Recovery

Kdemart15
Kdemart15 Member Posts: 20

i had my mass removed Tuesday the 25th.  Dr said mass was bleeding so he's sending it out for tests which I think he would have done anyways.. Can anyone tell me what recovery will be like.  I have a horrible headache and dizziness..is that common? Can't wait to get back to normal life. Thanks!

Comments

• Jojo61
    Jojo61 Member Posts: 1,309 Member
    Hi Kdemart15....look at you!

Hi Kdemart15....look at you! Online within 2 days of surgery! I am sorry I don't know much about the bleeding...but wondering if that has something to do with what stage the tumor is at. Recovery should be okay. Drink lots of water, walk around as much as you can. Headache and dizziness may be after affects of the anesthetic. You will be tender, and there is medication for that. But Jan used dry ice in a lumbar pouch (step in here, Jan?) and I think that would be a really great option.Wish I knew about that before I  had my surgery!

What kind of surgeon did you have? Please make sure that an oncologist who is specialized in RCC looks after you....including the pathology report you should be hearing about at your next appointment. Get as much information as you can get. Bring someone with you and have a list of questions you would like to ask. I always get really shy and don't ask nearly as much as I should. You should find out: stage, grade and size of your tumor as well as any other information you can. Get a copy of the pathology reports to keep for your records (also the results of your blood work).

Take care of yourself - don't do too much.

Keep us posted!

Hugs

Jojo

• Kdemart15
    Jojo61 said:

Hi Kdemart15....look at you!

Hi Kdemart15....look at you! Online within 2 days of surgery! I am sorry I don't know much about the bleeding...but wondering if that has something to do with what stage the tumor is at. Recovery should be okay. Drink lots of water, walk around as much as you can. Headache and dizziness may be after affects of the anesthetic. You will be tender, and there is medication for that. But Jan used dry ice in a lumbar pouch (step in here, Jan?) and I think that would be a really great option.Wish I knew about that before I  had my surgery!

What kind of surgeon did you have? Please make sure that an oncologist who is specialized in RCC looks after you....including the pathology report you should be hearing about at your next appointment. Get as much information as you can get. Bring someone with you and have a list of questions you would like to ask. I always get really shy and don't ask nearly as much as I should. You should find out: stage, grade and size of your tumor as well as any other information you can. Get a copy of the pathology reports to keep for your records (also the results of your blood work).

Take care of yourself - don't do too much.

Keep us posted!

Hugs

Jojo

Thanks jojo

thanks for responding jojo.  The pain isn't too bad but I'm on pain meds. Is these headaches that are driving me crazy.  Plus being cold but my body is warm.  I'm pretty sure no fever.  i plan on talking my husband with me.  He been though the process since day one.  I feel better now knowing a headache is normal.  I knew I could count on some responses on this board.  Thanks again

• marosa
    marosa Member Posts: 334 Member
    Kdemart15 said:

Thanks jojo

thanks for responding jojo.  The pain isn't too bad but I'm on pain meds. Is these headaches that are driving me crazy.  Plus being cold but my body is warm.  I'm pretty sure no fever.  i plan on talking my husband with me.  He been though the process since day one.  I feel better now knowing a headache is normal.  I knew I could count on some responses on this board.  Thanks again

Amazing you are already on the computer!

It's great that you are making such a speedy recovery!  Make sure you follow Jojo's advice about finding out all about your pathology report.  It a good thing to find doctors we can trust but we must get involved and educated about kidney cancer.  We must be a participant in our recovery and follow up and this can only be done if we are suficiently informed.

Keep up the good recovery!!!

• Texasgranny38
    Texasgranny38 Member Posts: 24
    Kdemart15 said:

Thanks jojo

Good advice from Jojo.  Just

Good advice from Jojo.  Just know that it gets better each day.  I  coughed a lot the first few days and it hurt my belly incision when I coughed, but was feeling considerably better in one week.  

Sending hugs and prayers for good recovery!

Texas Granny

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member

Good advice from Jojo.  Just

Good advice from Jojo.  Just know that it gets better each day.  I  coughed a lot the first few days and it hurt my belly incision when I coughed, but was feeling considerably better in one week.  

Sending hugs and prayers for good recovery!

Texas Granny

Headache and dizziness can

Headache and dizziness can also be the result of your painkillers. There are alternatives to the one you're taking if that is causing it. Check with your doctor. Perhaps you can switch or adjust the dosage. I also agree with Jojo on walking as much as possible. I did 5 minutes around my house every hour. Inside since it was winer with ice and snow. I hugged a pillow while walking and coughing or sneezing. Drink lots and use the breathing apparatus if they gave you one to keep your lungs clear. Finally, since your tumor was bleeding get a blood test to see that you're not anemic. That too can cause dizziness. Wishing you the best.

