Story no Longer Available

emily1171
emily1171 Member Posts: 5
edited October 2015 in Long-Term Survivors #1

Comments

• Abbycat2
    Abbycat2 Member Posts: 644 Member
    Oh, my, Emily, please write that novel or two!

oh, my , Emily, write that novel or perhaps two ! Your story boggles my mind! You have survived 30 plus years since your original diagnosis. I was diagnosed with stage 3A uterine papillary serous carcinoma in November,  2013, which accounts for 50% of all uterine cancer deaths. Will this include me, h _ll no! I have been an athlete most of my 62 years of living and I believe that physical fitness makes a difference in fighting this disease. As a child, my dream was to swim in the Olympics. I was fortunate to be able to swim in the Junior Olympics when I was 12-years-old. I never understood why my parents were not approached afterwards and asked if they were willing to allow their child-ME-to move over 3,000 miles away from New Jersey to California. It was not until I was 25-years-old when I learned the truth.  My parents asked me for their forgiveness. They told me that I had an opportunity to train for the 1968 Olympic try outs. Can you imagine my reaction?  I remember the satisfaction of knowing that I made the cut , followed by the sense of opportunities lost forever. But do you know what I was left with? Not what you may think! I felt a sense of relief and gratitude to my parents for giving me a wonderful childhood I would've missed by swimming my youth away! I am no longer young yet swimming is still easy for me and still magical. I believe that this aerobic exercise just might save my life .  Why am I telling you this?  Because you have managed to beat the odds and perhaps that is more about mind over matter . I am going to share with my uterine cancer ladies your post here. You are truly an inspiration to every person who shares their story here at CSN . Thank you, emily.

Bless You,

Cathy

• Hopeful162
    Hopeful162 Member Posts: 82
    Abbycat2 said:

oh, my , Emily, write that novel or perhaps two ! Your story boggles my mind! You have survived 30 plus years since your original diagnosis. I was diagnosed with stage 3A uterine papillary serous carcinoma in November,  2013, which accounts for 50% of all uterine cancer deaths. Will this include me, h _ll no! I have been an athlete most of my 62 years of living and I believe that physical fitness makes a difference in fighting this disease. As a child, my dream was to swim in the Olympics. I was fortunate to be able to swim in the Junior Olympics when I was 12-years-old. I never understood why my parents were not approached afterwards and asked if they were willing to allow their child-ME-to move over 3,000 miles away from New Jersey to California. It was not until I was 25-years-old when I learned the truth.  My parents asked me for their forgiveness. They told me that I had an opportunity to train for the 1968 Olympic try outs. Can you imagine my reaction?  I remember the satisfaction of knowing that I made the cut , followed by the sense of opportunities lost forever. But do you know what I was left with? Not what you may think! I felt a sense of relief and gratitude to my parents for giving me a wonderful childhood I would've missed by swimming my youth away! I am no longer young yet swimming is still easy for me and still magical. I believe that this aerobic exercise just might save my life .  Why am I telling you this?  Because you have managed to beat the odds and perhaps that is more about mind over matter . I am going to share with my uterine cancer ladies your post here. You are truly an inspiration to every person who shares their story here at CSN . Thank you, emily.

Bless You,

Cathy

Inspiring stories

I am one of the uterine cancer ladies drawn to this board at Abbycat2's suggestion. Yes, Emily, yours is a very inspiring story of perseverance! I am just at the start of my cancer journey, UPSC diagnosed last September, and after initially feeling down at the prospect of a shortened life, I now have renewed hope that I will beat this thing. I have very much enjoyed following all the stories of courage in the face of adversity on this site. (Thank you, Abbycat2, for telling your story as well, and for being such an encouragement to everyone on the uterine cancer discussion board!)

• emily1171
    Abbycat2 said:

Bless You,

Cathy

You also are an inspiration Cathy

First I have to correct you and tell you we still are youngSmile  you look great and you are so right about exercise. It is just all connected. Wow to be such an accomplised swimmer. It would be very hard to just let a child go at such a young age. heck who am I fooling. I still don't want to let go and my son is 36.  stay in touch and keep on keeping on. what else can we do. Emily

• emily1171

Inspiring stories

I am one of the uterine cancer ladies drawn to this board at Abbycat2's suggestion. Yes, Emily, yours is a very inspiring story of perseverance! I am just at the start of my cancer journey, UPSC diagnosed last September, and after initially feeling down at the prospect of a shortened life, I now have renewed hope that I will beat this thing. I have very much enjoyed following all the stories of courage in the face of adversity on this site. (Thank you, Abbycat2, for telling your story as well, and for being such an encouragement to everyone on the uterine cancer discussion board!)

To Hopeful162

Never ever ever give up. Take care of your mind, sprit and body. you come first now. you have to. Emily

• Abbycat2
    Abbycat2 Member Posts: 644 Member
    emily1171 said:

You also are an inspiration Cathy

First I have to correct you and tell you we still are youngSmile  you look great and you are so right about exercise. It is just all connected. Wow to be such an accomplised swimmer. It would be very hard to just let a child go at such a young age. heck who am I fooling. I still don't want to let go and my son is 36.  stay in touch and keep on keeping on. what else can we do. Emily

Thank you, Hopeful and Emily

for your kind and encouraging responses. We have and can do this and we will persevere . It is so much a mind thing and positive thinking is the only sure way to combat cancer . I refuse to allow anyone to steal my joy; cancer is no different. The fact of the matter is I have grown from this experience in quietly unexpected ways. I once took my vibrant health and boundless energy for granted . Oh , no , not anymore ! Each day is such an incredible gift and I try to live life to the fullest. When I am swimming lap after lap I play songs in my head such as James Brown's song " I feel good ". As I swim I sometimes repeat my mantra: My body is strong and healthy !!

Warm Wishes 

Cathy

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Hi Emily

We just never know, with my 3rd cancer I to was giving 6 months to a year at best, that was in 2006. No one knows why my NPC stopped growing and went into remission all by its self, to me it was the power of the God I love and serve. When I wake up in the morning I look up and thank God for another blessing He is giving.

Hondo

• Diya
    Diya Member Posts: 93
    Emily, you are such an inspiration!

your story does make me want to believe in miracles for once! Thank you so much for sharing this. Every cancer sufferer should hear it as it gives so much hope you cannot imagine! Please do write a book! I would love to read how you created this miracle! All the best to you. diya

• cbokay
    cbokay Member Posts: 21 Member
    emily1171

Oh, wow, I love this story.  God is using you.  And I mean those words in the most kindest, humblest way.  I'm sorry you have suffered so, but without sounding condescending, I'm proud of your success.  You could teach lessons in "Endurance".  What a brave woman you are. You are a beacon and a light for all of us. 

Thank you for sharing.

CB