FB Communication?

Bonngo
Bonngo Member Posts: 79

Was wondering what the thought was out there of starting a FB page for our group?  I find that I do not log in here as much as I would like as it is a bit cumbersome and I get lost following the threads sometimes.  I think a good percentage of people are on FB every day.  Your feedback is appreciated!

Comments

• Srashedb
    Srashedb Member Posts: 482 Member
    FB

there are a few FB pages for kidney cancer but I don't find much substantial info there. 

This forum has a decent exchange of info, support and feels like family.

those are my thoughts 

Sarah

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    FB

Bonngo,

There is a Kidney Cancer Survivors FB group with about 2800 members. Other members of this board as well as myself post in that group as well. You lose your privacy as it is connected to your FB page. There is no bio information so ou know little about the other poster except what thay put in a post. There are many more replies then here and most of them are very basic. It is harder if not impossable to retrieve earier posts. There is also a FB group for the Kidney Cancer Association. I stay away from that as it is used to diseminate right wing political commentary from the Heritage Foundation and Forbes magazine and any disenting views are removed as well as diseminating  the personal right wing views of Wm Bro the COO of the Kidney Cancer Foundation.

Icemantoo

• Bonngo
    Bonngo Member Posts: 79
    Ok scratch that idea.  I will

Ok scratch that idea.  I will try harder to log in order to participate in helping others as I have received abundance of support when needed.  

• Srashedb
    Srashedb Member Posts: 482 Member
    Bonngo said:

Ok scratch that idea.  I will try harder to log in order to participate in helping others as I have received abundance of support when needed.  

FB

I didn't mean to discourage you from FB; I have checked out the groups. As for privacy, you can make it private in your settings.

very glad that you are making an effort to stay here because you will find support as well as give it. This has been said before but this a family.

for medical information that is more advance, I would also suggest Smart Patients; there is lots of info but it can get overwhelming at times. 

Sarah

• Bonngo said:

I know many people who are

I know many people who are adverse to posting on FB.  I have an account, but I rarely post or "like" anything.  To me FB has too many strange privacy and tracking issues.  Also, I do not want to share with the world that I had cancer.  Very few people in my life know about it.  I'm not trying to hide it, but I don't want it on my Facebook page.  As others have said, there are private groups, and I belong to one not related to kidney cancer, but I never participate because I only log onto FB once every few months or so.

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member

I know many people who are

I know many people who are adverse to posting on FB.  I have an account, but I rarely post or "like" anything.  To me FB has too many strange privacy and tracking issues.  Also, I do not want to share with the world that I had cancer.  Very few people in my life know about it.  I'm not trying to hide it, but I don't want it on my Facebook page.  As others have said, there are private groups, and I belong to one not related to kidney cancer, but I never participate because I only log onto FB once every few months or so.

ITA about the privacy issues.

ITA about the privacy issues. Nothing is private. Regardless of how you set your account. So I simply deleted mine years ago and guess what? I survived without it just fine.

• Footstomper
    Footstomper Member Posts: 1,237 Member
    APny said:

ITA about the privacy issues.

ITA about the privacy issues. Nothing is private. Regardless of how you set your account. So I simply deleted mine years ago and guess what? I survived without it just fine.

Privacy issues

I know of too many teachers who have lost teir jobs for posting innocent stuff on FB which is then taken out of context or blown out of all proportion. I know of one who lost her job over a picture of her on a beach dinking beer in the sunshine.

Avoid like the plague