CEA

hi

can anyone experienced CEA level to change significantly in short period - such as increasing from 11 to 14 in one week?

How can CEA change so rapidly?

Comments

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,315 Member
    Carcino embryonic antigen?

You posted in the prostate cancer section of the forum.

To my knowledge, the Carcino Embryonic Antigen test is not used in the diagnosis or treatment of prostate cancer. Hence, I advise you to post in the appropriate forum to get a knowledgeable response. But I can say that whenever a test raises doubt, it should be repeated.

• VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,641 Member
    Sudden increase in the CEA

Yes, one can experience a sudden increase in the CEA test (from 11 to 14 ng/mL in one week) due to several reasons, for instance; heavy smoking, bowel infection or inflammation, liver problems, etc.

In any case, the traditional test used in prostate cancer (PCa) issues is the PSA but doctors also recommend the CEA test in cases when PCa is thought to have metastasized to the lungs or liver. It would serve for diagnosing PCa as a secondary lung cancer which procedure would be followed with a biopsy. CEA is commonly used in the diagnosis and post treatment of intestine, rectum and lung cancer.

The normal level of CEA is less than 3 ng/mL. Higher CEA levels above 20 in asymptomatic patients may signify advanced cancer status (prime or secondary) therefore additional tests should be done to identify its type, aggressivity and spread. Image studies can help in the diagnosis with further information.

I hope my post is of help to you.

Welcome to the board.

VG

• Work24hr
    Work24hr Member Posts: 12

Sudden increase in the CEA

Yes, one can experience a sudden increase in the CEA test (from 11 to 14 ng/mL in one week) due to several reasons, for instance; heavy smoking, bowel infection or inflammation, liver problems, etc.

In any case, the traditional test used in prostate cancer (PCa) issues is the PSA but doctors also recommend the CEA test in cases when PCa is thought to have metastasized to the lungs or liver. It would serve for diagnosing PCa as a secondary lung cancer which procedure would be followed with a biopsy. CEA is commonly used in the diagnosis and post treatment of intestine, rectum and lung cancer.

The normal level of CEA is less than 3 ng/mL. Higher CEA levels above 20 in asymptomatic patients may signify advanced cancer status (prime or secondary) therefore additional tests should be done to identify its type, aggressivity and spread. Image studies can help in the diagnosis with further information.

I hope my post is of help to you.

Welcome to the board.

VG

Thank you VG

i did all the

Thank you VG

i did all the test including pet mri colonoscopy but all shows clean

i am wondering if this is because tumor is too much at advanced stage and cannot be detected yet through conventional diagnostic method - I heard that CEA can tell 6 months in advance before anything can be detected from PET

or

i am suffering from allergy and wondering if allergy can cause such a quick increase - from less than 5 to 15.  Then now CEA is going up and down between 11 and 15

• VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,641 Member
    Work24hr said:

Thank you VG

i did all the

Thank you VG

i did all the test including pet mri colonoscopy but all shows clean

i am wondering if this is because tumor is too much at advanced stage and cannot be detected yet through conventional diagnostic method - I heard that CEA can tell 6 months in advance before anything can be detected from PET

or

i am suffering from allergy and wondering if allergy can cause such a quick increase - from less than 5 to 15.  Then now CEA is going up and down between 11 and 15

PSA is proper to check for prostatic conditions

As commented above, the numbers can go up easily. In any case if you are just worried in having prostate cancer, then I would recomend you to get a PSA test for acertain of such possibility.

However, high PSA could also be due to an infection or a benign case of hyperplasia. Only a biopsy can exactly diagnose you with cancer.

Best,

VG