arm pain

Hi ,

I have been really lost in my family's crisis lately and have not been able to stay connected with you all . I have actually been very overwhelmed.  

I was able to finish my third treatment last week and now I'm having muscle or vein pain for the last two hours. Left arm above the sight the nurse had to use the last half hour of my infusion.With in a half hour I can't straiten arm completly eather. It is  sore to touch and my aunt and best friend don't think it's heart. I just don't know what to do.  I don't want to call anyone.  I feel the nurses at the cancer center will probably think I am just being paranoid because my anxiety is obvious at treatment day. Yep I feel pretty stupid. 

Has anyone ever had problems with infusion sight ?

~GG~

Comments

• NANCYL1
    NANCYL1 Member Posts: 289
    ARM PAIN

GG:

Lots of us are anxious and we all have a right to be.  I think you should call to ask their advice and describe your symptoms.    I had Rituxan infusions for two years, but didn't have anything like what you describe.  

Don't let it go.   I would call if it happened to me.   I would not call you "paranoid."  Just a person with  unusual, painful symptoms who should call the nurses.  If they are not helpful, call a doctor.

Nancy

• Rocquie
    Rocquie Member Posts: 868 Member
    Pain

GG,

I have not experienced the pain you describe but I have had all my infusions through a port in my chest, never in an arm vein. 

I encourage you to call your oncologist's office to report your symptoms. You are not being paranoid and shouldn't feel stupid. Anxiety is normal and no one will think less of you because of it. Your care team will take all your symptoms seriously, so please don't suffer unnecessarily.

Love,

Rocquie

• givingrace
    givingrace Member Posts: 161
    NANCYL1 said:

ARM PAIN

GG:

Lots of us are anxious and we all have a right to be.  I think you should call to ask their advice and describe your symptoms.    I had Rituxan infusions for two years, but didn't have anything like what you describe.  

Don't let it go.   I would call if it happened to me.   I would not call you "paranoid."  Just a person with  unusual, painful symptoms who should call the nurses.  If they are not helpful, call a doctor.

Nancy

So I realized my friend who

So I realized my friend who is a retired Physicians Asst. He came right over and ruled out some things and told me to do heat. There is no redness or infection but my sence is he is probably spot on. It feels like muscle. He will look again tomorrow and I will call my oncologist center tomorrow if I haven't got any relief. I also did sleep really messed up last night too.

Thankyou Nancy I have been so stressed I really need to chill out a little. I'm so glad that you reminded me that some anxiety is normal. I'm also glad you guys and gals are here. What a rollercoaster huh.

~GG~

• givingrace
    Rocquie said:

Pain

GG,

I have not experienced the pain you describe but I have had all my infusions through a port in my chest, never in an arm vein. 

I encourage you to call your oncologist's office to report your symptoms. You are not being paranoid and shouldn't feel stupid. Anxiety is normal and no one will think less of you because of it. Your care team will take all your symptoms seriously, so please don't suffer unnecessarily.

Love,

Rocquie

Thanks Rocquie, 
    I agree and

Thanks Rocquie, 

I agree and I will. 

I had such an easier time my first time on Rituxin but now Neulasta and Bendamustine are part of the treatment so it's been harder. 

I will call in morning. Unless it gets worse. I think the heating pad helped .

Always greatful for the support. 

~GG~

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,803 Member

Thanks Rocquie, 
    I agree and

Thanks Rocquie, 

I agree and I will. 

I had such an easier time my first time on Rituxin but now Neulasta and Bendamustine are part of the treatment so it's been harder. 

I will call in morning. Unless it gets worse. I think the heating pad helped .

Always greatful for the support. 

~GG~

Pain
    GG,

IVs do at times leak. Depending on what drugs you are getting, this can be a serious situation. I would call someone at the first opportunity if I were you.
    max
  • Sten
    Sten Member Posts: 162 Member

Pain
    GG,

IVs do at times leak. Depending on what drugs you are getting, this can be a serious situation. I would call someone at the first opportunity if I were you.
    max

Call the doctor

Hi GG,

Of course you can call the doctor if you are in pain.

