Hit the 3 year mark and I am no longer a "Borg" :)

Last week I had my scan and I'm still NED so that puts me at three years remisson!  Yay!  Today, my port was removed so I am no longer a member of the "Borg" (Reference Star Trek, Borg Collective). Wink  The extra "nipples" are gone! 

I am very grateful and hugs and smiles to all of you!

Comments

• NANCYL1
    NANCYL1 Member Posts: 289
    THREE YEAR MARK!

Jim:

Great News!  Have a Spot of Tea, as the English say.

Nancy

Bunnies - Two cute bunnies in tea cups! .:^_^:.

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,803 Member
    Yea!

Delighted to hear it Jim, Superhero of this Board for so many years !

max

• Great Job!

You walked the walk my man! Hope to follow in your footsteps. Now get on with life. We only have so much of it to enjoy!

• Sten
    Sten Member Posts: 162 Member
    unknown said:

Great Job!

You walked the walk my man! Hope to follow in your footsteps. Now get on with life. We only have so much of it to enjoy!

Congrats!

Hi Jimwins!

Congratulations!

Enjoy life!

Sten

• Jeff148
    Jeff148 Member Posts: 184
    Awesome!!!!!

Great news. I'm so happy for you and your family! You're going to miss the third nipple. 

• Rocquie
    Rocquie Member Posts: 868 Member
    Congratulations!

I'm happy for you. I look forward to the day I get mine out.

I am curious about the procedure? My first port became infected and had to be removed. I was left with a huge gaping hole in my chest which my husband had to pack and dress everyday for weeks. It was tedious for him and painful as giddyup for me. 

In a "normal" circumstances, did you have it done at the hospital? Do you have stitches? Were you sedated? 

Congratulations on having your chest back!

Cheers,

Rocquie

• jimwins
    jimwins Member Posts: 2,107
    Rocquie said:

Congratulations!

I'm happy for you. I look forward to the day I get mine out.

I am curious about the procedure? My first port became infected and had to be removed. I was left with a huge gaping hole in my chest which my husband had to pack and dress everyday for weeks. It was tedious for him and painful as giddyup for me. 

In a "normal" circumstances, did you have it done at the hospital? Do you have stitches? Were you sedated? 

Congratulations on having your chest back!

Cheers,

Rocquie

Thank you all

Thanks everyone!  Rocquie, the procedure was done outpatient at the hospital and took about 45 minutes or so.  I was not sedated but of course they used local anasthesia.  The doctor used what he called a "bovie" which is like a scalpel that cauterizes as it cuts to reduce bleeding.  He had expected some challenges in removing it as it had been in for three years but luckily, there were none.  He used internal stitches that dissolve and applied "liquid stitches" or "skin glue" to the outside.  I was able to drive myself home afterwards. I'm basically done unless I have any problems.

I now have a hairless patch on my chest in that area but it'll be back in no time :).  I was told I can shower in 24 hours but not to scrub that area and there were other instructions.  I'm a little sore today but not bad.  According to them removal is much simpler than placement.

Hugs

• jimwins
    Jeff148 said:

Awesome!!!!!

Great news. I'm so happy for you and your family! You're going to miss the third nipple. 

LOL

It was a dual port so two extra nipples I guess ;).  I definitely don't miss the little tube that went down my neck which was barely noticeable but I noticed it and could feel it. 

Thanks, Jeff.

Jim

• jimwins
    NANCYL1 said:

THREE YEAR MARK!

Jim:

Great News!  Have a Spot of Tea, as the English say.

Nancy

Bunnies - Two cute bunnies in tea cups! .:^_^:.

Thanks

Thank you, Nancy.  I think I'd prefer a margarita but should wait a little while I guess ;).

• jimwins

Yea!

Delighted to hear it Jim, Superhero of this Board for so many years !

max

Thanks

Thanks, Max.  No superhero here - if anything, the funny sidekick!  :)

• jimwins
    unknown said:

Great Job!

Thanks

Thanks so much, buddy!

• jimwins
    Sten said:

Congrats!

Hi Jimwins!

Congratulations!

Enjoy life!

