Rebuilding the myelin sheath to improve neuropathy issues.

Being that neuropathy seems to come in conjunction with chemo, and is reported to be a result of destruction of the Myelin sheath, being who I am, I had to do some investigating, and with googling, found that myelin sheath destruction is also the major component of ms. So, here's oodles of things on rebuilding the myelin sheath and some other articles titles from the same page.

Seemed danged encouraging to me.

How to Rebuild the Myelin Sheath
By Shannon Crawford, eHow Contributor

Neurons in the brain
The myelin sheath is a protective covering on the nerves in the brain. Damaged or destroyed myelin sheaths impede the nerves from sending messages to other parts of the brain. This results in loss of functioning to those areas of the brain. The most common acquired disease (non-congenital) that destroys the myelin sheath is Multiple Sclerosis. Although there is no cure for multiple sclerosis, there are drugs and therapies that help to rebuild the myelin sheath and help to return the brain to a normal functioning state.
Related Searches:
• Cleanse Diet
• Diet Healthy

Instructions
o 1
Reduce chemical and heavy metal toxins in your body. Lower the amount of mercury in the body from seafood sources as well as dental fillings. Limit your exposure to x-rays, insecticides and organic solvents. According to a review of research done by the University of Michigan, people with Multiple Sclerosis had higher than normal levels of these toxins in their bodies.
o 2
Consider a physician monitored detox. Detoxification allows the body to strip itself of accumulated toxins that may play a role in myelin sheath deterioration.
o 3
Increase essential fatty acids in your diet. Myelin is 75 percent fats and cholesterol, and it is 25 percent protein, according to the PMD Foundation. In theory, increasing essential fatty acids provides the body with the building blocks it needs to build and repair myelin as indicated by the University of Michigan Health System website.
o 4
Increase the body's intake of vitamin D. The University of Michigan reports that in animal studies vitamin D protects against developing Multiple Sclerosis.
o 5
Take a commercial product. According to the University of Michigan, Padma Basic is very effective in treating Multiple Sclerosis. The product is based on a traditional Tibetan herbal formula and may help rebuild myelin.

Read more: How to Rebuild the Myelin Sheath | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5275690_rebuild-myelin-sheath.html#ixzz1ngzYwElV

And here were some other articles on the same web page.
Related Articles & Videos

How to Protect the Myelin Sheath

How to Regenerate the Myelin Sheath

How to Repair the Myelin Sheath with Food

How to Keep Your Myelin Healthy

What Is a Myelin Sheath?

Nutritional Support for Myelin Sheath

Read more: How to Rebuild the Myelin Sheath | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5275690_rebuild-myelin-sheath.html#ixzz1nh03KDCg

Comments

• california_artist
    california_artist Member Posts: 816 Member
    Here's their article on rebuilding the myelin sheath with food.
    By Beth Ortega, eHow Contributor

Avocados contain essential nutrients for myelin sheath repair.
    The myelin sheath assists nerves with signal transmission. If the sheath is damaged, problems with memory, specific movements and functions are common. Certain auto-immune diseases and outside chemical factors, such as food pesticides, can damage the myelin sheath. For foods to assist in regeneration of this nerve covering, you must remove the damaging chemicals from the diet and lifestyle. In addition, you'll need specific minerals and fats, preferably obtained through a nutrient-dense diet.

Related Searches:
    Eating Healthy FoodsRaw Food Diet
    Difficulty: Moderately Easy
    Instructions

Things You'll Need
    Olive Oil
    Fish
    Nuts
    Cocoa
    Avocados
    Whole grains
    Legumes
    Spinach

Beans are a tasty way to add choline to the body.
    Eat foods high in choline and inositol. These amino acids are crucial to myelin sheath repair. Choline is found in eggs, beef, beans and some nuts. It assists in preventing fatty deposits from forming in the body. Inositol supports a healthy nervous system by aiding in the creation of serotonin. Nuts, vegetables and bananas contain inositol. The two amino acids combine to produce lecithin, which reduces bad fats in the bloodstream. High cholesterol and fats are known to prevent myelin sheath repair.

