Going in for partial Neph next month - scared as heck

Comments

• Nana4life
    Nana4life Member Posts: 78 Member
    HH431 said:

Got home yesterday - surgery

Got home yesterday - surgery went very successfully. :)  I spent two nights.  

I am very sore and tired .The night after the surgery I got zero sleep because of these things that massage your lower legs to help prevent any blood clotting.  I couldn't sleep with them.  Not even a minute.  The next day I was on blood thinner so didn't need them.    But you want to know the worst pain right now besides the incisions and sore abs?  My uvula - that hangs in the back of my throat is really inflamed and hurting from the tube during surgery. It's about an inch long right now, very and touches the back of my throat - no exaggeration.  Initially I was gagging on it times and can feel it on the back of my tounge. I'm told it was return to normal.  It better happen fast or else I getting an ENT to remove it (which I read is a simple outpatient procedure).  I've been using Moltrin 600mg every 8 hours and gargling with warm salt water and Benedryl.  Trying to east smaller, softer meals too.  I've got Oxy here if the pain gets real bad, but haven't felt the need for it.  I am sitting up here at my computer desk in chair as I type and have about 3-4 pain out of 10, but I am fine with that.  If I lie flat it's about 1 out of 10.

My surgeon said he couldn't be more pleased with this surgery.  He's done more partial robotics nephs surgeries than anyone in the world.  But he had considered doing a radical though as it was more complex than the ctscan showed.  The tumor ran very deep, but he said he went even deeper to ensure all of it was gone.  Deeper than technically needed if I recall.  It was growing into the renal sinus, so some of that I guess was removed and some of it reconstructed basically.  He said the pathology of it will be back next week, but that it doesn't matter a lot because whatever it was is completely gone.  I think he studied it for an hour afterwards to make sure everything was good.  I also recall he studies it for an hour before even cutting into it.  Sorry, brain a little foggy still from everything. lol  Blood work and tests remained good the entire time and was off the catherder pretty fast.  My heart rate is a bit elevated, but common given what my body has gone through.

The kidney has about 80% of its initially funtionality and that within 6 months my blood work would not even indicate I ever lost any kidney he told me.

Yeah

Glad to hear all went well. Just as an FYI. Be very mindful how you move. I was healing wonderfully but strained a muscle so I had some pretty intense pain because it. Doctor says to be more mindful of how I get up and walk around. No bending over or krinching while walking and getting up and down. breathe into your pain and take your time, stand up tall. Easy to say I know but trust me. I learned the hard way not to rush things. Sorry about your throat. But all in all sounds like youre doing well.

So so happy youve gotten to the other side now. God speed on your recovery.

nana4life

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Piece of cake

HH,

Sounds as good as can be given the circumstances. May your surgery and recovery remain uneventful.

icemantoo

• fightr
    fightr Member Posts: 10 Member
    HH431 said:

I am very sore and tired .The night after the surgery I got zero sleep because of these things that massage your lower legs to help prevent any blood clotting.  I couldn't sleep with them.  Not even a minute.  The next day I was on blood thinner so didn't need them.    But you want to know the worst pain right now besides the incisions and sore abs?  My uvula - that hangs in the back of my throat is really inflamed and hurting from the tube during surgery. It's about an inch long right now, very and touches the back of my throat - no exaggeration.  Initially I was gagging on it times and can feel it on the back of my tounge. I'm told it was return to normal.  It better happen fast or else I getting an ENT to remove it (which I read is a simple outpatient procedure).  I've been using Moltrin 600mg every 8 hours and gargling with warm salt water and Benedryl.  Trying to east smaller, softer meals too.  I've got Oxy here if the pain gets real bad, but haven't felt the need for it.  I am sitting up here at my computer desk in chair as I type and have about 3-4 pain out of 10, but I am fine with that.  If I lie flat it's about 1 out of 10.

My surgeon said he couldn't be more pleased with this surgery.  He's done more partial robotics nephs surgeries than anyone in the world.  But he had considered doing a radical though as it was more complex than the ctscan showed.  The tumor ran very deep, but he said he went even deeper to ensure all of it was gone.  Deeper than technically needed if I recall.  It was growing into the renal sinus, so some of that I guess was removed and some of it reconstructed basically.  He said the pathology of it will be back next week, but that it doesn't matter a lot because whatever it was is completely gone.  I think he studied it for an hour afterwards to make sure everything was good.  I also recall he studies it for an hour before even cutting into it.  Sorry, brain a little foggy still from everything. lol  Blood work and tests remained good the entire time and was off the catherder pretty fast.  My heart rate is a bit elevated, but common given what my body has gone through.

The kidney has about 80% of its initially funtionality and that within 6 months my blood work would not even indicate I ever lost any kidney he told me.

