Ascites on CT Scans after radical hysterectomy and 8 rounds of chemo for UPSC

Hello UPSC Aunts,

I say "Aunts" b/c it is my Mom who was diagnosed with UPSC.  It has been awhile since I have been on here but it is CT Scan time again and I am getting a bit anxious for her.  Each scan says she has a small amount of possible malignant ascites in her pelvic region that is getting slightly larger.  She cannot take the meds to control it (begins with an A???) due to high blood pressure. her CA-125 will not drop below 200 and her doctor says she doesn't expect it to ever get into normal range.  Anyone have issues with ascites?  She was diagnosed with mixed carcinomas with a spot tumor on her ovary with UPSC- Grade 3a.

p.s.  I am so sorry over the loss of some wonderful ladies on this site.  You all are a such an inspiration to me, how you deeply care for one another.  What a beautiful bond you have!

Comments

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Hello Treebee:
    I just wanted

Hello Treebee:

I just wanted to respond.   I haven't had any issues with ascites, but I know how anxious it can be getting scans.  With the CA125, maybe that will just be your mom's "normal" as long as it is steady.   If she is getting inflammation somewhere, they would caue the rise.   How often does she get scanned?   It seems that if the ascites is only getting slightly larger is ok.  I know some of the posters here can develope ascities overnight.

Sorry I could not be of more help but I wanted to respond to your post.

Give you mom a hug!   Here's one for you too!  (((HUGS)))

Kathy

• AWK
    AWK Member Posts: 364 Member
    Kaleena said:

Hello Treebee:
    I just wanted

Hello Treebee:

I just wanted to respond.   I haven't had any issues with ascites, but I know how anxious it can be getting scans.  With the CA125, maybe that will just be your mom's "normal" as long as it is steady.   If she is getting inflammation somewhere, they would caue the rise.   How often does she get scanned?   It seems that if the ascites is only getting slightly larger is ok.  I know some of the posters here can develope ascities overnight.

Kathy

Hi TreeBee!

I am on Avastin and am thinking that is what her blood pressure level eliminated her from that protocol.  I typically have low blood pressure and it raised mine quite a bit; doctors watch it very closely.  On the CA125 my doctors view it as a tool but just one in a full toolkit.  My Ca125 has bounced all over the place with the lower levels seen right when they picked up Mets and progression.  So they track it, I think in my case for insurance purposes as hey are treating me following the protocol for ovarian Serous Carcinoma.  There is a clinical trial she might qualify for that has had good success rates for Cabozantinib.  It is in PHave two.  I was admitted then rejected at the last minute due to a tumor on my heart.  might be worth checking out.  

Hugs and wishes for the best of luck!

• treebee
    treebee Member Posts: 17
    AWK said:

Hi TreeBee!

I am on Avastin and am thinking that is what her blood pressure level eliminated her from that protocol.  I typically have low blood pressure and it raised mine quite a bit; doctors watch it very closely.  On the CA125 my doctors view it as a tool but just one in a full toolkit.  My Ca125 has bounced all over the place with the lower levels seen right when they picked up Mets and progression.  So they track it, I think in my case for insurance purposes as hey are treating me following the protocol for ovarian Serous Carcinoma.  There is a clinical trial she might qualify for that has had good success rates for Cabozantinib.  It is in PHave two.  I was admitted then rejected at the last minute due to a tumor on my heart.  might be worth checking out.  

Hugs and wishes for the best of luck!

Thank you ladies for your

Thank you ladies for your encouraging responses.  I really hope it is in remission.  AWK- do you know which hospital the clinial trials are happening?  My mother was at Penn Med under Dr. Christina Chu.  When Dr. Chu went to Fox Chase Cancer Center my Mom followed her there.  I am hoping it is as good as Penn.

• treebee
    treebee Member Posts: 17
    Kaleena said:

Hello Treebee:
    I just wanted

Hello Treebee:

Kathy

Thanks Kathy, you are so

Thanks Kathy, you are so encouraging!  Hugs right back to you!  BTW- you have such a pretty smiling face :)

• AWK
    AWK Member Posts: 364 Member
    treebee said:

Thank you ladies for your

Thank you ladies for your encouraging responses.  I really hope it is in remission.  AWK- do you know which hospital the clinial trials are happening?  My mother was at Penn Med under Dr. Christina Chu.  When Dr. Chu went to Fox Chase Cancer Center my Mom followed her there.  I am hoping it is as good as Penn.

Sure!

I was going to participate via the City of Hope in Pasadena Ca.  I actually track clinical trials via the NIH website.  Www.nih.gov/NCI.   You can do searches for specific types, locations, drugs etc.  we are still looking for a clinical trial for me and I am willing to travel if needed.  

Wishing you, your mom and of course all of the other ladies here the best, healthiest, fullest lives!  Hugs.

• It happened to Me
    It happened to Me Member Posts: 206 Member
    Question: What are ascites?

I've heard the name before but I have no clue what they are and what they do or don't do.   I'm hoping for the best for your mom.  I liked the term "Aunts".  That was pretty clever. 

Keep your positive attitude and your sense of humor.  Will be praying for your mom.

• Kaleena
    treebee said:

Thanks Kathy, you are so

Thanks Kathy, you are so encouraging!  Hugs right back to you!  BTW- you have such a pretty smiling face :)

Thank you!

Thank you!

images.jpeg

• Kaleena

Question: What are ascites?

I've heard the name before but I have no clue what they are and what they do or don't do.   I'm hoping for the best for your mom.  I liked the term "Aunts".  That was pretty clever. 

Keep your positive attitude and your sense of humor.  Will be praying for your mom.

Ascities

It is the accumulation of fluid in the body cavity.  That is why sometimes people may have some breathing problems because of the pressure build up.  It can also make you feel bloated and uncomfortable.