Yogurt contains B-5 and can be fortified with other B vitamins.
    Eat foods rich in B vitamins. Vitamin B-1, also called thiamin, and B-12 are physical components of the myelin sheath. Foods containing B-1 include rice, spinach, lintels and pork. Vitamin B-5 can be found in yogurt and tuna. Whole grains are rich in B vitamins and many cereals are fortified with them. Dairy foods are also rich in vitamin B. These nutrients enhance the metabolism, which burns fats from the body, and they carry oxygen.

Olive oil contains healthful fats that contribute to the composition of the myelin sheath.
    Add fatty acids to your diet. Fatty acids enhance the sheath's fat content. Flaxseed, fish oils, salmon, walnuts and kidney beans are dense with Omega-3 fatty acids. The myelin sheath is 70 percent fat, all of which comes from such fatty acids. Oleic acid is a major natural contributor to that content. Olive oils, avocados and nuts contain oleic acid.

Chocolate contains traces of copper that aid in lipid development.
    Add foods that contain copper. The myelin sheath regenerates using lipids, which can only be created using a copper-dependent enzyme. Without this assistance, other nutrients cannot do their job. Copper is found in lentils, almonds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds and semisweet chocolate. Liver and seafood may also contain copper in lower doses. Dried herbs such as oregano and thyme are an easy way to add the mineral to your diet.

Read more: How to Repair the Myelin Sheath with Food | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_7894361_repair-myelin-sheath-food.html#ixzz1nhbZnfQg

My note: It is not a perfect world and one can only balance the good with the not so good. Copper it appears has both beneficial qualities, it is necessary for cells and for myeline sheath rebuilding, low copper levels are also a limiting factor in cancer cell growth. Put another way, high copper levels feed cancer, but you need some for rebuilding. I personally don't know how much is the correct amount.

The best one can do is have copper levels checked, and adjust accordingly.
  • bots
    bots Member Posts: 53

The myelin sheath assists nerves with signal transmission. If the sheath is damaged, problems with memory, specific movements and functions are common. Certain auto-immune diseases and outside chemical factors, such as food pesticides, can damage the myelin sheath. For foods to assist in regeneration of this nerve covering, you must remove the damaging chemicals from the diet and lifestyle. In addition, you'll need specific minerals and fats, preferably obtained through a nutrient-dense diet.

Related Searches:
    Instructions

Things You'll Need
    Olive Oil
    Fish
    Nuts
    Cocoa
    Avocados
    Whole grains
    Legumes
    Spinach

Eat foods high in choline and inositol. These amino acids are crucial to myelin sheath repair. Choline is found in eggs, beef, beans and some nuts. It assists in preventing fatty deposits from forming in the body. Inositol supports a healthy nervous system by aiding in the creation of serotonin. Nuts, vegetables and bananas contain inositol. The two amino acids combine to produce lecithin, which reduces bad fats in the bloodstream. High cholesterol and fats are known to prevent myelin sheath repair.

Eat foods rich in B vitamins. Vitamin B-1, also called thiamin, and B-12 are physical components of the myelin sheath. Foods containing B-1 include rice, spinach, lintels and pork. Vitamin B-5 can be found in yogurt and tuna. Whole grains are rich in B vitamins and many cereals are fortified with them. Dairy foods are also rich in vitamin B. These nutrients enhance the metabolism, which burns fats from the body, and they carry oxygen.

Olive oil contains healthful fats that contribute to the composition of the myelin sheath.
    Add fatty acids to your diet. Fatty acids enhance the sheath's fat content. Flaxseed, fish oils, salmon, walnuts and kidney beans are dense with Omega-3 fatty acids. The myelin sheath is 70 percent fat, all of which comes from such fatty acids. Oleic acid is a major natural contributor to that content. Olive oils, avocados and nuts contain oleic acid.

Add foods that contain copper. The myelin sheath regenerates using lipids, which can only be created using a copper-dependent enzyme. Without this assistance, other nutrients cannot do their job. Copper is found in lentils, almonds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds and semisweet chocolate. Liver and seafood may also contain copper in lower doses. Dried herbs such as oregano and thyme are an easy way to add the mineral to your diet.

