring uterine cancer. This is been going on now for three months the last word given to me was stage four.  My chemo starts this Thursday I kind of get the impression that this is just a treatment not really a cure for me that's what scares me.  The oncologist told my husband losing my hair is prettier good chance I got it cut short today and that was emotional.   During the laparoscopic procedure one of the incisions had to be made larger as she took out an entire tumor to confirm diagnosis. Between that my port being put in about two weeks ago and I'm going testing I'm really tired already just from being Sticht poked prodded .   Currently I'm having to take a shot a day to prevent blood clotting. I know it's different for everyone but I just want to know common things to look for as I begin this .    Today is my emotional day any feedback would be greatly appreciated. 

Comments

• Editgrl
    Editgrl Member Posts: 903 Member
    So sorry, jacjac2

So sorry you are going through this, but I am very glad that you found this board.  This is a group of strong compassionate women.  Feel free to vent, cry, scream, and ask any questions you may have. 

What kind of uterine cancer do you have?  You say that you are beginning chemo on Thursday.  Do you know what drugs they are giving you?  As you already know, everyone's experience with chemo is different, depending on the drugs used and the individuality of our own bodies, but there are some common side effects that many women have to a lesser or greater degree.

There is a thread called "Ladies going through chemo" that may help you. There are lots of tips there for dealing with the various side effects,

Fatigue, nausea, constipation or diarrhea, joint pain, neuropathy (tingling, numbness, pain in fingers & toes).  

As far as the stage of your cancer, there are ladies here with Stage IV that are doing very well.  I'm sure they will chime in.  

It's okay to be scared and emotional, but you can get through this.  You are stronger than you think.

Chris

• BC Brady
    BC Brady Member Posts: 70
    Editgrl said:

So sorry, jacjac2

So sorry you are going through this, but I am very glad that you found this board.  This is a group of strong compassionate women.  Feel free to vent, cry, scream, and ask any questions you may have. 

What kind of uterine cancer do you have?  You say that you are beginning chemo on Thursday.  Do you know what drugs they are giving you?  As you already know, everyone's experience with chemo is different, depending on the drugs used and the individuality of our own bodies, but there are some common side effects that many women have to a lesser or greater degree.

There is a thread called "Ladies going through chemo" that may help you. There are lots of tips there for dealing with the various side effects,

Fatigue, nausea, constipation or diarrhea, joint pain, neuropathy (tingling, numbness, pain in fingers & toes).  

As far as the stage of your cancer, there are ladies here with Stage IV that are doing very well.  I'm sure they will chime in.  

It's okay to be scared and emotional, but you can get through this.  You are stronger than you think.

Chris

jacjac2 - hang in there

Jac - Chris is RIGHT! You ARE stronger than you even know. One year ago tomorrow, I was going through a similar situation. I, too am stage 4, and in a year's time I have been clear (August) and I have had a reoccurrence. (October) Here's how I get through the days - I vsualize that cartoon of Snoopy and Charlie Brown - Snoopy says, "Someday we will all die" - and Charlie Brown says, "Yes, but until then, we will LIVE". And that's what I try to do - live. Sleep is your healing agent. I am doing pretty darn well, and I think you can, too. Surround yourself with people who believe you can make it. To me, after the operations are done, it's all about the medicine. It's a mental game now. My husband and I have begun to pray together at night. It helps me stay focused on my recovery and also gives me the opportunity to pray for others who are suffering - I can't tell you how much this has helped me. I feel like I'm taking charge over this cancer - I'm telling this chemo to get to work! GET IT DONE! We have lives to live! You are allowed to feel horrible - you are allowed to be angry - this is a ridiculous disease that none of us deserves. Our womanly bodies are trying to kill us - and we are not going to let that happen! The staging is scary, but it just means that we will have the biggest victory in the end. And they do re-stage after your treatments are done - so try not to dwell on the stage. My tricks for getting through each chemo round are as follows:

1. Sleep when needed the first 2 days after chemo - take half a xanax if necessary to quiet the nerves and relax. This helps me to relax enough to go to the bathroom too. 

2. Take the anti nausea - zofran works best for me. Although the nausea has not been too bad.

3. Muscle aches and belly aches seem better when I walk the driveway - I can do a mile in circles and pray, cry, plan, think, meditate. I have been able to avoid many total meltdowns with walking. 

I am believing in you - and so is every woman on this blog - we are holding each other up. HUGS - 

Love and Healing,

Billie

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member
    Sorry you had to join us

sorry you have to join us, but glad you found us.  This is a great place to be.  You will find information and encouragement.  It is also a good place to vent when you need to, and nothing is off limits.  "Ladies going through chemo" is a good thread to read through.  It will give you a lot of advise.  I am stage 4 and was diagnosed in Aug. 2012.  Had my 1st recurrence in Dec. 2013 and a second in Sept. 2014.  Tomorrow I am scheduled for Chemo #29.  I have many more good days than bad, and I plan to be around for a long time. And live each day that God gives me. 

It is Ok to be emotional and scared.  This is a scary thing, but you nwill find that you are much stronger than you ever thought you could be.

