Going in for partial Neph next month - scared as heck

Comments

• Mav1969a
    Mav1969a Member Posts: 22
    You"ll be fine brother!
    If

You"ll be fine brother!

If your doctor thinks he can handle it via partial, I'd go with his recomendation.  My doctor is only in his mid 50's, but my surgery went just as he expected because he had a long enough experience base.  My point is, your doc, based on the images they'very taken, has a very good idea of how it will go down.  And if there are any surprises (there won't be because the imaging is excellent these days...we're so lucky), the procedures have contingency plans. 

Your tumor is about the same size as mine was.  I had an open partial.  (I don't think my doc's clinic has invested into the robotics procedures yet.  But I read that, while relatively new, outcomes are similarly excellent.)  The good news with robotics is that recoverys are insanely fast.

You'll be turning cartwheels again before you know it.

Mav

• fightr
    fightr Member Posts: 10 Member
    HH431, sorry to hear you're

HH431, sorry to hear you're going through all this. Your case is extremely similar to mine. I'm 43, healthy except for GERD, and the doctor's found the the 2.4 cm mass almost 6 weeks ago with a contrast ct scan. I had a partial nephrectomy on Thursday, and they used the robotic system. I went home on Friday, and am able to walk around almost normally...just a little slow. I'm barely using any pain meds, also, so my mind is very alert. Overall, I'm feeling very good that this thing is out of me. Of course I have some anxiety about what my life will be like going forward, but one thing at a time - heal first.

I also had anxiety prior to the operation. After what I just went through this week, I feel confident you'll surprise yourself with how fast you'll recover, not have pain, and be fine extremely quickly. Don't let this thing occupy your mind, and focus on appreciating the people and things you love. Please let us know how you are doing.

• HH431
    HH431 Member Posts: 41
    fightr said:

HH431, sorry to hear you're

HH431, sorry to hear you're going through all this. Your case is extremely similar to mine. I'm 43, healthy except for GERD, and the doctor's found the the 2.4 cm mass almost 6 weeks ago with a contrast ct scan. I had a partial nephrectomy on Thursday, and they used the robotic system. I went home on Friday, and am able to walk around almost normally...just a little slow. I'm barely using any pain meds, also, so my mind is very alert. Overall, I'm feeling very good that this thing is out of me. Of course I have some anxiety about what my life will be like going forward, but one thing at a time - heal first.

I also had anxiety prior to the operation. After what I just went through this week, I feel confident you'll surprise yourself with how fast you'll recover, not have pain, and be fine extremely quickly. Don't let this thing occupy your mind, and focus on appreciating the people and things you love. Please let us know how you are doing.

Mav and Fightr,
    Great news

Mav and Fightr,

Great news and thanks for the confidence.  I am trying to stay brave and positive (difficult for me at times) and posts like this really make me smile and feel better about what is coming. :)  Thank you.

• Footstomper
    Footstomper Member Posts: 1,237 Member
    Mav1969a said:

You"ll be fine brother!
    If

You"ll be fine brother!

If your doctor thinks he can handle it via partial, I'd go with his recomendation.  My doctor is only in his mid 50's, but my surgery went just as he expected because he had a long enough experience base.  My point is, your doc, based on the images they'very taken, has a very good idea of how it will go down.  And if there are any surprises (there won't be because the imaging is excellent these days...we're so lucky), the procedures have contingency plans. 

Your tumor is about the same size as mine was.  I had an open partial.  (I don't think my doc's clinic has invested into the robotics procedures yet.  But I read that, while relatively new, outcomes are similarly excellent.)  The good news with robotics is that recoverys are insanely fast.

You'll be turning cartwheels again before you know it.

Mav

I dont believe that cartwheels are compulsory

• fightr
    fightr Member Posts: 10 Member
    HH431 said:

Mav and Fightr,
    Great news

Mav and Fightr,

Great news and thanks for the confidence.  I am trying to stay brave and positive (difficult for me at times) and posts like this really make me smile and feel better about what is coming. :)  Thank you.