Read more: How to Repair the Myelin Sheath with Food | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_7894361_repair-myelin-sheath-food.html#ixzz1nhbZnfQg

My note: It is not a perfect world and one can only balance the good with the not so good. Copper it appears has both beneficial qualities, it is necessary for cells and for myeline sheath rebuilding, low copper levels are also a limiting factor in cancer cell growth. Put another way, high copper levels feed cancer, but you need some for rebuilding. I personally don't know how much is the correct amount.

Interesting!
    Claudia,

I find the foods on the list are things I just sort of automatically want to eat--not a craving actually, but close. Do you suppose my body is trying to tell me what to do to relieve my neuropathy?

Bots
  • kkstef
    kkstef Member Posts: 688 Member

Related Searches:
    Instructions

Things You'll Need
    Olive Oil
    Fish
    Nuts
    Cocoa
    Avocados
    Whole grains
    Legumes
    Spinach

Thanks for the posts
    Both posts are very interesting, and I especially appreciate the list of foods needed to repair the myelin sheath. I will pay more attention to those and see if I notice a difference. My feet are much better than they were 2 years ago, so I am thankful for that, but sometimes they just have a cranky few hours. Am wondering if that is a sign that my dietary requirements have not been met.

Claudia, in another post you talked about the smaller doses of chemo given more frequently and I really do think that makes a great deal ofo sense. I believe that smaller doses more frequently will help keep some of the nasty side effects at bay (neuropathy, low counts, etc.)

Thanks!

Karen
  • california_artist
    kkstef said:

Thanks for the posts
    Both posts are very interesting, and I especially appreciate the list of foods needed to repair the myelin sheath. I will pay more attention to those and see if I notice a difference. My feet are much better than they were 2 years ago, so I am thankful for that, but sometimes they just have a cranky few hours. Am wondering if that is a sign that my dietary requirements have not been met.

Claudia, in another post you talked about the smaller doses of chemo given more frequently and I really do think that makes a great deal ofo sense. I believe that smaller doses more frequently will help keep some of the nasty side effects at bay (neuropathy, low counts, etc.)

Thanks!

Karen

Karen
    BINGO! Baby Girl.

In California, both at Standford and in San Diego, doctors are just beginning to see the rationale of both more frequent, and therefore less concentrated chemo and the benefits of both lifestyle and diet on going for a COMPLETE RECOVERY.

I am getting very, very, excited.

The times they are a changing. : ~ )

Much love and warm squishy feelings you way my dear.

Claudia

You know, I think it is more that they are beginning to implement change, as surely some already have seen the need. I am sensing that they are willing to "buck the status quo" and do the absolute best for the people whose lives depend on their care. What do you think? Should we send them encouraging, supportive letters.

Those trying to keep things as they are can be very cruel to those willing to venture forth. Look at poor Folkman, who was shunned, ridiculed and generally thought the fool, and relegated to the basement for his "folly" and how they, the surgery, chemo, radiation crowd, finally came on board only after his wisdom was beginning to be nationally recognized. It was a puzzle completing process of sorts. He would give talks on the idea he was consumed with, wherein doctors would most often walk out thinking him a fool, but occasionally a doctor/researcher in the audience would have an ah, ha moment and very excitedly say, hey I have needed just this information to move forward on what I am doing. Or he would go to someone's lecture and a similar occurrence would happen. The book, Dr. Folkman's War is really fascinating. I could be spelling Folkman wrong. Just up, no coffee yet, that's right I drink coffee, think that four year mark has made me open my options with some something.

I would love to meet with you this year. Tomorrow, I am meeting Sharon from here, at a nearby mall. We are ever so excited. Will let you know how it goes. She says she is doing just swell.
  • JoAnnDK
    JoAnnDK Member Posts: 275

Karen
    BINGO! Baby Girl.

In California, both at Standford and in San Diego, doctors are just beginning to see the rationale of both more frequent, and therefore less concentrated chemo and the benefits of both lifestyle and diet on going for a COMPLETE RECOVERY.

I am getting very, very, excited.

