What's next after Inlyta fails

vccortes713
vccortes713 Member Posts: 51

I stop responding to Sutent now my oncologist is prescribing Inlyta. So what's next after Inlyta fails or stop working or If I didn't respond to it? Thanks....

Comments

• Footstomper
    Footstomper Member Posts: 1,237 Member
    2 weeks in on Iniyla

Seems a lot less fierce than sutent in terms of side effects for which I'm very grateful. Today for the first time I have a little diahrea and nausea. Some people on here have been taking it successfully for years I hope to be one of those. In fact I intend to be one of those.

Anyway the side effects prove its doing SOMETHING! Today I will assume its doing something good apart from leaving me enthroned and wanting to vomit. I see my oncologist next Tuesday. I reckon I can make it that far and then we'll decide what happens next when whatever happens next starts happening.

• a_oaklee
    a_oaklee Member Posts: 566 Member

2 weeks in on Iniyla

Seems a lot less fierce than sutent in terms of side effects for which I'm very grateful. Today for the first time I have a little diahrea and nausea. Some people on here have been taking it successfully for years I hope to be one of those. In fact I intend to be one of those.

Anyway the side effects prove its doing SOMETHING! Today I will assume its doing something good apart from leaving me enthroned and wanting to vomit. I see my oncologist next Tuesday. I reckon I can make it that far and then we'll decide what happens next when whatever happens next starts happening.

Nausea meds

My husband takes the Inlyta after eating breakfast.  If he doesn't, he gets a stomach ache.  For a little while when he first started taking this drug he also was prescribed compazine for nausea.  He no longer needs those pills.  But do ask for something, so that you feel better.

• a_oaklee
    a_oaklee Member Posts: 566 Member
    If you ask your doctor that

If you ask your doctor that question, what do they say?  I've often wondered myself, but the fact that I'm the caregiver, I don't ask.  My husband is a very hopeful person and I guess would feel like I put a jinx on our success by asking what's next.  For me, I just want to be prepared and do some research before we need the next med.  please let us know what your doc says.

• Footstomper
    Footstomper Member Posts: 1,237 Member
    a_oaklee said:

If you ask your doctor that

If you ask your doctor that question, what do they say?  I've often wondered myself, but the fact that I'm the caregiver, I don't ask.  My husband is a very hopeful person and I guess would feel like I put a jinx on our success by asking what's next.  For me, I just want to be prepared and do some research before we need the next med.  please let us know what your doc says.

Its daft

But I think I believe in that jinx. Its a bit like going out in April without an umberella

• NewDay
    NewDay Member Posts: 272

Its daft

But I think I believe in that jinx. Its a bit like going out in April without an umberella

Treatment sequencing

I have done a lot of reading on the sequencing of the different drugs and found that there have been very few studies on this.  The couple of drugs that were included in studies showed no real significance difference in the sequence except that Everolimus is not recommended as first line therapy.  My reading shows the most common first line therapy is either Sunitinib (Sutent) or Pazopanib (Votrient). The papers I have read say that it boils down to the physician's experience and opinion.

My first was Pazopanib (Votrient) which I had to stop because of elevated liver enzymes.  I was moved to Axitinib (Inlyta), but my last scans suggest it may be starting to fail.  My doctor is thinking of moving me to Everolimus (Affinitor).  He says he would rather put me on a combination of Sunitinib (Sutent) and Nivolumab which is not yet FDA approved.  The combination is currently in trials but so far shows a lot of problems with side effects in combination.

Your next options (other than IL2) are (in no particular order):

Sunitinib (Sutent)

Sorafenib (Nexavar)

Everolimus (Affinitor)

Temsorolimus (Torisel) - usually prescribed for poor risk patients with very advanced disease.

Bevacizumab (Avastin)