Sigh... Back at Jefferson Hospital...

jason.2835
jason.2835 Member Posts: 337 Member

Hey, guys,

Well, I'm posting this from my hospital bed. Some of you may remember how my cancer was diagnosed; for those who don't, here's the Cliffs Notes version: I had a gallbladder attack and the abdominal ultrasound that my doctor ordered led to my kidney cancer being discovered. 

I'd had another attack back in November but it had been some time since then so I'd hoped that I could manage it, at least for a while. Nope. 

Last night was the worst one yet. Totally debilitating. And the surgeons decided that they've seen enough deterioration. They want it out. So I'm scheduled for a somewhat emergency surgery tomorrow to get the gallbladder removed. 

The good news is that the surgeon I'd originallY talked and liked months who is available and will be doing the surgery laproscopically. So compared to the kidney surgery, this should be a walk in the park. 

Never ends. 

Comments

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    You owe that gallbladder a lot

Jason,

If it weren't for him that tumor would have continued to grow. Give it a nice burial.

Icemantoo

• Jojo61
    Jojo61 Member Posts: 1,309 Member
    Oh Jason!
    So sorry to hear

Oh Jason!

So sorry to hear that. Good news is, no more gall bladder attacks. And Iceman is right! Give it a good send off. Here's to a speedy recovery.

Big hugs

Jojo

• Srashedb
    Srashedb Member Posts: 482 Member
    Good luck

it is good that you will soon be rid of the pain; may your surgery go well and may you have an uneventful recovery 

Sarah

• foroughsh
    foroughsh Member Posts: 779 Member
    Jason, so sorry for this new

Jason, so sorry for this new thing. Here's to successful surgery and speedy recovery .  Forough

• Allochka
    Allochka Member Posts: 1,060 Member
    foroughsh said:

Jason, so sorry for this new

Jason, so sorry for this new thing. Here's to successful surgery and speedy recovery .  Forough

Good luck with surgery. But

Good luck with surgery. But you should be thankfull for these attacks for finding cancer, so "be noble and let the gall bladder go" :-)

my fiance's tumor was discovered due to hep C. he intends to treat it now, and we joke if this is a "noble thing to do" - to get rid of ir after it kinda saved his life :-)

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    Allochka said:

Good luck with surgery. But

Good luck with surgery. But you should be thankfull for these attacks for finding cancer, so "be noble and let the gall bladder go" :-)

my fiance's tumor was discovered due to hep C. he intends to treat it now, and we joke if this is a "noble thing to do" - to get rid of ir after it kinda saved his life :-)

Good luck, Jason! I think

Good luck, Jason! I think compared to your kidney surgery this will be much easier. And as everyone said, at least you're rid of future attacks.

• Footstomper
    Footstomper Member Posts: 1,237 Member
    APny said:

Good luck, Jason! I think

Good luck, Jason! I think compared to your kidney surgery this will be much easier. And as everyone said, at least you're rid of future attacks.

Good luck mate

Best get rid of the bits that dont work!

• aamdsi
    aamdsi Member Posts: 284
    wishing a speedy

Recovery for you!  Hoping this will be the end of all of this for you as well and you will soon be able to enjoy a pain and cancer free life 8-)

• Hope everything went and is

Hope everything went and is going well.  If it is any consolation, you are probably not missing the miserable weather around Philly today. 

• donna_lee
    donna_lee Member Posts: 1,041 Member

Hope everything went and is

Hope everything went and is going well.  If it is any consolation, you are probably not missing the miserable weather around Philly today. 

Thank heaven...

or take the "n" off and you have heave.  That ugly little green glob of bile storage is what prompted me to call my PC's attention to another little problem I was experiencing nearly 9 years ago.  I was having periodic bouts of nausea/vomiting every couple of months and thought maybe I had a gall stone.  And that was how the US found a mass in the kidney and the liver.  And while they were doing surgery, also found there was a defect in the bile duct, so also removed the gall bladder.

Jason, the lap surgery shouldn't be that difficult.  But do remember that digestion may be a little bit slower.  I suggest eating smaller amounts more slowly to see how things process.  Your liver will now have to produce "on demand"and it can get a bit over-zealous and dump too much at once.