The times they are a changing. : ~ )

Much love and warm squishy feelings you way my dear.

Claudia

You know, I think it is more that they are beginning to implement change, as surely some already have seen the need. I am sensing that they are willing to "buck the status quo" and do the absolute best for the people whose lives depend on their care. What do you think? Should we send them encouraging, supportive letters.

Those trying to keep things as they are can be very cruel to those willing to venture forth. Look at poor Folkman, who was shunned, ridiculed and generally thought the fool, and relegated to the basement for his "folly" and how they, the surgery, chemo, radiation crowd, finally came on board only after his wisdom was beginning to be nationally recognized. It was a puzzle completing process of sorts. He would give talks on the idea he was consumed with, wherein doctors would most often walk out thinking him a fool, but occasionally a doctor/researcher in the audience would have an ah, ha moment and very excitedly say, hey I have needed just this information to move forward on what I am doing. Or he would go to someone's lecture and a similar occurrence would happen. The book, Dr. Folkman's War is really fascinating. I could be spelling Folkman wrong. Just up, no coffee yet, that's right I drink coffee, think that four year mark has made me open my options with some something.

I would love to meet with you this year. Tomorrow, I am meeting Sharon from here, at a nearby mall. We are ever so excited. Will let you know how it goes. She says she is doing just swell.

differences
    There is a great and basic difference between the neuropathy in MS and our type of neuropathy.

In MS, the disease damage is found in the brain, resulting in the failure of the brain to transmit correct signals to the peripheral nerves; whereas with Peripheral Neuropathy the damage is to the peripheral nerves at the ends of the electrical system of the human body --- and the problem is in transmitting correct signals back to the brain. So the two conditions are VERY different (almost opposites) and different types of cells are involved, which is why the med for MS neuropathy will not help those with Peripheral Neuropathy.

There really is no way to re-build the myelin sheath.....sometimes it just happens, and there apparently is no explanation for why. But if the myelin sheath does regenerate, it happens within a year of being damaged or usually does not happen at all.
  • california_artist
    bots said:

Interesting!
    Claudia,

I find the foods on the list are things I just sort of automatically want to eat--not a craving actually, but close. Do you suppose my body is trying to tell me what to do to relieve my neuropathy?

Bots

Bots
    I do. That's why I listen to mine when it tells me to eat ice cream. Just kidding.

My father one time was in an accident, where his head hit the windshield. It appeared that he had no real damage and was sent home after going to the emergency room. For days afterward he found himself feeling compelled to go down a path through the woods to the market, where he would only buy brussel sprouts. When he went to the doctor he discovered that he had a slow bleed in his brain. Vitamin K, which is found in brussel sprouts, helps the blood to clot. They had to drill a hole in his head to repair the bleed, and to relievve some pressure that had built up from the leak, but the sprouts most likely kept him alive as it kept the amount of blood loose in his skull from increasing to a point where it pushed on his brain.

Ask a simple question, get a very long answer.

kisses,

claudia
  • california_artist

Related Searches:
    Instructions

Things You'll Need
    Olive Oil
    Fish
    Nuts
    Cocoa
    Avocados
    Whole grains
    Legumes
    Spinach

Here are some suggestions from a site devoted specifically to
    peripheral neuropathy-Their summation

Finally, a healthy, nutritious diet is not only essential for normal nerve function but also can help heal damaged nerves. Nutrients known to help proper nerve function include:

1.thiamin (B1), found in whole grains, seeds, beans, peas, pork, and brewer's yeast;

2.B12, found in dairy products, meat, poultry, and eggs - known to help proper nerve function;
    3.calcium, found in dairy products, leafy vegetables, and tofu; and
    4.potassium, found in spinach, squash, bananas, orange juice, milk, and other fruits and vegetables.

Please note the similarity of the diet for rebuilding the myelin sheath. Causes aside, nerves require certain nutrients to function properly.