That's great news, you'll

That's great news, you'll recover soon. I'm already 4 weeks post-surgery, and feel perfectly fine. I had to work on the mental healing more than the physical healing. I hope your recovery will be smooth and quick. 

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    icemantoo said:

Piece of cake

HH,

Sounds as good as can be given the circumstances. May your surgery and recovery remain uneventful.

icemantoo

I’m so glad it’s over and

I’m so glad it’s over and that you’re recovering except for your sore throat. I didn’t have a tube down my throat. What was the purpose?

Make sure you do breathing exercises and walk a lot. I held a pillow against me while I walked and it also helped if I had to sneeze or cough. Wishing you the best and hope throat swelling goes down soon.

• Talmidah
    Talmidah Member Posts: 25
    Your experience gives me confidence

I am glad to hear the surgery went well, and hope you continue to have a good recovery.  My surgery is scheduled for June 25 and I have increasing confidence every day that it will go as expected.  Keep up the good work.

• HH431
    HH431 Member Posts: 41
    APny said:

I’m so glad it’s over and

I’m so glad it’s over and that you’re recovering except for your sore throat. I didn’t have a tube down my throat. What was the purpose?

Make sure you do breathing exercises and walk a lot. I held a pillow against me while I walked and it also helped if I had to sneeze or cough. Wishing you the best and hope throat swelling goes down soon.

Yep good suggestions.
    Are you

Yep good suggestions.

Are you sure you didn't have a tube put down your throat?  Pretty much standard for any surgery with anthesia I thought.  The reason is, just in case you were to vomit during surgery as that could be dangerous.

• HH431
    Talmidah said:

Your experience gives me confidence

I am glad to hear the surgery went well, and hope you continue to have a good recovery.  My surgery is scheduled for June 25 and I have increasing confidence every day that it will go as expected.  Keep up the good work.

Thank you and it will go very

Thank you and it will go very well!  And your confidence will keep increasing through your surgery.  As scared I was when I started this thread, I would say the last week or so I was becoming less afraid.  I really wasn't even that nervous as I was getting prepared for surgery that morning.  I had fully accepted the surgery and trusted the team and my surgeon.  I felt I was with the best people and I had to get this thing out of me cancerous or not.

It was funny how fast I was knocked out.  After the second inhale, I was out!  When I first woke-up (3.5 to 4 hours later I think it was?) I felt I had just come out of a deep nap at some unfamilar place.  I then realized a few seconds later I had gone through the surgery.  I asked her how it went and she said, "really well".  About 3-4 seconds later I asked again. LOL  Similar response.

• APny
    HH431 said:

Yep good suggestions.
    Are you

Yep good suggestions.

Are you sure you didn't have a tube put down your throat?  Pretty much standard for any surgery with anthesia I thought.  The reason is, just in case you were to vomit during surgery as that could be dangerous.

Actually, no I'm not

Actually, no I'm not positive. I had no sore throat at all and so I assumed I didn't have one. But I don't think it's standard for every surgery. I think they can also use a laryngeal airway mask. I'll have to ask next time I have my checkup.

• foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    HH431 said:

Thank you and it will go very

Thank you and it will go very well!  And your confidence will keep increasing through your surgery.  As scared I was when I started this thread, I would say the last week or so I was becoming less afraid.  I really wasn't even that nervous as I was getting prepared for surgery that morning.  I had fully accepted the surgery and trusted the team and my surgeon.  I felt I was with the best people and I had to get this thing out of me cancerous or not.

It was funny how fast I was knocked out.  After the second inhale, I was out!  When I first woke-up (3.5 to 4 hours later I think it was?) I felt I had just come out of a deep nap at some unfamilar place.  I then realized a few seconds later I had gone through the surgery.  I asked her how it went and she said, "really well".  About 3-4 seconds later I asked again. LOL  Similar response.

When I woke up from surgery

I told them that I was James Bond. I told them that I had work to do and had to get to the local high school to do it. I insisted. They thought I was going to have the "DT's". Later I informed them that I have very vivid dreams and I could tell them almost anything after awakening. My sister and daughter are the same way. We laugh like hell sharing our realistic technicolor mind trips. Now I warn them in advance.

• JoanneNH
    JoanneNH Member Posts: 115
    HH431 said:

"He said the pathology of it

"He said the pathology of it will be back next week, but that it doesn't matter a lot because whatever it was is completely gone."

Yes, it does matter.  Even if it "is completely gone," if it turns out to be cancerous you will need to have periodic follow-up.

• HH431
    foxhd said:

When I woke up from surgery

I told them that I was James Bond. I told them that I had work to do and had to get to the local high school to do it. I insisted. They thought I was going to have the "DT's". Later I informed them that I have very vivid dreams and I could tell them almost anything after awakening. My sister and daughter are the same way. We laugh like hell sharing our realistic technicolor mind trips. Now I warn them in advance.

