Newly diagnosed with cervical cancer

Hello, my name is Pamela and I am 31 years old. I am new to this site. I was diagnosed with cervical cancer on September 8th. I moved away from Philadelphia and some of the best hospitals in February not knowing that I had cancer. I now live pretty far from top notch hospitals. I am very frustrated with all the waiting. I am getting a second opinion on October 22 and that appointment was made in September. All I know as of now is that I've had cancer for years, it's definitely in my pelvic lymph nodes, and oncologist I saw recommended radical hysterectomy, chemo, and radiation. I'm scared when I see new oncologist they will make me wait even more to start treatment. It's so frustrating and feels like they dont even care I have it. During all this I am working full time, going to school time, and have 2 children. I am a very determined person, it is killing me to just walk around not doing anything about this. Is all this waiting normal? Thank you 

Comments

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,352 Member
    Praftas, I am sorry you have

Praftas, I am sorry you have had to find us.  I hope you can find a doctor you trust.  As with any 'below the belt' cancer, I hope you have a gynecologic oncologist, as they specialize in these types of cancers.  

Also, there are some FANTASTIC women here, but there is also a great chat board on cervical cancer at the National Cervical Cancer Coalition Support Community:

https://www.inspire.com/groups/national-cervical-cancer-coalition/

You will have to register like you did here, but there are a lot of active conversations on cervical cancer.  I found them while looking for more information due to a friend of mine diagnosed with c-cancer and try to better understand her disease. 

I am sure some of the other wonderful ladies will chime in as well.  

• Air
    Air Member Posts: 15
    The Waiting

Hi Praftas,

My aunt was diagnosed with cervical cancer earlier this year (in April).  Unfortnuately, unlike you, surgery was not an option for her.  It seemed to take forever for her to finally get diagnosed--her drs appointments had been spaced, for whatever reason, about a month apart like yours--then after initial diagnosis, we waited about another month for a second opinion--which ended up being basically the same as the first.  Things happened very quickly after that.  Once we decided to go with the treatment plan that the oncologist suggested (radiation and chemo), it felt like everything came so much faster.  The waiting was absolutely awful; especially when all we wanted for my aunt to begin and start fighting this awful disease.  Stay strong.  God bless you as you go on this journey, and I'll be praying for you.

Air

• annett
    annett Member Posts: 45
    There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Hi Pamela, I too am sorry to hear about yor dx. I had cervical cancer 40 years ago in 1975. There is hope ! I have been healthy and clean for 40 years. I was dx at age 25. I had internal radiation treatment then 6 weeks later had a hysterectomy. However they did not take ovaries and tubes. I was also told then to stay away from hormone replacements. At age 65 I now have vuvlar cancer, which they said is the same cellular structure as the cervical cancer was. They seem positive they can take care of the cancer so I should come out alright. There is always a worry though as with all the waiting it is now stage 3. I have faith I did it once I can do it again. Let go Let God!  Prayers, hugs and Blessings to you and your family! Remember there is light at the end of the tunnel!

• Praftas
    Praftas Member Posts: 5

Praftas, I am sorry you have

Praftas, I am sorry you have had to find us.  I hope you can find a doctor you trust.  As with any 'below the belt' cancer, I hope you have a gynecologic oncologist, as they specialize in these types of cancers.  

Also, there are some FANTASTIC women here, but there is also a great chat board on cervical cancer at the National Cervical Cancer Coalition Support Community:

https://www.inspire.com/groups/national-cervical-cancer-coalition/

You will have to register like you did here, but there are a lot of active conversations on cervical cancer.  I found them while looking for more information due to a friend of mine diagnosed with c-cancer and try to better understand her disease. 

I am sure some of the other wonderful ladies will chime in as well.  

Hello. Love your profile pic

Hello. Love your profile pic by the way! Thank you for the link, I actually went and registered last night. I'm open to finding support anyway I can. I do have a gynecoloic oncologist, going to see a woman dr soon for a second opinion 

• Praftas
    Air said:

The Waiting

Hi Praftas,

My aunt was diagnosed with cervical cancer earlier this year (in April).  Unfortnuately, unlike you, surgery was not an option for her.  It seemed to take forever for her to finally get diagnosed--her drs appointments had been spaced, for whatever reason, about a month apart like yours--then after initial diagnosis, we waited about another month for a second opinion--which ended up being basically the same as the first.  Things happened very quickly after that.  Once we decided to go with the treatment plan that the oncologist suggested (radiation and chemo), it felt like everything came so much faster.  The waiting was absolutely awful; especially when all we wanted for my aunt to begin and start fighting this awful disease.  Stay strong.  God bless you as you go on this journey, and I'll be praying for you.

Air

Air,
    Im sorry you have to

Air,

Im sorry you have to watch your aunt go through tough times. I guess maybe right now is the "calm before the storm "' and maybe I should enjoy life before it completely changes, just hard to wait. I'm dreading surgery because I do not want to be in pain and I hate hospitals, but at least it will be a step towards health. Thank you for your kind words, you and your aunt are in my prayers

• Praftas
    annett said:

There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Hi Pamela, I too am sorry to hear about yor dx. I had cervical cancer 40 years ago in 1975. There is hope ! I have been healthy and clean for 40 years. I was dx at age 25. I had internal radiation treatment then 6 weeks later had a hysterectomy. However they did not take ovaries and tubes. I was also told then to stay away from hormone replacements. At age 65 I now have vuvlar cancer, which they said is the same cellular structure as the cervical cancer was. They seem positive they can take care of the cancer so I should come out alright. There is always a worry though as with all the waiting it is now stage 3. I have faith I did it once I can do it again. Let go Let God!  Prayers, hugs and Blessings to you and your family! Remember there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Annett,
    your post was so

Annett,

your post was so inspiring. I pray you can beat cancer again! Sometimes I can't help but wonder if some people wait longer due to type of Insuranc. I get mine through the state even though I work full time because my employer doesn't provide it. Id be lying if I said the thought that because I have this type of insurance is a reason for waiting hasn't crossed my mind

• ccfighter
    ccfighter Member Posts: 476
    Hi Pamela,
    i was diagnosed

Hi Pamela,

i was diagnosed with cervical cancer when I was 32.  I think I waited three weeks between diagnosis and hysterectomy.  Waiting is hard.  I am now 36 and still here.

please let us know if you have any questions or just want to vent.  We are here for you.  Hugs.