HH431, you're going to do so

HH431, you're going to do so well with the procedure. The best part for me has been the immediate feeling that the creature is out of my body. As of today, I'm off all the pain medicine. Overall, I'm just a bit tired, but everything else feels normal. Just think how lucky you are to be able to get rid of it easily and also all the support you have from your family and friends, including your new friends here.

• HH431
    Hi All,I have a question. 

Hi All,

I have a question.  My surgery is scheduled for June 16th, but for the last month I've had a lot of mostly clear sinus drainage.  The first two weeks was pretty bad with a lot of coughing - I have gotten better but still there.  A lot of it was going to my chest and still is, but I am able to cough it up.  I had a lung X-ray the other day as part of my preliminary surgery tests and it was normal.  I do have a sore throat.  I went to my regular Dr. on Monday and he doesn't want to put me on an antibiotic and thinks I can get by.  He said my sinus passages don't look too bad although my throat is red, everything else looks good.  I did get C-diff from antibiotics(first on Zithromax and then 7 mos later on clindamicin) back in 2002-2003 which is why I am always a little hesistant going on antibitics but had no issue since.  I now take a probiotic and eat a lot of natural Greek yogurt with live cultures which I didn't at that time.  I eat healthier in general compared to then.  I know for the surgery they will put me on an antibiotic too.     I informed the surgery nurse anesthesiologist the other day all of the cdiff history and my sinus condition.  She said just keep on an eye on it.  I've been on Zithromax since then multiple times with no issues.  Maybe it was a fluke thing. I will get a sinus infection every 1-2 years.  I've been using Flonase and the sinus rinse every day.

I really don't want this surgery re-scheduled: are there are issues with me having surgery and going under anthesia with whatever I have going on?  I'm sure they will examine me the day of surgery and listen to my lungs which sound fine today.  It's just this damn clear mucus going down my throat.  I do suffer from sinus issues from time to time.

Thanks.

• Ree_Maryland
    Ree_Maryland Member Posts: 161 Member
    HH431 said:

Hi All,I have a question. 

Hi All,

I have a question.  My surgery is scheduled for June 16th, but for the last month I've had a lot of mostly clear sinus drainage.  The first two weeks was pretty bad with a lot of coughing - I have gotten better but still there.  A lot of it was going to my chest and still is, but I am able to cough it up.  I had a lung X-ray the other day as part of my preliminary surgery tests and it was normal.  I do have a sore throat.  I went to my regular Dr. on Monday and he doesn't want to put me on an antibiotic and thinks I can get by.  He said my sinus passages don't look too bad although my throat is red, everything else looks good.  I did get C-diff from antibiotics(first on Zithromax and then 7 mos later on clindamicin) back in 2002-2003 which is why I am always a little hesistant going on antibitics but had no issue since.  I now take a probiotic and eat a lot of natural Greek yogurt with live cultures which I didn't at that time.  I eat healthier in general compared to then.  I know for the surgery they will put me on an antibiotic too.     I informed the surgery nurse anesthesiologist the other day all of the cdiff history and my sinus condition.  She said just keep on an eye on it.  I've been on Zithromax since then multiple times with no issues.  Maybe it was a fluke thing. I will get a sinus infection every 1-2 years.  I've been using Flonase and the sinus rinse every day.

I really don't want this surgery re-scheduled: are there are issues with me having surgery and going under anthesia with whatever I have going on?  I'm sure they will examine me the day of surgery and listen to my lungs which sound fine today.  It's just this damn clear mucus going down my throat.  I do suffer from sinus issues from time to time.

Thanks.

sinus

HI,

sounds more like allergies.you are right, you will be examined before surgey , calm down, soon it wil be over, I also was 1b t1, been over a year now and i feel great . sometimes I do have anxities but thank goodness the tumor it is gone .Sorry you had to join this sight but it is awesome place to be for comfort and good advice from so many people dealing with the same issues as we are. 

