Finally on the way to get this cancer blasted!

nancybuck
nancybuck Member Posts: 117
edited October 2015 in Kidney Cancer #1

Like many here, my cancer was discovered during a CT scan due to recurring UTI's and blood both visible and microscopic in urine. I am one of the very fortunate folks here, as my tumor is very small. Next Monday, October 19, 2015, I will have cryosurgery to blast the tumor to smithereen.  One or two night hospital stay is what I was told and easy recovery. Follow up scans thereafter. I am nervous as I have not seen anyone on this forum that have had this type of treatment, so I am not sure what to expect. I realize that most of you have had much larger tumors, so I am sure that is why. My urologic oncologist told us that the five year reoccurrence is the same whether I have a partial nephrectomy or the cryosurgery. Anyway, I keep all of you wonderful folks in my prayers daily and hope good things are in your futures. Think of me on Monday!

Comments

• foroughsh
    foroughsh Member Posts: 779 Member
    How do they do cryosurgery? I

How do they do cryosurgery? I haven't seen anybody either! I'll be thinking of you on Monday and am sure you'll come back with good news.

Wishing you successful surgery and uneventful recovery

Forough

• nancybuck
    foroughsh said:

How do they do cryosurgery? I

How do they do cryosurgery? I haven't seen anybody either! I'll be thinking of you on Monday and am sure you'll come back with good news.

Wishing you successful surgery and uneventful recovery

Forough

cryosurgery

Forough, this is done by a radiologist in the hospital. They use a CT scan to guide the procedure which is done with a hollow needle/tube and the freezing gas goes through it. It destroys the tumor.  I will be under a general anesthestic and hopefully only in the hospital a day or two for observation. We shall see. I am nervous but since my tumor is small and in a good place for this type of procedure, I decided to go with it. My  brother is a general surgeon and he was okay with me having this done.

Be well friend.

• Allochka
    Allochka Member Posts: 1,060 Member
    nancybuck said:

cryosurgery

Forough, this is done by a radiologist in the hospital. They use a CT scan to guide the procedure which is done with a hollow needle/tube and the freezing gas goes through it. It destroys the tumor.  I will be under a general anesthestic and hopefully only in the hospital a day or two for observation. We shall see. I am nervous but since my tumor is small and in a good place for this type of procedure, I decided to go with it. My  brother is a general surgeon and he was okay with me having this done.

Be well friend.

No matter how - the most

No matter how - the most important is to get rid of it and be healthy ever after :-) you are on the way to this goal, good luck with your surgery.

• suzymcdo
    suzymcdo Member Posts: 20
    Glad you have a path forward

Glad you have a path forward that you are comfortable with. Please let us know how it goes.

• nancybuck
    Allochka said:

No matter how - the most

No matter how - the most important is to get rid of it and be healthy ever after :-) you are on the way to this goal, good luck with your surgery.

Begone Big C

Yes, it will be gone on Monday, hopefully. Thank you for your good wishes Allochka

• nancybuck
    suzymcdo said:

Glad you have a path forward

Glad you have a path forward that you are comfortable with. Please let us know how it goes.

Thank you Suzymcdo! 

Thank you Suzymcdo! 

• Jojo61
    Jojo61 Member Posts: 1,309 Member
    nancybuck said:

Thank you Suzymcdo! 

Thank you Suzymcdo! 

I will definitely be thinking

I will definitely be thinking of you next Monday, Nancybuck! Try not to worry too much. Have everything done and ready at home before you head to the hospital, so that you don't have to worry about meals, laundry, etc. for a bit. Have some nice reading ready for you and some good movies, too!

Don't over do things after the surgery, as that can cause a hernia - and you don't want that!

Hoping for the best results and recovery for you!!

Hugs

Jojo

• Footstomper
    Footstomper Member Posts: 1,237 Member
    Jojo61 said:

I will definitely be thinking of you next Monday, Nancybuck! Try not to worry too much. Have everything done and ready at home before you head to the hospital, so that you don't have to worry about meals, laundry, etc. for a bit. Have some nice reading ready for you and some good movies, too!

Don't over do things after the surgery, as that can cause a hernia - and you don't want that!

Hugs

Jojo

Blast that bugger

And be rid of it forever! Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• nancybuck
    Jojo61 said:

Hugs

Jojo

Thank you Jojo! Such good

Thank you Jojo! Such good advice is very much appreciated. Wishing you well friend.

Nancy

• nancybuck

Blast that bugger

And be rid of it forever! Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thank you Footstomper

Thank you for the well wishes friend. Please know that I am keeping you in my prayers.

Nancy