• Kdemart15
    APny said:

Headache and dizziness can

Headache and dizziness can also be the result of your painkillers. There are alternatives to the one you're taking if that is causing it. Check with your doctor. Perhaps you can switch or adjust the dosage. I also agree with Jojo on walking as much as possible. I did 5 minutes around my house every hour. Inside since it was winer with ice and snow. I hugged a pillow while walking and coughing or sneezing. Drink lots and use the breathing apparatus if they gave you one to keep your lungs clear. Finally, since your tumor was bleeding get a blood test to see that you're not anemic. That too can cause dizziness. Wishing you the best.

Thanks everyone

Thank you everyone for the replies.  It's so nic to know I can talk to people who have gone through the same thing as I am.  You all are so helpful I look foward to all the help and suggestions.  i have two small kids 18 months and 4. When do you realisticlly think I can take care of them full time?  Right now they are having sleepovers and staying the day at grandma and grandpas.

• Jojo61
    Jojo61 Member Posts: 1,309 Member
    Kdemart15 said:

Thanks everyone

Thank you everyone for the replies.  It's so nic to know I can talk to people who have gone through the same thing as I am.  You all are so helpful I look foward to all the help and suggestions.  i have two small kids 18 months and 4. When do you realisticlly think I can take care of them full time?  Right now they are having sleepovers and staying the day at grandma and grandpas.

Kdemart, I didn't realize you

Kdemart, I didn't realize you also had little ones. At the end of the first week I was doing laundry....I managed okay, but I was playing with fire. Don't do anything strenuous at the beginning as this can cause a hernia - which would mean further surgery! My biggest concern for you would be lifting your baby. Please be careful. Listen to your body. Ask your doctor for guidance.

Take care!!

Hugs

Jojo

• Kdemart15
    Jojo61 said:

Kdemart, I didn't realize you

Kdemart, I didn't realize you also had little ones. At the end of the first week I was doing laundry....I managed okay, but I was playing with fire. Don't do anything strenuous at the beginning as this can cause a hernia - which would mean further surgery! My biggest concern for you would be lifting your baby. Please be careful. Listen to your body. Ask your doctor for guidance.

Take care!!

Hugs

Jojo

jojo,
    thats gonna be a hard

jojo,

thats gonna be a hard one.  My daughter is a mommad girl.  Up down up down all day long but my family has been great and I've just been resting since I got home.  It's just my husband and I right now I'm hoping for a couple more days like this.  I do miss the kids a lot but it will be worth it in the end if I rest and heal the right way.

• Texasgranny38
    Texasgranny38 Member Posts: 24
    Kdemart15 said:

Thanks everyone

About Lifting

I was told not to lift anything heavier than 10 pounds until 6 weeks postop.  It was hard not picking my little grandson who was 13 months at the time of my surgery, but he was able to walk on his own and I would lead him to his highchair and give him a quick boost.  That was at about 3 weeks postop.  

You are blessed to have good family support.  The incentive spirometer (breathing device) is really important to your recovery.  I used it every couple of hours for about 10 days to 2 weeks.

Praying for an uneventful recovery and good strength.  

• Denisedh
    Denisedh Member Posts: 28
    I had my surgery the same day

I have had dizziness and a headache today that I think are due to the painkillers.  Trying to transition to over the counter stuff.  I was extremely nauseated right after bit less today.  Best wishes for your recovery.

• Kdemart15
    Denisedh said:

I had my surgery the same day

I have had dizziness and a headache today that I think are due to the painkillers.  Trying to transition to over the counter stuff.  I was extremely nauseated right after bit less today.  Best wishes for your recovery.

THe wierd  thing is I get a

THe wierd  thing is I get a headache when I'm not on it.  When the mess kick in my headache goes away. It's a nasty headache too.

• Kdemart15

About Lifting

I was told not to lift anything heavier than 10 pounds until 6 weeks postop.  It was hard not picking my little grandson who was 13 months at the time of my surgery, but he was able to walk on his own and I would lead him to his highchair and give him a quick boost.  That was at about 3 weeks postop.  

You are blessed to have good family support.  The incentive spirometer (breathing device) is really important to your recovery.  I used it every couple of hours for about 10 days to 2 weeks.

Praying for an uneventful recovery and good strength.  

I keep for getting about the

I keep for getting about the breathing thing.  I am horrible.  my husband was using it and playing around with it and did way better than me.

• Jan4you
    Jan4you Member Posts: 1,330 Member
    Kdemart15 said:

THe wierd  thing is I get a

THe wierd  thing is I get a headache when I'm not on it.  When the mess kick in my headache goes away. It's a nasty headache too.

Sorry for what you are going

Sorry for what you are going through, but glad you are getting help.

I would just run those symptoms pass your doctor's nurse or PA

Yes if you mix new opiates while you are still coming off GENERAL anesthesia

it gets harry for awhile. Remember, medications have half lives which means

it is slowly coming out of our systems at the same time we are ADDING on

wiht oral meds.

Also being dehydrated can cause some of these symptoms. But when in doubt

ask your doctor's office!

Feel better, Jan

• Ree_Maryland
    Ree_Maryland Member Posts: 161 Member
    Kdemart15 said:

Thanks jojo

Headaches

Glad all went well for you and now onto rocovery, yay, By the way pain meds sometimes causes headache, feel better soon ,