Wishing my best to you all,

Claudia

Please if any of you try to incorporate these foods more regularly into your diet, would put a post up and let us know how it's going. Thanks

Added-

You know, I was just sitting here at 3ish in the morning, Jill emailed me and said she was up too, working of her work stuff, and I was thinking how much I enjoy these discussions, and all of you, and how I just love life. Thanks for thinking about things and sharing. We don't all have to agree, we just need to ponder and share the results of our pondering. Makes the world a better friendlier place--all this caring stuff.

I truly, truly believe that if we explore all our options, and are not only willing, but do make adjustments as needed, we will make it through this part of our life's journey.

Our bodies are simply trying to tell us something. We need to listen carefully in order to hear them correctly.

You know an interesting thing cancer cells do immediately, they stop talking to and sending signals to the other cells in their neighborhoods. Where once there was constant cell to cell communication, they cut off all contact of a rubbing shoulders sort, to their neighbors and go off on their own. We are still communicating.

Love ya
  • JoAnnDK
    JoAnnDK Member Posts: 275

Here are some suggestions from a site devoted specifically to
    peripheral neuropathy-Their summation

Finally, a healthy, nutritious diet is not only essential for normal nerve function but also can help heal damaged nerves. Nutrients known to help proper nerve function include:

1.thiamin (B1), found in whole grains, seeds, beans, peas, pork, and brewer's yeast;

2.B12, found in dairy products, meat, poultry, and eggs - known to help proper nerve function;
    3.calcium, found in dairy products, leafy vegetables, and tofu; and
    4.potassium, found in spinach, squash, bananas, orange juice, milk, and other fruits and vegetables.

Please note the similarity of the diet for rebuilding the myelin sheath. Causes aside, nerves require certain nutrients to function properly.

Wishing my best to you all,

Claudia

Please if any of you try to incorporate these foods more regularly into your diet, would put a post up and let us know how it's going. Thanks

Added-

You know, I was just sitting here at 3ish in the morning, Jill emailed me and said she was up too, working of her work stuff, and I was thinking how much I enjoy these discussions, and all of you, and how I just love life. Thanks for thinking about things and sharing. We don't all have to agree, we just need to ponder and share the results of our pondering. Makes the world a better friendlier place--all this caring stuff.

I truly, truly believe that if we explore all our options, and are not only willing, but do make adjustments as needed, we will make it through this part of our life's journey.

Our bodies are simply trying to tell us something. We need to listen carefully in order to hear them correctly.

You know an interesting thing cancer cells do immediately, they stop talking to and sending signals to the other cells in their neighborhoods. Where once there was constant cell to cell communication, they cut off all contact of a rubbing shoulders sort, to their neighbors and go off on their own. We are still communicating.

Love ya

thiamin - and more
    The last time I went to my podiatrist, he was excited about some Japanese studies he had read about neuropathy. The studies said that lowered levels of thiamin could contribute to neuropathy. So he sent me for a blood test. The busy Quest lab that I go to had never done a test for thiamin!

Anyway, the test showed that I have perfectly adequate levels of thiamine, so the B1 was not going to help me. The doctor said I obviously get enough in my diet.

By the way, he said that in order to get the amount of B1 needed (if one's thiamin level is low) would require many pills per day unless one got "prescription strength" B1.

I am getting plenty of all of the nutrients mentioned, and then some.

For my neuropathy, I have had massage, acupuncture, reflexology, electric stim, gabapentin cream, gabapentin pills, capsacin cream, hypnosis, physical therapy, anodyne therapy, acetyl L-carnatine, vitamins, supplements.......Nothing makes any difference. No myelin sheath is going to be regenerated at this point. Magical thinking has not worked either!

I also took all the things during chemo that were supposed to prevent neuropathy. Mine started within HOURS of my first treatment! The only thing I have to be thankful for is that I have no pain with these tingly, numb, icy, burning feelings.
  • 823wilmette
    823wilmette Member Posts: 1
    JoAnnDK said:

differences
    There is a great and basic difference between the neuropathy in MS and our type of neuropathy.

In MS, the disease damage is found in the brain, resulting in the failure of the brain to transmit correct signals to the peripheral nerves; whereas with Peripheral Neuropathy the damage is to the peripheral nerves at the ends of the electrical system of the human body --- and the problem is in transmitting correct signals back to the brain. So the two conditions are VERY different (almost opposites) and different types of cells are involved, which is why the med for MS neuropathy will not help those with Peripheral Neuropathy.