Is it normal to still be very

Is it normal to still be very fatigued after 6 days from the surgery for a partial neph?

I am just dragging still.  The incisions and sore throat feel a tad better - but still rather hurt - but not that too bad.  I mean I can feel a little improvement.

But when do energy levels start to come up a bit more?  I don't recall my fatigue levels being like this although this is my first surgery.

I did a 12 minute slow walk on my treadmill today - and napped for two hours afterwards.  I was just beat. lol

I'm sleeping about 7-8 hours at night, 2-3 hour afternoon naps...and still tired.

I was looking at my blood work online prior and after surgery.  When I left the hospital, my red blood count and Hemoglobin were a bit low but I guess that is normal after surgery?

Maybe I am expecting a little too much from myself too soon?  Some parts of the day I feel better than others.

One thing for sure: my appetite has increased a lot the last few days.  I suppose that is my body signaling for energy for further/needed repair.

• APny
    HH431 said:

Is it normal to still be very

Is it normal to still be very fatigued after 6 days from the surgery for a partial neph?

I am just dragging still.  The incisions and sore throat feel a tad better - but still rather hurt - but not that too bad.  I mean I can feel a little improvement.

But when do energy levels start to come up a bit more?  I don't recall my fatigue levels being like this although this is my first surgery.

I did a 12 minute slow walk on my treadmill today - and napped for two hours afterwards.  I was just beat. lol

I'm sleeping about 7-8 hours at night, 2-3 hour afternoon naps...and still tired.

I was looking at my blood work online prior and after surgery.  When I left the hospital, my red blood count and Hemoglobin were a bit low but I guess that is normal after surgery?

Maybe I am expecting a little too much from myself too soon?  Some parts of the day I feel better than others.

One thing for sure: my appetite has increased a lot the last few days.  I suppose that is my body signaling for energy for further/needed repair.

I was told to stay off the

I was told to stay off the treadmill for three weeks so I just walked around my house (it was winter and snow/ice outside) for 5 minutes every hour. I would check with your doc about that treadmill.

But yeah, fatigue, low blood count, I had the same issues. But do get another blood test from your GP to make sure you're not lower than after surgery. Anemia will definitely fatigue the heck out of you.

You're not even a week out of surgery so it's perfectly normal to be tired and draggy. I didn't nap during the day but I was never a napper anyway. I think walking more often does build up your strength faster so maybe try that instead of the treadmill. Just walk around your block, or even your house, frequently.

• HH431
    APny said:

I was told to stay off the

I was told to stay off the treadmill for three weeks so I just walked around my house (it was winter and snow/ice outside) for 5 minutes every hour. I would check with your doc about that treadmill.

But yeah, fatigue, low blood count, I had the same issues. But do get another blood test from your GP to make sure you're not lower than after surgery. Anemia will definitely fatigue the heck out of you.

You're not even a week out of surgery so it's perfectly normal to be tired and draggy. I didn't nap during the day but I was never a napper anyway. I think walking more often does build up your strength faster so maybe try that instead of the treadmill. Just walk around your block, or even your house, frequently.

Yeah, I will call my GP

Yeah, I will call my GP today.  I have a follow-up meeting with my surgeon on July 9th also.   

The treadmill setting was on the lowest point - which is equivalent to just slow walking really.  But just moving around the house for 5 min periodically I think would be good.

I've never been a big napper, but it just hits me in the afternoon.

My uvula at the back of my throat is not nearly as red as it was, but still noticably larger.  I assume that just takes more time to heal.  Gargling with warm salt water after each meal seems to help.

I would think the increased appetite is a good sign too?  What's the best way to drive your red blood count, hemoglobin, etc back to normal?

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    HH431 said:

Yeah, I will call my GP

Yeah, I will call my GP today.  I have a follow-up meeting with my surgeon on July 9th also.   

The treadmill setting was on the lowest point - which is equivalent to just slow walking really.  But just moving around the house for 5 min periodically I think would be good.

I've never been a big napper, but it just hits me in the afternoon.

My uvula at the back of my throat is not nearly as red as it was, but still noticably larger.  I assume that just takes more time to heal.  Gargling with warm salt water after each meal seems to help.

I would think the increased appetite is a good sign too?  What's the best way to drive your red blood count, hemoglobin, etc back to normal?

Six days out

HH,

You just had major abdominal surgery. At 6 days out your recovery is just beginning. As for me it was about 6 weeks still I felt "normal", but I was still weak. Don't overdue it. Each day will get a little better with maybe a bad day in between.