• debynash
    debynash Member Posts: 5
    Jan4you said:

OH my goodness, HH,I am so

OH my goodness, HH,I am so sorry for the exprience you've had so far! Glad you went to another potential surgeon. I agree, I didn't think they did biopsies any longer. And for that first doctor not to get the tumor.. well gulp!

For me the CT showed irregular shaped borders that was indicative of cancer. The pathology report after they examine your tumor following surgery has the final say.

I realize the C word is scary, so I am glad you found us here. Coming here and looking at my surgery online helped me alot. I was not scared at all. I was only concerned about whether I would have  to heal from an open incision (one larger one) or laproscopic ones which are several shorter onces, about an inch in diameter. They are used to insert the robotic surgical arms with instruments/cameras.

We'll walk this journey along side you if you want us to. I learned early on that if you had to get Cancer, Kidney cancer is usually the easier as its often "contained" within the kidney and there is no need for chemo, radiation afterwards. Yes you are monitored for some years to come.

You want a surgeon you feel secure with and who offers you the Robatic, laproscopic surgery if possible. Your tumor is about the same as mine. I am 1.5 years out with no evidence of any reoccuring cancer and no problems at all with my recovery.

Now I had to have radical nephrectomy due to the position of the tumor within the kidney. I had robatic surgery and did quite well after. I am also sensitive to narcotics/opiates.

Still, I would get a copy of your records when your BP went low. The Anesthesiologist will want to know what happened to monitor you more closely.

You still cannot exercise for 1 month, except for walking. The hardest part of any abdominal surgery is they pump your abdomen up with this gas in order for the surgeon to SEE inside. But that gas gets trapped in and around your shoulder for sure and THAT hurts or is sore. Some of it you'll pass as you move around.  Pain pills don't really reach that shoulder pain, but stretching and walking did for me. I also wore a lumbar wrap to hold in the sore muscles/incisions following surgery.  It wraps around held by velcro. It also has ouside straps to hold it firmer if necessary. I wore it home from the hospital. You can get them at any drug store. They are meant for bad backs for support. I even wore it to bed.

To help with soreness/pain,  I would place a block of dry ice inside the wrap but over the larger incision where they removed my kidney and it really helped the swelling and inflammation. I hardly needed any pain pills after that. in fact I did not have any horrible pain at all. I was sore and used pain pills for about 5 days, but tried not to use them if I could.

However, I had to beg someone to bring me ice to place over my incisions while IN the hospital. Finally the PT gal brought some ice cubes inside a face mask. The RNs were like, you got all these pain pills to take.. aaah nope, the ice worked directly over the incision.

Yes, you need to rest, walk, rest, walk and not allow yourself to worry about things. Pain pills can contstipate you so you'll need to get stool softener pills.

HH, I would suggest you learn how to relax your body. Start by your breathing. Breathe IN through your nose and out s l o w l y through your mouth, with your teeth apart. Now go someone pleasant in your mind while you do these nice, slow deep breathing. Try it now. As you keep breathing slowly, not clenching your teeth, but keeping the teeth slightly apart, you start to work consciously on other muscle groups, until your whole body relaxes.

I wouls suggest you ask your fiance if she'd give you gentle massages while you do this deep, slow breathing. then do the same for her.

Okay they will place a catheter in your bladder when you are asleep on the operating table. Sometimes they are removed as soon as you can make it to the bathroom, otherwise you'll keep it in till you leave. 

The night after your surgery, they will get you up, first just to sit at side of your bed. Then up to walk a few steps. With your BP problem, they will especially go slowly with you and make sure you are tolerating the pain meds before getting you up to walk.

While in bed, you'l be wearing these stockings on your legs to prevent blood clots following any surgery. They will automatically blow up and squeeze your legs gently, then deflate, on and off. After you are able to get up and walk on your own, they will probably remove them.