Sten

• givingrace
    Sten said:

Call the doctor

Hi GG,

Of course you can call the doctor if you are in pain.

Sten

Ok I woke up this morning

Ok I woke up this morning after doing heat last night and my are is 90% better . I did call and report my pain so they know.  Thanks everyone !

~GG~

• amanda_christy
    amanda_christy Member Posts: 60

Ok I woke up this morning after doing heat last night and my are is 90% better . I did call and report my pain so they know.  Thanks everyone !

~GG~

Better safe than sorry

I never wanted to 'bother' the nurses but they kept telling me that thats what they were there for!!! :-) most of us feel like that but chemo is extremely toxic and we, as lay ppl,  can sometimes trivialize it. The drs and nurses know how seriously it should be taken at all times. better safe than sorry huh?

I hope ur doing better, emotionally! :-D

hang in there xoxo

• givingrace

Better safe than sorry

I never wanted to 'bother' the nurses but they kept telling me that thats what they were there for!!! :-) most of us feel like that but chemo is extremely toxic and we, as lay ppl,  can sometimes trivialize it. The drs and nurses know how seriously it should be taken at all times. better safe than sorry huh?

I hope ur doing better, emotionally! :-D

hang in there xoxo

Thanks Amanda. I think you

Thanks Amanda. I think you hit it on the nail with the nurses and our minds over thinking about it. 

I'm sure I'm going to be fine emotionally it's just gonna take time. I've always been very self sufficient and go out of my way to help others but after my car accident life is very dependant and unfortunately my youngest son is in a heap of trouble and my heart is just so sad and angry. I just want to sell my belongings and move out of town in my not purchase yet 5th wheel and be closer to nature. With me and my little doxiepoo.  

Time will tell. I'm just happy I got something done today. Depression can be very dark but...i opened my curtains and fought threw my physical and mental issues.  :^)

~GG~

• NANCYL1
    NANCYL1 Member Posts: 289

~GG~

ARM PAIN

GG:

Nice to have a phys. assistant for a friend.  Glad to hear that heat improved the arm 90%, and you called the nurses yesterday.  Good work.

Keep in touch.

Nancy

• givingrace
    NANCYL1 said:

ARM PAIN

GG:

Nice to have a phys. assistant for a friend.  Glad to hear that heat improved the arm 90%, and you called the nurses yesterday.  Good work.

Keep in touch.

Nancy

I actually didn't realize

I actually didn't realize that he was a phys.asistant until a few months ago. I just know him as "Loyde".

But my stupid head took me three hours of freak out until I realized to call him. My memory and quick thinking is shot. Lol. Between head injury, chemotherapy and stress I'm lucky I even know my name ! Lol. :^)

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,803 Member

Thanks Amanda. I think you hit it on the nail with the nurses and our minds over thinking about it. 

I'm sure I'm going to be fine emotionally it's just gonna take time. I've always been very self sufficient and go out of my way to help others but after my car accident life is very dependant and unfortunately my youngest son is in a heap of trouble and my heart is just so sad and angry. I just want to sell my belongings and move out of town in my not purchase yet 5th wheel and be closer to nature. With me and my little doxiepoo.  

Time will tell. I'm just happy I got something done today. Depression can be very dark but...i opened my curtains and fought threw my physical and mental issues.  :^)

~GG~

Noggin Nock
    GG,
    When I had my wreck in 1986 I had a severe concussion and extremely low oxygen for many hours (collapsed lung and caved-in chest cavity), and then went on a ventilator for 16 days. I was blind the first night, but could see the next day. No one has ever expIained that to me. Some of the docs told my mom "he will most likely have serious to severe organic brain damage." I stuttered for about a year and had no memory for longer than that. About a month after that my ear itched, and when I scratched it I pulled out a piece of windshield glass, so I must have head impact at some point. It is not clear, because I do not remember being ejected, but was found about 10 feet from the car. I do recall the initial impact, and was awake all the way to the ER. I have had two serious wrecks since.

My point is that accident recovery can take a long time, but the brain can recover and reestablish neurological circuits. This can take years, but I know it happens. I went back to college and esrned an B.A. and went to grad school, and learned German and some Yiddish, and can read a minimal amount of Dutch now. Head injury with chemo fog has got to be bad, but chemo fog clears faster than trauma, so you might get clear-headed faster than you think.