Sten

Thanks

Thank you, Sten!

• illead
    illead Member Posts: 884 Member
    jimwins said:

Thank you all

Thanks everyone!  Rocquie, the procedure was done outpatient at the hospital and took about 45 minutes or so.  I was not sedated but of course they used local anasthesia.  The doctor used what he called a "bovie" which is like a scalpel that cauterizes as it cuts to reduce bleeding.  He had expected some challenges in removing it as it had been in for three years but luckily, there were none.  He used internal stitches that dissolve and applied "liquid stitches" or "skin glue" to the outside.  I was able to drive myself home afterwards. I'm basically done unless I have any problems.

I now have a hairless patch on my chest in that area but it'll be back in no time :).  I was told I can shower in 24 hours but not to scrub that area and there were other instructions.  I'm a little sore today but not bad.  According to them removal is much simpler than placement.

Hugs

Congrats from us too

That is such good news.  It sure makes it easier to put it behind you and even more so with your port gone.  Thank you for all you do to keep us all upbeat,  Bill has a CT scan Mon.  Ever since his relapse, it's a little more nerve wracking.  Hope you have that margarita soon!

You're the best, B&B

illead said:

Congrats from us too

That is such good news.  It sure makes it easier to put it behind you and even more so with your port gone.  Thank you for all you do to keep us all upbeat,  Bill has a CT scan Mon.  Ever since his relapse, it's a little more nerve wracking.  Hope you have that margarita soon!

You're the best, B&B

A thought

Jim and Becky,

I guess I could tolerate being a Cyborg if they paid me like the Terminator....

Will say a prayer for Bill's CT Monday, Becky. Biopsy results  for me Wednesday morning.  Like Alfred E. Neuwman used to say on the cover of Mad Magazine, "What ? Me worry ?"

max

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_E._Neuman#mediaviewer/File:Alfred_E._Neumann.jpg

• illead
    illead Member Posts: 884 Member

A thought

Jim and Becky,

I guess I could tolerate being a Cyborg if they paid me like the Terminator....

Will say a prayer for Bill's CT Monday, Becky. Biopsy results  for me Wednesday morning.  Like Alfred E. Neuwman used to say on the cover of Mad Magazine, "What ? Me worry ?"

max

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_E._Neuman#mediaviewer/File:Alfred_E._Neumann.jpg

That was fast

Thought you had longer to wait.  Of course my thoughts and prayers are with you too.  I sure hope it's good news.

We'll be waiting to hear,

Becky

• givingrace
    givingrace Member Posts: 161
    illead said:

That was fast

Thought you had longer to wait.  Of course my thoughts and prayers are with you too.  I sure hope it's good news.

We'll be waiting to hear,

Becky

I am really happy for you

I am really happy for you Jim.

Like Becky said thanks for keeping things up beat for us you really do bring smiles to this forum.  

Congratulations and big hugs to you . :)

~GG~

• anliperez915
    anliperez915 Member Posts: 770
    Awesome news Jim!!

Awesome news Jim!!!

sorry for the late reply, I just logged in and saw the great news! Huge HUGS buddy...

sincerely,

Liz

• Aaron
    Aaron Member Posts: 237
    Great to hear

Great news Jim, I so glad your doing well. If I get lucky with another good scan in a few months I'll be joining you in being deborgified ;) hmmm.. May have just coined a new word I'd like to see more of around here, be well my friend

Aaron said:

Great to hear

Great news Jim, I so glad your doing well. If I get lucky with another good scan in a few months I'll be joining you in being deborgified ;) hmmm.. May have just coined a new word I'd like to see more of around here, be well my friend

Delighted

Delighted you checked in, Aaron !

You know us, we make up our own language as we go along....

max

• Aaron
    Aaron Member Posts: 237

Delighted

Delighted you checked in, Aaron !

You know us, we make up our own language as we go along....

max

Always lurking

im always watching and reading. I've been tempted to reply to jeffs " possible nlphl causes " thread but I'm convinced it takes so long to present its almost impossible to determine. I'll be keeping a watchful eye on your " prostate progress " as it were and making snide and inappropriate comments whenever possible ;)