Icemantoo

• APny
    icemantoo said:

Six days out

HH,

You just had major abdominal surgery. At 6 days out your recovery is just beginning. As for me it was about 6 weeks still I felt "normal", but I was still weak. Don't overdue it. Each day will get a little better with maybe a bad day in between.

Icemantoo

Yes, increased appetite is a

Yes, increased appetite is a very good sign. I had zero appetite for nearly a week and could barely force down some toast and soft boiled eggs. Maybe a few bites and I was done. Don't do anything on your own regarding your hemoglobin; you may only be slightly below normal which is expected after surgery. No matter how good the surgeon there will always be some blood loss. What's important is that it doesn't keep dropping so get a blood test to compare levels to post surgery. I did develop anemia and my doctor put me on 45 mg. slow Fe, which is an over the counter iron pill. But don't take it or anything else unless you're anemic and your doctor recommends it.

• HH431
    APny said:

Yes, increased appetite is a

Yes, increased appetite is a very good sign. I had zero appetite for nearly a week and could barely force down some toast and soft boiled eggs. Maybe a few bites and I was done. Don't do anything on your own regarding your hemoglobin; you may only be slightly below normal which is expected after surgery. No matter how good the surgeon there will always be some blood loss. What's important is that it doesn't keep dropping so get a blood test to compare levels to post surgery. I did develop anemia and my doctor put me on 45 mg. slow Fe, which is an over the counter iron pill. But don't take it or anything else unless you're anemic and your doctor recommends it.

My Hemoglobin was 11 when I

My Hemoglobin was 11 when I left the hosptial on Thursday; it was 14 before I went in.  Red blood count at 3.36 when I left; 4.35 when I went in.

I'm also now noticing some pain in the kidney area that  had the surgery...I didn't have any there for the first few days after surgery....it was all abdominal and throat.  I imagine that is to be expected.

It's weird I have this long red mark in the skin that is almost internal on the skin in the kidney area I imagine from the partial neph...as that skin is lifted to do the surgery.

• APny
    HH431 said:

My Hemoglobin was 11 when I

My Hemoglobin was 11 when I left the hosptial on Thursday; it was 14 before I went in.  Red blood count at 3.36 when I left; 4.35 when I went in.

I'm also now noticing some pain in the kidney area that  had the surgery...I didn't have any there for the first few days after surgery....it was all abdominal and throat.  I imagine that is to be expected.

It's weird I have this long red mark in the skin that is almost internal on the skin in the kidney area I imagine from the partial neph...as that skin is lifted to do the surgery.

As I said, it's normal to

As I said, it's normal to drop some in your hemoglobin and red cells but the important thing is that it did not decrease from 11 but is going back up. So get a blood test as soon as possible. Aches and pains will come and go and with just a week out, it's to be expected.  Most important right now is get your blood count done so you know the fatigue is not from anemia.

• HH431
    APny said:

As I said, it's normal to

As I said, it's normal to drop some in your hemoglobin and red cells but the important thing is that it did not decrease from 11 but is going back up. So get a blood test as soon as possible. Aches and pains will come and go and with just a week out, it's to be expected.  Most important right now is get your blood count done so you know the fatigue is not from anemia.

I talked to my general doctor

I talked to my general doctor and he said to just give it more time.  He said I am probably a little anemic right now as I am recovering but normal a week after surgery.

Throughout the day I seemed to have just a bit more energy - no naps. :)

• sblairc
    sblairc Member Posts: 585 Member
    HH431 said:

I talked to my general doctor

I talked to my general doctor and he said to just give it more time.  He said I am probably a little anemic right now as I am recovering but normal a week after surgery.

Throughout the day I seemed to have just a bit more energy - no naps. :)

Did you receive a blood transfusion?

Just wondering, there is often a lot of blood loss in this type of surgery. As for your energy level, my husband (he was 47 at surgery time and very active/fit) was sleeping a LOT for the first week or so home. He took two naps a day. It will take a while to recover. Take it SLOW and EASY and gradually work up to normal. Remember you are healing on the inside as well with a partial. Your kidney is healing, not just your incisions. He took it slow and was very glad he did. 

• HH431
    sblairc said:

Did you receive a blood transfusion?

Just wondering, there is often a lot of blood loss in this type of surgery. As for your energy level, my husband (he was 47 at surgery time and very active/fit) was sleeping a LOT for the first week or so home. He took two naps a day. It will take a while to recover. Take it SLOW and EASY and gradually work up to normal. Remember you are healing on the inside as well with a partial. Your kidney is healing, not just your incisions. He took it slow and was very glad he did. 

I received no blood

I received no blood transfusion.  Even when I had the kidney drain in, there was not much fluid (blood) coming out.  Good points, just need to be patient.

Yesterday I didn't even take a nap although having just woken up not too long ago this morning, I might need to take one today.