However, when they remove the Urinary catheter, make sure you are doing your breathing FIRST (tell them to wait) until you are breathing slowly, blowing out through your mouth, then let them remove it. Trust me this breathing technique works if you are having ANYthing intrusive, like shots, drawing blood, removing catheters. Its used for childbirth. I had a biopsy performed with NO anesthetic on my cervix, but felt NOTHING as I was doing my breathing!! Again, practice this, as it also helps reduce stress and anxiety.  

You wil be in the hosptial 1-3 days, usually not longer. Some folks prefer a recliner to rest/sleep in. As you feel better, do not push it. Some folks return to work in a few weeks, others are told to wait a whole month.

But do not push it when you start to feel better, because you  are healing INSIDE and you don't want hernias or other ruptures. Usually your stitches dissolve as they use surgical glue to hold shut the outside incisions with a little tape. Laproscopic incisions often fade to a fine line after awhile.

Too much? Hope not. Now live your life and try not to listen to horror stories. Again, most of us knew nothing of Kidney cancer until we got it. So educate yourself and ask us as many questions you need to hon.

Stay in touch,

Warmly, Jan

My open partial is in 10

My open partial is in 10 days, so this is really useful information. Learning more on this site than from my surgeon, but as long as he has the hands of gawd, I will not complain later. The more we understand, the less we stress. And I promise I am starting my deep breathing exercises like, Now...!

• vdm13
    vdm13 Member Posts: 47
    My 2 cents

Hi, HH.

You had lots of great feedback from the great folks on this board, so I will be brief and add my 2 cents. 

My diagnosis: Stage 4 / Grade 4 clear cell mRCC with Sarcomatoid Features diagnosed April 2012

My frontline treatment: Robotic/DaVinci Radical nephrectomy plus removal of a slice of my spleen and 16 lymph nodes. Sutent 50mg ever since. 

My current state: Almost NED at three years. A darn near medical miracle. Looking forward to FDA approval of some immunology treatments and being declared cancer free, officially, I hope within 12 months.

My opinion on your case: While I am not a doctor, I agree with those who suggest having it all removed. My dad did so some 30+ years ago and has been cancer free ever since. My uncle had a partial at the same time and fought with recurrence for 20 years or so and passed in his 60's. 

On recovery: I had a radical robotically and was home in 2 days. Wasn't an easy recovery, but it wasn't all that bad. My worst memory is removal of the urinary catheter and my bad experience with Morphine. Don't get me wrong: it was great for the ten minutes it worked. It was the next 20 minutes waiting for the next hit that was bad. I took one Oxy when I got home and haven't taken one since. Did not like that effect at all. I found a way to self medicate that I would prefer not to reveal in public, and it solved my pain and anxiety issues. 

Finally, take a breath and be thankful you have no mets. Your 99% curable!!! You'll be back on your feet by mid summer!

Vin

• HH431
    vdm13 said:

My 2 cents

Hi, HH.

You had lots of great feedback from the great folks on this board, so I will be brief and add my 2 cents. 

My diagnosis: Stage 4 / Grade 4 clear cell mRCC with Sarcomatoid Features diagnosed April 2012

My frontline treatment: Robotic/DaVinci Radical nephrectomy plus removal of a slice of my spleen and 16 lymph nodes. Sutent 50mg ever since. 

My current state: Almost NED at three years. A darn near medical miracle. Looking forward to FDA approval of some immunology treatments and being declared cancer free, officially, I hope within 12 months.

My opinion on your case: While I am not a doctor, I agree with those who suggest having it all removed. My dad did so some 30+ years ago and has been cancer free ever since. My uncle had a partial at the same time and fought with recurrence for 20 years or so and passed in his 60's. 