Hugs and prayers, Lou Ann 

• Jacjac2
    Jacjac2 Member Posts: 44
    Editgrl said:

So sorry, jacjac2

Chris

Chris, type of uterine cancer

Had uterine stage 2c almost 7 years ago. Have not had any issue. They are calling it recurrent endometrial. The other was red used in test results is Adenocarconoma. Like I stated all new to me. I had a colonoscopy Nov 5, that is where it was discovered. Metastasized to several areas, colon, liver, and upper abdomen. 

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,353 Member
    jacjac, my heart aches for

jacjac, my heart aches for you.  I am so glad some of our fabulous warriors have chimed in to share their experiences on this dark day for you.  It is ok to feel everything you are feeling, but please know you are not alone.  There is a world of women here who are happy to listen the days you want to cry, scream, anything.

We are here for you.  

Hugs

• Jacjac2
    Jacjac2 Member Posts: 44

jacjac, my heart aches for

jacjac, my heart aches for you.  I am so glad some of our fabulous warriors have chimed in to share their experiences on this dark day for you.  It is ok to feel everything you are feeling, but please know you are not alone.  There is a world of women here who are happy to listen the days you want to cry, scream, anything.

We are here for you.  

Hugs

Hugs

thank you for taking the time. I have not been in any type of forum in years. I see you have been on here for some time.  I hope to be able to share good experiences with others. 

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    Jacjac2 said:

Chris, type of uterine cancer

Had uterine stage 2c almost 7 years ago. Have not had any issue. They are calling it recurrent endometrial. The other was red used in test results is Adenocarconoma. Like I stated all new to me. I had a colonoscopy Nov 5, that is where it was discovered. Metastasized to several areas, colon, liver, and upper abdomen. 

I am so sorry the cancer has

I am so sorry the cancer has come back.  Did you have a total hysterectomy seven years ago with chemo and/or radiation?  

This is a good place to be if you have questions or just want to rage at the world.

Love,

Eldri

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    Jacjac2 said:

Hugs

thank you for taking the time. I have not been in any type of forum in years. I see you have been on here for some time.  I hope to be able to share good experiences with others. 

Jacjac2

Like other ladies have said... This is a wonderful group of women to be a part of. Everyone is open, warm and willing to share their experiences.

So sorry you are going through this. And, you WILL be able to share with others too!

I'm glad you found us.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• Sandy3185
    Sandy3185 Member Posts: 228
    So sorry to hear this!

Jacjac, what a devastating blow! At seven years you must have been sure that you had said a permanent goodbye to cancer. I hope your husband is supportive and can help you through this. Don't be afraid to put yourself first- sleep as much as you can, try to eat and, above all, stay hydrated. I know that I had problems with dizziness and fainting that were caused by dehydration. and please, let your doctor know if you are having any unexpected or severe reactions to your chemo.  You can do this! Sandy

• Gardena
    Gardena Member Posts: 102
    Jacjac2

I understand feeling tired of being poked and prodded and stitched! This process is so physically invasive and emotionally draining. But you are stronger than you know. You can not only endure this journey back to health, you can thrive. It's one foot in front of the other, one step at a time. You can do this. And this wonderful group of women will walk beside you. Sending you ((((big hugs)))). 

• Hi

Recurrance is a word that seems to be common in UPSC.  I'm so sorry you have this new diagnosis.  I'm just learning about our cancer, mine is stage 3. After my surgery my doctor said immediately that this is a sneaky cancer and has a high recurrance rate.  Boy he wasn't kidding.  But I do believe you (& possibly me) will beat it back.  The fact that each year, some cancers have new therapies gives me hope.  Although from everything I read, apparently the standard treatment for first line UPSC is the same as it was back in the "90's.  I do know they are coming up with some testing of the tumors to give them a targeted therapy.  Have they done any of that?  Hang in there, I'm sending you all my hugs today.  Nancy

• Soup52
    Soup52 Member Posts: 908 Member
    Journey beginning

Your case sounds similar to mine. I have one more internal radiation and then will see oncologist on the 11th when I believe he will say I should get the port before radiation. You said you were getting treatment to prevent blood clots. I had the shots after the surgery, but nothing now. Blood clots are a big concern for me as I had a pulmonary embolism 8 1/2 years ago a week after surgery when I donated a kidney to my daughter. I'm not looking forward to the hair loss either. Im not sure if my treatment is considered a cure either. I am clear cell grade 3C.

i have only posted here once before and probably in the wrong place as no one has acknowledged me.

• Soup52
    Soup52 said:

Journey beginning

Your case sounds similar to mine. I have one more internal radiation and then will see oncologist on the 11th when I believe he will say I should get the port before radiation. You said you were getting treatment to prevent blood clots. I had the shots after the surgery, but nothing now. Blood clots are a big concern for me as I had a pulmonary embolism 8 1/2 years ago a week after surgery when I donated a kidney to my daughter. I'm not looking forward to the hair loss either. Im not sure if my treatment is considered a cure either. I am clear cell grade 3C.

i have only posted here once before and probably in the wrong place as no one has acknowledged me.

Journey beginning

oops I meant before chemo not radiation. I should proofread!

