Big PSA jump aft undetectable

Pratoman
Pratoman Member Posts: 17

had surgery in January, 9 months ago. Surgical path was G7(3+4), negative margins, beg seminal vesicles, negative lymph nodes, (9 taken) no ECE, 5% of prostate involved by tumor, have had 3 UNDETECTABLE PSAs, all <.02. 

Today I got my 9 month PSA results , came back at 3.38! Is it even possible that ther could be a jump that high in 3 months from undetectable, with favorable pathology? 

My Drs PA says it's likely a lab error, and retook blood work, different lab. I'll have results tomorrow, but I'm panicked. 

Comments

• hopeful and optimistic
    hopeful and optimistic Member Posts: 2,339 Member
    Wish you well

could be lots of things, wrong name, wrong decimal point, if telephone, can be read wrong, etc

Good luck

• Pratoman

Wish you well

could be lots of things, wrong name, wrong decimal point, if telephone, can be read wrong, etc

Good luck

I got the lab results

I got the lab results online. 

I called the lab, and was told they checked the test to be sure it was MY results, and it was, so that's not it.

still I don't think this logically is even possible, to have a jump,from undetecta to 3.38 in 3 months. 

Crazy

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,284 Member
    Pratoman said:

I got the lab results

I got the lab results online. 

I called the lab, and was told they checked the test to be sure it was MY results, and it was, so that's not it.

still I don't think this logically is even possible, to have a jump,from undetecta to 3.38 in 3 months. 

Crazy

We understand your concern

Let's hope the repeat assay result will give you reason to relax

• Pratoman
    Old Salt said:

We understand your concern

Let's hope the repeat assay result will give you reason to relax

Repeat at different lab came back at 0.00 

Mistakes happen, but this was unconscionable. It wasn't an error in machine calibration, it was carelessness, I am contacting Quest in writing and asking for an official response. This should never happen

• hopeful and optimistic
    hopeful and optimistic Member Posts: 2,339 Member
    Pratoman said:

Mistakes happen, but this was unconscionable. It wasn't an error in machine calibration, it was carelessness, I am contacting Quest in writing and asking for an official response. This should never happen

Great news

Getting the new PSA is alway nerve racking. We have to be on the alert, to double check the results of all tests , not necessary limited to PSA. I have had wrong results presented to me in a different test that I had.........I had to drive 70 miles to my doc, to find out that the results were for a different person. I also had a clown doc trying to sell me extra treatments.....this was 6 1/2 years ago; I'm still angry.

Aditionally, sometimes the lab work is allowed to sit for a while, instead of being processed as it should,  which influences results.

• Swingshiftworker
    Swingshiftworker Member Posts: 1,017 Member
    Pratoman said:

Mistakes Happen

Glad to hear that it was just a mistake.  Undoubtedly unsettling but at least you got another test confirming past undetectable results.  If you paid for the bogus test out of pocket, I'd ask for a refund. 

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,803 Member
    Pratoman said:

Unbelievable

They made a similiar mistake twice ?  If so, it is indeed unbelievable. At a minimum, they should refund any charges. I think they should agree to lifetime testing for free.

• nepol
    nepol Member Posts: 29

Unbelievable

They made a similiar mistake twice ?  If so, it is indeed unbelievable. At a minimum, they should refund any charges. I think they should agree to lifetime testing for free.

@##$$

Who would want free life time tests from Quest? dump them!!!!! NEPOL