Time to retire and move to Florida.

icemantoo
icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
edited September 2015 in Kidney Cancer #1

I woke up one day in March after a long cold Michigan Winter and decided that after 72 years, winter was not for me anymore. Flew to Florida, purchased a small villa in Royal Palm Beach and embarked on a 6 month job of fixing up and selling our home we just moved into 45 years ago. One week from today Piper, Icewoman and I fly to Florida for good. We will be youngsters in a 55 and over community.

Not much to do once we get settled. I will still try and help a Newbie here and there on this board and others and try and make their journey a little easier than mine.

I will also putter around on Tripadvisor where I am a Destination Expert for Algoquin Park and I try and help people spot and enjoy moose in the wilderness.

Icemantoo

Comments

• Denisedh
    Denisedh Member Posts: 28
    Enjoy Florida!

72 years of michigan winters?  You earned your nickname Iceman!

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Denisedh said:

Enjoy Florida!

72 years of michigan winters?  You earned your nickname Iceman!

Michigan Winters

I got my name icemantoofrom the fact that both my father and grangfather were in the retail ice business selling ice to the natives in the summer.

Icemantoo

• Phredswife
    Phredswife Member Posts: 162
    Safe travels

Enjoy your retirement. Florida sounds lovelySmile

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member

Safe travels

Enjoy your retirement. Florida sounds lovelySmile

A new chapter; how exciting!

A new chapter; how exciting! May your move be smooth and painless. We'll be joining you in Florida by next summer, except a little farther south in Boynton. NY winters are wearing us down as well though we have nothing on your Michiganians :)

• Allochka
    Allochka Member Posts: 1,060 Member
    APny said:

A new chapter; how exciting!

A new chapter; how exciting! May your move be smooth and painless. We'll be joining you in Florida by next summer, except a little farther south in Boynton. NY winters are wearing us down as well though we have nothing on your Michiganians :)

I admire people who are not

I admire people who are not afraid to totally change their lifes, take 180 degree turns. I hope you'll like it. Never been to Florida (visited only New York in USA), but as I understand, climate is hot there and very different from Michigan. summer all year round :-)

• adman
    adman Member Posts: 336
    Welcome....

.....glad to have you in the hood. 

• APny
    adman said:

Welcome....

.....glad to have you in the hood. 

Adman, I guess you're also in

Adman, I guess you're also in Florida?

• adman
    adman Member Posts: 336
    APny said:

Adman, I guess you're also in

Adman, I guess you're also in Florida?

FL....

yes.

it's a 'love/ hate' relationship with me;)

• APny
    adman said:

FL....

yes.

it's a 'love/ hate' relationship with me;)

LOL, that's how I am about

LOL, that's how I am about New York :)

• jason.2835
    jason.2835 Member Posts: 337 Member
    Don't think I could do it...

The Iceman goes South!  Have to change it to Meltingmantoo.

One word....

MOSQUITOES.

HATE 'em.  

Very happy for you, though, my mom's cousin has a house in Crystal Beach in the Clearwater area (Gulf side).  Spent many family vacations there.  But it's the type of heat that I like to eventually leave.  You will have fun, though.  Good luck!

- Jay 

• Jojo61
    Jojo61 Member Posts: 1,309 Member
    I was wondering when you were

I was wondering when you were heading south, Iceman! I am so very happy for you!! It is going to be a very exciting chapter for you and your wife. Enjoy every minute! I love palm trees and am a little jealous. It is going to be quite different than Algonquin Park, but it is time for a change.

Safe travels and see you here soon!

Hugs

Jojo

• Kdemart15
    Kdemart15 Member Posts: 20
    That is so so great! Enjoy

That is so so great! Enjoy your new home and warm weather!

• aamdsi
    aamdsi Member Posts: 284
    No more winters?

It is almost too bad that you will be moving before we get really nice leaf color. 

As someone who still loves winter (even if A2 doesn't deal well with snow), I still need the season.  But understand your desire to fly south.

Here is wishing you well!  May all your drinks come with an  umbrella, and may the air smell of sunshine and suntan lotion!

• DYAN172
    DYAN172 Member Posts: 20
    Enjoy

Congratulations and enjoy!

• foroughsh
    foroughsh Member Posts: 779 Member
    icemantoo said:

Michigan Winters

I got my name icemantoofrom the fact that both my father and grangfather were in the retail ice business selling ice to the natives in the summer.

Icemantoo

A new chapter, a wonderful

A new chapter, a wonderful destination. Enjoy your retirement.Forough