On recovery: I had a radical robotically and was home in 2 days. Wasn't an easy recovery, but it wasn't all that bad. My worst memory is removal of the urinary catheter and my bad experience with Morphine. Don't get me wrong: it was great for the ten minutes it worked. It was the next 20 minutes waiting for the next hit that was bad. I took one Oxy when I got home and haven't taken one since. Did not like that effect at all. I found a way to self medicate that I would prefer not to reveal in public, and it solved my pain and anxiety issues. 

Finally, take a breath and be thankful you have no mets. Your 99% curable!!! You'll be back on your feet by mid summer!

Vin

VDM13, Great to hear how

VDM13,

Great to hear how you are doing!  Truly wonderful news!

My surgeon is said to be one of the tops in the country and focuses on robotic partial nephs.  The tumor is also very encapsulated on the southern part of the kidney.  People from all over travel to him for these surgeries so I am remaining confident he can get it all.  I'm told the recurrence rate is only 3-5% or so if I recall.  The surgeon says he makes sure to cut 1cm of good tissue around the mass to ensure getting it all.  So, I am rolling the dice this way.  I've spoken to other doctors too and everyone says to get the partial if at all possible.  I also think robotic partials are more successful in preventing recurrence compared to partials that were done years ago.  I work with a woman whose father had one of he first Robotic partials about 15 yrs ago and he's been clean since.  Being only 43, I want to keep as much kidney function as possible as I have no idea what lies ahead of me later in life that could over-demand my remaining kidney.  I stay fit, eat healthy, exercise, never smoked etc. but who knows.  I've done all of that for a while and still got a tumor on my kidney.  Sometimes I think a lot of this just happens no matter how healthy you take care of yourself. (shrug).  And, there is always a very small chance a radical will be required he said if he sees something or something is too risky - he won't take chances.

I'm very wary of the narcotics especially my terrible experience with Diladid.  I took Norco for a tooth procedure earlier this year and felt slightly nauseated and sleepy, but wasn't too bad.  Maybe I can just stick with that.  I've got to be careful with Antibiotics too as I got c-diff years back.  I would like to avoid Clindamicin.  I've been eating plenty of probiotic yogurt though for a while now.  I've talked to the nurse in anethesia already about this and she recorded it - surely will talk to them about it before the surgery.

Tuesday morning is the surgery and it's getting close.  I'm scared, but thanks to everyone in this thread, my 'scare level' is not as bad.  I'm not "freaking" anymore.  But it's just still weird I am having to go through this as you can probably relate for the first time.  I just want it to go well and start recovering.

• Footstomper
    Footstomper Member Posts: 1,237 Member
    HH431 said:

VDM13, Great to hear how

VDM13,

Great to hear how you are doing!  Truly wonderful news!

My surgeon is said to be one of the tops in the country and focuses on robotic partial nephs.  The tumor is also very encapsulated on the southern part of the kidney.  People from all over travel to him for these surgeries so I am remaining confident he can get it all.  I'm told the recurrence rate is only 3-5% or so if I recall.  The surgeon says he makes sure to cut 1cm of good tissue around the mass to ensure getting it all.  So, I am rolling the dice this way.  I've spoken to other doctors too and everyone says to get the partial if at all possible.  I also think robotic partials are more successful in preventing recurrence compared to partials that were done years ago.  I work with a woman whose father had one of he first Robotic partials about 15 yrs ago and he's been clean since.  Being only 43, I want to keep as much kidney function as possible as I have no idea what lies ahead of me later in life that could over-demand my remaining kidney.  I stay fit, eat healthy, exercise, never smoked etc. but who knows.  I've done all of that for a while and still got a tumor on my kidney.  Sometimes I think a lot of this just happens no matter how healthy you take care of yourself. (shrug).  And, there is always a very small chance a radical will be required he said if he sees something or something is too risky - he won't take chances.