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,677 Member
    Soup52 said:

Journey beginning

oops I meant before chemo not radiation. I should proofread!

Hey, Soup

sorry I missed your first post.  Glad you tried again.  Welcome to the group.

• Soup52 said:

Journey beginning

Good morning Soup

The hair loss wasn't as big of a deal as I thought it would be.  I got mine cut short before chemo, then had it shaved right before it should have started to fall out.  I ended up with a case of folliculitis after chemo, which I thought was due to the shaving, but since I have a new case of it after my third chemo treatment, I believe it is due to my immune system being low.  I have wigs (which I don't wear), really fun hats, which I do wear some of the time, but the most comfortable to me are pretied scarves.  Once I got past the "60"s look" (reminds of of my mom with a head scarf) I think I look fine.  And I often go without anything but a smile.  No one stares, everyone smiles back, and people say hi when passing.  I'm most concerned about getting my cancer cured, I believe I can live with the side effects, but I read from a lot of these wonderful women that cure is probably not a word to use, but stable, NED are!  Please post away Soup, we're here.  Hugs Nancy

• Soup52
    ConnieSW said:

Hey, Soup

sorry I missed your first post.  Glad you tried again.  Welcome to the group.

Thank you! I've had trouble

Thank you! I've had trouble logging in because I keep forgetting the password. I finally put it in my notes

• Soup52
    unknown said:

Good morning Soup

The hair loss wasn't as big of a deal as I thought it would be.  I got mine cut short before chemo, then had it shaved right before it should have started to fall out.  I ended up with a case of folliculitis after chemo, which I thought was due to the shaving, but since I have a new case of it after my third chemo treatment, I believe it is due to my immune system being low.  I have wigs (which I don't wear), really fun hats, which I do wear some of the time, but the most comfortable to me are pretied scarves.  Once I got past the "60"s look" (reminds of of my mom with a head scarf) I think I look fine.  And I often go without anything but a smile.  No one stares, everyone smiles back, and people say hi when passing.  I'm most concerned about getting my cancer cured, I believe I can live with the side effects, but I read from a lot of these wonderful women that cure is probably not a word to use, but stable, NED are!  Please post away Soup, we're here.  Hugs Nancy

Hair loss

i know the hair thing isn't my biggest concern. I just want to live! I am concerned about the lymphodema the dr said I would get but I don't believe I have yet. No one told me what to do about it and I know once you have it it won't really go away. Sorry, I'm a little vain and my legs are one of my better body parts, lol.

• Gardena
    Gardena Member Posts: 102
    Soup52 said:

Hair loss

i know the hair thing isn't my biggest concern. I just want to live! I am concerned about the lymphodema the dr said I would get but I don't believe I have yet. No one told me what to do about it and I know once you have it it won't really go away. Sorry, I'm a little vain and my legs are one of my better body parts, lol.

Hey Soup!

Welcome to this site. Really great information and support here; sorry we all have to meet under these circumstances,  just shows good can come out of bad. 

I thought I was fine w losing my hair, and during the two days it fell out in clumps was memorizing to me. But once I looked like a plucked chicken I asked my husband to give me a buzz cut. He gives himself a buzz cut every other week so is familiar with the job. I thought I would be fine, getting "cleaned up" as it were, but found I had a total melt down during the shave. Cried my eyes out. In retrospect, I think those tears were an accumulation of all the fear and stress I'd been under since failing ill. Turns out, I have a very nice shaped head and look good bald! I wear a beanie around my kids because my youngest is afraid to see me hairless. I really hate covering my head, but I get why she doesn't want to see my new look. I do wear a beanie at night to sleep,  just feels better on the pillow case. As for your beautiful legs... be vain! I think pride in our bodies helps us heal. 

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    Gardena said:

Hey Soup!

Welcome to this site. Really great information and support here; sorry we all have to meet under these circumstances,  just shows good can come out of bad. 

I thought I was fine w losing my hair, and during the two days it fell out in clumps was memorizing to me. But once I looked like a plucked chicken I asked my husband to give me a buzz cut. He gives himself a buzz cut every other week so is familiar with the job. I thought I would be fine, getting "cleaned up" as it were, but found I had a total melt down during the shave. Cried my eyes out. In retrospect, I think those tears were an accumulation of all the fear and stress I'd been under since failing ill. Turns out, I have a very nice shaped head and look good bald! I wear a beanie around my kids because my youngest is afraid to see me hairless. I really hate covering my head, but I get why she doesn't want to see my new look. I do wear a beanie at night to sleep,  just feels better on the pillow case. As for your beautiful legs... be vain! I think pride in our bodies helps us heal. 

Soup

Welcome to the club that no one wants to belong to! However, without the need... I would have never met so many wonderful women.

Sorry we missed your first post and I'm glad you tried again.

You will gain a lot of knowledge and support here.

Stay strong and don't hesitate to reach out for anything and everything!

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• Kvdyson
    Kvdyson Member Posts: 789
    Soup52 said:

Hair loss

Soup52 - lymphedema

Hi Soup, I haven't experienced lymphedema (yet) myself but I understand that wearing pressure compression stockings helps. Good luck to you and let us know how you are doing.