Staging

I've just found out that I have rectal cancer. I just had my endoscopic ultrasound and the Dx informed me that the tumor has not penetrated the wall and the lymph nodes are not involved. I still need to have a Pet Scan and CT scan. I'm asking why. Could the cancer have  metastasized to other organs without being in the lymph nodes or penetrating the wall. If not then why do I need the scans. Also how effective are   Endoscopic  ultrasounds In staging? I'm driving myself crazy not knowing....

Comments

• vtspa6
    vtspa6 Member Posts: 172
    Not knowing what is going on

Not knowing what is going on can drive you crazy.  You will need to do these scans, they can tell you all the answers.  Just hang in there until you get the results and answers! I believe these scans would be protocal for anyone that has a tumor.

• Photogal64
    Photogal64 Member Posts: 3
    vtspa6 said:

Not knowing what is going on

Not knowing what is going on can drive you crazy.  You will need to do these scans, they can tell you all the answers.  Just hang in there until you get the results and answers! I believe these scans would be protocal for anyone that has a tumor.

Vtspa6,
    thank you..... its

Vtspa6,

thank you..... its just the waiting, but what else can i do????? Thanks again!

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    I didn't get staged until I

I didn't get staged until I had my surgery and the tumour was removed. I was told they can't do it until then. Not sure why it would be dfferent for me. I didn't have any of those tests. But, yes, the not knkowing is the worst part. Because we always think the worst.

Jan

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Choices

I also got staged after my surgery; but of course there are folks who don't get surgery until after their tumour has shrunk, and I'm sure the Oncologist are still able to stage. 

That is really good news for you not to have Lymph node involvment and that the tumour is contained within the colon. 

I would definitely go with the CT Scan, just to be sure. I only had a PET when there seemed to be a problem with my CEA and the CT didn't pick it up.  Each Oncologist follows his own protocol, so its best to do what they ask, or, if you are seriously questioning the need, you could opt for a second and possibly third opinoin and see what those Doc's suggest. 

Good luck! Its a roller coaster ride for sure, and you can get off at the end a little wobbly, but it won't take long to get back to a new kind of normal. 

Sue - Trubrit

• lizard44
    lizard44 Member Posts: 409 Member
    I'm one of those

who got staged before surgery. After the rectal tumor was diagnosed following  a colonoscopy, the surgeon requested a CT scan with contrast to  see if the tumor had spread beyond the  colon.  The scan showed a 1.5cm spot on my liver, in addition to a couple of tiny spots elsewhere in my liver.  The surgeon thought the larger spot  might have been  a hemangioma or something else benign. He set me up with the medical oncologist to begin  chemoradiation before surgery to shrink the tumor in order to make  surgery easier since the  tumor was   an extremely short distance from the anal verge. The oncologist wasn't comfortable  with  not being sure about the liver spots and ordered a PET scan which showed that the larger spot  lit up pretty  heavily indicating that it was indeed  cancerous, so I  was immediately staged at Stage 4 and a  more aggressive chemo regimen without radiation was ordered. A subsequent  CT scan showed that both the rectal and liver tumors had shrunk considerably and there were no new tumors,  I then began chemoradiation with 28  radiation treatments and a 5FU chemo pump 24/5,  I finished up  yesterday, thank goodness! Another scan in a few weeks will   determine if and what kind of surgery  I'll get.   

I think it's better to go ahead and get the scans and  find out as much as possible early on, even though the waiting for the  scans and the results is not much fun.

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    lizard44 said:

I'm one of those

who got staged before surgery. After the rectal tumor was diagnosed following  a colonoscopy, the surgeon requested a CT scan with contrast to  see if the tumor had spread beyond the  colon.  The scan showed a 1.5cm spot on my liver, in addition to a couple of tiny spots elsewhere in my liver.  The surgeon thought the larger spot  might have been  a hemangioma or something else benign. He set me up with the medical oncologist to begin  chemoradiation before surgery to shrink the tumor in order to make  surgery easier since the  tumor was   an extremely short distance from the anal verge. The oncologist wasn't comfortable  with  not being sure about the liver spots and ordered a PET scan which showed that the larger spot  lit up pretty  heavily indicating that it was indeed  cancerous, so I  was immediately staged at Stage 4 and a  more aggressive chemo regimen without radiation was ordered. A subsequent  CT scan showed that both the rectal and liver tumors had shrunk considerably and there were no new tumors,  I then began chemoradiation with 28  radiation treatments and a 5FU chemo pump 24/5,  I finished up  yesterday, thank goodness! Another scan in a few weeks will   determine if and what kind of surgery  I'll get.   

I think it's better to go ahead and get the scans and  find out as much as possible early on, even though the waiting for the  scans and the results is not much fun.

In reality, with all the

In reality, with all the solid advice, all you can do is stay in the moment and hope for the best, no one knows what happens after, I did'n't, it does you know wht ? It sucks to spell on new years eve.......................

Dave

• Coppercent
    Coppercent Member Posts: 158
    testing

You need all the testing to get an accurate staging. They will not know where the cancer is until they run all of the tests. I had a colonoscopy where they found the tumor then a CT scan that showed the lymph node involvement. Surgery is the most accurate for staging but since I have rectal cancer and had chemo/radiation before surgery they can only do a best guess.  Cancer can spread without lymph node involvement.  Dont borrow trouble.  Address each issue as it comes.  Good luck. 

• Photogal64
    Photogal64 Member Posts: 3

testing

You need all the testing to get an accurate staging. They will not know where the cancer is until they run all of the tests. I had a colonoscopy where they found the tumor then a CT scan that showed the lymph node involvement. Surgery is the most accurate for staging but since I have rectal cancer and had chemo/radiation before surgery they can only do a best guess.  Cancer can spread without lymph node involvement.  Dont borrow trouble.  Address each issue as it comes.  Good luck. 

Thank you for your reply.... 

To everyone that has replied to my post Thank you!  You have made it just that much easier as I wait. And much more informed!!! 

• danker
    danker Member Posts: 1,276 Member

Thank you for your reply.... 

To everyone that has replied to my post Thank you!  You have made it just that much easier as I wait. And much more informed!!! 

Assume

If you just assume that all will work out just as you want, and then take it a day at a time.  It may be a bumpy road but is definately doable!!!  Good Luck to you.