I'm very wary of the narcotics especially my terrible experience with Diladid.  I took Norco for a tooth procedure earlier this year and felt slightly nauseated and sleepy, but wasn't too bad.  Maybe I can just stick with that.  I've got to be careful with Antibiotics too as I got c-diff years back.  I would like to avoid Clindamicin.  I've been eating plenty of probiotic yogurt though for a while now.  I've talked to the nurse in anethesia already about this and she recorded it - surely will talk to them about it before the surgery.

Tuesday morning is the surgery and it's getting close.  I'm scared, but thanks to everyone in this thread, my 'scare level' is not as bad.  I'm not "freaking" anymore.  But it's just still weird I am having to go through this as you can probably relate for the first time.  I just want it to go well and start recovering.

Your role

You go in. You wake up and youre done, Everyone is there to do your worries for you. Enjoy yor nap

• Nana4life
    Nana4life Member Posts: 78 Member
    On the other side now

And BAM ! it's over. The waiting for me was the hardest part. Im on the other side now and I can tell you it'll be okay. I am now taking it one day at a time. Yesterday was a good day for a visit from my grandson. Today I just want to relax and no visitors. I decide what I need. It is hard for me to set limits on people but on the other hand I have to take care of me. believe in yourself, listen to you. Oh as part of your recovery time, try to do fun things that don't require physical exertion. A friend of mine gave me some really cool coloring books and markers. Hours and hours of brainless fun. You may not like coloring books ( but you might be surprised these were super cool)maybe sketching or models like the ones or better yet maybe legos!!!! Hey that's a good idea I may just get me a set. No more reading and thinking too much. Heal up and then tackle this head on and don't ever give up. We will survive! Fear is our worst enemy, do not let it enter your mind. Do not feed it.... 

This site has been absolutely inspiring and full of hope! Please know that I will be sending my love prayers of energy to you. Please  be sure to touch base! 

Nana4life

Ps... As I wrote this before I stated to think about all kinds of other fun things to do. Puzzles, video games ( I prefer fun ones like angry birds or something, no violence), paint by numbers, sudoku, crossword puzzles ( sometimes too much brain required)

• HH431
    Nana4life said:

On the other side now

And BAM ! it's over. The waiting for me was the hardest part. Im on the other side now and I can tell you it'll be okay. I am now taking it one day at a time. Yesterday was a good day for a visit from my grandson. Today I just want to relax and no visitors. I decide what I need. It is hard for me to set limits on people but on the other hand I have to take care of me. believe in yourself, listen to you. Oh as part of your recovery time, try to do fun things that don't require physical exertion. A friend of mine gave me some really cool coloring books and markers. Hours and hours of brainless fun. You may not like coloring books ( but you might be surprised these were super cool)maybe sketching or models like the ones or better yet maybe legos!!!! Hey that's a good idea I may just get me a set. No more reading and thinking too much. Heal up and then tackle this head on and don't ever give up. We will survive! Fear is our worst enemy, do not let it enter your mind. Do not feed it.... 

This site has been absolutely inspiring and full of hope! Please know that I will be sending my love prayers of energy to you. Please  be sure to touch base! 

Nana4life

Ps... As I wrote this before I stated to think about all kinds of other fun things to do. Puzzles, video games ( I prefer fun ones like angry birds or something, no violence), paint by numbers, sudoku, crossword puzzles ( sometimes too much brain required)

I am a huge home

I am a huge home theater/movie fan, so I will be watching plenty of Blu-rays during my time off. :)

• foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    HH431 said:

I am a huge home

I am a huge home theater/movie fan, so I will be watching plenty of Blu-rays during my time off. :)

Here is how you do it

Trust and don't second guess anyone while in the hospital. Everyone has been properly trained and they develope a knack at being real good at it. So sit back and watch the process like you are watching a movie. They will take care of you. You will not be their first patient. Do what they say and you will be running around in no time.

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    foxhd said:

Here is how you do it

Trust and don't second guess anyone while in the hospital. Everyone has been properly trained and they develope a knack at being real good at it. So sit back and watch the process like you are watching a movie. They will take care of you. You will not be their first patient. Do what they say and you will be running around in no time.