I leaned back and fell out of a computer chair an hour ago, and almost couldn't get up, my back arthritis is so bad. Several meds I am on cause dizziness, so I almost feel like I am back in that foggy time. You will think clearly soon !
    max
  • Jeff148
    Jeff148 Member Posts: 184

I actually didn't realize

I actually didn't realize that he was a phys.asistant until a few months ago. I just know him as "Loyde".

But my stupid head took me three hours of freak out until I realized to call him. My memory and quick thinking is shot. Lol. Between head injury, chemotherapy and stress I'm lucky I even know my name ! Lol. :^)

Hang in there!!!!

You are much tougher than I. My Dr. made the mistake of giving me his personal email which was connected to his cell phone. I was such a baby that I would email him all the time until he told me to contact the nurse station. :) They were always helpful! Don't be afraid to call anytime you feel there could be an issue. They get paid to keep us going. After going through this, I'm no longer a believer in "no pain, no gain." My new slogan is, "No pain is gain." Or  "Pain, call the dr."

• amanda_christy

~GG~

Wishing u sunny days GG

Its so hard to do wat makes u happy, isnt it? it isnt selfish u know! Stop trying to fix or save everyone and know that u deserve saving 2. :-) I think uve more than earned the right to grab happiness with both hands :-D

U cant undo the bad decisions of others. it isnt fair on u to bear the burden of urs son's mistakes. All u can do is love him but dont let it eat at u or destroy u.

Uve been through so much! Never forget that u matter 2! ur somebody's kid too :-D

too preachy huh? lolz

:-) wishing u sunny days GG

• amanda_christy
    Jeff148 said:

Hang in there!!!!

You are much tougher than I. My Dr. made the mistake of giving me his personal email which was connected to his cell phone. I was such a baby that I would email him all the time until he told me to contact the nurse station. :) They were always helpful! Don't be afraid to call anytime you feel there could be an issue. They get paid to keep us going. After going through this, I'm no longer a believer in "no pain, no gain." My new slogan is, "No pain is gain." Or  "Pain, call the dr."

Hey

....ur babbling Jeff *giggle*

made u smile :-D

• Jeff148
    Jeff148 Member Posts: 184

Hey

....ur babbling Jeff *giggle*

made u smile :-D

I can't help it.

I like to babble. By the way Giving Grace, when you get through this, will you be going fishing to celebrate? I know Sue also likes to fish. I sure hope her eye is getting better. (more babbling). Oh, I want to brag for a second too. After I received the good news, I signed up for a bass tournament to fish with my dad. He and I have fished 3 bass tournaments over the years and have done ok, but never won. This year we took first. It wasn't a big tourney, but it was against some really good fishermen. It was almost like it was meant to be. IT was surreal. Here is a link to the picture of my dad and I.

www.puyallup-hawg-hunters.com/2014/2014_Mickelsen_Open/Mickelsen_2014_Results.html

If you look close you can see the outline of my port. Just so you know, all the fish were released alive after the tournament. My pops and I didn't really fit in with the crew of overall wearing guys. However, it inspired me to do no shave November.

• illead
    illead Member Posts: 884 Member
    Jeff148 said:

I can't help it.

I like to babble. By the way Giving Grace, when you get through this, will you be going fishing to celebrate? I know Sue also likes to fish. I sure hope her eye is getting better. (more babbling). Oh, I want to brag for a second too. After I received the good news, I signed up for a bass tournament to fish with my dad. He and I have fished 3 bass tournaments over the years and have done ok, but never won. This year we took first. It wasn't a big tourney, but it was against some really good fishermen. It was almost like it was meant to be. IT was surreal. Here is a link to the picture of my dad and I.

www.puyallup-hawg-hunters.com/2014/2014_Mickelsen_Open/Mickelsen_2014_Results.html

If you look close you can see the outline of my port. Just so you know, all the fish were released alive after the tournament. My pops and I didn't really fit in with the crew of overall wearing guys. However, it inspired me to do no shave November.

congrats Jeff

Those are fish only a guy could love WinkLaughing.

