A new direction for us.

thxmiker
thxmiker Member Posts: 1,278 Member

Still in the hospital. Ugh

I have 5 partial blockages in my small intestine and colon. The Doctors final choices are that I have stringer cancerous tumors binding the organs together causing the stricture or blockage at various bends. I have liquids seeping through and not flowing as normal.

My CEA has lowered, my tumors have shrunk, the cysts or whatever is on my right lung has neither grown nor shrunk in years. They believe it to be a cyst since it has not changed density nor size over the years. My tumor near the rectum has shrunk.

I am not a candidate for surgery because the stringers are just all over the place. So, they changed my chemo to Erbitux instead of Avastin. I will get another CT in a few weeks to see if this is working. If my bowels start to release then they will assume the chemo is working.

I did get a tube placed in my stomach to drain fluids and have a bag. Sometimes I feel like I am drowning, and then I can release the pressure in my stomach. I will be on IV nutrition for a couple of months also to reduce the stress on my intestine and colon.

Laurie has been tracking down everything I need for home health care. I need a nurse to monitor my blood sugar levels etc... Why I can not do these things myself? I do not know. One company wanted to rent me a med pump for $400 a month. I can get a new certified one for about $360 plus shipping. Hmm I can sell it when I am done and be much ahead. Else, getting all of the meds for home use has been jumping through some hoops. Getting serious pain killers at home took a little bit of time. All seems to be in place for me to go home on Monday 22nd of December. I have been in the hospital since 30th November. They did get us in to a large room. We now have our own mini fridge and a full size couch bed. The last room we were touching elbows in. lol Laurie can keep a salad and yoghurts for her instead of cafeteria food. We have a Sprouts and Trader Joes near by the hospital.

Laurie will drive home tomorrow night and check on the dogs. We have a friend living at the house but he is not running the dogs like he should be. Our Beagle mix needs to be ran or it gets over excited in the house. She does not understand why she did not get her run! Laurie can then double check the local pharmacy to make sure they physically have everything there. They sent us one med with only ¼ the order. I need it Sunday and they will not allow us pick it up locally. Grrrr.  On the positive, a cammera lens is waiting for me at home.

We are also missing the snow at home! We love the snow days. It makes everything slow down and be calm. The snow only lasts for 3-4 days and stays on the mountains surrounding us for the rest of the winter. It is quite pretty! This will be our last winter inn Payson, AZ.

We will move to Houston in May 2015. My health has forced the issue. My family is welcoming for us to move closer to them, and will be able to offer us some physical help if we need it. They also have offered financial help, which we should not need, but it is nice to know we can have a back up plan. My family got us a camera for Christmas! It was quite a splurge and unexpected. A Cannon 5Ti with a couple of lens. We will make good use of the camera.

We have a busy plan for the next few months. New Chemo, sell my work tools on eBay, and garage sale the rest. We will sale books and furniture because the costs of moving are crazy. I also moved expensive spools of wire from Cali to the AZ which was crazy. My nephew wants some of the tools, so I will give them to him and have an option to use them occasionally.

Best Always, mike

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Woah!

That is quite the update. 

You've definitely got it all planned out, so I am hoping you are allowing some recovery time in there. 

Lovely camera. What a beautiful treat. I use my camera several times a week, it brings me much joy. 

Here is hoping the 'stringers' (must look these up, as I have never hearf of them) shrink enough for you working back to normal. 

I'll raise a glass to you on the 22nd (my birthday). 

Sue

• Phil64
    Phil64 Member Posts: 838 Member
    You are in my prayers

Mike,

As Sue said "this is quite an update."

I'm sorry you had such a long hospital stay. And I'm happy you are finally going home. I hope you will rest better at home and overcome these challenges. Erbitux can beat up those tumors so I pray you will have relief soon. You also have listed out a long To Do list... I hope you will add R&R to that list too. Enjoy the snow and Merry Christmas to you!

I'm sending you some Light and Love and you are in my prayers.

Sincerely,

Phil

• wolfen
    wolfen Member Posts: 1,324 Member
    Phil64 said:

You are in my prayers

Mike,

As Sue said "this is quite an update."

I'm sorry you had such a long hospital stay. And I'm happy you are finally going home. I hope you will rest better at home and overcome these challenges. Erbitux can beat up those tumors so I pray you will have relief soon. You also have listed out a long To Do list... I hope you will add R&R to that list too. Enjoy the snow and Merry Christmas to you!

I'm sending you some Light and Love and you are in my prayers.

Sincerely,

Phil

Dang, Guy!

I'm so sorry to hear that you and Laurie are still prisoners in the valley. I thought for sure you'd be gone home by now. Hope things are going to get better real soon.

Luv,

Wolfen

• janderson1964
    janderson1964 Member Posts: 2,215 Member
    Thanks for the detailed

Thanks for the detailed update. I am sorry that you are still in the hospital and suffering although it sounds like they are finally coming up with a good plan of attack. Keep fighting brother.

• Easyflip
    Easyflip Member Posts: 588 Member
    Best to you Mike

It'll be nice to be home for Christmas. My dog is the same way, he goes crazy if he doesn't get his walks : ) Maybe when you feel better you can post some pics with your new camera lens. Merry Christmas, hang in there and stay strong.

Easyflip/Richard

• marbleotis
    marbleotis Member Posts: 720 Member
    Wow - this is quite the update

Mike,

This is quite a change and I applaud you for moving forward.  I will keep you in my thoughts that the move goes well. 

Your place in the mountains sounds beautiful and although you will move away, you leave a piece of yourself there.

Please take good care of yourself.

• Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Just thought I wrote long posts LOL

sounds great mike.....having help such a gift:)

-Craig 

• Yolllmbs
    Yolllmbs Member Posts: 360 Member
    Sundanceh said:

Just thought I wrote long posts LOL

sounds great mike.....having help such a gift:)

-Craig 

Sounds like progress

I'm praying for you and your family. Keep up the good work!!

Yolanda

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Update

Thank you for the update.  Sounds like you have a lot going on in the next 6+ months.  Wishing you the best Christmas and New Year and glad that you can come home before the Holiday begins.  It's time for you to come home and sleep in your own bed. 

Kim

• Fight for my love
    Fight for my love Member Posts: 1,522 Member
    It's always nice to have a

It's always nice to have a good plan. Happy holidays!

• hippiechicks
    hippiechicks Member Posts: 509 Member
    Sounds like this is going to

Sounds like this is going to be a good move for you both.  Having a great hospital, help and a plan is a smart way to go.  Sounds like you guys have all your ducks in a row so to speak which will hopefully make this transition easier for you both. 

I am so sorry to hear of your new difficulties.  Maybe as chemo progresses a surgery option would present itself. Sometimes making moves that seem so big and such an undertaking are beautiful new beginnings for us.  I hope this is for you and Laurie.  My very best to you as you move forward in your journey.  I hope the new chemo is successful and easy for you to handle.

I hope you both have wonderful Holidays .. 

• YoVita
    YoVita Member Posts: 590 Member
    Sorry about all your recent challenges

Glad you're moving to be closer to family although I know you'll miss your current place.  Hope the new chemo resolves the stringers.