HH431. Go with the advice of

HH431. Go with the advice of your doctor. You're young and yes, you're right; you want to reserve kidney function. My surgeon/oncologist at Sloan Kettering is also highly thought of internationally and is considered an expert in this field. He saved 85 percent of my kidney and said recurrence is of course possible, but for stage 1 it's a low probability. He said it is also possible to recur for those whose entire kidney was removed. It can and does come back in the kidney bed even if the whole kidney is gone. There are no guarantees for anyone, partial or radical.

• HH431
    APny said:

HH431. Go with the advice of

HH431. Go with the advice of your doctor. You're young and yes, you're right; you want to reserve kidney function. My surgeon/oncologist at Sloan Kettering is also highly thought of internationally and is considered an expert in this field. He saved 85 percent of my kidney and said recurrence is of course possible, but for stage 1 it's a low probability. He said it is also possible to recur for those whose entire kidney was removed. It can and does come back in the kidney bed even if the whole kidney is gone. There are no guarantees for anyone, partial or radical.

Foxhd and APny,

Well said

Foxhd and APny,

Well said and I agree!

• Jojo61
    Jojo61 Member Posts: 1,309 Member
    Good luck tomorrow! Will be

Good luck tomorrow! Will be thinking about you.//// follow the advice you have received here and you will do great!

Hugs

Jojo

• HH431
    Jojo61 said:

Good luck tomorrow! Will be

Good luck tomorrow! Will be thinking about you.//// follow the advice you have received here and you will do great!

Hugs

Jojo

Thank you and to everyone

Thank you and to everyone else.

I'll be posting back as soon as I get a chance.

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    HH431 said:

Thank you and to everyone

Thank you and to everyone else.

I'll be posting back as soon as I get a chance.

Wishing you the very best and

Wishing you the very best and yes, please check back as soon as you can!

• HH431
    Got home yesterday - surgery

Got home yesterday - surgery went very successfully. :)  I spent two nights.  

I am very sore and tired .The night after the surgery I got zero sleep because of these things that massage your lower legs to help prevent any blood clotting.  I couldn't sleep with them.  Not even a minute.  The next day I was on blood thinner so didn't need them.    But you want to know the worst pain right now besides the incisions and sore abs?  My uvula - that hangs in the back of my throat is really inflamed and hurting from the tube during surgery. It's about an inch long right now, very and touches the back of my throat - no exaggeration.  Initially I was gagging on it times and can feel it on the back of my tounge. I'm told it was return to normal.  It better happen fast or else I getting an ENT to remove it (which I read is a simple outpatient procedure).  I've been using Moltrin 600mg every 8 hours and gargling with warm salt water and Benedryl.  Trying to east smaller, softer meals too.  I've got Oxy here if the pain gets real bad, but haven't felt the need for it.  I am sitting up here at my computer desk in chair as I type and have about 3-4 pain out of 10, but I am fine with that.  If I lie flat it's about 1 out of 10.

My surgeon said he couldn't be more pleased with this surgery.  He's done more partial robotics nephs surgeries than anyone in the world.  But he had considered doing a radical though as it was more complex than the ctscan showed.  The tumor ran very deep, but he said he went even deeper to ensure all of it was gone.  Deeper than technically needed if I recall.  It was growing into the renal sinus, so some of that I guess was removed and some of it reconstructed basically.  He said the pathology of it will be back next week, but that it doesn't matter a lot because whatever it was is completely gone.  I think he studied it for an hour afterwards to make sure everything was good.  I also recall he studies it for an hour before even cutting into it.  Sorry, brain a little foggy still from everything. lol  Blood work and tests remained good the entire time and was off the catherder pretty fast.  My heart rate is a bit elevated, but common given what my body has gone through.

The kidney has about 80% of its initially funtionality and that within 6 months my blood work would not even indicate I ever lost any kidney he told me.