So glad you continue to do so well,

B&B

• givingrace

Noggin Nock
    GG,
    When I had my wreck in 1986 I had a severe concussion and extremely low oxygen for many hours (collapsed lung and caved-in chest cavity), and then went on a ventilator for 16 days. I was blind the first night, but could see the next day. No one has ever expIained that to me. Some of the docs told my mom "he will most likely have serious to severe organic brain damage." I stuttered for about a year and had no memory for longer than that. About a month after that my ear itched, and when I scratched it I pulled out a piece of windshield glass, so I must have head impact at some point. It is not clear, because I do not remember being ejected, but was found about 10 feet from the car. I do recall the initial impact, and was awake all the way to the ER. I have had two serious wrecks since.

My point is that accident recovery can take a long time, but the brain can recover and reestablish neurological circuits. This can take years, but I know it happens. I went back to college and esrned an B.A. and went to grad school, and learned German and some Yiddish, and can read a minimal amount of Dutch now. Head injury with chemo fog has got to be bad, but chemo fog clears faster than trauma, so you might get clear-headed faster than you think.

I leaned back and fell out of a computer chair an hour ago, and almost couldn't get up, my back arthritis is so bad. Several meds I am on cause dizziness, so I almost feel like I am back in that foggy time. You will think clearly soon !
    max

Holy smokes!!! I think it's

Holy smokes!!! I think it's amazing that your even alive. I can't thank you enough for sharing that. I have to remember that I've got to give myself a break and this healing thing is not gonna happen overnight. After I was hit from behind. I was stopped at a light this other driver hit me going 50 to 60 mph. I remember standing in the intersection with my hands on the back of my head screaming oh my God my head , Oh my God ! Because it was swelling up like a water ballon.Then I passed out (again) and hit the asphalt and hit my head again!  The first hit was the head rest that isn't that soft when you hit it that hard then where the metal strip and glass come together. I never heard the helicopter they put me in until I saw the blades. So then the trauma center I was taken to didn't keep me over night and actually sent me home with a bleeding head. I bled threw the night. That night I had seizure activitie and was in ER next morning. The story continues but I'll spare you.  Unfortunately the driver was possibly under the influence .  I won't know for a while my attorney is just on phase one of a long process.  She has a history DUI. she didn't have insurance eather. It's a real mess. I to shouldn't have walked away. I still wander how my neck didn't snap. God once again was with me.

Thanks Max....your so full of compact , great information. 

~GG~

• givingrace

Wishing u sunny days GG

Its so hard to do wat makes u happy, isnt it? it isnt selfish u know! Stop trying to fix or save everyone and know that u deserve saving 2. :-) I think uve more than earned the right to grab happiness with both hands :-D

U cant undo the bad decisions of others. it isnt fair on u to bear the burden of urs son's mistakes. All u can do is love him but dont let it eat at u or destroy u.

Uve been through so much! Never forget that u matter 2! ur somebody's kid too :-D

too preachy huh? lolz

:-) wishing u sunny days GG

Thanks Amanda, 
    My son

Thanks Amanda, 

My son obviously needed to go down a hard path for a reason.i just hope it all sinks in he is only 18 so I would rather him learn now then when he's much older.

I don't own his mistakes but it just makes me sad.

I think in the near future I will be doing  RV life and I'll be in a town we used to go to for vacation so it will be a new chapter  I can't wait to start. 

• givingrace
    Jeff148 said:

I can't help it.

Ya'll are a hoot!Thanks for

Ya'll are a hoot!

Thanks for the laughter I got.

Jim .....Wow! That's great ! What an experience ! I have actually never fished for bass. I might just look into that. Don't you have to keep in a boat like your troling?

Where I'm at its mostly trout. I have fished for some catfish . I actually caught a turtle the size of a serving plate and a 23 lb channel catfish.  That was fun. I would like to go to Alaska before I'm 65 and fish for salmon. 

About being a baby....I get really nervous during my infusions I actually pulled my iv out of my hand because the nurse flushed it before she pulled it out  because I was finished and I felt the temperature change as she started flushing and I pulled the sucker right out.