Scan prep

Jojo61
Jojo61 Member Posts: 1,309 Member

I have a CT scan coming up soon. I just received a blood work requisition in the mail. The only thing they are testing is my creatinine. Doesn't that seem odd? I know they basically just want to know ahead of time if my kidney is in good condition to withstand a CT scan, but don't you think they would want more information while they are doing it? Such as LDH levels, calcium levels, GFR, and hemoglobin?

Thanks for any input :)

Jojo

Comments

• Texasgranny38
    Texasgranny38 Member Posts: 24
    I agree, Jojo

It sounds odd that's all they ordered.  This prompted me to look in my patient portal at MDACC to see what they have ordered for me, but unfortunately the portal does not give a breakdown.  

I hope all goes well with your visit. 

Sending prayers,

TexGran

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member

I agree, Jojo

It sounds odd that's all they ordered.  This prompted me to look in my patient portal at MDACC to see what they have ordered for me, but unfortunately the portal does not give a breakdown.  

I hope all goes well with your visit. 

Sending prayers,

TexGran

I disagree

JoJo,

THey are only interested in whether you can tolerate the contrast before the CT, although mine would include a BUN test and BUN creatine ratio.

Icemantoo

• Allochka
    Allochka Member Posts: 1,060 Member
    icemantoo said:

I disagree

JoJo,

THey are only interested in whether you can tolerate the contrast before the CT, although mine would include a BUN test and BUN creatine ratio.

Icemantoo

Iceman is right, for guys

Iceman is right, for guys doing the scan only creatinine is important to see if you handle the contrast.

Urologists usually order more tests, but not scanning guys.

Good luck with CT. Uncle NED starts packing to travel your way :-)

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    Allochka said:

Iceman is right, for guys

Iceman is right, for guys doing the scan only creatinine is important to see if you handle the contrast.

Urologists usually order more tests, but not scanning guys.

Good luck with CT. Uncle NED starts packing to travel your way :-)

Only my GP does complete

Only my GP does complete blood work as I tend to be anemic and iron deficient. So that's regularly monitored. My oncologist only orders kidney function test: creatinine, BUN, and ratio. Perhaps for a CT scan you only need the creatinine. Wishing you the very best and yes, Uncle NED is heading your way from what I've heard. Hugs! xo

• SFBob
    SFBob Member Posts: 33
    Just Creatinine Makes Sense

I agree with Iceman, Allochka, and APny. For my recent CT Scan, they just wanted my creatinine level in order to be sure my remaining kidney could handle the contrast.

One related note: Assuming they go ahead with the contrast (which, per my urologist, makes a big difference in the scan's quality), make sure to (again, per my urologist) drink lots of water the day before, the day of, and the day after the scan.

Good luck with the scan. May NED arrive for a visit at its conclusion.

Bob

• cheatinlil
    cheatinlil Member Posts: 197
    SFBob said:

Just Creatinine Makes Sense

I agree with Iceman, Allochka, and APny. For my recent CT Scan, they just wanted my creatinine level in order to be sure my remaining kidney could handle the contrast.

One related note: Assuming they go ahead with the contrast (which, per my urologist, makes a big difference in the scan's quality), make sure to (again, per my urologist) drink lots of water the day before, the day of, and the day after the scan.

Good luck with the scan. May NED arrive for a visit at its conclusion.

Bob

Hi Jo Jo

Hi Jo Jo,

Keep us posted on your upcoming scans.  You are not alone.  We are all here foryou!

• Footstomper
    Footstomper Member Posts: 1,237 Member

Hi Jo Jo

Hi Jo Jo,

Keep us posted on your upcoming scans.  You are not alone.  We are all here foryou!

When is your scan?

Your such a great support and a rock on this board that I want to be sending good vibes your way when you enter the tube (these scans always remind me of Star Trek for some reason)

• Jan4you
    Jan4you Member Posts: 1,330 Member

When is your scan?

Your such a great support and a rock on this board that I want to be sending good vibes your way when you enter the tube (these scans always remind me of Star Trek for some reason)

ello Friend~
    I agree with Bob

ello Friend~

I agree with Bob and others that it is standard test at time of your CT.