There really is no way to re-build the myelin sheath.....sometimes it just happens, and there apparently is no explanation for why. But if the myelin sheath does regenerate, it happens within a year of being damaged or usually does not happen at all.

differences
    joAnnDK

Thanks for your info.;it's exactly what I need to know & I would think all of us should know who are suffering from myelin sheath damage due to chemo.
    I also have post herpetic nerve damage due to shingles. I'll be going to a neurologist this week & hope to receive some helpful info.. Do you or anyone here know if a high ferritin level can contribute to nerve or joint pain?

Thanks.

JN
  • chachacha
    chachacha Member Posts: 25
    JoAnnDK said:

thiamin - and more
    The last time I went to my podiatrist, he was excited about some Japanese studies he had read about neuropathy. The studies said that lowered levels of thiamin could contribute to neuropathy. So he sent me for a blood test. The busy Quest lab that I go to had never done a test for thiamin!

Anyway, the test showed that I have perfectly adequate levels of thiamine, so the B1 was not going to help me. The doctor said I obviously get enough in my diet.

By the way, he said that in order to get the amount of B1 needed (if one's thiamin level is low) would require many pills per day unless one got "prescription strength" B1.

I am getting plenty of all of the nutrients mentioned, and then some.

For my neuropathy, I have had massage, acupuncture, reflexology, electric stim, gabapentin cream, gabapentin pills, capsacin cream, hypnosis, physical therapy, anodyne therapy, acetyl L-carnatine, vitamins, supplements.......Nothing makes any difference. No myelin sheath is going to be regenerated at this point. Magical thinking has not worked either!

I also took all the things during chemo that were supposed to prevent neuropathy. Mine started within HOURS of my first treatment! The only thing I have to be thankful for is that I have no pain with these tingly, numb, icy, burning feelings.

Just starting chemo
    I will be starting Chemo in 2 weeks. After reading all your information about neuropathy, I am frankly quite concerned. I can see that many of you are living with the effects of chemo including neuropathy and are surviving. Now I am going o question the dosage and frequency of treatments. Thank you all for giving me uch valuable information that will effect te rest of my life. If we can survive with a better quality of life- that would be a slam dunk!
    I will let you all know why my onc's reply is. Love to all of you wonderful gals.
  • AmyKathleen
    AmyKathleen Member Posts: 1

Bots
    I do. That's why I listen to mine when it tells me to eat ice cream. Just kidding.

My father one time was in an accident, where his head hit the windshield. It appeared that he had no real damage and was sent home after going to the emergency room. For days afterward he found himself feeling compelled to go down a path through the woods to the market, where he would only buy brussel sprouts. When he went to the doctor he discovered that he had a slow bleed in his brain. Vitamin K, which is found in brussel sprouts, helps the blood to clot. They had to drill a hole in his head to repair the bleed, and to relievve some pressure that had built up from the leak, but the sprouts most likely kept him alive as it kept the amount of blood loose in his skull from increasing to a point where it pushed on his brain.

Ask a simple question, get a very long answer.

kisses,

claudia

Your dad's recovery

Hi Claudia,

I read your short note with amazement and it gave me hope! I too was in a car accident where my head went through the window. Same symptoms as your dad. They did surgery to relieve brain pressure but my left side remained partly paralyzed. Recently, because of better diagnostics, we discovered the myelin sheath isn't transmitting signals to the left side properly.  Did he fully recover? Was paralysis an issue? I am hoping that by eating foods high in nutrients to repair the myelin sheath, I might regain some use of my left side. Did that happen with your dad? If so, what foods did he consume? Please advise. Thank you!

All my best,

AmyKathleen

• The ReBuilder

Has anyone used the Rebuilder, it is like the Tens in that it uses low amp electrical impulses to regenerate Myelin for Peripheral Neuropathy caused by Chemotherapy.  In August I finished my 6 months of Chemo for colon cancer and have been using it for a short while.  I take supplements as well to aid in the repair, but was wondering if anyone has used this with any sucess?  It was recommended by a doctor at The Cancer Treatment Center of America in Georgia. thanks

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,352 Member
    Hey Brian, this is an older

Hey Brian, this is an older thread, and I am fortunate not to have had any problems with neuropathy, but I am sure others who come across this might find it very helpful! 

