New here...father diagnosed with Stage 2 Mesothelioma and Stage 1 Lung Cancer

addomini75
addomini75 Member Posts: 2

Hello, I am new to understanding cancer, the stages, and survival rates.  My dad was diagnosed with Lung cancer and mesotheliona almost a year ago.  He tells me that the stage 1 lung cancer was treated with the chemo and there are no traces of it so far with his follow up CT's.  However, the mesothelioma is a different story.  After intense chemo and radiation, he developed Radiation Pheumonitis which has caused debilitation of his daily life activities.  He tries to remain positive, but when he develops fevers and has coughing spells, he becomes so agnry, irritated, and frustrated.  I feel so helpless because I live 4 states away from him and cannot be there to help him through this.  Does anyone have any information regarding the stage of mesothelioma he has and this radiation pheumonitis?  He does not like to talk about it because it makes him upset so I feel like I am in the dark about everything.  Thanks for any advise or information anyone is willing to share!!

Comments

• dennycee
    dennycee Member Posts: 857 Member
    Addomini75-
    first- forget

Addomini75-

first- forget what you read about stages and survival rates.  They are based on that mind numbing statistical average of tens of 1000s of people.  They are not useful in predicting the outcome of one single person.  Based on numbers like those, I was told that I could expect to survive 10-15 months with treatment.   That was in 10/2010.  

• addomini75
    addomini75 Member Posts: 2
    dennycee said:

Addomini75-
    first- forget

Addomini75-

first- forget what you read about stages and survival rates.  They are based on that mind numbing statistical average of tens of 1000s of people.  They are not useful in predicting the outcome of one single person.  Based on numbers like those, I was told that I could expect to survive 10-15 months with treatment.   That was in 10/2010.  

dennycee
    thank you for that

dennycee

thank you for that information.  When you hear the "c" word everything else is a blur and a foreign language especially if it is second hand.  It is so awesome to hear that you beat their odds and hope you are continuing to do well!! There is one thing that i have learned and that is you have to live each day to the fullest and be thankful for everyday you wake up

• Elizabeth
    Elizabeth Member Posts: 1

dennycee
    thank you for that

dennycee

thank you for that information.  When you hear the "c" word everything else is a blur and a foreign language especially if it is second hand.  It is so awesome to hear that you beat their odds and hope you are continuing to do well!! There is one thing that i have learned and that is you have to live each day to the fullest and be thankful for everyday you wake up

Dad with meso

If you are still on this site I would love to talk with you. My dad is 78 with stage 4 spindle cell mesothelioma. Radiation and first round of chemo. Says he is done. No more. Help!

• Newfie
    Newfie Member Posts: 2
    dennycee said:

Addomini75-
    first- forget

Addomini75-

Mesothelioma

My brother has mesothelioma lung cancer and is in a study trial-anyone here doing an immunotherapy study?

• dennycee
    dennycee Member Posts: 857 Member
    Newfie said:

Mesothelioma

My brother has mesothelioma lung cancer and is in a study trial-anyone here doing an immunotherapy study?

Newfie, these boards are pretty quiet on mesothelioma.

The oncologists who contribute to the boards at cancergrace.org includes a doc who specializes on meso patients. His name is Dr Jack West.  

• AllieJB
    AllieJB Member Posts: 1
    Newfie said:

Mesothelioma

If you find out anything on

If you find out anything on the immunotherapy could you please let me know? My father was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer and that is one of his options after chemo is finished