Has your doctor also ordered any other labs in recent months?

I mean, I know that there is a test that picks up markers for new cancer

if  I got that right, per my doctor.

Yes, we're here for you. Getting close to 2 years.  Me too.

Let us know what else you need, hon.

Hugs, Jan

• Jan4you
    Jan4you Member Posts: 1,330 Member
    Jan4you said:

ello Friend~
    I agree with Bob

ello Friend~

I agree with Bob and others that it is standard test at time of your CT.

Has your doctor also ordered any other labs in recent months?

I mean, I know that there is a test that picks up markers for new cancer

if  I got that right, per my doctor.

Yes, we're here for you. Getting close to 2 years.  Me too.

Let us know what else you need, hon.

Hugs, Jan

"ello"...what is that? A

"ello"...what is that? A cockney accent? LOL

• mrou50
    mrou50 Member Posts: 389 Member
    Good thoughts

I don't know much about the blood work I just wanted to send you positive thoughts on your up coming scan.  

Mark

• Footstomper
    Footstomper Member Posts: 1,237 Member
    Jan4you said:

"ello"...what is that? A

"ello"...what is that? A cockney accent? LOL

Oi!

Nuffin wrong wiv a cockney accent me ole china!

• Jojo61
    Jojo61 Member Posts: 1,309 Member
    Hi everyone!
    What a wonderful

Hi everyone!

What a wonderful and lovely group this is - cockney accents and all! hahaha

I feel I have been very neglectful of this group in the last few months...but hope to participate more as things in my life settle down a bit.

I don't know when my scan is. I called the doctor's office to check (because I just moved and thought maybe things got lost in the mail). Her reaction was more like a "oh....not sure if I sent it/set it up yet". She told me to get the blood work done and then they would set up the scan, depending on what my blood work shows. I have an oncologist appointment set up for November 12 (which was set up at last scan)...but no scan appointment yet. It will be at least a couple of weeks from now. I am excited about this one. Two years. I think it is a significant one. If NED shows up, he is more likely to continue showing up. :)

Gonna put that champagne in the fridge!

Hugs

Jojo

• foroughsh
    foroughsh Member Posts: 779 Member
    Jojo61 said:

Hi everyone!
    What a wonderful

Hi everyone!

I feel I have been very neglectful of this group in the last few months...but hope to participate more as things in my life settle down a bit.

I don't know when my scan is. I called the doctor's office to check (because I just moved and thought maybe things got lost in the mail). Her reaction was more like a "oh....not sure if I sent it/set it up yet". She told me to get the blood work done and then they would set up the scan, depending on what my blood work shows. I have an oncologist appointment set up for November 12 (which was set up at last scan)...but no scan appointment yet. It will be at least a couple of weeks from now. I am excited about this one. Two years. I think it is a significant one. If NED shows up, he is more likely to continue showing up. :)

Hugs

Jojo

Jojo,
    My urologist usually

Jojo,

My urologist usually checks just ceratinine and bun to make sure my body can handle contrast and c.b.c and few more tests but my oncologist checks AST,ALT to make sure the liver is intact, ALP to have my bone checked, and cratinine,bun for the kidney function and some more that I don't remember now.

Hope your CT appointment is soon enough as waiting is hard. I have a good feeling about your comming CT. You're a survivor.

Forough

• nancybuck
    nancybuck Member Posts: 117
    Jojo61 said:

Hi everyone!
    What a wonderful

Hi everyone!

Hugs

Jojo

Hope your appointment is soon

Hope your appointment is soon so you can celebrate with that bubbly beverage. I think I will celebrate with you when you receive the good news.

Be well friend.

Nancy

• marosa
    marosa Member Posts: 334 Member
    nancybuck said:

Hope your appointment is soon

Hope your appointment is soon so you can celebrate with that bubbly beverage. I think I will celebrate with you when you receive the good news.

Be well friend.

Nancy

Sending good vibes

Sending good vibes your way Jojo!

• sblairc
    sblairc Member Posts: 585 Member
    Keep us posted on the date

When your scans are. 

Keeping you in my thoughts. I'm hoping for good news all around this board!!!!