• oldbeauty
    oldbeauty Member Posts: 366 Member

The ReBuilder

Has anyone used the Rebuilder, it is like the Tens in that it uses low amp electrical impulses to regenerate Myelin for Peripheral Neuropathy caused by Chemotherapy.  In August I finished my 6 months of Chemo for colon cancer and have been using it for a short while.  I take supplements as well to aid in the repair, but was wondering if anyone has used this with any sucess?  It was recommended by a doctor at The Cancer Treatment Center of America in Georgia. thanks

Yes

Actually, I went for a new consult to get a Rx for physical therapy to help with balance issues due to neuropathy.  One of the doctor's recommendations was to try a Tens-like therapy.  As soon as the machine is delivered, I will go learn how to use it.  She also prescribed an orthotic to help my gait issue that has developed, as well as rigorous physical therapy.  I also tried acupuncture and I may go for another course in the new year.  We'll see how it goes. A friend also urges me to take Alpha Lipoic Acid and I will ask about that next time I see the doctor.  Best wishes, Oldbeauty

• Violet123
    Violet123 Member Posts: 28 Member
    oldbeauty said:

Yes

Actually, I went for a new consult to get a Rx for physical therapy to help with balance issues due to neuropathy.  One of the doctor's recommendations was to try a Tens-like therapy.  As soon as the machine is delivered, I will go learn how to use it.  She also prescribed an orthotic to help my gait issue that has developed, as well as rigorous physical therapy.  I also tried acupuncture and I may go for another course in the new year.  We'll see how it goes. A friend also urges me to take Alpha Lipoic Acid and I will ask about that next time I see the doctor.  Best wishes, Oldbeauty

Be careful with the TENS like

Be careful with the TENS like treatment.   One of the contraindications to the electrical current is a recent history of cancer.

• oldbeauty
    Violet123 said:

Be careful with the TENS like

Be careful with the TENS like treatment.   One of the contraindications to the electrical current is a recent history of cancer.

More info?

Is there a source you can guide me to read about this contraindication?  Thanks for any help.  Best wishes, Oldbeauty

• Violet123
    exercise for chemo induced peripheral neuropathy

An article about exercise benefits for chemotherapy-induced Peripheral Neuropathy From oncology nurse advisor.  See attached link.

http://www.oncologynurseadvisor.com/side-effect-management/exercise-reduces-severity-of-cipn/article/718861/

• Violet123
    oldbeauty said:

More info?

Is there a source you can guide me to read about this contraindication?  Thanks for any help.  Best wishes, Oldbeauty

Link to Grid of contraindications

I found a link for modalities such as TENS, and this one site said that it is advised to avoid use where the malignancy is/was.  With this cancer, it seems like it can travel to other locations such as bone, lung, etc.  I also found a link for exercise benefits for Chemo Induced Peripheral neuropathy and posted it on this page as well. Hope this helps

http://www.electrotherapy.org/Assets/Downloads/contraindications grid march 07.pdf

• oldbeauty
    Violet123 said:

Link to Grid of contraindications

I found a link for modalities such as TENS, and this one site said that it is advised to avoid use where the malignancy is/was.  With this cancer, it seems like it can travel to other locations such as bone, lung, etc.  I also found a link for exercise benefits for Chemo Induced Peripheral neuropathy and posted it on this page as well. Hope this helps

http://www.electrotherapy.org/Assets/Downloads/contraindications grid march 07.pdf

Thanks

I found such info also.  I have no measurable tumors now and never had any malignancy in my legs/toes.  Plus, I have a good doctor who knows of my diagnosis and issue.  I think I'll go ahead with the unit to see if it provides any benefit. It is hoped that by stimulating circulation I will experience nerve regrowth.  We'll see.  Thanks again for your help.  Best wishes, Oldbeauty