You should do well, and try to enjoy having your feet up for 24 hours.  Hah!  The'll have you up and walking in no time.  Good Luck.

Donna

• foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    donna_lee said:

Thank heaven...

or take the "n" off and you have heave.  That ugly little green glob of bile storage is what prompted me to call my PC's attention to another little problem I was experiencing nearly 9 years ago.  I was having periodic bouts of nausea/vomiting every couple of months and thought maybe I had a gall stone.  And that was how the US found a mass in the kidney and the liver.  And while they were doing surgery, also found there was a defect in the bile duct, so also removed the gall bladder.

Jason, the lap surgery shouldn't be that difficult.  But do remember that digestion may be a little bit slower.  I suggest eating smaller amounts more slowly to see how things process.  Your liver will now have to produce "on demand"and it can get a bit over-zealous and dump too much at once.

You should do well, and try to enjoy having your feet up for 24 hours.  Hah!  The'll have you up and walking in no time.  Good Luck.

Donna

Go Jason

Go get'em Jason. Nothing to it.

• sblairc
    sblairc Member Posts: 585 Member
    Hope all goes well

Should be a piece of cake! 

• BDS
    BDS Member Posts: 172
    Jefferson hospital

Good luck with your surgery, I am assuming you are at Jefferson hospital in Philadelphia.  I was in Jefferson for IL-2  last May - my only complaint was the hospital food was absolutory horrible! I had no problem eating any of the food from the Philadelphia Reading Terminal or any of the local restaurants. So if your doctors let you I suggest you order take out - often!  - BDS

• jason.2835
    Thanks and still waiting

Surgery was supposed to happen yesterday but the surgical team had a couple of tough cases that kept the schedule out of whack...  So I am still waiting for the call but it should definitely happen today.

Thanks for all the well wishes!

• jason.2835
    icemantoo said:

You owe that gallbladder a lot

Jason,

If it weren't for him that tumor would have continued to grow. Give it a nice burial.

Icemantoo

Indeed

Full military honors... 21 gun salute for sure!

• jason.2835
    donna_lee said:

Thank heaven...

Donna

If you only knew...

Already been laying in the bed for 2 days waiting for the surgery to happen... I've had my fill of rest haha...

But, Donna Lee, seriously thanks for the tips... I was reading some horror stories online (one would think they would learn their lesson with doing that) but generally the consensus is smaller meals more often when possible. I am sure I will be fine. I know a couple people who eat like crap after they've had it done... not that I'm looking to do that, or anything... No, sir....

• Djinnie
    Djinnie Member Posts: 945 Member

Thanks and still waiting

Surgery was supposed to happen yesterday but the surgical team had a couple of tough cases that kept the schedule out of whack...  So I am still waiting for the call but it should definitely happen today.

Thanks for all the well wishes!

All the best:)

All the best with the surgery Jason, I hope you don't have to wait much longer. I had mine removed in 2005 it took a little while for my body to adjust. I have no problems as long as I don't eat too much fat which is no bad thing.

Djinnie x

• foroughsh
    foroughsh Member Posts: 779 Member
    Jason, I think The surgery

Jason, I think The surgery day was today,right? how are you? may you have speedy recovery.Forough

• Ree_Maryland
    Ree_Maryland Member Posts: 161 Member
    Gull Bladder

Hope all went well , I had mine out in 2007 only pain I had was horriable pain in right shulder from the gas, Drs used to do the surgery I guess ,It was done by lapscop other than the shoulder pain I was fine. 

• Jan4you
    Jan4you Member Posts: 1,330 Member

Gull Bladder

Hope all went well , I had mine out in 2007 only pain I had was horriable pain in right shulder from the gas, Drs used to do the surgery I guess ,It was done by lapscop other than the shoulder pain I was fine. 

Hey, Jason, I am a little

Hey, Jason, I am a little late getting on the bandwagon to wish you well, but I am now!

ENUFF already! Hope the recovery goes smoothly, less painful and on the road to better health for you!!

Know that the CNS troops are rallying around YOU, sending you healing light for the best recovery yet!!

Sending a gentle hug, Jan